2024 State Fair

Zepol87

On 9/28/2024 at 10:52 AM, luke duke said:

Very solid. I know the owners of that booth. They used to have a Thai restaurant and this wing was on the menu. Highly recommend.

I remember having that dish from a Thai place in Dallas and it being good.

Ok. To get a good place to sit down and have some beers. Not sure how to describe it. At Big Tex left hand there is booths and food /beer vendors. There is a building. Not sure what is there. Any way there is some stairs. Go up stairs and about 10 tables with umbrella and almost never full even on high traffic days. There is a place behind the vendors that show games on tv. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok. To get a good place to sit down and have some beers. Not sure how to describe it. At Big Tex left hand there is booths and food /beer vendors. There is a building. Not sure what is there. Any way there is some stairs. Go up stairs and about 10 tables with umbrella and almost never full even on high traffic days. There is a place behind the vendors that show games on tv. 

The building Where the hot tubs, massage chairs , etc are located?

On 9/27/2024 at 9:42 PM, Zepol87 said:

I just assumed "Little Big Tex" would be Big Tex's cock

On 9/28/2024 at 8:12 AM, Zepol87 said:

It was good day couple more. 
glasses is newly single and in her ho phase now I’ll bring her to TX ou 

IMG_4160.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg

What your cock looks like when glasses is finished with you? 

22 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The building Where the hot tubs, massage chairs , etc are located?

No. Building beside the magnolia beer garden. Couldn’t remember the name till I looked it up. 

Ok. We have to talk about Fletcher’s. I understand if you want to neg me; let me have my say. 

At the RRS, I have always made sure to get a Fletcher’s corn dog. There is always a huge line, and when the middle was not hot (even cold), I have just attributed it to a busy staff running them through the frier too fast. 

I took my daughter and her friend today, and decided to get a Fletcher’s, figuring it should be perfect, without much of a line. The first couple of bites were perfect. Then,…not hot. Not lukewarm. 

I may have to just hit Hans Mueller or get a turkey leg from here on out. It’s sad when legends fade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2024 at 3:42 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I usually get mine over by the car show and they never disappoint.

We went a week ago (Tuesday evening) and grabbed one near the Crazy Mouse. No line, and the lady working made both of them fresh dipped and fried in front of us. Easily the best corny dog I’ve ever had.  /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2024 at 3:23 PM, statsman said:

Ok. We have to talk about Fletcher’s. I understand if you want to neg me; let me have my say. 

At the RRS, I have always made sure to get a Fletcher’s corn dog. There is always a huge line, and when the middle was not hot (even cold), I have just attributed it to a busy staff running them through the frier too fast. 

I took my daughter and her friend today, and decided to get a Fletcher’s, figuring it should be perfect, without much of a line. The first couple of bites were perfect. Then,…not hot. Not lukewarm. 

I may have to just hit Hans Mueller or get a turkey leg from here on out. It’s sad when legends fade. 

maybe ask for yours well done next time? idk man my fletcher's are always perfect.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2024 at 1:42 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I usually get mine over by the car show and they never disappoint.

Yep that is usually where I go and they are perfect 

4 hours ago, stc said:

went last saturday. it was the least busy saturday that i've experienced in many years...there were no lines for anything. the card stacker guy in the hall of state is worth checking out, he had completed the ut tower and the cotton bowl, assuming he was going to start working on some sooner shit next. corny dog across from big tex was hot and delicious, birria bomb was great, stuffed wing was excellent, belgian waffle never disappoints. the drone show was cool until it turned into a ford commercial. $4 lone star still exists in the food building and the barn in front of the cotton bowl. start looking down once it gets dark and you'll find some tickets...ground scored $20 worth. 

bbomb.jpg

bbomb2.jpg

belgian.jpg

tower.jpg

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

Fuck yea man that is some good shit. 4 coupon beer also in tower building by the funnel cake queso burger which is delicious btw

7 minutes ago, MontereyMX said:

I was told there is one spot you can buy beer with card.   No coupons needed.  Yes or no? 

I’ve been 3 times this year and haven’t found this at all. I think I had a beer from every damn stand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, MontereyMX said:

I was told there is one spot you can buy beer with card.   No coupons needed.  Yes or no? 

I came in on the side nearest the sale barn.  As you walk towards the stadium on the left, just before you reach the circle road around the stadium, there was a bar I bought a beer with my card.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I came in on the side nearest the sale barn.  As you walk towards the stadium on the left, just before you reach the circle road around the stadium, there was a bar I bought a beer with my card.  

Yep, right across from where they have the baby animals, is a place that will let you pay with a card. 

You can also use a card at the old mill. 

Of course you can use a card in the stadium. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Holy fuck thank you 

• Haha 1

That maniacal, crazy looking thing not only freaks out people but animals as well. 

DALLAS - A frightened police horse injured a fairgoer at the State Fair of Texas on Tuesday afternoon. Dallas police say a mounted police officer was patrolling Big Tex Circle around 3 p.m. when the horse was startled.

The officer tried to regain control of the horse, but was bucked off. A fair patron was injured in the incident. Police say the patron was taken to the hospital to be treated for the injuries as a precaution. The mounted police officer was also evaluated for injuries.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/state-fair-of-texas-police-horse-fairgoer-injured

image.png.097c4e4b4d23c9e1cf103ef6907ee4ad.png

Traveling up with the kids on Friday.  Plan to try and Dart tram to the fair.  The tram picks up near 635 and 75 according to my analysis.

Is there a reason to NOT do this?  

If this is a decent idea, can someone tell me any nuances about riding the tram (ticketing/passes/frequency/schedule) that a south Texas might want to know in advance?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dendox said:

Traveling up with the kids on Friday.  Plan to try and Dart tram to the fair.  The tram picks up near 635 and 75 according to my analysis.

Is there a reason to NOT do this?  

If this is a decent idea, can someone tell me any nuances about riding the tram (ticketing/passes/frequency/schedule) that a south Texas might want to know in advance?

I think the only issue is how crowded the trains will be.  On game days they get completely packed as you get closer to downtown and getting on at a station close to Fair Park can be a challenge.  I imagine Friday will heavy traffic on the trains but likely manageable.  If the train you're getting on at Park Central (635 & 75) is the same line that runs to Fair Park entrance (I think it's the Green line but that's just from fuzzy memory) you'll probably be fine on the way in, but you may have to wait a train or two before you can get on leaving.  They run around every 5 minutes during the Fair if I recall correctly, but I imagine DART has schedules posted you can check on the website.

If you download the DART app you can purchase your train tickets (electronic ticket on your phone)  in advance.  

Edited by DDD Dad

If you're getting on at 635 & 75, you're on the Red or Orange lines. Those don't run straight to the Fair unless it's an express line which I believe are very rare. Normally, you have to get off at downtown (Pearl Street Station) and switch to the Green line to get to the Fair's front entrance. 

https://www.dart.org/about/news-and-events/dart-to-the-state-fair

One app with 3 passes is fine. 

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If you're getting on at 635 & 75, you're on the Red or Orange lines. Those don't run straight to the Fair unless it's an express line which I believe are very rare. Normally, you have to get off at downtown (Pearl Street Station) and switch to the Green line to get to the Fair's front entrance. 

https://www.dart.org/about/news-and-events/dart-to-the-state-fair

One app with 3 passes is fine. 

great info - you are right, according to the fancy DART website (orange to green)

Idk what the DART situation will be like on Friday, but I can tell you from experience that on game day it is a HUGE pain in the ass. From 2015-2019 my wife and I would catch the TRE from FW to the AAC, and the DART shuttle would run you from AAC to front gate of the fair. It was a 56? minute train ride to AAC and then an hour or so of sitting in line and then on the shuttle before we got to the Fair. I can’t imagine it will be anything close to that congested Friday, but for anyone thinking of using it on Saturday I would plan accordingly.

I avoid DART at all costs, just because post game can be such a cluster. I fear post game this year being later will be more a cluster than usual. 

We are staying near a dart station, me and the guys are getting up and getting to the fair sometime between 8-9 and will find parking easily. The wives/children will take dart a little later (call it 10:30) and I am sure they will be fine getting to the fair. 

But then we can all leave in one car after the game when it’s a madhouse. 

Birria Bombs sucked

Funnel cake ale is always good.

Couldn't bring myself to try the cotton candy bacon.

Fletcher's dog was on point as usual.  

Cajun fried deviled eggs needed some sauce.  

Lost count of how many times I smelled weed.  

Baffled at the various stands calling Coors Banquet the "Cheap" beer.  

49 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Birria Bombs sucked

Funnel cake ale is always good.

Couldn't bring myself to try the cotton candy bacon.

Fletcher's dog was on point as usual.  

Cajun fried deviled eggs needed some sauce.  

Lost count of how many times I smelled weed.  

Baffled at the various stands calling Coors Banquet the "Cheap" beer.  

Can't speak for State Fair cotton candy bacon specifically, but if you ever get the chance to dine at Kayne Prime (pronounced Cane Prime) in Nashville, the house made bacon with maple cotton candy is a must try appetizer.  It will change your life.

Cotton candy bacon - meh

Bourbon bacon - good

burnt end Mac n cheese- really good

fried frito pie - meh

fried strawberry with chocolate and powder sugar - really good

not enough water in the stadium - really really really shitty

On 9/28/2024 at 11:42 AM, Zepol87 said:

IMG_4100.jpeg

On 9/28/2024 at 7:25 AM, Zepol87 said:

IMG_4029.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

On 9/28/2024 at 7:38 AM, Zepol87 said:

IMG_4044.jpeg

On 9/28/2024 at 9:38 AM, Zepol87 said:

IMG_4064.jpeg

A couple more Texas state fairs, and you’re gonna lose those ladies to Vic. 

OK, wrt Fletcher’s- I pulled in early and there was almost no line. I told the guy I wanted one really well cooked (I can come across more polite in person than on the board). It was perfect, all the way through. No temperature problem. 

I suspect this wouldn’t go as well at a time when the line goes back 15 yards, so I might have to just pick my spot. 

IMG_9905.thumb.jpg.858f5f3ad93652f901805eeb6d12137f.jpgMy cherished cinnamon roll inside the Food Pavilion is no more. Fucking travesty. Had to settle for the Cotton Candy bacon instead. I will miss you, old friend. 

Edited by mdmost

Boy had his first fletchers as well as his first everything there this weekend. What a fantastic day, weather was pretty good considering it was 94, but not humid and a good breeze. 

My mom harny been to the state fair in 30+ years. She was stoker and it was her first TX ou game. She's hooked. 

• Hook 'Em 2