UNLV starting QB: fuck this shit, I'm outta here (check bounced)

Gil Bang

Kid seems like an idiot to me. Just fake an injury or something. If you wanted to have one more year playing at another school, you nuked your chance to do that with this stunt.

It's also head scratching to not be able to come up with $100k in LV.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

The issue is that if he frames it that way as to why he's shutting it down it becomes pfp and basically puts a middle finger up to the NCAA.  Safer for him to frame the real reason for sitting as something else.  AKA lying.

I think it might be safer but it's unnecessary. It's entirely reasonable that if I were offered a job in Las Vegas that I might relocate only if a separate deal to provide additional income goes through. If that separate agreement falls through then I can no longer work for the main employer. 

"Sorry boss, my housing arrangement fell through and with nowhere to live I can't work for you anymore."

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

Most of you do understand that these players get paid monthly by the school right? Like cash cash, not credits not room and board reimbursements. Straight ACH cash like a paycheck. 

This is on top of scholarship, they also get $25-30 bucks a day in bevo bucks to spend on food IIRC that's use it or lose it daily though. 

Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

The collective and Sluka / his agent never talked. You can't be bound to a contract because a 3rd party says you'll do something.

I'm going back to my first post on this that NCAA should suspend Sluka 1 year with loss of eligibility.  He's admitting to the whole world that he thought he was accepting an improper inducement.

Are you on the side of the school?  

5 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Some form of this might happen but, like NCAA basketball, it will cripple cfb.  Not a fan of the idea. 

College football is already a shell of its former self in its current state. I don't see what real harm that people coming straight out of high school and being drafted into the NFL would do. If an 18-year-old already thinks that their talent is worth millions of dollars before they play a down of college football, it's probably a good indication that they probably think that they're already pro material. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The family fucked up by having absolutely no understanding of the process they were going through and not finding someone qualified to guide them through it.  I also think it's pretty clear the coaches made them financial promises that the UNLV collective couldn't meet.  If the school and collective don't have their shit together, it's pretty hard to blame the entire mess on the Sluka family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, horn009 said:

College football is already a shell of its former self in its current state. I don't see what real harm that people coming straight out of high school and being drafted into the NFL would do. If an 18-year-old already thinks that their talent is worth millions of dollars before they play a down of college football, it's probably a good indication that they probably think that they're already pro material. 

How many 18 year olds do you see being drafted, even if they were available?

The idea that having talent valuable at the college level means they think they’re already pro material seems very poorly thought out. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The NCAA is an empty nutsack at this point, complete impotence. They ain't gonna even ask questions on this shit anymore.

States leges are passing/trying to pass laws which will protect their state schools from the NCAA doing anything to thwart "NIL" payments. NCAA pretty much is fucked. Their time to do anything has passed.

Also, the optics on this dude is that he's all about the money. Will be interesting to see which coach/program takes a chance on this guy when he hits the portal.

CTJ says the dude is a better runner than passer. Aggy will prob be first in line because desperation. I'm half joking.

Edited by crash_davis

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The idea that having talent valuable at the college level means they think they’re already pro material seems very poorly thought out. 

Exceptionally talented players coming out of high school could absolutely be drafted into the NFL. If a college football program is willing to pay a player millions of dollars before they've proven a single thing on the field, it's a clear sign that program firmly believes that the player is exceptionally talented and has an NFL future. Before the NBA introduced the rule that required draft-eligible players to be one year removed from high school, LeBron and Kobe were drafted straight out of high school and went on to become some of the best basketball players ever. 

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Prolly Adrian Peterson and Sean Taylor. But that’s about it 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, horn009 said:

Exceptionally talented players coming out of high school could absolutely be drafted into the NFL. If a college football program is willing to pay a player millions of dollars before they've proven a single thing on the field, it's a clear sign that program firmly believes that the player is exceptionally talented and has an NFL future. Before the NBA introduced the rule that required draft-eligible players to be one year removed from high school, LeBron and Kobe were drafted straight out of high school and went on to become some of the best basketball players ever. 

No they couldn't the physical, talent, and mental gap is far too great from HS to straight pro. You 100% cannot compare NFL and NBA with regards to this.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, horn009 said:

Could != would. You’re talking about Earl Campell-level players. There aren’t many of those. 

Having an NFL future isn’t the same as being NFL ready.

That your two NBA examples, where the NBA is nothing much like the NFL, were two of the greatest players of all time shows how ridiculous the concept is, imo, as far as having any meaningful impact on anything. 

The skill and strength gap is huge.  It's much more like baseball where years of development are needed before a player is ready to compete.  There's not a highschool qb on earth who can go straight to the NFL.  What team is going to draft one and pay them to sit on the bench for 3 or 4 years?

NFL practice times have been bargained down to such small levels, that there are zero reps to go around for developmental guys, and besides that NFL practice squad salaries are shit and NIL in the pros only comes when you prove it on the field, not because of your high school rating.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The skill and strength gap is huge.  It's much more like baseball where years of development are needed before a player is ready to compete.  There's not a highschool qb on earth who can go straight to the NFL.  What team is going to draft one and pay them to sit on the bench for 3 or 4 years?

Hell most 1st round QBs don't pan out after college development.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Exactly this. The NFL has no incentive to change when college football has become a minor league system that the league doesn’t have to fund. NFL owners aren’t going to kill that golden goose.

• Like 2

1. QB quitting on team = wrong. Do not let your team down. Fight the man another way, but do not quit on your team.

2. BM promising money that won't be delivered = wrong. Looks very slimy.

3. NIL group comes off, to me at least, looking a little low-power but not necessarily culpable in this show.

4. HFBC needs to know more and/or intervene more if this was BM. If you aren't coaching it, you are allowing it to happen.

5. This makes them look like amateur hour and will hurt the opportunities for all involved when more professional counterparties are available in the future.

6. This increases my gratitude for the professional way Texas and its NIL program appear to be run.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's been mentioned consistently that Ewers and Manning are aware of the study that says 25 college starts is correlated pretty strongly with NFL success. QBs absolutely wouldn't be drafted out of high school. 

If the NFL had to allow its teams to draft high school athletes (and they do not because they collectively bargained for the three years out of high school rule), they absolutely would draft high school athletes, especially QBs.  In this scenario, they obviously wouldn't play in the NFL right away (although great WRs might play as rookies out of HS), but the NFL would develop a system to train them up and then play them when they are ready.

Do people really think that not a single team out of the 32 franchises would spend one of their seven rounds of draft picks on Arch Manning out of high school?  They would do it just to take the chance on the upside, because they are unlikely to get that chance if he goes to college, unless they have the number one draft pick.

Like in the NBA, eventually the teams will start drafting more and more younger players just to stash them for the upside and to keep them away from their competitors.

Of course, this will never happen, because the NFL prefers to forbid it so that the players can be developed by the colleges and they do not have to waste that money.  The NFLPA also has no incentive to change it, because they would have to give up something in exchange and none of the NFLPA players are in high school or college, so fuck them kids.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Is there another sport that has as big a jump from high school to pros as the NFL?  Maybe golf?  Track and field?

In a weird way, gymnastics and tennis.  It's strange because sometimes a 16 or 18 year old might be amongst the best in the world and become pros as teenagers while the "really good" ones go to college and almost never become "pro".

• Hook 'Em 1

Did not read thread.

Is there a link somewhere on this site where I can Pay the Players directly?  I was told this is very simple with NIL, and I just kind of give them money.  

Im low on funds right now, but I think I can finance like a couple TFLs and perhaps an interception OR a punt block? I want to be judicious about the plays that I pay for.

I'll hang up and listen.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

For the experts and lawyers, do the the upcoming changes (legalized pay-for-play) mean this will get cut out? i.e. - language in contracts saying that sitting out uninjured or even threatening to sit out for higher pay will lead to financial withholding or even penalties?

Of course. Nothing like that will ever happen again. Just look at the NFL and NBA. 

(half joking)

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Did not read thread.

Is there a link somewhere on this site where I can Pay the Players directly?  I was told this is very simple with NIL, and I just kind of give them money.  

Im low on funds right now, but I think I can finance like a couple TFLs and perhaps an interception OR a punt block? I want to be judicious about the plays that I pay for.

I'll hang up and listen.

https://burntendsnil.com

38 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Is there another sport that has as big a jump from high school to pros as the NFL?  Maybe golf?  Track and field?

Baseball and Golf are probably the best examples. It's very rare for players to be consistently competitive until they're in their early to mid 20s in golf. Tiger was the youngest major winner in 65 years when he won the '97 Masters and he was still over 21. Only he and Spieth have won before 22 in the modern era and it's almost as rare for guys younger than 22 to win any of the top 10 or 15 events on tour. 

In the NHL you more consistently see guys that are 19, 20, 21 come in and light it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's entirely reasonable that if I were offered a job in Las Vegas that I might relocate only if a separate deal to provide additional income goes through. If that separate agreement falls through then I can no longer work for the main employer. 

Totally agree with this 100%. And to anyone who says the players are ruining college football, universities, AD's, athletic departments, coaches and boosters say hi. 

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Totally agree with this 100%. And to anyone who says the players are ruining college football, universities, AD's, athletic departments, coaches and boosters say hi. 

Don’t let media companies off the hook.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

If the NFL had to allow its teams to draft high school athletes (and they do not because they collectively bargained for the three years out of high school rule), they absolutely would draft high school athletes, especially QBs.  In this scenario, they obviously wouldn't play in the NFL right away (although great WRs might play as rookies out of HS), but the NFL would develop a system to train them up and then play them when they are ready.

Do people really think that not a single team out of the 32 franchises would spend one of their seven rounds of draft picks on Arch Manning out of high school?  They would do it just to take the chance on the upside, because they are unlikely to get that chance if he goes to college, unless they have the number one draft pick.

Like in the NBA, eventually the teams will start drafting more and more younger players just to stash them for the upside and to keep them away from their competitors.

Of course, this will never happen, because the NFL prefers to forbid it so that the players can be developed by the colleges and they do not have to waste that money.  The NFLPA also has no incentive to change it, because they would have to give up something in exchange and none of the NFLPA players are in high school or college, so fuck them kids.

Of course. I was viewing the discussion as taking place within the current NFL structure (no minor league teams, current roster sizes). In which case zero high school QBs would be drafted. 

52 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Baseball and Golf are probably the best examples. It's very rare for players to be consistently competitive until they're in their early to mid 20s in golf. Tiger was the youngest major winner in 65 years when he won the '97 Masters and he was still over 21. Only he and Spieth have won before 22 in the modern era and it's almost as rare for guys younger than 22 to win any of the top 10 or 15 events on tour. 

In the NHL you more consistently see guys that are 19, 20, 21 come in and light it up.

Baseball is an interesting example, because I wonder how many more young players would get a shot in the big leagues if the compensation structure was not built so that teams benefit from keeping them in the minor leagues longer.

every last one of y'all bitches who are bitching about the state of ncaa football due to the portal and the money can suck my big fat burnt orange dick

been saying for decades if paying players EVER got made legal, Texas would rule.

now remind me who the #1 ranked football team in the country is? with a roster so stacked their 2nd stringers would start almost everywhere else?

fucking us, that's who

and whatever happened in vegas can fucking stay there

hook em

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, horn009 said:

Exceptionally talented players coming out of high school could absolutely be drafted into the NFL.

Bath salts much?

A handful could get drafted and sit, but they wouldn't be seeing the field.

No would-be 18 year old college freshman is going straight to the NFL and doing shit, other than taking it up the ass with no lube.

Edited by redswingline

28 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Bath salts much?

A handful could get drafted and sit, but they wouldn't be seeing the field.

No would-be 18 year old college freshman is going straight to the NFL and doing shit, other than taking it up the ass with no lube.

Even though they'd likely be bench warmers for a few years, they'd still be making way more money than they would be with NIL deals in college. 

46 minutes ago, horn009 said:

Even though they'd likely be bench warmers for a few years, they'd still be making way more money than they would be with NIL deals in college. 

No kid out of high school would get drafted high enough to get the big payday. The big star names are absolutely making more in NIL dollars than they would on some NFL team taking a late round flyer on a kid that has only faced off against high school competition.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

No kid out of high school would get drafted high enough to get the big payday. The big star names are absolutely making more in NIL dollars than they would on some NFL team taking a late round flyer on a kid that has only faced off against high school competition.

We’ll never know either way. However, the fact that the NFL needed a rule to prevent players from getting drafted out of high school suggests that teams would be drafting those kids if there wasn’t a rule. Given how hard it is to find a QB, I bet Arch would have gone pretty high straight out of high school just on potential. 

6 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

We’ll never know either way. However, the fact that the NFL needed a rule to prevent players from getting drafted out of high school suggests that teams would be drafting those kids if there wasn’t a rule. Given how hard it is to find a QB, I bet Arch would have gone pretty high straight out of high school just on potential. 

That does not suggest that at all, lmao. 

6 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

The rule imo is from a different era.

Back when RB’s ruled the league and the body size / nutrition / speed was less.

Even if they eliminated that rule, there will maybe… maybe some team that takes a flyer in the 7th round on a guy like Manning.

But even then, the NIL is going to be >>>>>> than that 7th round money so after a couple of times teams will just stop doing it.

College was the minor leagues before and still is.

Its just that instead of indentured servitude, we have a a weird form of feudal capitalism.

The Roman empire that was the NCAA in a sense that forced labor for meager pay fell when TV money went to conferences, the remaining Byzantine empire that was left died by the hands of the Supreme Court, and now we live in some sort of feudal Holy Roman Empire style of sports governance. 
What was the saying? It was neither Holy, Roman, or a true empire?

Yeah college football is neither National, collegiate, or an association as the governance is really up to the school / state, the players are really professionals, and they conferences are calling the shots.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

1. QB quitting on team = wrong. Do not let your team down. Fight the man another way, but do not quit on your team.

2. BM promising money that won't be delivered = wrong. Looks very slimy.

‘Sticking with your team’ is all well and good, but then he loses another year of eligibility without getting the bag. Odds are he’s not gonna play pro football, so he should go get his $ while he can. And schools who need a good QB won’t care that he quit. I hope it works out for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1