Week 4, 2024; ULM at Texas

Wulaw Horn

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I think Ewers should focus on classes for the next two weeks to make sure he makes honor roll and keep his starting job. NFL scouts really look closely at grades and Sark has openly said A students start ahead of B students.

That’s an option. 

Also, “Here’s all the tape we have on OU and Georgia. Watch the hell out of this for a month or so while you rehab and Arch and Trey go in dry on ULM and MSU. We’ll hand you back the keys in Dallas.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Which is exactly why I changed my prediction from a 3rd quarter pic six to a punt return for TD. Also why I think we'll score less than 60. I anticipate a pretty humdrum game with Texas working Arch in passing early and converting to quick dumps, screens and runs late 3rd and 4th. Maybe test some trickeration plays to give future DCs more to digest.

opposite camp

it's time to go vanilla as possible to keep film exposure to absolute minimum for venables and smart

klan aggy should prove more of a test than ulm but i hope sark uses both to lay down some looks out of which he runs something never before seen in 3 and 4 weeks time

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

opposite camp

it's time to go vanilla as possible to keep film exposure to absolute minimum for venables and smart

klan aggy should prove more of a test than ulm but i hope sark uses both to lay down some looks out of which he runs something never before seen in 3 and 4 weeks time

This is a bad take. It's a FUMB plan. Why the FUCK wouldn't we want our back up getting meanful snaps? If this is sarcasm and I missed it, well, my bad. If it's serious, holy shit, go pull for the Tarheals.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 12:10 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Paying for ESPN+ is a no-brainer, especially if you also watch sports outside of football. Even if you are football only, there will usually be a handful of games each week that are worth checking in on.

There is a good chance anything you watched on LHN previously will be on ESPN+ moving forward, so 95% of games for baseball, softball, women's basketball, etc.

preach.

as someone who works from home, i have ESPN+ on a lot in the background.  i'll watch the most random Tuesday afternoon men's and women's college soccer games, volleyball matches, baseball/softball, you name it.  hell, i had the Harvard/Yale regatta on one weekend earlier this year bc there wasn't shit else on.  but ESPN+ will have something.  and you have access to the 30 for 30 library, all the docs, PGA tour event early round coverage, US Open tennis matches from all the courts.   just so much sports.  i would have OD'd on this shit if it was around when i was 13 years old.

and like others say, with the Disney+ and Hulu bundle, it's worth every penny.

• Hook 'Em 7

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This is a bad take. It's a FUMB plan. Why the FUCK wouldn't we want our back up getting meanful snaps? If this is sarcasm and I missed it, well, my bad. If it's serious, holy shit, go pull for the Tarheals.

agree to disagree

how many "real looks" do we need to give arch to prove he's a jedi that can wield the power of the force?

he's a fucking jedi

we have 2 jedis in the qb room

we already know this

we need to get arch a comfortable lead, and that could take until the 4th quarter, who knows

but if there is any "free time" for real looks with the result settled, then the guy who needs all of the real looks is owens (see: mceachern, randy, fair park, 1977)

and what is the emergency plan behind owens god forbid (NO VOODOO LEGBA BE GONE)

/parcells

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

agree to disagree

how many "real looks" do we need to give arch to prove he's a jedi that can wield the power of the force?

he's a fucking jedi

we have 2 jedis in the qb room

we already know this

we need to get arch a comfortable lead, and that could take until the 4th quarter, who knows

but if there is any "free time" for real looks with the result settled, then the guy who needs all of the real looks is owens (see: mceachern, randy, fair park, 1977)

and what is the emergency plan behind owens god forbid (NO VOODOO LEGBA BE GONE)

/parcells

Enough that he gets the ball out more quickly, doesn’t throw a screen that could be a pick six, and doesn’t get plowed by rushers. It’s all well and good when it’s UTSA. Not so well and good if it’s a team with better athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This has been mentioned some but it's pretty fucking cool that Texas is getting to work on future game installs while OU and Georgia can go get fucked. OU's typical bullshit of playing no one and then showing up with new and well-trained shit against Texas is not a thing this season. 

I'm not impressed with that QB at all.  He's pure asshole once Littrell's script is used up.  We need to keep him from running on us and force the cocksucker to throw it to their slow shitty receivers.  They looked like pure ass against Tulane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:47 AM, Js1 said:

Correct.  SECN+ is an extension of your SEC Network access from your cable or streaming subscription.  ESPN+ is wholly separate from your ESPN access from your cable or streaming subscription.  

This game is accessible via either your SEC Network cable subscription or your extra ESPN+ subscription. 

This is an exercise in terrible branding.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This has been mentioned some but it's pretty fucking cool that Texas is getting to work on future game installs while OU and Georgia can go get fucked. OU's typical bullshit of playing no one and then showing up with new and well-trained shit against Texas is not a thing this season. 

i can't remember what year it was but during the aughts bag of dicks had this "statue of liberty handoff" play that he went to over and over and over for 20 yards on the ground every time and of course mack didn't call time out or adjust to it at all at halftime, they had saved it for us, not shown it all, and just fucking gouged us with it

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

Y’all seen this shit?

I just watched his entire presser and he didn't say that. This is AI generated or something. He actually said the opposite, that they are telling the kids if you want to see what it's like to play in a national championship game this is it. That Texas is extremely dangerous and well coached etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I just watched his entire presser and he didn't say that. This is AI generated or something. He actually said the opposite, that they are telling the kids if you want to see what it's like to play in a national championship game this is it. That Texas is extremely dangerous and well coached etc. 

wow I'm a moron, at the very end he says this. IDK if he's kidding LMAO 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, immamac said:

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

wow I'm a moron, at the very end he says this. IDK if he's kidding LMAO 

Stare Staring GIF

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

Arch has a ways to go to get where Quinn is.  He needs experience running the offense.

Just think…if Quinn’s first game back is ou, he’s gonna be a little rusty, plus this will be the best defense he’s probably seen so far this year….so, you can bet that ou defense will try to lay the wood on him….don’t think he can take to much abuse at this stage.

• Haha 1

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Just think…if Quinn’s first game back is ou, he’s gonna be a little rusty, plus this will be the best defense he’s probably seen so far this year….so, you can bet that ou defense will try to lay the wood on him….don’t think he can take to much abuse at this stage.

...so what is your point here?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

OL deep dig from UTSA (via Dunlap on OB)

Spoiler

Skill Player Snap Counts and Game-by-Game Percentages of Offensive Snaps (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-Skill-Player-Participation-2.jpg

***please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as offensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, extra points, field goals, spiked balls, victory formations, kneel-downs, etc.***

Personnel-Grouping Frequency Overall and by Game (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-Personnel-Utilization-by-Game-2.jpg

Tight End Total Snap Counts and Alignment Data (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-TE-Usage-Chart-3.jpg

Team Target Share By Week (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-Target-Share-By-Game-2.jpg

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)
Deep-Dig-2021-OL-GRADING-SCALE.jpg

OL Grades (UTSA)

LT Kelvin Banks - 52 snaps
No disruption allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 82.86

LG/C Hayden Conner - 36 snaps
1 pressure allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.16

C Jake Majors - 53 snaps
No disruption allowed
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.77

RG DJ Campbell - 46 snaps
1 QB hit allowed
1 false start penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.13

RG/LG Cole Hutson - 36 snaps
1 QB hit allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 75.56

RT Cam Williams - 53 snaps
1 false start penalty
3 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 80.77

Reserves

LT Trevor Goosby - 14 snaps
1 pressure allowed
1 false start penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: N/A

RG Jaydon Chatman - 4 snaps
No disruption allowed

C Conner Robertson - 13 snaps
No disruption allowed

RG Neto Umeozulu - 13 snaps
1 run-stuff, 1 TFL allowed
1 unnecessary roughness penalty

RT Brandon Baker - 9 snaps
1 run-stuff, 1 TFL allowed

RT Andre Cojoe - 4 snaps
No disruption allowed

OL Grades by Week (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-OL-Grades-by-Week-1-2.jpg

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-OL-Snaps-Per-Disruption-2.jpg

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed BY WEEK - CUMULATIVE Through Season (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-S_DIS-OL-BY-WEEK-2.jpg

2024 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (Through Week 3)
Deep-Dig-2024-OL-Historical-Comparison-1.jpg

QUICK FINAL THOUGHTS

- What an awesome play here by Juan Davis, helping in opening up a hole on the power/counter concept with a two-bagger block. You have to love his pad level and explosion to the target here. As good as JT Sanders was, this sort of presence as a blocker was never really in his tool bag like it is for Helm and Davis.

- For the first time this season, Cole Hutson came into the game as a rotational player at LG for Hayden Conner as opposed to at RG for DJ Campbell. After two series at LG, Hutson moved over to RG to sub in for Campbell for two series to end the half. In the second series of the second half, Hutson again entered the starting lineup at LG. Just something to note that it's not just Campbell that he's subbing in for through games anymore. Cole Hutson is by far the team's most important depth piece at the guard positions (and, really, center as well) because ...

- It's a good thing that we can trust in the development abilities of Kyle Flood (and we all certainly should by now), because as well as the Texas offensive line has played this year with its starters, we saw versus UTSA that there is a major downgrade to that group when the second unit is called upon. The twos only really played about 14 snaps (outside of Cole Hutson, who as mentioned, played at many points throughout the game).

During that short time, the difference couldn't have been more clear. Trevor Goosby had a penalty and allowed a QB pressure. Neto Umeozulu and Brandon Baker had a bad miscommunication that led to a run-stuff. On top of this, Umeozulu allowed another run stuff and committed a penalty of his own while Brandon Baker tacked on another allowed TFL. We know these guys are still developing, and in watching them, there are some things to like. And it's clearly not a worry for now because we're in the middle of a season where the offensive line looks like a legitimate Joe Moore Award favorite.

The problem with that kind of success and having guys play that well -- well, we saw it last year with Byron Murphy and T'Vondre Sweat. They leave a big void when they go and when they're playing well, it's a lot of attention on them and a lot of things pulling them in the direction to go pro, as will likely be the case with DJ Campbell and Cam Williams. We'd guess as of right now that fans are going to have to sweat an announcement about whether each one of them is staying or going immediately after the season. It would really be quite the luxury to get both of those players back next season -- heck, even one of them. But that's the weird paradigm of having the best OL play we've seen at Texas this season. If they keep playing this well, you might not have everyone for as long as you'd like. It's just the cost of doing business.

- Everyone is going to remember Arch Manning's big run in his second series for the rest of their lives but no one will remember Matthew Golden's blocking on the perimeter. He holds the corner a little bit, but he was smart in keeping his hands inside his chest because those sorts of holds rarely get called.

• Hook 'Em 6

This game should be fun(for everyone except General Booty and ULM lol). Arch is gonna ball out again and Trey Owens should put up some numbers. I like when we schedule the Warhawks because I used to live in Monroe and I have plenty of family there so ULM has some sentimental value to me. 

Still wish they used this logo instead 

Louisiana-Monroe-Warhawks-Logo-2010.png

However, they used to be called the Indians so the newer logo they've been using for a few years now is throwback and tribute 

Louisiana-Monroe-Warhawks-Logo-2000.png

xaMY2khH_400x400.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Which is exactly why I changed my prediction from a 3rd quarter pic six to a punt return for TD. Also why I think we'll score less than 60. I anticipate a pretty humdrum game with Texas working Arch in passing early and converting to quick dumps, screens and runs late 3rd and 4th. Maybe test some trickeration plays to give future DCs more to digest.

I don't think we cover without special teams/defensive scores or short fields.  ULM is going to hand the ball off and bleed clock.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don't think we cover without special teams/defensive scores or short fields.  ULM is going to hand the ball off and bleed clock.

I’ve felt like the spread was too much against CSU and UTSA. Whoops. How interested do we think Sarkisian is in covering? He’s not an idiot, but 45 points is just a lot. 

I agree with @Fondren & Main in that the clock can only be drained so much if Texas is forcing a bunch of 3 and outs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve felt like the spread was too much against CSU and UTSA. Whoops. How interested do we think Sarkisian is in covering? He’s not an idiot, but 45 points is just a lot. 

I agree with @Fondren & Main in that the clock can only be drained so much if Texas is forcing a bunch of 3 and outs. 

I got the sense that he wanted to be more cordial with the UTSA game and probably not grind their dicks in the dirt.  That went out the window after one of the roadrunners started talking shit.  He surely punished them and rained hellfire down on them immediately after that.