Week Four Preview: All Eyes On Oklahoma (and the Midwest)

texifornia

On 9/18/2024 at 2:11 PM, texifornia said:

#24 Illinois @ #22 Nebraska - 8 / 7 Fox
Not a bad B1G pairing at all. FFR has Illinois playing solid, competent football, and Rhule looks like he's going to easily break the Huskers' bowl drought.

Saturday games

Florida @ Mississippi State - 12 / 11 ESPN
If you thought Florida - A&M was a cripple fight, this is going to be even more pathetic. Let's see if Miss State looks capable of being more than a speedbump next week.

NC State @ #21 Clemson - 12 / 11 ABC
Look, it's slim pickings in this timeslot. State has historically given Clemson fits, but Grayson McCall is hurt and they have looked like pure shit in all three 

#11 USC @ #18 Michigan - 3:30 / 2:30 CBS
It's a crime that this is a conference game and not a Rose Bowl matchup. We should learn a lot about both teams in this one - is USC for real? Does Michigan suck that bad?

#12 Utah @ #14 Oklahoma State - 4 / 3 Fox
Huge Big XII game. A battle of experienced, well-coached contenders with 7th-year QBs that are older than a solid subset of NFL starters. 

Arkansas @ Auburn - 3:30 / 2:30 ESPN
Hugh Freeze is officially on Fraud Watch. Petrino seems to have resucitated the Pig offense. Could be an interesting one.

Keep an eye on Miami (OH) @ #17 Notre Dame (3:30/2:30 NBC) for Marcus Freeman vs MAC hijinks

Louisiana-Monroe @ #1(!!!) Texas - 8 / 7 ESPN+ / SECN+
 Arch's first start will (sort of) be televised. Let's have some fun and not get injured.

#6 Tennessee @ #15 Oklahoma - 7:30 / 6:30 ABC
Josh Heupel returns to Norman, and his Vols have flown out of the blocks. Can OU keep up? Probably not.

Cal @ Florida State - 7:30 / 6:30 ESPN2
Watching Cal go from just another Pac-12 school to the memelords of the ACC has been a hoot. Can they #decolonizecalahassee? Can DJU complete a forward pass?

Baylor @ Colorado - 8 / 7 Fox
One of these schools will lose, and I will enjoy that very much.

Keep an eye on Bowling Green @ #25 Texas A&M (7:30 / 6:30 - ESPN+) and #8 Miami @ South Florida (7 / 6 ESPN) in case the upset warning starts flashing.

I've come to the conclusion that there is something really wrong with me. I highlighted all the really shitty football games that I'm extremely interested in watching. I know 99% of these games will just be flat out horrible football and in most cases it's true of both teams.

I guess as I've gotten older, I've just come to enjoy being a hateful asshole as much as I enjoy great football. 

I'm a fucking mess.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2024 at 8:12 AM, Laxtonto said:

So, maybe a dumb question and perhaps a question that belongs in the realignment thread, but has anyone been paying attention the the Big12 TV numbers? Curious how many of the Texas fans are still hate watching the Big12 or has their numbers tanked a bit more with the large fan bases of Texas and OU leaving the B12.

In a shocking revelation nobody could have ever predicted, Big XII teams in decent matchups do pretty good on rating but significantly less than blueblood matchups. 

On 9/18/2024 at 3:14 PM, closetojumping said:

Great slate of games this weekend. Realignment is starting to immediately deliver.

Friday:

-Illinois @ Nebraska: I am interested in seeing whether or not either team is actually good. Can Illinois put Raiola into a state of confusion and cause some turnovers?

-SJSU @ Wazzou: This game is between two 3-0 teams. It's late, but for those of us having to attend multiple flag football games earlier in the evening, it's football. Also, Texas plays SJSU next year, for whatever that is worth.

Saturday Morning:

-NCSU @ Clemson: NCSU is getting 20.5 in Death Valley. They look like complete ass. I am surprised that spread isn't 40.5.

-JMU @ North Carolina: I know UNC has a new QB with no experience, so this game might be close. I'll keep repeating this though - The UNC schedule is pudding soft. If this QB gets his bearings, they're pretty good and experienced around him. The TB is still a stud. This game is bigger than folks think. If UNC loses, they'll remain unranked and unnoticed. Win this game, they're 4-0 and then it goes like this: -@ Duke, -Pitt, -Ga Tech, -@ Virginia, -@ FSU, -Wake Forest, -@ BC, -NCSU. These dudes could honestly be 12-0 heading into the ACC title game and almost assuredly a playoff team irrespective of outcome.

Saturday Afternoon:

-Arkansas State @ Iowa State: I'm probably insane, but this seems like the kind of game that Matt Campbell could fuck up. Butch Jones has somehow put together a team that looks like they could win more than they lose. 

-USC @ Michigan: I will be unabashedly be cheering for Michigan in this spot, and I am also prepared to watch them get pummeled by 40 points. 

-Arkansas @ Auburn: I expected Auburn to be better this year, largely just due to roster improvement and more experience. Now? I have way less confidence in that notion. UAB made Taylen Green look subpar. Does Auburn have the dudes on defense to build on that? The fact that Jerrin Thompson is Auburn's leading tackler and was their spring game MVP tells me that, no, no Auburn doesn't have the dudes. 

-Ga Tech @ Louisville: Louisville is a big wild card in CFB this season. They play ND (in South Bend, next week), Miami, @ Clemson, and Pitt. Those are all teams that will factor into the CFP discussion. Pathetically, they represent one of the more formidable teams on ND's schedule. I think this is a good game to watch.

-Arizona State @ Texas Tech: This looks like a fun game. Texas Tech overwhelmed UNT last week, buoyed by Chandler Morris throwing picks on 3 consecutive passes, but they've looked like dogshit besides that. 

-Rutgers @ Va Tech: Va Tech shit the bed against Vandy. What.The.Fuck. But I still think Va Tech is a contender in the ACC. Rutgers is being touted as a gritty, sneaky good Big 10 team. They've played Howard and Akron, so we know nothing, really. If Rutgers wins this one, they're 4-0 going to Lincoln.

Saturday Night:

-Miami @ USF: Miami is suddenly just a given in terms of being "back" and this has happened many times before. That is all pinned around their dominant win over Florida. Anyone who has now watched Florida knows that dominating that team might not be indicative of much. USF has sold so many tickets that they're removing the covers in the upper deck. I don't expect an upset, but I do want to see how Miami looks against another program with a pulse.

-Baylor @ CU: Baylor looks like they can play defense this year. Maybe this game is better than it looked this summer.

You're not at all insane.

ss_20230916_152045166_2339968.jpg