Old and Starting "over"

Jiggy-Z

I own a business (concrete constru tion) and my business partner wants to quit. He is 72 and I am 57.

The business has kind of diminished over the years and is really not worth anything without us running it, except for some salvaged equipment.

I own the business office and land and have been told it is worth between 2-2.5 million.

I am a CPA, but have not practiced in decades as my job duties were estimating and project managemnt in the concrete construction business.

My old 401k is light about 130g.

My wife and I have a nice house, but it is too big and we want to get out of Texas and sell it and pocket the difference for retirement and  ollege fund.

My wife is seriously contemplating divorce right now as seen in the divorce thread.

I haven't slept well in awhile and this job has worn me out.

I am contemplating my options.

Will anyone even hire someone like me?

• Hook 'Em 1

Stressful situation for sure. Can you parlay your experience into another similar sized business that needs your experience? At 57, networking and smaller companies is likely the way to go. Hiring at large companies is going to have ageism even if you can’t prove it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am 51. I put the torch to my job security, title and prestige, 25 years of experience, towering reputation and all my contacts, and completely changed careers at the beginning of this year.

I’m terrified and working my ass off. For the first time in over 15 years I don’t have headhunters calling me on the regular, nobody cares what I say or think, I’m not in the circle of people who are part of important decisions and I’m usually the last to find out. My boss gives me marching orders through my younger peers and I get sonned daily by 35 year olds who are much more accomplished than I am and make way more than me. 

It’s invigorating!

I’ve got 15 years of real working life in me and life is too short not to have maximum fun and chase one last big score. I think this is an opportunity for you.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

we want to get out of Texas and sell it and pocket the difference

Start there. What happens if you split up?

Do you want to stay or go? 

I feel fairly confident you can find a gig. The question is where and if you are going solo. 

Do you like this gig? Do you want to go live in a yurt and grow shrooms? 

Just because you have been in the construction business you have inside information. You know how it works. That's a valuable skill set. 

But, none of it is going to make a difference until you know where you stand with the marriage. 

If you need some reassurance that you can start a new job. Well yeah man. Might even be a good one. Get on out there and get some. 

But, you have a lot of decisions to make before then 

• Like 1

Sheeeit we’re all getting old.  Serious answer, figure out your home stuff first.  You may not want to move if you split with your wife.  Can you buy out your partner?  Do you want to?  

I know someone like Greater Austin would kill for a concrete guy who knows his stuff.  There are not enough to go around.  But having been an owner could you be an employee?  It’s a completely different situation and mentality.

Good luck man, lots of tough decisions ahead.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^Good advice about RE: keeping horse in front of the cart.  Any newfound career success will eventually be canceled out if your home/relationship status is not on solid footing.

Certainly wise to begin researching/networking + exploring new credentials or certifications that may assist in your transition, but I would not take any bold leaps until you reach finality with your business partner and the old lady.

Not to derail the dialogue, but do YOU still want to be married?  If the answer is yes (and your wife hasn't already checked out), then you might try and see if there are elements of this career rebuild + personal reset that may be conducive to a similarly fresh start/new chapter in your marriage that yall can partner on building together.  

• Like 1