Emmys 2024

Biff Tannen

Man. I couldn’t get through it. It was like Catfish meets Outlander meets…I don’t know. Rapey stalker uncomfortable shit. 

Yeah, it’s not an easy watch.

Yeah, every year it’s in the comedy category and no one knows why. It's almost a joke on its own now. 

Apparently, there aren’t any rules. The producers think of it as a comedy, so it’s entered as a comedy. The other theory is that the competition is a lot easier in comedy, especially when one deals with a lot more dramatic storylines.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't get too worked up over awards show, but how the fuck is The Bear a comedy?  It's up against Curb?   That's just silly. 

Historically, half-hours have been comedies and one-hours are dramas.

The medium has evolved the past 15 years with more half-hours being “dramedies” e.g. Girls, Master of None, Ramy, etc.

The Bear follows that same dramedy tradition albeit the drama to comedy split is 70/30.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeremy Allen White beat a lot of funny people in a dramatic role. The Bear, while a great show, has blown up the Emmy’s categories. I think Hacks winning comedy series was pushback on FX for submitting The Bear as a comedy, and honestly, good for them. 

It would have been fun for Curb to get 1 big award in its final season. The legacy awards that the Emmys were once fond of, and that didn’t happen. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis