UNLV starting QB: fuck this shit, I'm outta here (check bounced)

Gil Bang

44 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Serious question: Is this true?

I'm more familiar with MLB, and MLB incentives can only be for playing time.  You can't put incentive clauses in contracts that are based on how many homers you hit or how many strikeouts you accumulate.   

If there's a bye week, do NFL players not get paid that week?

Incentives cut both ways.  Rough.

Eliminated Pirates DFA veterans Rowdy Tellez, Michael A. Taylor - ESPN

31 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Sounds like the OC might have been out there making a bunch of bs promises. He could be the one fucked in all of this. 

It’s pretty clear this is what happened. A coach (or coaches) made a bunch of financial promises that they couldn’t keep.

At some point they realized they didn’t have the money (they might have always known) but figured if they start the season, the kids wouldn’t just up and quit in the middle of it.

Well, they upped and quit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s pretty clear this is what happened. A coach (or coaches) made a bunch of financial promises that they couldn’t keep.

At some point they realized they didn’t have the money (they might have always known) but figured if they start the season, the kids wouldn’t just up and quit in the middle of it.

Well, they upped and quit.

and how many other colleges have this issue that arent the 5 major powers in CFB? this wild west no salary cap bullshit is going to blow up once all of these players start redshirting 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

9 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If they promised and didn't pay, time for negotiation hardball. If they promised and didn't pay at 3-0, this would be a good hand to play. May force them to pay, May allow you to get paid elsewhere.

What’s a promise or commitment here?  The issue is that there should be agents and counsel allowed, and standard contracts.  Nil can’t be a “handshake” situation.  So I want to see what his nil contract looks like.  Otherwise this kid probably heard one thing instead of what was said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:I'm more familiar with MLB, and MLB incentives can only be for playing time.  You can't put incentive clauses in contracts that are based on how many homers you hit or how many strikeouts you accumulate.

You can also get them for certain high-level achievements, which seems kind of inconsistent. Why can you pay a bonus for winning the MVP but not hitting 50 homers or batting .350?

1 hour ago, CDC4Heisman said:

Is the thread name Pedantic Circlejerk already taken?

I feel like I saw Pedantic Circlejerk at Liberty Lunch back in the day.

Most shocking element of this story is that beating Houston and Kansas can somehow be considered “signature wins” that make you a playoff contender.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

and how many other colleges have this issue that arent the 5 major powers in CFB? this wild west no salary cap bullshit is going to blow up once all of these players start redshirting 

Hell, I'm old enough to remember when paying for women's sports was the thing that was going to destroy college sports.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You can also get them for certain high-level achievements, which seems kind of inconsistent. Why can you pay a bonus for winning the MVP but not hitting 50 homers or batting .350?

Because it increases the incentive to shoot for those numbers, when there will actually be game situations when trying to hit a homer or trying to hit a single is not in the best interest of winning.

I'm honestly very surprised the NFL allows incentives on stuff like passing yards or passing TDs.  That could put a QB nearing those bonuses in a bad position.

54 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Got here as quick as I could, I heard there was an O&G discussion going on.  Did I miss it?

Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man's here. We need a live... is it a live rooster?   We need a live rooster to take the curse off Jose's glove and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, horn009 said:

A simple solution, though it will likely never happen, would be for the NFL to allow 18-year-olds to be draft eligible. If a player thinks that they're worth millions of dollars straight out of high school, they should be able to go play in the NFL if they want to. It would help filter out the players that are only playing college football for the sake of getting a payday and nothing else. 

The NFL doesn't want this at all.  They love the fact college football does the filtering for free for them and they can take a chance on a 22 year old vs an 18 year old.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

My nephew is a pilot and lives in the Marshall Islands.  He spends his free time fishing and catches a shit ton.  You're not allowed to sell fish there so he sells plastic baggies for various prices and gives the fish away for free.  You can take however much will fit in your bag.

He doesn't sell fish though.  

There's always an uncle...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Because it increases the incentive to shoot for those numbers, when there will actually be game situations when trying to hit a homer or trying to hit a single is not in the best interest of winning.

I'm honestly very surprised the NFL allows incentives on stuff like passing yards or passing TDs.  That could put a QB nearing those bonuses in a bad position.

Yeah that makes sense, although in the age of analytics the whole idea of move a runner over, don’t swing with a slow-pitch softball uppercut, etc, has kind of gone out the window. In the days when the shift was (rightfully) allowed you should have been able to pay bonuses for laying down a bunt to a wide-open left side of the infield. Probably wouldn’t have paid out more than $500…

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Edgerrin James once got into a spat with Jim Mora because of this. It was late in the game and the Colts could run out the clock with a first down, so Mora told everyone to just fall down if they got the first. But Edgerrin had touchdown incentives in his contract, so he got the ball and scored.

Mora was pissed, but Edgerrin simply told him, if you don’t want me to score touchdowns then don’t put that shit in my contract.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

3 hours ago, CBHorn said:

Here is how understand NIL works using a real world example:

Back in 1998 and 1999, José Lima was a starting pitcher for the Houston Astros, winning 37 games in two seasons and was selected to the 1999 National League All-Star team. This was so called "Lima Time" rocking and Casa Olé (Fresh today, every day!) signed Lima to a deal in which he appeared in television commercials promoting the fine Mexican cuisine and ambiance offered by the Houston area restaraunt chain. In 2000, José's heat lost its spice and he had a league worst 6.65 ERA and gave up 48 enchiladas. The Astros traded him the following season. Casa Olé paid him to advertise for them based on the idea that his successful pitching would cause fans to choose Case Olé for their fine dining needs and purchase more tacos, burritos, green sauce and the like. Once he was no longer an effective pitcher for the Astros, his value to Casa Ole deteriorated like old queso. His was not paid to play even if his value was derived from his successful play.

In my mind, college sports NIL is the same. Being an athlete creates value but the contract does not require athletic performance. A specific player is valuable to local business seeking an NIL partner while a member of the local team. Once that player disassociates themselves from the local team, then value goes away.

I know this was a post in jest but now re-do this in a world where the Astros and all MLB teams are not allowed to pay players directly, and the only way players can make money is via the deals they can get from businesses in the area and fans of the Astros.  Then imagine Lima gets promised $xMM/yr in those deals to come to Houston and then the deals don't deliver.  He should still play for "free" because the deal was just for his NIL, right?  Because it's not pfp?

The interesting thing in this UNLV example that belies the "not pfp" myth is here we have a player who is clearly NOT getting paid...and as a result they are choosing NOT to play.  Kinda seems like he thought it was pfp...

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I know this was a post in jest but now re-do this in a world where the Astros and all MLB teams are not allowed to pay players directly, and the only way players can make money is via the deals they can get from businesses in the area and fans of the Astros.  Then imagine Lima gets promised $xMM/yr in those deals to come to Houston and then the deals don't deliver.  He should still play for "free" because the deal was just for his NIL, right?  Because it's not pfp?

The interesting thing in this UNLV example that belies the "not pfp" myth is here we have a player who is clearly NOT getting paid...and as a result they are choosing NOT to play.  Kinda seems like he thought it was pfp...

There’s something missing in your hypothetical.  What’s the arrangement between Lima and the Astros?  Did he still sign a contract with the Astros to play for them for something other than payment?  Did the Astros agree with Lima that he will only play if the third parties pay him?  Depending on these missing pieces of information, maybe the Astros tell Lima that he is still bound to play for the team.  Maybe the Astros promised to only pay for Lima to get an education at the University of Astros at Houston.  I’m just bullshitting now.

5 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

If you won't pay a QB 100K that could lead your team to the playoff, you need to get out of big boy college football. I wouldn't bame the kid if he was offered 100K and demanded 250K. I've seen coaches leave before the season was over because it was in their own financial best interest. I am fine with players doing the same. 

Seriously. You get $36k minimum just for being on the roster at SMU - and that number has probably gone up already. $12k is a fucking joke. That's a few hundred-dollar-handshakes and a leased corvette. 

The idea that QB1 at any school worth a shit wouldn't hit 100k pretty easily is asinine. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

There’s something missing in your hypothetical.  What’s the arrangement between Lima and the Astros?  Did he still sign a contract with the Astros to play for them for something other than payment?  Did the Astros agree with Lima that he will only play if the third parties pay him?  Depending on these missing pieces of information, maybe the Astros tell Lima that he is still bound to play for the team.  Maybe the Astros promised to only pay for Lima to get an education at the University of Astros at Houston.  I’m just bullshitting now.

That's a shitty university man, and I have it on good authority those racist mother fuckers never even heard of Jobu.