Austin School Shooting Threats

Samson's Wig

Looked and could not find a discussion on this.  Apologies if I missed it.

Just in the last week, there has been a threat to Hill Elementary from an unmedicated schizophrenic: https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-police-make-an-arrest-linked-to-austin-isd-elementary-school-threat

A kid was pulled out of class at Lamar Middle School by police for threatening gun violence (no article on this one, but I have spoken to the school principal about it personally).

Another threat to Lamar Middle school happened over the weekend, which now appears to have been middle school girls from another middle school (so hopefully not a credible threat).   

Just in case anyone mistakenly thinks this is isolated to AISD, here's just a handful of similar instances happening out in the burbs.  https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/social-media-threat-response-school-districts-central-texas-list-of-arrests/269-ec879603-9371-45f0-8c53-c5c38edc35ab 

Tons of kids are being kept home today due to all this shit, although we sent ours as there doesn't seem to be any active danger.   I don't really have much to add other than I hate that kids are growing up with this as a baseline reality.  I have 12 year old twins, and it's difficult to explain to them why the adults (myself included) can't create a safe environment for them.   Getting kids motivated to go to school and put up with all the bullshit that involves (shitty teachers, boring lessons, misguided romantic entanglements, asshole bullies, etc. etc.) gets even tougher when you have to add "oh, and you might get shot and die" to the list of crappy things that come with middle school and high school life. These kids are growing up in some genuinely shitty times, but the adults haven't done a damn thing about it other than complain about how millennials and Gen Z are so dysfunctional as adults.  Well, we made them that way.

• Rage+1 3

There were threats last week in Arlington. An 18 year old was just arrested after his identity was revealed to police. My two sent me multiple screenshots related to people talking about schools getting shot up in southern Dallas/Oak Cliff. I told each to share those with the school office which they did. The school said they were already aware of it. You just have to tell your kids to share that information with their school when they see it. There are anonymous options to do so, at least with Dallas ISD. Sadly, this is their world now. The school, to their credit, sent emails about the threats and reinforced they were doing what they could to make the school's safe. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I didn’t, you did. I pointed to the part where he blamed teachers for the shitty atmosphere at school; didn’t realize I had to clarify that.

My dude, your original post in a thread titled "Austin School Shooting Threats" said blaming the teachers was an interesting strategy. There was no context other than the title of the thread. Of course that's what it sounded like you were talking about. Why the fuck would I assume you're making a post about a literal paren-fucking-thetical? 

I mean there are shitty teachers in this world. Not every teacher is a great teacher. It's a hard job especially with all the bullshit they have to deal with but if you haven't had to deal with a shitty teacher in you or your child's life then I would count yourself lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Blaming the teachers is an interesting strategy.

This is about as moronic a response to this topic as I can think of, but okay.  No one blamed teachers for school shootings.  And if you don't realize that there are lots of shitty teachers out there, which is one of many things kids have to deal with, you live in a bubble of willful ignorance.  

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I have 12 year old twins, and it's difficult to explain to them why the adults (myself included) can't create a safe environment for them.   Getting kids motivated to go to school and put up with all the bullshit that involves (shitty teachers, boring lessons, misguided romantic entanglements, asshole bullies, etc. etc.) gets even tougher when you have to add "oh, and you might get shot and die" to the list of crappy things that come with middle school and high school life. These kids are growing up in some genuinely shitty times, but the adults haven't done a damn thing about it other than complain about how millennials and Gen Z are so dysfunctional as adults.  Well, we made them that way.

And they have kids thei age in the same city, if not classmates, ODing on fentanyl... 

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Montgomery county and Fort Bend last week.  Nothing come of either threat.  Apparently just fwd:fwd:fwd: text chains that got spread between thousands of kids. 

The kid rumor mill has proven to be accurate in the past. I don't think you can ever ignore those. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

The kid rumor mill has proven to be accurate in the past. I don't think you can ever ignore those. 

I don't either.  I'm only stating what the ISD's released a few days later.  There was additional police presence the first 2 days when all the local ISD's were getting threats.  I can only hope they are running down where it originates and giving the perpetrator the scare of their life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

eanes had one the week before last. they arrested the little shit-for-brains. anonymous tipline came through on that one.

send them all to siberia.

kid lives in our hood and was friends with my boys.

He's always been trouble. He's adopted from a drug addicted mother. The parents are two of the kindest and nicest people I have ever met and have tried everything to get him on a better course. The father called and thanked me for letting my boys hang out with him as he said they are a good influence on him. More than once my son showed up home way earlier than he said he was going to but wouldn't tell us why. I finally heard from another parent that my son would leave when he couldn't convince him to not do something that would get them in trouble.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1