SEC Refs Suck

Nueces River Rat

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

aggy against missouri the fix was in

osu15 level shenanigans

missouri quit when it was obvious they were not going to be allowed to compete much less win

It was more like the tcu game in austin 4 or 5 years ago where every big Texas play had a flag to negate it. Like the phantom opi call on I think Jake smith. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I do wish they called the clothesline the OL gave mukuba. That was early on their only scoring drive of the second half, and if that penalty is called and they back up 5 yards maybe they don’t convert and the drive stalls out early, with Texas continuing the huge momentum with good field position. 

im also at the point of wanting to fair catch every kick because we can’t seem to attempt a runback without getting caught holding. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Agreed.  They call holding, face masks, and PI in this conference.  They got both targeting calls right last night.  And the one DPI call, which was egregiously wrong on the field, was corrected.
The only thing I was left to complain about was the holding on the long kick return after Georgia scored their first TD.  And it looked like they got away with a worse hold not long after that.
But there was always a lot more to complain about with Big 12 refs.

They let GA hold all damn night. Missed at least one targeting and a facemask. But hey, they correct one shamefully bad call after they started to worry about making it out alive.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I do with they called the clothesline the OL gave mukuba. That was early on their only scoring drive of the second half, and if that penalty is called and they back up 5 yards maybe they don’t convert and the drive stalls out early, with Texas continuing the huge momentum with good field position. 

im also at the point of wanting to fair catch every kick because we can’t seem to attempt a runback without getting caught holding. 

That clothesline may have saved a safety.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The kickoff hold had a huge effect on the game.  It was the kickoff after Georgia went up 7-0, and we were in excellent field position to answer a score with a score.  Instead, we're snapping it 60+ yards back from our own 8 (? - this is from memory), and end up punting from our own end zone and Georgia got an easy FG to go up 10-0.

I was at the game, so I don't know what replays showed on TV, but the replay on the Jumbotron left 100,000 Texas fans looking at each other and asking, "Holding on WHO?" 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

The kickoff hold had a huge effect on the game.  It was the kickoff after Georgia went up 7-0, and we were in excellent field position to answer a score with a score.  Instead, we're snapping it 60+ yards back from our own 8 (? - this is from memory), and end up punting from our own end zone and Georgia got an easy FG to go up 10-0.

I was at the game, so I don't know what replays showed on TV, but the replay on the Jumbotron left 100,000 Texas fans looking at each other and asking, "Holding on WHO?" 

I feel like there was a tight shot of a clear hold right as golden ran through the line. Wasn’t on 24 who they called, though. 

32 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Pretty sure they face masked one of our dudes on that play so at a minimum a rekick would have helped.

The linesman on our side and back judge ignored some blatant calls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

SEC refs are 100x better than Big12 refs. 

eh, I agree there are fewer ridiculous 3 minute conferences to call illegal motion or offsides but they are still bad on holding and PI.

our fans were right.  It was so obviously a horrendously shitty call they actually changed it and made up some BS excuse about meaning to call it OPI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I was more pissed that we're trying to return kicks from 3 yards deep in 2024

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

eh, I agree there are fewer ridiculous 3 minute conferences to call illegal motion or offsides but they are still bad on holding and PI.

The only improvement I've noticed are they call slightly more holding and blessedly fewer committe meetings 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

our fans were right.  It was so obviously a horrendously shitty call they actually changed it and made up some BS excuse about meaning to call it OPI.

They might still be bad on holding and PI, or it might just be some fans are emotional “fanatics” who don’t know what holding and PI really are and how it’s officiated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gernblansten said:

They might still be bad on holding and PI, or it might just be some fans are emotional “fanatics” who don’t know what holding and PI really are and how it’s officiated. 

so how is it officiated oh great oracle of refereeing?  like when we knew what DPI actually is and they had to overturn it because even the ref didn't know?

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

I'm not a fan of throwing trash on the field. That's trashy. I do wonder, though, if that's what gave the refs enough time to change the ruling. No trash probably means next play starts quickly enough to prevent a call change.

There's no question that they would've snapped the ball before it could've been reversed.  Georgia was lined up and ready to go when the first bottle flew, and the refs were in position for the next play.

Which does raise the point that it was actually Kirby Smart who stopped the play for going ahead, as WBT pointed out--

4 hours ago, WBT said:

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen it posted yet that the first bottle/full can of beer flew over the Georgia bench and landed somewhere around the south 35 yardline.  Kirby ran out on the field pointing at it like a little bitch.  Mob mentality took over and the northeast corner of the stadium and north end zone saw that and decided to join in.

Yep--some hero in pretty expensive seats on the East Side threw the first bottle that landed around the numbers at the 35 (so probably about ten yards behind the line of scrimmage after the penalty).  Kirby ran out screaming about the bottle, obviously trying to get a penalty call, as it was so far behind the LOS that it couldn't really affect the upcoming play.

It was only after the refs blew the whistle to pick up the first bottle that the student section started throwing bottles en masse.  

So yeah--maybe people shouldn't throw shit on the field.  And maybe SEC refs shouldn't suck.  But let's not overlook that the entire episode started because Kirby Smart stopped the game trying to get a flag on Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The complete lack of acknowledging the TX RT holding pretty constantly is kind of amazing. If everyone is going to keep going on about GA holding, you have to at least acknowledge the refs weren’t exactly throwing flags on anyone for holding.

This place spends more time bitching about officiating than actually watching the games sometimes I think. If refs are one sided then it’s a good time complain, they weren’t last night.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

The complete lack of acknowledging the TX RT holding pretty constantly is kind of amazing. If everyone is going to keep going on about GA holding, you have to at least acknowledge the refs weren’t exactly throwing flags on anyone for holding.

This place spends more time bitching about officiating than actually watching the games sometimes I think. If refs are one sided then it’s a good time complain, they weren’t last night.

Cam Williams could've done quite a lot more holding, I can tell you that.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I asked my friend who is a ref and the Cal refs were actually wrong here lol. 

The rule omits fans from being subject to penalty. The band would be- but hit a simple attendee is:

9-2-1)

There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players, substitutes, coaches, authorized attendants or any other persons subject to the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods. Infractions for these acts by players are administered as either live-ball or dead-ball fouls depending on when they occur.

2 hours ago, Tony Two K said:

Let’s talk about the holding on the kick return. I was at the game last night sitting in section 16, just to the west of the student section. I swear it looked like the flag came from the Georgia bench. The line judge was 20 yards downfield sprinting away from the area where the flag landed. Was there a good shot of where it came from?

The called it on #17. Go ahead and tell me who wears #17 on Texas's roster.  

Spoiler

Nobody

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

I'm not a fan of throwing trash on the field. That's trashy. I do wonder, though, if that's what gave the refs enough time to change the ruling. No trash probably means next play starts quickly enough to prevent a call change.

sec refs have always had carte blanche to call what they want and have never encountered a fanbase that isn't going to go take it without lube

see kirby's reaction in the esipn article posted above

this is new for the sec

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Bottlegate (yea I'm calling it) was the culmination of a decade of shit rig12 reffing plus that bullshit holding call.

The fans have had enough of the fuckery so the frustration bubbled like a fart on Thanksgiving.

Those refs feared for their lives. It wouldn't be that way if they called a fair game.

Here we are. 

Perhaps that protest will change something.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Brew said:

If refs are one sided then it’s a good time complain, they weren’t last night.

please cite 2 examples of extremely egregious calls in our favor against georgia that compare in severity to the kickoff return hold and the trash-on-field PI

if you can, you're right

if you can't you're not

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

They let GA hold all damn night. Missed at least one targeting and a facemask. But hey, they correct one shamefully bad call after they started to worry about making it out alive.

Agreed. They got away with a lot of holding that exceeded the threshold of what one would call ticky tacky. Most of it was on the edges. Now whether that was intentional bias, don't know, but it's infuriating. I don't expect every call to be made, but some semblance of equity needs to be there and also acknowledge that on occasion, we get away with some too. I do think that fans often don't understand how easy it is for an official to miss something going on in real time though. The game is played fast and they are only human with a lot going on around them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Bottlegate (yea I'm calling it) was the culmination of a decade of shit rig12 reffing plus that bullshit holding call.

The fans have had enough of the fuckery so the frustration bubbled like a fart on Thanksgiving.

Those refs feared for their lives. It wouldn't be that way if they called a fair game.

Here we are. 

Perhaps that protest will change something.

this

however there will only be change if cdc and eltife get on the phone and take the lead

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:
2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I feel like there was a tight shot of a clear hold right as golden ran through the line. Wasn’t on 24 who they called, though.

I don't know if anyone else held, but Roberson screwed the pooch twice on holding last night. It was clear on the two replays I saw. Banks jumped his ass on the sideline for it after the first one and damned if he didn't do it again. It was absolutely stupid and as is often the case, not needed. His initial block was enough to clear the way for the return. Zero situational awareness.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

sec refs have always had carte blanche to call what they want and have never encountered a fanbase that isn't going to go take it without lube

see kirby's reaction in the esipn article posted above

this is new for the sec

After living through the Rig12, our fan base isn't having it.

Say what you will, the refs reversed this call b/c they were afraid for their lives. Without the fans revolting, the call stands. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

please cite 2 examples of extremely egregious calls in our favor against georgia that compare in severity to the kickoff return hold and the trash-on-field PI

if you can, you're right

if you can't you're not

Watch the kickoff return again, there was a clear hold. If you watched the broadcast, they replayed it 2-3 times. You can debate the lack of calls on other holds, but calling that one egregious is ridiculous. The other call was egregious and was overturned. If you go visit a GA board they are all going on about the officials and how they favored TX. Seems to be the only thing fans agree on, the officials always favor the other team and are in their pockets.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Watch the kickoff return again, there was a clear hold. If you watched the broadcast, they replayed it 2-3 times. You can debate the lack of calls on other holds, but calling that one egregious is ridiculous. The other call was egregious and was overturned. If you go visit a GA board they are all going on about the officials and how they favored TX. Seems to be the only thing fans agree on, the officials always favor the other team and are in their pockets.

I guess the thing that makes me question the holds on kickoffs is that it is rarely called.   And twice in one game against the same team is almost like snow on the equator.    The most obvious penalty we do see called is your standard blocks in the back which many times are called on blocks that wouldn’t have had any impact on the tackle being made by the kickoff team.  

You can’t hold the home team responsible for what fans are doing in the stands. There were a lot of Georgia fans there- wouldn’t be fair if they started throwing things in the field and Texas had to take the penalty. You can delay the restart of the game so fans start getting pissed and hold each other accountable but I don’t think you can penalize one team for what the crowd does because you can’t be certain who the offending fans are supporting.

I am very much in favor of bottle throwing in these situations. Shit, I’d buy replacement beers for the whole section.  How is officiating this bad? And don’t give me the speed of the game or only being human bullshit.  They should be analyzed, rated, and then promoted or fired based on accuracy. They didn’t necessarily decide the game, we sucked enough on our own, but they impacted it in favor of one side all night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Brew said:

i've got the recording but i can't stomach turning it on

995ers will shirley have it broken down tomorrow

i hope i stand corrected

It's hilarious reading posts all over Reddit and other social media today, especially from Aggy.  It's all "We told ya'll, Texas is toxic!  They pay off the refs!  Ya'll wouldn't listen!!!"  Fucks sake, we've only been in this godawful conference for a few weeks and the refs being shit already has us painted as evil cheating moustache twirling villains.  

Can't wait to mudhole Aggy at the end of the year.  

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i've got the recording but i can't stomach turning it on

995ers will shirley have it broken down tomorrow

i hope i stand corrected

From the timing and game circumstance, I would think the non call against the GA DE who jumped the snap would have been more of an issue. However, they were not really calling the lines for much of anything whether it was false starts, holding, etc. There were a couple of facemasks missed both directions. It felt loose overall which is what most fans would prefer I would think over what we got in the TN/AL game. They were calling everything and then clearly missing delay of game calls.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41904999/texas-apologizes-georgia-officials-sec-fan-behavior

Texas apologizes to Georgia, officials, SEC for fan behavior

Texas officials issued an apology Sunday for fans throwing trash onto the field after a controversial pass interference call in the No. 1 Longhorns' 30-15 loss to No. 5 Georgia on Saturday night.

"While we deeply appreciate the passion and loyalty of our fan base at The University of Texas at Austin, we do not condone the unsportsmanlike conduct that was exhibited by some individuals throwing objects onto the field during last night's game and sincerely apologize to the University of Georgia players, coaches, and fans, as well as the Southeastern Conference and officiating crew," said a statement from Texas Board of Regents chairman Kevin Eltife, UT president Jay Hartzell and athletic director Chris Del Conte.

"This type of behavior will not be tolerated."

Trailing 23-8 in the third quarter, Texas safety Jahdae Barron stepped in front of Georgia's Arian Smith and intercepted a pass, returning it 36 yards to the Georgia 9 and giving Texas new life. Officials called pass interference on Barron, however, and the 15-yard penalty was marked off.

Texas fans booed the call while watching multiple replays on the stadium's videoboard, and trash started streaming down onto the field from near the student section, stopping play for a few minutes. While Texas coach Steve Sarkisian walked all the way to the 10-yard line to tell fans to stop, staff members and security cleaned up the bottles as officials conferred again.

The call was overturned after the stoppage, which raised concerns that the behavior actually helped the Longhorns.

"Now we've set a precedent that if you throw a bunch of stuff on the field and endanger athletes that you've got a chance to get your call reversed," Georgia coach Kirby Smart said after the game. "And that's unfortunate because, to me, that's dangerous. That's not what we want, and that's not criticizing officials. That's what happened."

In a statement early Sunday morning, the SEC said officials "gathered to discuss the play, which is permitted to ensure the proper penalty is enforced."

Early Sunday morning, Georgia athletic director Josh Brooks said in a post on X that he was "disappointed and frustrated" with how the call was reversed.

"Disagreeing with a singular call is natural and will happen several times in every football game. I can accept that," Brooks said in his post. "What I cannot accept is the manner in which this specific call was reversed. The official claimed he erred in the call. My question is when did he realize the error?

"If it was before the delay that occurred due to fans throwing objects on the field, what stopped him before the head official made the announcement and spotted the ball? I have faith we, as a conference, will learn from this and get better. We must, because in the SEC it just means more."

In 2021, the SEC fined the Volunteers $250,000 after fans threw objects on the field in Lane Kiffin's return against Tennessee, where he had formerly coached. Fans threw bottles, cans and other projectiles at the Ole Miss sideline, including a golf ball that hit Kiffin. Tennessee had just been stopped on fourth down after a questionable spot by officials.

Texas officials said they will take steps to ensure the incident does not happen again.

"We appreciate the support of Longhorn Nation and are confident that, moving forward, we will continue to represent our university with pride and respect," the statement said.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Fan interruption should be a delay of game on the home team.

Not a person in the stadium would have cared. We got horsefucked by the initial call in a pivotal moment that we could have taken over the game. That was an egregiously awful initial call. Thank goodness the idiots in stripes corrected it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

the elephant in the room is that the correct call was made against the wrong team and we have seen it twice in this league in 3 weeks, first for aggy against missouri and last night for georgia against Texas, both times overturning 40-yard explosive plays

that's not incompetence, that's FIFA-level corruption

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Two K said:

Let’s talk about the holding on the kick return. I was at the game last night sitting in section 16, just to the west of the student section. I swear it looked like the flag came from the Georgia bench. The line judge was 20 yards downfield sprinting away from the area where the flag landed. Was there a good shot of where it came from?

That same official flagged the PI in question, despite being 40+ yards away from it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Early Sunday morning, Georgia athletic director Josh Brooks said in a post on X that he was "disappointed and frustrated" with how the call was reversed.

"Disagreeing with a singular call is natural and will happen several times in every football game. I can accept that," Brooks said in his post. "What I cannot accept is the manner in which this specific call was reversed. The official claimed he erred in the call. My question is when did he realize the error?

"If it was before the delay that occurred due to fans throwing objects on the field, what stopped him before the head official made the announcement and spotted the ball? I have faith we, as a conference, will learn from this and get better. We must, because in the SEC it just means more."

josh, you're asking the wrong questions fuckface

the question is, WHAT is it that just means more?

common sense?

or DOLLARS AND CENTS?

Another thing that came up was when Georgia made helm false start on a 4th and 1 by  having the d line shift and the outside backer run at him simultaneously.

Is there a point where that movement becomes simulation and is called on the defense?  What would that point be?  I’d imagine there was an audible signal to initiate the shift so you have the sound plus movement of 4 players, one of which is coming right at you (though I assume he didn’t break the neutral zone?)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Another thing that came up was when Georgia made helm false start on a 4th and 1 by  having the d line shift and the outside backer run at him simultaneously.

Is there a point where that movement becomes simulation and is called on the defense?  What would that point be?  I’d imagine there was an audible signal to initiate the shift so you have the sound plus movement of 4 players, one of which is coming right at you (though I assume he didn’t break the neutral zone?)

isn't that type of shift illegal now?  Sark was all over the officials on it and we even burned a TO because of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

It's hilarious reading posts all over Reddit and other social media today, especially from Aggy.  It's all "We told ya'll, Texas is toxic!  They pay off the refs!  Ya'll wouldn't listen!!!"  Fucks sake, we've only been in this godawful conference for a few weeks and the refs being shit already has us painted as evil cheating moustache twirling villains.  

It’s actually insane, I have never seen a team win a game and at the same time feel like every single call in the game went against them and the refs were obviously paid off. 

They are even making Aggie blush today. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

Fuck aggy--for all their talk about how hard it is to play at Pyle, their fans have never earned their team a goddamned turnover.

And if the message to the SEC refereeing community is "you can't fuck Texas in Austin and expect to escape unharmed," then it's a message I'm glad that we conveyed.  Frankly, it's a message that should've been conveyed back in October 2015 with Kelly Deterding's head on a fucking pike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we need a standalone thread titled "the incident"

i have seen mexican soccer fans throw bottles, drinks and trash on the field

maybe it's happened before in college football

but i don't recall it

and regardless of the total justification for the outrage, i think we are going to catch hell for this

+++

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41895287/georgia-weathers-bizarre-overturned-call-beat-no-1-texas

Georgia weathers 'unfortunate' overturned call to beat No. 1 Texas

In a city that prides itself on keeping things weird, a crazy sequence of events nearly helped the Longhorns get back in the game.

With Texas trailing 23-8 with three minutes left in the third quarter, Bulldogs quarterback Carson Beck threw down the left sideline for receiver Arian Smith on third-and-10 from the Georgia 31. Longhorns safety Jahdae Barron stepped in front of Smith and intercepted the pass. He returned it 36 yards to the Georgia 9.

That's when things got strange. Initially, officials penalized Barron for pass interference, giving the ball back to the Bulldogs. Referee Matt Loeffler announced the call to the crowd and walked off the 15-yard penalty to the Georgia 44.

Texas fans booed the call while watching replays on the stadium's jumbotron. Some fans threw debris into the north end zone, stopping play for a few minutes. While staff members and security cleaned up the bottles, officials conferred again and reversed the call.

When Loeffler told Smart about the reversal on the sideline, the Georgia coach told him, "You can't do that! You can't do that! ... That's bulls---!"

"Now we've set a precedent that if you throw a bunch of stuff on the field and endanger athletes, that you've got a chance to get your call reversed," Smart said. "And that's unfortunate because, to me, that's dangerous. That's not what we want, and that's not criticizing officials. That's what happened."

Smart said Loeffler suggested to him that the penalty was called on the wrong player -- that it should have been offensive pass interference against Smith.

"It took him a long time to realize that," Smart said.

In a statement released early Sunday morning, the SEC said officials "gathered to discuss the play, which is permitted to ensure the proper penalty is enforced."

At that time, according to the league, "the calling official reported that he erred, and a foul should not have been called for defensive pass interference. Consequently, Texas was awarded the ball at the [Georgia] 9-yard line."

"While the original evaluation and assessment of the penalty was not properly executed, it is unacceptable to have debris thrown on the field at any time," the SEC statement said.

The league said it would review fan's conduct related to its sportsmanship policies and procedures.

"I understand the frustration," Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said. "We were all frustrated in the moment, but all of us, the Longhorn Nation, I know we can be better than that."

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said officials didn't explain to him why the call was reversed.

"I understand the frustration," Sarkisian said. "We were all frustrated in the moment, but all of us, the Longhorn Nation, I know we can be better than that."

Barron told reporters that the delay in cleaning up the bottles on the field "most likely" helped in officials changing the call.

"It was crazy," Barron said. "I thought it was a bad call, so it was good that it changed."

I’ve been at Texas ou games back in the day where we students launched cups of Coke and uh something.  Rained Jack and Coke all over us, some of it made the field in pretty sure.

and I don’t give a fuck, the call was fucking horrible. We were told professionalism was as the standard for referees not protecting old guard SEC teams. Fuck that shit. I didn’t throw anything but we shouldn’t apologize for shit. 

Edited by troph