SEC Refs Suck

Nueces River Rat

15 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

RRS today was our worst officiated game of the year

That last drive was so frustrating. Even Fowler and Herbie were commenting on the officials “letting things go”. Fucking dumbass Fowler even praised as them getting the game over quicker. Thats such bullshit. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That last drive was so frustrating. Even Fowler and Herbie were commenting on the officials “letting things go”. Fucking dumbass Fowler even praised as them getting the game over quicker. Thats such bullshit. 

Yes it was a ridiculous thing to say. Thankfully we still held them out of the end zone 11 on 18.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why does every fucking call require a goddamned summit conference?  I bet there is 10 minutes added to every game by refs discussing calls.  So fucking frustrating. 

Fewer committee meetings and more willingness to call holding are two areas I will admit to liking the sec refs over the big 12.

I continue to believe that >99% of bad calls are due not to bias but to incompetence.

It’s not what caused our offense to suck, but the absolute bear hug holding by their OL has kept us from getting to Beck.  I’ve been watching it for years, I am certain the SEC team teach their lines to hold because what are the refs going to do?   They might call a few of them but they aren’t going to throw flags every single down.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I feel like that is just how he does things. Bend but don’t break type shit. Because it’s been consistent

It is. Occasionally you have to deviate from that when game situation dictates. Like- when they have to ball on the 28 up 8 and you. Red to inflict negatives or have them score in a hurry so you don’t give up points and let them wind down the clock. 

we need a standalone thread titled "the incident"

i have seen mexican soccer fans throw bottles, drinks and trash on the field

maybe it's happened before in college football

but i don't recall it

and regardless of the total justification for the outrage, i think we are going to catch hell for this

+++

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41895287/georgia-weathers-bizarre-overturned-call-beat-no-1-texas

Georgia weathers 'unfortunate' overturned call to beat No. 1 Texas

In a city that prides itself on keeping things weird, a crazy sequence of events nearly helped the Longhorns get back in the game.

With Texas trailing 23-8 with three minutes left in the third quarter, Bulldogs quarterback Carson Beck threw down the left sideline for receiver Arian Smith on third-and-10 from the Georgia 31. Longhorns safety Jahdae Barron stepped in front of Smith and intercepted the pass. He returned it 36 yards to the Georgia 9.

That's when things got strange. Initially, officials penalized Barron for pass interference, giving the ball back to the Bulldogs. Referee Matt Loeffler announced the call to the crowd and walked off the 15-yard penalty to the Georgia 44.

Texas fans booed the call while watching replays on the stadium's jumbotron. Some fans threw debris into the north end zone, stopping play for a few minutes. While staff members and security cleaned up the bottles, officials conferred again and reversed the call.

When Loeffler told Smart about the reversal on the sideline, the Georgia coach told him, "You can't do that! You can't do that! ... That's bulls---!"

"Now we've set a precedent that if you throw a bunch of stuff on the field and endanger athletes, that you've got a chance to get your call reversed," Smart said. "And that's unfortunate because, to me, that's dangerous. That's not what we want, and that's not criticizing officials. That's what happened."

Smart said Loeffler suggested to him that the penalty was called on the wrong player -- that it should have been offensive pass interference against Smith.

"It took him a long time to realize that," Smart said.

In a statement released early Sunday morning, the SEC said officials "gathered to discuss the play, which is permitted to ensure the proper penalty is enforced."

At that time, according to the league, "the calling official reported that he erred, and a foul should not have been called for defensive pass interference. Consequently, Texas was awarded the ball at the [Georgia] 9-yard line."

"While the original evaluation and assessment of the penalty was not properly executed, it is unacceptable to have debris thrown on the field at any time," the SEC statement said.

The league said it would review fan's conduct related to its sportsmanship policies and procedures.

"I understand the frustration," Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said. "We were all frustrated in the moment, but all of us, the Longhorn Nation, I know we can be better than that."

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said officials didn't explain to him why the call was reversed.

"I understand the frustration," Sarkisian said. "We were all frustrated in the moment, but all of us, the Longhorn Nation, I know we can be better than that."

Barron told reporters that the delay in cleaning up the bottles on the field "most likely" helped in officials changing the call.

"It was crazy," Barron said. "I thought it was a bad call, so it was good that it changed."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

good on the students.  throwing the shit fixed the bullshit refs mistake 

For real. If that's going to work going forward, might as well go fully Philly fan. Fuck it. Make the refs feel unsafe. If UGA can get away with bear hugging Colin Simmons (which was NOT the reason we lost, you fucking pedants), then maybe the refs need a little "motivation" to get the calls right

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen it posted yet that the first bottle/full can of beer flew over the Georgia bench and landed somewhere around the south 35 yardline.  Kirby ran out on the field pointing at it like a little bitch.  Mob mentality took over and the northeast corner of the stadium and north end zone saw that and decided to join in.

• Hook 'Em 3

All week, radio and podcasters were asking, "What happens if Georgia gets its 2nd loss?" and "What happens if Bama/Tenn gets its 2nd loss?" and "Does a 3-loss SEC team get into the playoff?"  Questions like that and ref-conference affiliation will result in comments and concerns of competence vs. influence vs. malice.  

There is too much money at stake - esp. in a playoff situation - to allow too many of your conference teams to fall out of the top-12.

That aside, the refs influenced both the Texas/UGA game and the Tenn/Bama game.  Texas lost on its own - refs did not tip the scale, despite their thumb being there.

Oh, and Kirby Smart is a clown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Kind of interesting all the comments on the fans throwing trash on the field. I seem to remember a TN game a couple years ago where the fans trashed the field and a number of people in that thread went off about how trashy (no pun intended) the TN fans and SEC fans in general were.

Fan interruption should be a delay of game on the home team.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Kind of interesting all the comments on the fans throwing trash on the field. I seem to remember a TN game a couple years ago where the fans trashed the field and a number of people in that thread went off about how trashy (no pun intended) the TN fans and SEC fans in general were.

Fan interruption should be a delay of game on the home team.

fuck that, the fans saved the refs asses here perfect outcome. 

let's not act like this was a common occurrence.  this was an extremely egregious bad call on the refs part 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

SEC refs are 100x better than Big12 refs. 

Agreed.  They call holding, face masks, and PI in this conference.  They got both targeting calls right last night.  And the one DPI call, which was egregiously wrong on the field, was corrected.

The only thing I was left to complain about was the holding on the long kick return after Georgia scored their first TD.  And it looked like they got away with a worse hold not long after that.

But there was always a lot more to complain about with Big 12 refs.

• Hook 'Em 3

Let’s talk about the holding on the kick return. I was at the game last night sitting in section 16, just to the west of the student section. I swear it looked like the flag came from the Georgia bench. The line judge was 20 yards downfield sprinting away from the area where the flag landed. Was there a good shot of where it came from?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Two K said:

Let’s talk about the holding on the kick return. I was at the game last night sitting in section 16, just to the west of the student section. I swear it looked like the flag came from the Georgia bench. The line judge was 20 yards downfield sprinting away from the area where the flag landed. Was there a good shot of where it came from?

ha  announcers said they thought it came from the stands 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

They showed a replay of it a couple minutes later during the broadcast, it came from the official on the sideline further up the field. He launched it.

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They should’ve picked up the flag, given Texas the ball, and given Texas a 15 yard unsportsmanlike for the delay of game. So the got it 2/3 right. 

Refs can’t penalize a team for fan behavior. It’s weird but true - nothing a fan does can result in a on-field penalty. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i watched aggy/klanaggy yesterday

the zebras threw 4 mystery flags on aggyaggy

they were trying to keep klanaggy in it

///

flash back to 2 weeks ago

aggy against missouri the fix was in

osu15 level shenanigans

missouri quit when it was obvious they were not going to be allowed to compete much less win

///

so here we are in this new conference and new playoff era

we have escaped the sewer where yormark, mar and company ply their trade

we no longer have to earn 12 yards for every first down

but if the money is too much and the job to big for the conferences, the p4 are going to have to create a national professional referee system with randomly drawn assignments in to crews with zero school affiliation

the call that led to the incident was exactly like the key call that went for aggy against missouri: the EXACT OPPOSITE of what actually happened

i refuse to believe these calls are the result of incompetence, or accidents, because there is a pattern, and something has to be done about it

after all, too much money is at stake