Paris/Europe in late January?

Hornin04

I made the mistake of getting married in late January.

We're coming up on 15 years in 2025. Initially I thought we should go somewhere warm because we live in New England. My wife is now throwing out the idea of doing Paris because we've always talked about going (I've been a few times but she's never been).

I think Paris is best in warmer weather. The pros are that flights are very cheap, cheaper than the Caribbean, and hotels are much less expensive that time of year. My wife is envisioning cozy warm cafes and museums as well as enjoying a luxurious hotel, nice restaurants, and not worrying too much about the cold weather outside.

Anyone have firsthand experience in the winter in Paris? I've heard mixed reviews. Any other similar locales we should consider that might be a bit warmer and more easily explored at that time of year?

• Hook 'Em 1

Its actually fine in January, weather is very mild so not particularly cold nor wetter than the rest of the year. Only thing you really lose out on is daylight. 

Med coastal Spain is always a good escape for weather…but Paris wont be bad. 

We actually decided to get married during a late Dec trip to Paris and proposed a few months later in Spanish islands (Canaries)

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Paris is great in January... less crowded, relatively easy to make resos, cozy and romantic, and usually not too cold for exploring. If you're into food, it's a good time of the year as well... post-game season, but you can still find winter specialties like lievre a la royale or whole truffle in puff pastry.  If you're worried about the weather, we spent a week in southern Spain at the beginning of February this year, and it was glorious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I've done the winter months in Paris three times - I love Europe in the winter, it's so charming and romantic.  It really wasn't that cold in Paris, but the idea of cozy warm cafes and museums is real and awesome.  And the lack of crowds is even better. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I have done late November/early December in Paris a couple of times, and it is totally fine. As mentioned earlier, daylight is short, but the lights or Paris are amazing. There are a lot less people crowding into places.

The last time I was there at that time of year (2017), it did get cold and snowed, which I thought was beautiful (I lived in Houston at the time). 

I have been meaning to get to Paris for my birthday (early January) for a few years, and am hopeful that I will be able to work around work deadlines at some point soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, 3adays said:

My wife has a work trip there in February and wants to drag me and our 7 yr old daughter along. I’ve been leaning “no”, but wanted to hear some surly opinions. 

You're an idiot if you don't take the opportunity to go to Paris, and allow your daughter to experience one of the great cities in the world, and understand what life is like outside the United States. But that's just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 4

So I'll need some tips now that I've booked.

We arrive on the morning of our anniversary, so I'm sure that day we'd like to chill and have a nice fancy dinner to celebrate. But we will have five full days including the first where we arrive at 7:00 a.m.

I've been before but it has been almost 20 years, and I've never been as an adult with money to spend to enjoy the finer things in life.

Will be looking for restaurants, hotels, and other recs now. A cooking class sounds cliché but fun.