Texas vs. Mississippi State - 3:15pm on SEC Network

Pancho

13 minutes ago, coolsax said:

Offense struggles but I’m impressed even more with D. With how much MSU dominated time of possession in first half. D only gave up 6. And then only the td when game was in hand. Never thought we’d lose at all but was a struggle early

3 touchdowns allowed in 5 games. 
That’s pretty good 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 3

• Pancho unpinned this topic
2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The difference in this game were mental fuckups by us, shitty officiating, and the most bone-headed, predictable play calling ever on the offensive side of the ball in the 1st half

It wasn't all on Sark's play calling although I think he was keeping it somewhat vanilla. There were lots of failures to execute. Likewise, the defense not getting off the field limited offensive opportunities in the first half. Great strategy by M State that wouldn't fly if the D didn't allow it. Buttloads of penalties, rightly or wrongly called, definitely disrupted getting into rythm.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not the game we wanted.  Just sloppy mistakes on offense.  Two fumbles and a dropped TD pass play a role.  Seemed like an off night for Blue.  We scored TDs on half our possessions, which is pretty solid.  But it either felt easy, or we shot ourselves in the foot.

I didn't mind playing conservative on defense.  I thought their RBs did a good job getting extra yards with our defense so spread out.  That is my biggest complaint.  Our tackles never felt solid and drove the RB backwards.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Let’s be real. This was sarks bonehead dumbass game that he usually has. Thankfully we’re good enough to win by double digits 

I came to say this. Sark in big games isn’t a concern. It’s these games Texas should win by 50 that are the concern.

MSU tried the ground and pound, and it worked to the tune of first downs but not points. Defense held up. 

On the other side of the ball the only thing that stopped Texas was Texas.  The fumbles, the penalties, the drop by cook.  The decision to go on 4th and then the following play call.

Game is already slowing down for arch.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Honestly, this type of uninspiered performance isn't going to do us any favors in Graham Harmon's SEC Power Rankings.

She'll still have us ranked 8th after we win the national title.

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Game is already slowing down for arch.  

He does definitely need to learn that 1-2 extra yards when you're nowhere near the first down line or goal line are not worth leading with your right shoulder to take on a linebacker. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

It did feel like we really didn’t want to use Gibson at all, and limit the hits and tackles our rbs as a group took. 

Agreed that I don't think it was just a bad game for Sarkisian. He's been talking a lot about coaching for a 16 game season and that had a lot to do with today's approach. It still wasn't great but it's a valid point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Bad tackling is probably the #1 concern from this game. That shit was Manny Diaz esque.

I think it was lack of focus which is connected to a lot of the problems today. I think it was the rat poison. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Idk if this has been mentioned but Lebby coached for Venables last year and there was lots of chatter the dirt burglers knew our signals. Hutzler coached under Sark also. Would explain why Miss State was usually in the right place but just weren't good enough to take advantage 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Agreed that I don't think it was just a bad game for Sarkisian. He's been talking a lot about coaching for a 16 game season and that had a lot to do with today's approach. It still wasn't great but it's a valid point. 

That’s a fair counter point.

Rushing game was deceptive.  It felt like they were consistently gashing us for 3-8 yards, but ended with 3 yards per carry.

Felt like we struggled and ended to 6 yards per carry.  

Wisner is the man.  Just tough, fast, deceptive, hard to tackle.   When he got going it was like flipping a switch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Idk if this has been mentioned but Lebby coached for Venables last year and there was lots of chatter the dirt burglers knew our signals. Hutzler coached under Sark also. Would explain why Miss State was usually in the right place but just weren't good enough to take advantage 

Except we have helmet comms now. But yeah. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Rushing game was deceptive.  It felt like they were consistently gashing us for 3-8 yards, but ended with 3 yards per carry.

Felt like we struggled and ended to 6 yards per carry.  

Wisner is the man.  Just tough, fast, deceptive, hard to tackle.   When he got going it was like flipping a switch.  

I bet it was the sacks that made the 3 yard per carry they did run the ball well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

- I'm glad they benched Blue. 2 momentum killer fumbles. He's talented, but a frustrating player to watch and is not an every down back. Moving forward if Blue/Wisner/Gibson are healthy, we need to decrease Jaydon's workload. He is a weapon but not steady or dependable enough. 

- The weak link of our defense is DT, and MSU smartly pounded up the middle with 3 yard and a cloud of dust. The sloppy tackling was a bit worrisome, glad they faced a little adversity heading into the OU game. 

- Arch was fantastic. He had numerous NFL throws. My god. 

- Really happy for Deandre Moore. Dude is good and I was worried he'd get lost in the WR rotation and be a transfer candidate. 

- Would Colin Simmons be a top 10 pick this year? Holy fucking shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Bad tackling is probably the #1 concern from this game. That shit was Manny Diaz esque.

Some of the worst tackling I have seen from this group. I hope the staff is in everyone's ear about that for the rest of the season (and especially the next 3 weeks)

• Hook 'Em 1

Scipio Tex has said a big difference between this year’s D and last year’s is that a lot of last year’s was driven by individual dudes making plays, whereas this year’s is coherent, cohesive, connected at all three levels, whatever co- word you prefer.

As successful as the outcome and results were, and things still did largely seem cohesive, today was the first game where some individual efforts really made the difference vs a systematic effort. Simmons stands out, the VB strip sack,  Jahdae on a couple pass break ups.

There was also some poor technique that got taken advantage of. Everybody’s favorite badass Anthony Hill parted the sea for the TD on his blitz; Simmons got upfield a time or tea and then didn’t play the puller correctly a time or two. Anyway, lots to correct there. 

Overall feels great to win a game by 3 TDs at about 60% capacity of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1