Pipeline Explosion in Deer Park

Rip76

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Dude you can't expect these O&G companies to do inspections and maintenance on their equipment! Do you know how much that costs??? Just ask centerpoint

Well, you would like to think any exposed infrastructure are protected by concrete barriers of some sort, if your fence is too pussy to take on a white suv. But, I know these billionaire o&g types can't afford $500 in concrete and materials.

Edited by pacman

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

Well, you would like to think any exposed infrastructure are protected by concrete barriers of some sort, if your fence is too pussy to take on a white suv. But, I know these billionaire o&g types can't afford $500 in concrete and materials.

How many other places has a fence been sufficient? This appears to be a very unique event. 

Edited by Hate

How many other places has a fence been sufficient? This appears to be a very unique event. 

There’s a natural gas valve for the local distribution system near us (I drive by it). A steel pipe cage - pipe looks to be 6-inch OD - was built around it to protect from a vehicle strike. And I would expect it to work except against a really heavy truck.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

On a Saturday beach trip back in the 80s, I connected with a cute gal from La Porte. She was cute…but hirsute.
No gas pipeline valves were harmed that day.

Was her name Sally?

I also met a girl from LaPorte at the beach.

We may be closer than we think. 😀

Edited by Rip76

7 hours ago, pacman said:

Probably closer to $50,000 than $500 given how those qualified contractors do things. 

Oh wow wouldn't you know it, energy transfer partners made billions off of the 2021 freeze when Texans were freezing to death. Thank goodness we have such friendly local businesses out there enriching our local communities (with cancer!)

https://www.texasobserver.org/after-kelcy-warrens-energy-transfer-partners-made-billions-from-the-deadly-texas-blackouts-he-gave-1-million-to-greg-abbott/

Also, lulz at Rex/portahouse asserting that a natgas pipeline operator isn't an O&G firm. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I would bet the crisis manual item #1 is to release as little information as possible to limit liability claims. This will be the priority of the company. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if those in the evacuation zone are being asked to sign a release today in exchange for $5,000. We want to help you get back on your feet ASAP but I can only do that if you sign this 10 page document right this second.

Not to mention PI lawyers also descending on them which is who I would sign with.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would bet the crisis manual item #1 is to release as little information as possible to limit liability claims. This will be the priority of the company. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if those in the evacuation zone are being asked to sign a release today in exchange for $5,000. We want to help you get back on your feet ASAP but I can only do that if you sign this 10 page document right this second.

Not to mention PI lawyers also descending on them which is who I would sign with.

Years ago I had a massive, multimillion case against an oil company. They had a separate, totally unrelated small-claims matter with my client, which my client resolved on his own. Before he signed anything, he gave it to me to review, and it contained a full release of claims that looked tailored to include the pending multimillion dollar claim. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It is definitely in the playbook.  Anyone that works for any company that they are in FR gear has already been trained.  There are news vans parked at the gas station looking for people who are in coveralls to ask them what they think.  The trained response is "I have no comment.  Please contact my companies PR department at this number for a statement"

9 hours ago, pacman said:

Have you seen SUVs recently? They are like tanks. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

On a Saturday beach trip back in the 80s, I connected with a cute gal from La Porte. She was cute…but hirsute.
No gas pipeline valves were harmed that day.

Shame. 

Finally some details on the driver. Not from the police of course, but from the local TV News.   See the video at the bottom of this page:

https://abc13.com/post/deer-park-pipeline-explosion-energy-transfer-not-anwering-questions-la-porte-evacuations/15316954/

In a nutshell, from eyewitnesses:  An elderly woman with glasses drove a white SUV at slow speed out the back of a WalMart parking lot, through brush, down an embankment, picked up speed, went through a fence and into the value. The car was thrown up in the air and 'fire was everywhere'.  Doesn't sound like the driver survived.

That would explain why the FBI ruled it not terrorism. 

As of 8pm Tuesday, it sounds like it was still burning.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Finally some details on the driver. Not from the police of course, but from the local TV News.   See the video at the bottom of this page:

https://abc13.com/post/deer-park-pipeline-explosion-energy-transfer-not-anwering-questions-la-porte-evacuations/15316954/

In a nutshell, from eyewitnesses:  An elderly woman with glasses drove a white SUV at slow speed out the back of a WalMart parking lot, through brush, down an embankment, picked up speed, went through a fence and into the value. The car was thrown up in the air and 'fire was everywhere'.  Doesn't sound like the driver survived.

That would explain why the FBI ruled it not terrorism. 

As of 8pm Tuesday, it sounds like it was still burning.

still begs the question: how are there not more bollards or other protective measures to keep heavy things away from such a vulnerable and critical valve? In a residential area no less? They just throwing up a chainlink fence and calling it good?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

still begs the question: how are there not more bollards or other protective measures to keep heavy things away from such a vulnerable and critical valve? In a residential area no less? They just throwing up a chainlink fence and calling it good?

IMG_3829.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

When you’re several hundred feed away from the parking lot, an accidental vehicular impact is low on the list of likely scenarios. The most likely risk is dumb high school kids turning a valve. That being said bollards aren’t that expensive.

On 9/17/2024 at 6:08 AM, Captainant said:

Also, lulz at Rex/portahouse asserting that a natgas pipeline operator isn't an O&G firm. 

They're part of the oil and gas industry but they're not an oil and gas firm.  They own the infrastructure for and oversee the transport of oil and gas between the producers and the end users- they're a midstream company. Similar wording but there's an important distinction.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

What was in that pipeline again? 

Veggie Tales Thinking GIF

Sorry it’s just horrendously pedantic to think a midstream pipeline company like ET isn’t also a “O&G firm”

See above.  Exxon is an O&G firm.  Energy Transfer Partners is a midstream firm.  Big difference.  You wouldn't say Apple and Nvidia are the same firm.

Edited by gsoda3
hit enter too soon.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

See above.  There's a big difference between the two companies.  Exxon is an O&G firm.  

I get what you are saying, and for people “in the biz” (used to be me) there’s a difference, but for 99% of the population, it doesn’t make a shit. If your firms pipeline is carrying natural gas and it’s burning out of control, O&G firm you are…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

See above.  Exxon is an O&G firm.  Energy Transfer Partners is a midstream firm.  Big difference.  You wouldn't say Apple and Nvidia are the same firm.

I'd call apple and nvidia both tech firms because their primary product is tech. Exxon and ETP both have O&G as a primary product, and is therefore an O&G firm.

It seems weird to carve it out just because it isn't a fully vertically integrated operation. Is it like they need to have a fully realized hydrocarbon value chain complete with conveinence stores to meet your definition?

Anywho, why the fuck do yall care so much? Or is this just rex doing his pissant thing?

• Hook 'Em 5