Week 5 2024, Mississippi State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

The OL that has played for 2.5 years together as a unit is suspect.  There's wrong and then there's flat out fucking retarded.  The reason Auburn can win titles and aggy can't is because aggy is retarded...

Any texags subs wanna send me $9.95 for more pearls of wisdom?

The message board quote is from a Mississippi State site. But yes, aggy is aggy.

https://www.on3.com/boards/forums/true-maroon.183/

FCB on Ewers

Ewers practiced all week and is probably at "80 to 85 percent" healthy following the injury he suffered at the 12:19 mark of the second quarter against UTSA on Sept. 14, according to a source close to the situation. That source said Ewers wants to play against Mississippi State "to resume the season he's having and lead this team."

Another source said it's "50-50" whether Texas coach Steve Sarkisian will play Ewers on Saturday.

"It will be a game-time decision," the source said. "If it was OU, 100 percent Quinn would be playing. But giving him two more weeks of recovery makes a lot of long-term sense, too."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If I'm the team doc and he isn't 100 (footballese 110) percent healthy, I recommend sitting that guy until OU. It's easier to hurt something more than to start hurting something like this. Ewers is not going to play 80% effort or 80% contact and shouldn't be throwing and getting hit at "80"% health. Don't take an injury 1-2 weeks away from being all better and make it 4 weeks away unless you are in single elimination and the player is mission-critical. That medical opinion may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

I really hope this is how we're approaching it. 

With the goals we realistically have this season, beating msu by more points shouldn't be relevant.  If we think Arch can beat them, and Quinn isn't 100%, that feels like the answer. 

The only unknown to me is if they think two more weeks off leaves Quinn rusty for ou.  If there's any rationalization to playing him, it's not having as long of a break before our two biggest games of the year.  I trust people paid very well to make decisions like that.

I suspect they’ll remain cautious with Quinn and keep him sidelined. May be in uniform for “emergency duty” (did they do that for the KSU game last year? Don’t recall.) Sark expressed regret over last week’s bombs away game plan, so I expect the blueprint for Mississippi State will look a lot like the beginning of the UTSA game with fast tempo and a lot of short to midrange throws (“long handoffs”) to backs/TEs/wideouts to give Arch some work in that style offense. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on Ewers

Ewers practiced all week and is probably at "80 to 85 percent" healthy following the injury he suffered at the 12:19 mark of the second quarter against UTSA on Sept. 14, according to a source close to the situation. That source said Ewers wants to play against Mississippi State "to resume the season he's having and lead this team."

Another source said it's "50-50" whether Texas coach Steve Sarkisian will play Ewers on Saturday.

"It will be a game-time decision," the source said. "If it was OU, 100 percent Quinn would be playing. But giving him two more weeks of recovery makes a lot of long-term sense, too."

34 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If I'm the team doc and he isn't 100 (footballese 110) percent healthy, I recommend sitting that guy until OU. It's easier to hurt something more than to start hurting something like this. Ewers is not going to play 80% effort or 80% contact and shouldn't be throwing and getting hit at "80"% health. Don't take an injury 1-2 weeks away from being all better and make it 4 weeks away unless you are in single elimination and the player is mission-critical. That medical opinion may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

The whole OTF crew has been talking about whether Ewers should start in terms of him being at 90% to 95%. I don't know if there's an agreed upon method for determining what percentage Ewers is at, but if FCB and OTF have similar sources then it sounds like he's going to sit. 

1 hour ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Let Arch start and get the game in hand in the first half.  Let QE play the 3rd qtr with all other starters to get some rust off, then bring in Owens for the table scraps. 

So Ewers is healthy enough to play, but not to start? Yes, let's create an actual QB controversy where there has been none.  If Quinn plays, he starts.

Just now, gofuckyourself said:

Texas could beat Miss State with NowThis behind center.

I don't know, he might get really distracted behind center.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

The whole OTF crew has been talking about whether Ewers should start in terms of him being at 90% to 95%. I don't know if there's an agreed upon method for determining what percentage Ewers is at, but if FCB and OTF have similar sources then it sounds like he's going to sit. 

The whole discussion is a bit silly. If Ewers is healthy, he is going to play. If he isn't, he will sit. Without having the doctor's report, it is nothing but speculation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The only unknown to me is if they think two more weeks off leaves Quinn rusty for ou.  If there's any rationalization to playing him, it's not having as long of a break before our two biggest games of the year.  I trust people paid very well to make decisions like that.

Counterpoint here is that every snap you give Arch gives him more experience. 

We aren't losing to MSU regardless. They'll be lucky to outscore Texas' D and ST. So, scenario A:

- Give Arch another start 

- Bring Quinn back two weeks more rested for OU

- Start Quinn: Quinn either balls out, plays well enough to win, or clearly struggles and isn't close to 100% or tweaks something again and can't finish the game.

- In that worst case scenario Arch has:

- A: another full game at the FBS level (albeit against a dog team)

AND 

- B: has gotten to marinate in the atmosphere a bit and watch the game from the sidelines and hopefully comes in with less shaky knees than if he had to start

Scenario B:

- Roll Quinn out there against MSU - pray he doesn't tweak anything. Arch could get a little playing time, a lot of playing time, or no playing time. 

Then you have another A/B:

A: Quinn goes into OU. Maybe he plays better than if he takes MSU off. But if he has to come out then Arch potentially hasn't taken a meaningful snap in game in a month.

B: Quinn gets dinged against MSU and can't start in Dallas and we have to roll a RS Fr out there who has never taken a snap in the game. 

-------

I think unless you feel like Quinn is 100% then it's pretty fucking silly to entertain trying to play him this weekend. Seems like a very marginal gain to be had vs. some potential meaningful negatives that could muddy up the OU game. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Counterpoint here is that every snap you give Arch gives him more experience. 

We aren't losing to MSU regardless. They'll be lucky to outscore Texas' D and ST. So, scenario A:

- Give Arch another start 

- Bring Quinn back two weeks more rested for OU

- Start Quinn: Quinn either balls out, plays well enough to win, or clearly struggles and isn't close to 100% or tweaks something again and can't finish the game.

- In that worst case scenario Arch has:

- A: another full game at the FBS level (albeit against a dog team)

AND 

- B: has gotten to marinate in the atmosphere a bit and watch the game from the sidelines and hopefully comes in with less shaky knees than if he had to start

Scenario B:

- Roll Quinn out there against MSU - pray he doesn't tweak anything. Arch could get a little playing time, a lot of playing time, or no playing time. 

Then you have another A/B:

A: Quinn goes into OU. Maybe he plays better than if he takes MSU off. But if he has to come out then Arch potentially hasn't taken a meaningful snap in game in a month.

B: Quinn gets dinged against MSU and can't start in Dallas and we have to roll a RS Fr out there who has never taken a snap in the game. 

-------

I think unless you feel like Quinn is 100% then it's pretty fucking silly to entertain trying to play him this weekend. Seems like a very marginal gain to be had vs. some potential meaningful negatives that could muddy up the OU game. 

Quinn is playing this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 7

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We're a national championship contender. This could be our year. I want our current starter getting as many healthy reps as possible before the big deal games.

I'm doing a lot of speculation on his status going into this weekend. I agree that if he's close to 100% start him and if he has to come out so be it. I just think any experience for Arch is going to be super valuable either for the rest of the season or going into next. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm doing a lot of speculation on his status going into this weekend. I agree that if he's close to 100% start him and if he has to come out so be it. I just think any experience for Arch is going to be super valuable either for the rest of the season or going into next. 

I understand the idea that experience is good for the younger players, but its about health. Its not like we are sitting here debating whether or not Banks should start at left tackle, because Texas can win with Goosby and he would be more prepared if he started vs Miss State. Do we do that at safety, WR, LB, etc? If Quinn is healthy play him. You can start thinking about getting experience for guys, when it is 28-0 at half.  If he is not healthy, sit his ass. 

Edited by Codaxx

16 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I see another 20+ carry day for Blue. Gibson and Niblett are some dogs too. Let’s just embarrass these cowbells and get to the bye week.

I'm pretty sure Wisner would play if Texas was playing OU or Georgia this weekend.  He might play Saturday but I wouldn't be surprised if Sark rests him against Miss St to give his hamstring another week to get right for OU and Georgia.  Fingers crossed that none of the three players you mentioned gets hurt on Saturday.   

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If Quinn is healthy play him. You can start thinking about getting experience for guys, when it is 28-0 at half.  If he is not healthy, sit his ass. 

I was responding to the idea that even if Quinn isn't 100% it would behoove us for him to play so he doesn't go into Dallas "rusty".

Y'all are quickly taking this in a different direction.

And by 100% I mean no serious risk of reaggravating the oblique or making it worse/turning into a nagging injury for the rest of the season. 

Knocking the rust off?....WTF is that anyway?...Some pencil neck that does not know shit about football came up with that idea... We have an off week before OU anyway....You would think that everyone plays like shit the first game of the year. Speaking of that....How rusty was Quinn against CSU?

Goddamn!...healthy or not healthy is the only consideration....forget about that rust crap!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Knocking the rust off?....WTF is that anyway?...Some pencil neck that does not know shit about football came up with that idea... We have an off week before OU anyway....You would think that everyone plays like shit the first game of the year. Speaking of that....How rusty was Quinn against CSU?

Goddamn!...healthy or not healthy is the only consideration....forget about that rust crap!

And don't forget, sometimes when you knock the rust off you are left with a hole or a stripped screw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1