SEC Refs Suck

Nueces River Rat

Refs have been insanely biased this year and are very clearly working to rig games. Off the top of my head:

- NIU vs. ND, refs spotting the NIU running back a yard short to force them to kick a FG and give ND a late chance to win

- Tulane vs. K-State, refs took Tulane's game-winning TD off the board with a phantom OPI call

- Texas vs. Michigan, weak holding call to kill our first drive and swallowing whistles when Ewers was hit late

- SCar vs. LSU, refs wiped a pick-six off the board with an insanely rigged call (QBs can be blocked like any other player after an INT!!!) and a phantom false start that had Fowler openly questioning the officiating

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, TxSecede said:

Absolute travesty in the LSU @ USC game. Refs stole it from South Carolina 

Yeah it was disappointing 

I was hoping for less biased officiating in SEC but it’s not always possible I guess. Fucked that LSU is getting special treatment too fuck them. Dirty ass team. 

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Last year in the Big 12 we were constantly screwed over on spots.  It drove me nuts. No one here really discussed it much or if they did I missed it.  Last night, let's just say the SEC refs like us a lot more than the Big 12 ones did with respect to spots.  It was like opposite day.

You definitely missed it

• Hook 'Em 3

Didn't see that one, there was a play in the UK/UGa game where you UK was called for facemask,correct call, but on that same play a UK ballcarrier had his facemask grabbed and helmet eventually came off... No flag on that.  So what should've been offsetting penalties was the penalty on UK alone.  It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game most likely but bullshit is bullshit. 

General incompetence has crept across lots of industries. While refs incompetence is obvious and doesn't affect my life directly at all, try the incompetent airline steward, chef, bank teller, etc. There's some degradation in even the higher professions. If you can just meet a standard and give a crap about your job, you are now a shining star in the workplace. Now get off my lawn!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Didn't see that one, there was a play in the UK/UGa game where you UK was called for facemask,correct call, but on that same play a UK ballcarrier had his facemask grabbed and helmet eventually came off... No flag on that.  So what should've been offsetting penalties was the penalty on UK alone.  It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game most likely but bullshit is bullshit. 

Play I'm referring to here... 

No flag on UGa. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You definitely missed it

Probably on the game threads, which don't interest me as I like to watch the games with friends.  And they are too long to-reread.  But the spots have been horribly biased against us for years in the Big 12, especially since we announced we were departing.  Last night the spotters were very favorable to us.  

• Hook 'Em 1

General incompetence has crept across lots of industries. While refs incompetence is obvious and doesn't affect my life directly at all, try the incompetent airline steward, chef, bank teller, etc. There's some degradation in even the higher professions. If you can just meet a standard and give a crap about your job, you are now a shining star in the workplace. Now get off my lawn!

It was always there.

It’s surprising to me that people find this so surprising. Each Saturday how many games are played? 50 D1? 200 total ncaa? That’s a lot of refs…making for a high potential for the internet to catch every possible missed call. 

People are not watching all of the games. But we the fans shouldn’t be able to see more penalties or spot issues, or other infractions/fumbles more than the 7 professionals on the field.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

People are not watching all of the games. But we the fans shouldn’t be able to see more penalties or spot issues, or other infractions/fumbles more than the 7 professionals on the field.

Some refs are unintentionally biased (read: all), sometimes enough so that it colors their officiating. Some are consciously biased and allow it to color their officiating. All have moments of inattention for whatever reason-- back hurts, thinking of soon-to-be ex-wife that is leaving them, have to sneeze, etc. They are often quick to defer to a colleague, magnifying errors that should have been corrected by a second set of eyes. Often only one set of eyes is on a play, and the moment of inattention means that it is seen out of context or not seen. Multiplying it out, there are on the order of 100,000 instances of a player being on the field for a play in FBS in a week. How curious it would be if millions of detectives with pause and rewind on their screens could find few or no examples of official error in such a large sample.

The problem lies in sorting out and trying to address the distinct forms of error. We are not going to be able to do much for the guy who is distracted because he spends his game trying to hold in a wet fart. The egregious face-mask on the ball-carrier or the all-penalties-on-one-team behavior merits inquiry by a body with the will and ability to apply meaningful consequences.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Probably on the game threads, which don't interest me as I like to watch the games with friends.  And they are too long to-reread.  But the spots have been horribly biased against us for years in the Big 12, especially since we announced we were departing.  Last night the spotters were very favorable to us.  

Nah there was multiple pages and angles and videos in the big 12 ref thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Refs have been insanely biased this year and are very clearly working to rig games. Off the top of my head:

- NIU vs. ND, refs spotting the NIU running back a yard short to force them to kick a FG and give ND a late chance to win

- Tulane vs. K-State, refs took Tulane's game-winning TD off the board with a phantom OPI call

- Texas vs. Michigan, weak holding call to kill our first drive and swallowing whistles when Ewers was hit late

- SCar vs. LSU, refs wiped a pick-six off the board with an insanely rigged call (QBs can be blocked like any other player after an INT!!!) and a phantom false start that had Fowler openly questioning the officiating

Meh. Refs always do that. Humans are always going to have a bias. 

Doubt they are actively trying to rig games for K-State, they just suck sometimes.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's not corruption it's that they are old white guys who can't get into position, don't get demoted if they fuck up, and probably don't even review their own mistakes.

Don’t think being white has anything to do with it.  The worst official in the Big 12 is Asian.  

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Coctostan said:

College refs don't get paid a lot. And there's a whole lot of money sloshing around college sports gambling these days. If there hasn't been some shady business yet, there will be soon. It's just human nature - and a lack of serious oversight.

Heck, Tim Donaghy made $400k a year in the NBA .

It is kinda shocking the difference in pay between college and pro.

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

The worst call I have seen all year was the spot of the NIU QB on 4th down.  And then it was upheld on review.  That was some criminal conspiracy level crap.  He was a yard past the first down.  Glad NIU held on to win.

Gamecock OPI says hold my beer

Some refs are unintentionally biased (read: all), sometimes enough so that it colors their officiating. Some are consciously biased and allow it to color their officiating. All have moments of inattention for whatever reason-- back hurts, thinking of soon-to-be ex-wife that is leaving them, have to sneeze, etc. They are often quick to defer to a colleague, magnifying errors that should have been corrected by a second set of eyes. Often only one set of eyes is on a play, and the moment of inattention means that it is seen out of context or not seen. Multiplying it out, there are on the order of 100,000 instances of a player being on the field for a play in FBS in a week. How curious it would be if millions of detectives with pause and rewind on their screens could find few or no examples of official error in such a large sample.
The problem lies in sorting out and trying to address the distinct forms of error. We are not going to be able to do much for the guy who is distracted because he spends his game trying to hold in a wet fart. The egregious face-mask on the ball-carrier or the all-penalties-on-one-team behavior merits inquiry by a body with the will and ability to apply meaningful consequences.

I don’t use pause and rewind. I can see penalties from a worse angle and I can see spots are sometimes systemically biased or just bad.

I am viewing the field through a producers lens and I don’t get the benefit of seeing the whole field. I can appreciate how sometimes the refs positions make it difficult, but they do have access to replay and the same camera angles. I am not a million people and I don’t have a 2 million eyes working for me Mr. Eck.

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I don’t use pause and rewind. I can see penalties from a worse angle and I can see spots are sometimes systemically biased or just bad.

I am viewing the field through a producers lens and I don’t get the benefit of seeing the whole field. I can appreciate how sometimes the refs positions make it difficult, but they do have access to replay and the same camera angles. I am not a million people and I don’t have a 2 million eyes working for me Mr. Eck.

I'm not sure we disagree. I don't see everything perfectly first time watching at normal speed. Sometimes I see things better than the official does. If the standard is perfection in real time, we are unlikely ever to be satisfied. If the standard is honesty and getting it better where replay permits, I think we have room for improvement.

11 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's not corruption it's that they are old white guys who can't get into position, don't get demoted if they fuck up, and probably don't even review their own mistakes.

One of the videos in this thread has a young black man making a bad call.

are you retarded?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Nivek said:

They've got that asshole center judge (C) in the backfield now, too, throwing chicken shit roughing the passer flags and fucking up spots.

• Like 1