Week Four Preview: All Eyes On Oklahoma (and the Midwest)

texifornia

@texifornia You seem to have overlooked the Fox Big Noon kickoff game. Ya know... the biggest game in college football each week: Marshall @ Ohio State. Really, Fox? That's the best you can do even after realignment? I don't know how the Fox/CBS/NBC contract with the Big 10 works exactly, but you can't trot that shit out there and then try to brand yourself as any sort of destination appointment TV.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

@texifornia You seem to have overlooked the Fox Big Noon kickoff game. Ya know... the biggest game in college football each week: Marshall @ Ohio State. Really, Fox? That's the best you can do even after realignment? I don't know how the Fox/CBS/NBC contract with the Big 10 works exactly, but you can't trot that shit out there and then try to brand yourself as any sort of destination appointment TV.

This.  Utah/OKST would have been way better.  Should have just flipped those and put Marshall/Ohio State in the afternoon window. 

If it wasn't on Friday, ILL/NEB would have been a good candidate for Big Noon as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think we know enough about USC, UM is hard to tell just how bad the struggle really is, we know they suck, but how bad is it? 

Syracuse is only favored by a touchdown, Stanford still putting pads on the water polo team? Or did they get some actual football players?

I hope it's an ou beat down, but I'm also interested to see Utenn play a team that fields a defense. 

Illinois has potential to give the bug eaters a scare, though I think NU wins.

Cal at FSU, this.might be the death of the FSU program

Great slate of games this weekend. Realignment is starting to immediately deliver.

Friday:

-Illinois @ Nebraska: I am interested in seeing whether or not either team is actually good. Can Illinois put Raiola into a state of confusion and cause some turnovers?

-SJSU @ Wazzou: This game is between two 3-0 teams. It's late, but for those of us having to attend multiple flag football games earlier in the evening, it's football. Also, Texas plays SJSU next year, for whatever that is worth.

Saturday Morning:

-NCSU @ Clemson: NCSU is getting 20.5 in Death Valley. They look like complete ass. I am surprised that spread isn't 40.5.

-JMU @ North Carolina: I know UNC has a new QB with no experience, so this game might be close. I'll keep repeating this though - The UNC schedule is pudding soft. If this QB gets his bearings, they're pretty good and experienced around him. The TB is still a stud. This game is bigger than folks think. If UNC loses, they'll remain unranked and unnoticed. Win this game, they're 4-0 and then it goes like this: -@ Duke, -Pitt, -Ga Tech, -@ Virginia, -@ FSU, -Wake Forest, -@ BC, -NCSU. These dudes could honestly be 12-0 heading into the ACC title game and almost assuredly a playoff team irrespective of outcome.

Saturday Afternoon:

-Arkansas State @ Iowa State: I'm probably insane, but this seems like the kind of game that Matt Campbell could fuck up. Butch Jones has somehow put together a team that looks like they could win more than they lose. 

-USC @ Michigan: I will be unabashedly be cheering for Michigan in this spot, and I am also prepared to watch them get pummeled by 40 points. 

-Arkansas @ Auburn: I expected Auburn to be better this year, largely just due to roster improvement and more experience. Now? I have way less confidence in that notion. UAB made Taylen Green look subpar. Does Auburn have the dudes on defense to build on that? The fact that Jerrin Thompson is Auburn's leading tackler and was their spring game MVP tells me that, no, no Auburn doesn't have the dudes. 

-Ga Tech @ Louisville: Louisville is a big wild card in CFB this season. They play ND (in South Bend, next week), Miami, @ Clemson, and Pitt. Those are all teams that will factor into the CFP discussion. Pathetically, they represent one of the more formidable teams on ND's schedule. I think this is a good game to watch.

-Arizona State @ Texas Tech: This looks like a fun game. Texas Tech overwhelmed UNT last week, buoyed by Chandler Morris throwing picks on 3 consecutive passes, but they've looked like dogshit besides that. 

-Rutgers @ Va Tech: Va Tech shit the bed against Vandy. What.The.Fuck. But I still think Va Tech is a contender in the ACC. Rutgers is being touted as a gritty, sneaky good Big 10 team. They've played Howard and Akron, so we know nothing, really. If Rutgers wins this one, they're 4-0 going to Lincoln.

Saturday Night:

-Miami @ USF: Miami is suddenly just a given in terms of being "back" and this has happened many times before. That is all pinned around their dominant win over Florida. Anyone who has now watched Florida knows that dominating that team might not be indicative of much. USF has sold so many tickets that they're removing the covers in the upper deck. I don't expect an upset, but I do want to see how Miami looks against another program with a pulse.

-Baylor @ CU: Baylor looks like they can play defense this year. Maybe this game is better than it looked this summer.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

USC @ Michigan: I will be unabashedly be cheering for Michigan in this spot, and I am also prepared to watch them get pummeled by 40 points. 

This is where I am.  I'd like to think that Michigan's offense will have improved with reps, but I think they'll still be ass, and for better or worse, Lincoln Riley doesn't take his foot off the gas, so a big USC victory will take some of the shine off the Texas win in Ann Arbor.  

But Texas just needs to take care of its own business, and hopefully Riley steps on his dick again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

This is about as bad an early game slate as you'll see

It's atrocious. worst ever. Fox's marquee game is bringing us Marshall @ Ohio State, with the latter laying 7 touchdowns? Guessing Klatt is really excited about this assignment, especially having to deal with Gus to begin with. 

I don't need to see any more of Michigan to know it's a mediocre team. Challenged, and beyond, offensively. How bad is Orji if he wasn't getting more snaps over Warren to begin with? UM has a good defense, not a great one. If you watched the LSU game SC was at least decent defensively - actually in position and tackled pretty well in quite a few situations. It looks to have some interest in that side of the ball this season and will move the ball against UM's defense.

SC is off a bye and this game's result looks to mirror that of the Texas game or close to it. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Great slate of games this weekend. Realignment is starting to immediately deliver.

Friday:

-Illinois @ Nebraska: I am interested in seeing whether or not either team is actually good. Can Illinois put Raiola into a state of confusion and cause some turnovers?

-SJSU @ Wazzou: This game is between two 3-0 teams. It's late, but for those of us having to attend multiple flag football games earlier in the evening, it's football. Also, Texas plays SJSU next year, for whatever that is worth.

Saturday Morning:

-NCSU @ Clemson: NCSU is getting 20.5 in Death Valley. They look like complete ass. I am surprised that spread isn't 40.5.

-JMU @ North Carolina: I know UNC has a new QB with no experience, so this game might be close. I'll keep repeating this though - The UNC schedule is pudding soft. If this QB gets his bearings, they're pretty good and experienced around him. The TB is still a stud. This game is bigger than folks think. If UNC loses, they'll remain unranked and unnoticed. Win this game, they're 4-0 and then it goes like this: -@ Duke, -Pitt, -Ga Tech, -@ Virginia, -@ FSU, -Wake Forest, -@ BC, -NCSU. These dudes could honestly be 12-0 heading into the ACC title game and almost assuredly a playoff team irrespective of outcome.

Saturday Afternoon:

-Arkansas State @ Iowa State: I'm probably insane, but this seems like the kind of game that Matt Campbell could fuck up. Butch Jones has somehow put together a team that looks like they could win more than they lose. 

-USC @ Michigan: I will be unabashedly be cheering for Michigan in this spot, and I am also prepared to watch them get pummeled by 40 points. 

-Arkansas @ Auburn: I expected Auburn to be better this year, largely just due to roster improvement and more experience. Now? I have way less confidence in that notion. UAB made Taylen Green look subpar. Does Auburn have the dudes on defense to build on that? The fact that Jerrin Thompson is Auburn's leading tackler and was their spring game MVP tells me that, no, no Auburn doesn't have the dudes. 

-Ga Tech @ Louisville: Louisville is a big wild card in CFB this season. They play ND (in South Bend, next week), Miami, @ Clemson, and Pitt. Those are all teams that will factor into the CFP discussion. Pathetically, they represent one of the more formidable teams on ND's schedule. I think this is a good game to watch.

-Arizona State @ Texas Tech: This looks like a fun game. Texas Tech overwhelmed UNT last week, buoyed by Chandler Morris throwing picks on 3 consecutive passes, but they've looked like dogshit besides that. 

-Rutgers @ Va Tech: Va Tech shit the bed against Vandy. What.The.Fuck. But I still think Va Tech is a contender in the ACC. Rutgers is being touted as a gritty, sneaky good Big 10 team. They've played Howard and Akron, so we know nothing, really. If Rutgers wins this one, they're 4-0 going to Lincoln.

Saturday Night:

-Miami @ USF: Miami is suddenly just a given in terms of being "back" and this has happened many times before. That is all pinned around their dominant win over Florida. Anyone who has now watched Florida knows that dominating that team might not be indicative of much. USF has sold so many tickets that they're removing the covers in the upper deck. I don't expect an upset, but I do want to see how Miami looks against another program with a pulse.

-Baylor @ CU: Baylor looks like they can play defense this year. Maybe this game is better than it looked this summer.

Your take on UNC have me thinking I would not be alone in relishing a Sark beatdown of Mack in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 3

USC can beat Michigan by however much they want. Let's not pretend that:

A - style points are going to matter for Texas this season

B - Texas wasn't playing name the fucking score in AA and a few fortuitous calls didn't keep it from being an uglier scoreboard for the Wolverines than it could have been

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

USC can beat Michigan by however much they want. Let's not pretend that:

A - style points are going to matter for Texas this season

B - Texas wasn't playing name the fucking score in AA and a few fortuitous calls didn't keep it from being an uglier scoreboard for the Wolverines than it could have been

How do style points matter for a 12 team playoff?  Just win and you’re in.

43 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Heupel is going to try for 80+

Cheeseburgers or points?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

#12 Utah @ #14 Oklahoma State - 4 / 3 Fox
Huge Big XII game. A battle of experienced, well-coached contenders with 7th-year QBs that are older than a solid subset of NFL starters. 

Combined age of 49.  

How long has Cam Rising been playing college football?  His first. commitment was to Bob Stoops at OU.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

OU is back to their defensive self a little, but the offense is a far cry from 3 years ago.

If Tennessee has a bad game, they will score only 30-35. And their defense has to have a bad game as well for OU to keep up. I don’t see it, unless it’s one of those silly CFB games where the shit aligns with turnovers and freak plays. Ou can’t score 40 points on this team and that be the minimum they need. Tennessee wins this game 4 of 5 times.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

OU is back to their defensive self a little, but the offense is a far cry from 3 years ago.

If Tennessee has a bad game, they will score only 30-35. And their defense has to have a bad game as well for OU to keep up. I don’t see it, unless it’s one of those silly CFB games where the shit aligns with turnovers and freak plays. Ou can’t score 40 points on this team and that be the minimum they need. Tennessee wins this game 4 of 5 times.

Imealeava having a shitty game on the road against seemingly (we don't know for sure) good defense is in the realm of possibilities, and makes Tennessee's floor in this game lower than most are estimating. I doubt that happens though 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Imealeava having a shitty game on the road against seemingly (we don't know for sure) good defense is in the realm of possibilities, and makes Tennessee's floor in this game lower than most are estimating. I doubt that happens though 

Schematically, and allegedly, OU is going to try to take his legs away and force them to win in the passing game. I guess I’m curious to see if the OU front 6/7 can actually do that against what looks like a really good Tennessee OL (who the hell knows if they’re worth a shit). 

I’m thinking OU is a little high on their own supply with this approach. The guy that had 3 sacks against Tulane is usually a ghost. Stutsman will need to be making tackles within 3 yards of the LOS for once. Terry got hurt against Tulane but it didn’t appear serious. Still, if he matters a lot for you, how good are you?

I’ve been hesitant to say that Tennessee hasn’t played anybody out of respect for Doeren’s program at NCSU, but damn do they look pretty bad. I guess I expect one of two outcomes in this game. 

1) Tennessee wins easily by double digits and dismantles OU’s dogshit OL while making a fool of Arnold with turnovers. 

2) Tennessee is typical overrated SEC hype, huffing their own farts about how good they are, and a proud and storied opponent shows up at home and punches them squarely in their fat jowls. From there it’s a rock fight as two young QBs both face front 7 peril. 

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Schematically, and allegedly, OU is going to try to take his legs away and force them to win in the passing game. I guess I’m curious to see if the OU front 6/7 can actually do that against what looks like a really good Tennessee OL (who the hell knows if they’re worth a shit). 

Typically against this offense I think you put a cap on the deep routes with numbers and see if its able to march down the field consistently and finish in the redzone. That's basically been the modern defensive across the NFL and a lot of college football in general for the last five or so years. I think there's merit in this case though in taking a more aggressive approach and making Nico prove he can consistently beat you with his arm down the the field, even if it leads to a few explosive plays; trading a few explosives for lower success rate and hopefully interceptions, with the chance that Nico melts down as we've seen many young QBs do on the road against good defenses 

Where this falls apart though is OU's offense. I'm not sure if they can break 20 points. Their only consistent offense has been Jackson Arnold's legs because he's sucked as a passer in the intermediate and deep, their OL has sucked in all phases, and they haven't run well. And it's not like he's anything special as a runner, and Tennessee should be significantly more athletic than anything OU has seen on defense. OU has to do some things better on offense that they haven't shown yet against poor competition 

• Hook 'Em 4

So, maybe a dumb question and perhaps a question that belongs in the realignment thread, but has anyone been paying attention the the Big12 TV numbers? Curious how many of the Texas fans are still hate watching the Big12 or has their numbers tanked a bit more with the large fan bases of Texas and OU leaving the B12.

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Typically against this offense I think you put a cap on the deep routes with numbers and see if its able to march down the field consistently and finish in the redzone. That's basically been the modern defensive across the NFL and a lot of college football in general for the last five or so years. I think there's merit in this case though in taking a more aggressive approach and making Nico prove he can consistently beat you with his arm down the the field, even if it leads to a few explosive plays; trading a few explosives for lower success rate and hopefully interceptions, with the chance that Nico melts down as we've seen many young QBs do on the road against good defenses 

Where this falls apart though is OU's offense. I'm not sure if they can break 20 points. Their only consistent offense has been Jackson Arnold's legs because he's sucked as a passer in the intermediate and deep, their OL has sucked in all phases, and they haven't run well. And it's not like he's anything special as a runner, and Tennessee should be significantly more athletic than anything OU has seen on defense. OU has to do some things better on offense that they haven't shown yet against poor competition 

Huepel wants to run the ball.  They ran all over NC State and are averaging like 250 yards.  They get you to commit numbers then throw it over your head.  I'm not convinced OU can sit back in a shell and not get slashed to death.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Huepel wants to run the ball.  They ran all over NC State and are averaging like 250 yards.  They get you to commit numbers then throw it over your head.  I'm not convinced OU can sit back in a shell and not get slashed to death.

Unless you have elite defensive personnel, you have to pick your poison against this offense when it has the right personnel. Lose via high success rate, or explosive plays? 

32 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So, maybe a dumb question and perhaps a question that belongs in the realignment thread, but has anyone been paying attention the the Big12 TV numbers? Curious how many of the Texas fans are still hate watching the Big12 or has their numbers tanked a bit more with the large fan bases of Texas and OU leaving the B12.

In a nutshell- the B12 does great on Friday night, competing with HS football. It suffers on Saturday, going up against good games. Oh, and people like to watch Sanders’ CU team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

In a nutshell- the B12 does great on Friday night, competing with HS football. It suffers on Saturday, going up against good games. Oh, and people like to watch Sanders’ CU team. 

Hence, the choice to direct Big Noon Saturday to Ohio State pummelling a Marshall team built on biscuit NIL instead of a really good Utah - OK State matchup.

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Also, interested in seeing how Rutgers plays in this one.  I'll add:

Michigan State @ BC 7 PM ACC Network - BC looks like a solid team under Bill O'Brien.  Beat FSU (who hasn't) and lost a close one to Mizzou.  Michigan State hired a good coach away from Oregon State in Jonathan Smith.  He brought his QB with him and Sparty have started off 3-0.  This will be their toughest opponent to date.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

2) Tennessee is typical overrated SEC hype, huffing their own farts about how good they are, and a proud and storied opponent shows up at home and punches them squarely in their fat jowls. From there it’s a rock fight as two young QBs both face front 7 peril. 

I'm leaning this way.  Mostly because that's who Tennessee has been lately.  That offense disappeared against competition last year.  They scored 59 on UConn and then 7 on Mizzou the following week.

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wasn't Eli Holstein at one point committed to Bilbo and aggy? Over 900 yards with a 9/2 TD/INT ratio so far for a potent Pitt offense. Hahaha. aggy sucks at QB recruiting and development.

When Arch told Bama no, Holstein bailed on aggy for Bama.