Texas vs. Mississippi State - 3:15pm on SEC Network

Pancho

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

He said postgame that they already planned on going for it if it was 4th and less than 5 following the 3rd down play, so once the offsides made it 4th and 3 there was no hesitation. Added he won’t apologize for being aggressive in those spots because that’s the mindset he wants the players to have.

Hindsight is always 20/20. We convert and score a TD and everyone loves the decision or forgets their uneasiness about it.

It was just a very poor play call for the situation. 

Some other folks already pointed out the aspects of not being in rhythm offensively, making it a 2 score game which in turn puts pressure back on MSU and other factors. Taking points off the board is rarely a good choice.

My bigger problem is exactly what you noted. Sark sometimes has what I consider to be a bit of an issue is adjusting his plan or script to in game realities. 

We as fans recognized the items above about rhythm and pressure. Sark admitted to his mistake. Why, in game time, didn't he recognize that the slight momentum tilt that keeping the 3 on the board would give Texas? Had it been say, 4th and 2... maybe. 4th and 4 is a bit of a different story. Because he had already decided to go for it, he couldn't come off that when offered the chance. THAT is what concerns me. Adaptation to what's happening real time. Our Oline was getting hammered, our WRs weren't playing great, and Arch was a tad off. We all saw it. Why didn't Sark see it and keep the points? This is just one example but it makes me nervous as this isn't the first time he's stuck with a game plan (big or 1 play) that he probably should have altered for a variety of reason, but didn't.

Edited by BurntEyes

Welp of course with the Miss St showing we’re getting blown out by UGA, losing to OU and we may go 1-2 against Kentucky, Arkansas and A&M and if we’re not careful Vandy will hand us our ass to. 

seen this coming a mile away. 
like Bama didn’t look like Ass against S.Florida and UGA barely got by a Kentucky team. 

the only team that’s looked dominant is Tenn  but w.e im glad the press clippings we’re gonna be reading for the next two weeks is how we barley beat the worse team in the SEC now is back to work! 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Overheard in section 16C today from the dipshits behind me-

“Texas will probably lose 3-4 games after this”

”Arch NOT SEC ready, inaccurate and slow”

”Please don’t say OU sucks when we aren’t playing OU”

”We look like a fringe top 25 team, not even top 10”

”Getting embarrassed on national TV, we will be #5-6 tomorrow”

”Georgia would beat this team by 40”

Our fans are fucking idiots. Congratulations on sitting amongst some of the dumber of them. Hopefully they at least let their kid pound a Michelob Ultra. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Well, in the bigger picture I see the upside of riding the lines on both sides of the ball and hammering WRs for the staff prior to ousux. Players got a taste of a team that stepped on the field wanting it more than we/they did, and ousux, pig and aggie are all going to be more amped than MSU was in that game. 

I see it as an well timed teaching moment, that gratefully came against a team as weak as MSU. 

For the record, I think Kentucky is a substantially better team than ousux, aggie and pig. They definitely play the best defense out of those 4. Heck, they may play better D than Georgia... maybe. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All fans are fucking idiots. Congratulations on sitting amongst some of the dumber of them. Hopefully they at least let their kid pound a Michelob Ultra. 

Ftfy

Texas absolutely has a lot of idiots in the stands and on message boards. 

We don't stand out, based on my personal experience, as particularly worse than most. Further, we definitely are not as dumb as some. Hell, anyone get a 30-40 year olds, jersey wearing, fight caught on video yesterday? Anyone get their cars damaged? Anyone get directions to the stadium from a super kind and helpful fan?

No?

Well...

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It will be interesting what PK does against better competition because he is rotating a lot. There can't be many teams playing their backups as much as us.

The announcers said Sark was rotating more in the early games to prepare for the longer season with the playoffs. But we rotated a lot on defense last year too.

Ahhh, yes the classiest of fans clearly understand “make ‘em eat shit” is proper etiquette until the early part of October. What kind of savages would we be without their savvy, refined guidance?

Edited by Lou Loomis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

That’s the template on file here on Surly and before on Shaggy since the last years of the Mack era.  Some got used to pulling it out almost every Saturday since then.  

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Ftfy

Texas absolutely has a lot of idiots in the stands and on message boards. 

We don't stand out, based on my personal experience, as particularly worse than most. Further, we definitely are not as dumb as some. Hell, anyone get a 30-40 year olds, jersey wearing, fight caught on video yesterday? Anyone get their cars damaged? Anyone get directions to the stadium from a super kind and helpful fan?

No?

Well...

This is true about all fans being idiots. Ours our set to bit more default pessimistic and critical. I know we have some myopics too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As others have said, it's rarely smart to take points off the board.  

But the score and situation made it especially dumb.  You're looking sloppy and sluggish vs a scrappy underdog, and you FINALLY got a 2-score (11-point) lead for the first time all day...

And that's not hindsight talking.  When our offense went back out there, everyone around me agreed, "This is stupid whether we get it or not."  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is true about all fans being idiots. Ours our set to bit more default pessimistic and critical. I know we have some myopics too. 

Absolutely agree. We definitely have a strong market of Chicken Littles in the UT fan base. Won't lie, I have been know to flock with those on occasion myself.

Edited by BurntEyes

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

It’s crazy that it doesn’t get called against the defense. When all of the OL are pointing at them every time it happens, makes me think something is actually going on.

MSU was definitely doing something. 

Somewhat relatedly, it really felt like they knew our plays more than a few times. I don't know if there was a tell in there or if we were just being predictable, but I found it interesting. 

Edited by Dahobbs

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Care to elaborate?

I was at the game and to me it looked like he held the ball too long quite a few times. That's one of the areas where I think Quinn is significantly better right now. The other is Arch seems to be waiting for guys to get open and Quinn is very good at throwing guys open and/or throwing the ball accurately into much tighter windows. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I was at the game and to me it looked like he held the ball too long quite a few times. That's one of the areas where I think Quinn is significantly better right now. The other is Arch seems to be waiting for guys to get open and Quinn is very good at throwing guys open and/or throwing the ball accurately into much tighter windows. 

Ok sure. But that’s not arch being off, that’s just where he is right now as a passer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If someone is "off," they are playing below their capabilities. Arch graded out as the best QB in cfb yesterday. He still has room for improvement, but he wasn't off. He has only started 2 games.

• Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok sure. But that’s not arch being off, that’s just where he is right now as a passer. 

Well, then as a passer at this stage of his development he was a tad off and our head coach should have fucking recognized that reality before taking points of the board in a tight, at that point, game.

You focused on one minor quivel and one sentence that was otherwise completely about our head coach and NOT about our QB. 

This fucking place. 

53 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

MSU was definitely doing something. 

Somewhat relatedly, it really felt like they knew our plays more than a few times. I don't know if there was a tell in there or if we were just being predictable, but I found it interesting. 

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He's not close to Quinn on the crossing routes right now.  Ewers is about as good at those as you can be.

47 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, he's still learning.  With his accuracy on deep balls, he's going to light the world on fire when the game slows down for him and he's able to find the open guy quickly.

Yeah, MSU's whole gameplan was to muddy up the waters in the intermediate passing game and keep people in the box. On offense they were determined to overwhelm the interior of our D-line. It was largely working. However, Arch was able to pop the lid off their defense, and eventually they had to abandon their gameplan once we put some distance between them score wise.

On another note, the ball placement on short throws was a little off. He led players into tackles a few times. He will get better but it's something that has hurt us the last couple weeks.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 2

He does need to work on his passes to running backs.  He throws them too hard and doesn't put the ball where the running back can get yac. That's another area where Ewers is much better right now.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Miss State was rushing 3 or 4 a lot and Arch had many clean pockets with no pressure. I'm good with him holding the ball longer in those situations to find the bigger play, and he did. 

Arch played really well yesterday. What the fuck is going on here? 

Someone was talking about Sarks choices and behaviors and pointing out some realities regarding the game to that point prior to taking points of the board.

In those points the words "A TAD OFF" (to that point) was used to describe Arch's play and rather than focus on the primary subject of coaching choices some chose to focus on a semantic arguments regarding the meaning of tad and off. 

So here we are.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Haha 1

We have shown a trend in false starts and holding penalties every game.  We’ve had many scores come back due to bullshit penalties. 

my concern is the best o line in college football shit and it took us 3 tries to get a few inches at the goal line. I’m good with taking the points off the board on 4th and 3 when you have a team like ours. The play call was fucking retarded but we were also playing like retards. So it tracks. 

So far we’ve been lucky but one of these games a critical score that could win us the game is gonna get called back because fucking Cam or someone “holds”

the refs still fucking suck dick too   But whatever. We are 5-0. 2 weeks to rest. Heal. Practice and mudhole OU 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

On another note, the ball placement on short throws was a little off. He lead players into tackles a few times. He will get better but it's something that has hurt us the last couple weeks.

Some of this is on Arch, some if it is people missing their blocks and defenses blowing up the play early. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This is where I am.  Fuck you who don’t think we’re winning the sec sec sec year one.  

We played like shit and still scored 35 pts.  We played like shit and only gave up 6 points through 3.5 quarters.  We played like shit and our backup QB went 26/31 for 324.  There’s gonna be games in a season where things don’t go right.  The 09 team had 10 point wins over 9-4 Tech and 6-7 Aggie.   05 team played like dogshit against a 5-7 Aggie team. Hell it happens.  Least we picked MSU with a bye week after to do it.  We’ll beat OU 21 in a few weeks and the world will be back in order. 

Perhaps I missed it, but are there a lot of doom and gloom post here in this thread about UT's chances to win the SEC? 

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

Shitty first half. An opponent that got up for us combined with getting in our own way and making mistakes. Previous Texas teams would’ve wilted. Sark has to take the points especially when they actually are on the board. I get Sark’s reasoning but I disagree when it’s there versus a chance at more. Blue needs to figure out how to hold onto the ball. He cost his team and his benching was earned. Defense was good not great. I think they weren’t ready for MSU’s running game. Can’t argue with 6 sacks and a turnover. Arch was great. His teammates let him down over and over but he kept going. This is a great game to have before OU to have things to work on the next two weeks.

They threw so many bullshit flags on Texas I was sure to see them thrown both ways but I was wrong. Oh well, beat the team and the zebras let’s do this. Get better and kill okie