Week 5 2024, Mississippi State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

What did I miss ??

By the way, I fly out to Brazil on Sunday 

They did a bunch of grabbing/twisting players and then just got in Sark’s face etc. 

where in Brazil? I lived in the south. Great country, great food, people etc. 

Eu tenho muito saudade para Brasil. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

They did a bunch of grabbing/twisting players and then just got in Sark’s face etc. 

where in Brazil? I lived in the south. Great country, great food, people etc. 

Eu tenho muito saudade para Brasil. 

Thanks , missed that during the game. 

Macaé and Niteroi. Love the people and the culture. Took me awhile to get used to the hugging 

Adorei o tempo que passei no Brasil

• Hook 'Em 2

Miss State fans are pretty friendly, especially if you're a team they don't consider a rival. When I was starting my undergrad at Houston we played them for homecoming for some reason. With their fan base you can tell who's a student or part of the alumni and who's a local "townie." Half of the people visiting looked like they slept under a bridge, but were really friendly and polite. The only complaint I have about them is those fucking cowbells. Shit is annoying. 

Other than that, Horns by 50+

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

“Might be our easiest conference win” is what it will be. This is the worst team in the conference by a wide margin. They just lost at home by double digits to the second worst team. Only UH is as bad a team in the Big 12 this year and those are probably the worst P4 teams. 

These guys are slow, undersized, undermanned via injury, and look poorly coached. Along with Ohio State, I think Texas is the fastest team in the country. This is a match-up made in heaven by the football gods for Texas when it comes to “welcome to the SEC” bullshit. Hey motherfuckers, Texas is not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with Texas. 

No you stupid sip, it’s not the football gods. It’s Snakey setting up an easiest SEC schedule ever for a mediocre whorn team

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JBJ said:

Model snapshot:

image.png.a9c7f89dff090c5ce6165a0634b52d98.png

Spread goes off the chart.  CBA to change it for this game.

I'm going to spoiler further commentary, but I'm fairly certain Texas is a bit overrated in the model.   The model does do a fantastic job of tampering the results against cupcakes, but in general there are not many reliable data points at this point in the season.  Especially for us right now.  I would point you to the "Confidence" rankings for both units. 

Reveal hidden contents

"Confidence" is basically a measure of how good the model thinks it can predict your team going forward.   This being poor doesn't really mean the model thinks we are possibly bad on either side of the ball, but that we are somewhere between a top 10 unit and something to tell your grandkids that you were alive for.  The best way to improve this is playing teams around the same ability. For example, MSST offense has a decent confidence ranking.  It is the #86 offense and has played the #55, #71, #89 defenses, so basically it has been tested against competition that it compares well to.  (FWIW, the #1 ranking does take into account the confidence of the model.  So the model still thinks we are likely the #1 offense and defense even after considering it has low confidence in our data so far.)  Many top teams don't have good confidence rankings right now, it's just how non-conference competition works for teams near the top.  Our Strength of Record is still #1 right now.

This is kind of balanced out by the high "Consistency" rankings.  Which is a similar metric, but backward-looking.  Knowing what we know now, how accurately does the model predict the games already played? Pretty damn good for Texas.

Basically, the data points line up well for us, but how telling can playing Michigan plus 3 dogs actually be?

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I didn’t realize the Commodore 64 came with that software. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

“Might be our easiest conference win” is what it will be. This is the worst team in the conference by a wide margin. They just lost at home by double digits to the second worst team. Only UH is as bad a team in the Big 12 this year and those are probably the worst P4 teams. 

These guys are slow, undersized, undermanned via injury, and look poorly coached. Along with Ohio State, I think Texas is the fastest team in the country. This is a match-up made in heaven by the football gods for Texas when it comes to “welcome to the SEC” bullshit. Hey motherfuckers, Texas is not locked in here with you. You’re locked in here with Texas. 

Chazz Palminteri GIF by Eric

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Vanderbilt plays tough and Florida probably at that point has some faction of a chance to complete forward passes. Miss St is verym very bad. Probably worse than any b12 team right now. 

Florida has talent, supposedly, and would actually be decent if they could just pull the trigger on Ol Yeller there.

17 hours ago, DaysOff said:

While at MSU, well-known pederass and pos Jackie Sherrill had a bull castrated in front of the team prior to the Texas game.

And at least two MSU DBs ended up taking themselves out of the game by trying to head-spear Ricky.

2 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Or Commodore VIC-20, or Texas Instruments TRS-80.  Lulz.

Star Trek Spock GIF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Or Commodore VIC-20, or Texas Instruments TRS-80.  Lulz.

TI did not make the shitty TRS-80. How dare you. That was a Radio Shack product. TI made the TI 99/4A, which was a badass computer for its time, with the world's first speech recognition software and 3D first-person adventure game. Unfortunately its storage was relegated to a series of insertable memory expanders that was the size of a small file cabinet and weighed 50 pounds. Still I wasted many many many hours of my youth playing Parsec and Tunnels of Doom on that glorious TI 99/4A. 

I also created a pong knockoff for the TRS80 for a science fair but no one recognized my genius. RIP to the computer science nerds of 80s middle school. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

TI did not make the shitty TRS-80. How dare you. That was a Radio Shack product. TI made the TI 99/4A, which was a badass computer for its time, with the world's first speech recognition software and 3D first-person adventure game. Unfortunately its storage was relegated to a series of insertable memory expanders that was the size of a small file cabinet and weighed 50 pounds. Still I wasted many many many hours of my youth playing Parsec and Tunnels of Doom on that glorious TI 99/4A. 

I also created a pong knockoff for the TRS80 for a science fair but no one recognized my genius. RIP to the computer science nerds of 80s middle school. 

I wasted a lot of time playing that text-only B-52 nuclear ("nucyular" Lulz) bomber game on the TRS-80 and its jolly, candy-like, big orange reset button. 

200w-3.gif.613e4109670824c290f0bcc026c2f5a9.gif

I corrected, stand, sir.  Lulz.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

My dad worked for TI and I spent MANY hours playing all the games on the TI 99/4A that we got for free. 

30 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

In retrospect, it could have been so much more if not for TI doing everything possible to sink it.

1. Even though it had a 16-bit CPU, they were terrified it would cannibalize minicomputer sales, so they gave it a really shitty bus

2. Were actively hostile to 3rd party development, even to the point of using an intermediary bytecode generated by the BASIC interpreter that then had to be re-interpreted by a secret hardware chip into machine code, to prevent reverse-engineering; refusing to allow developers to use Assembly until it was way too late, etc.

So many things it Might Have Been if not for bad management, kinda like Texas football in the decade before Sark showed up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Too bad you couldn’t use the TI 99/4A to clear up acne, eh nerd?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I'm this old: my first computer class had us programming TRS-80's. We could make that thing do some badass addition, subtraction, multiplication and division!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1