Texas vs. Mississippi State - 3:15pm on SEC Network

Pancho

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did they have success?

They ran the ball 50 times for 150 yards. Some decent runs mixed in with a lot of negative plays behind the line of scrimmage. PK seemed content just letting Mississippi State be conservative and keeping the ball in front. 

The strategy was to keep our offense on the sideline so they couldn’t score points. It worked in the first half and kept us from getting into an offensive rhythm. I expect we’d have done better with Ewers playing, but it’s a sound strategy. There was almost no chance they would beat us regardless. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Should have been a touchdown. His arm with ball hit pylon before knee 

Even if you think his knee was down before the pylon moved, his hand/football wasn’t more than 4 inches away.  You spot the ball correctly and his next sneak is in easily.  I think the first QB sneak was in and they didn’t even really look at it.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, MIkeHoncho said:

Question for the professional surly refs.   On the Arch TD/Non-TD scramble, I can understand them not giving the TD, but why after all that time on the review was the ball not re-spotted to be about 1" from the goal line?  To leave it at the 1.5 yd seems ridiculous.  

You're asking us to justify that spot that should have been either A) a TD or B) inside the 1 foot line?

Well... I can't. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Quinn playing would’ve changed nothing. Arch played great and we gave away 4 drives we wouldve scored on if Blue doesn’t fumble twice, Johntay doesn’t drop the wide open touchdown on a perfect throw, and Sark goes for it on 4th after making the FG. game should have been 28-6 at half

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

The strategy was to keep our offense on the sideline so they couldn’t score points. It worked in the first half and kept us from getting into an offensive rhythm. I expect we’d have done better with Ewers playing, but it’s a sound strategy. There was almost no chance they would beat us regardless. 

The fumble and the TD drop let MSU continue their keep away strategy. That is 10-14 pts that would have forced MSU to abandon their strategy. You can add penalties to the overall fuckery that kept MSU in the game. The penalties have to get fixed, as they seem to consistently show up this season 

• Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, MSU's whole gameplan was to muddy up the waters in the intermediate passing game and keep people in the box. On offense they were determined to overwhelm the interior of our D-line. It was largely working. However, Arch was able to pop the lid off their defense, and eventually they had to abandon their gameplan once we put some distance between them score wise.

On another note, the ball placement on short throws was a little off. He led players into tackles a few times. He will get better but it's something that has hurt us the last couple weeks.

Part of that last bit is we are used to Ewers who has masterful placement on those short throws. I don't see many QBs at any level being as good at that as Ewers is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

Quinn playing would’ve changed nothing. Arch played great and we gave away 4 drives we wouldve scored on if Blue doesn’t fumble twice, Johntay doesn’t drop the wide open touchdown on a perfect throw, and Sark goes for it on 4th after making the FG. game should have been 28-6 at half

I think it’s mute bc the gameplan is different with Quinn.

But also Quinn doesn’t throw the deep ball anywhere close to as well as Arch. He would have missed half of those epic deep shots IMO.

Maybe the end result in pts is the same, but how we get to the 35 pts is different. 
Our screen game sucked a big one in this. Quinn gets the ball out there faster with is sidearm shortstop throws. 
Also we did nothing over the middle and I have to think we would have seen more of that to the TE if Quinn is in.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Seems like they got the spot wrong on every play in that series. The RB run I think it was Wisner seemed like they spotted it too close to the goal line.

Yeah.. first it was a TD by Arch or at worst inside the 1. Then a sneak which was a TD. Then Wisner should have been at the 1 yard line iirc

Every single call outside the final TD call was incorrect. Pretty impressive.

4 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I think it’s mute bc the gameplan is different with Quinn.

But also Quinn doesn’t throw the deep ball anywhere close to as well as Arch. He would have missed half of those epic deep shots IMO.

Maybe the end result in pts is the same, but how we get to the 35 pts is different. 
Our screen game sucked a big one in this. Quinn gets the ball out there faster with is sidearm shortstop throws. 
Also we did nothing over the middle and I have to think we would have seen more of that to the TE if Quinn is in.

That's what honestly has to give the ousux D staff issues. Very heavy odds are Quinn will start, but they still have to be mindful that he MIGHT not. (It'll be Quinn 99.9% but...)

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

The week before, the D caught a penalty  for clapping our count. Why does everyone know our snap count. Do we need  to change it?

Considering how much our line fucks up and false starts I don’t really want to change much.

I could be wrong but I don’t think we’ve played a game yet without multiple false starts by the OL.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In hindsight, -37.5 wasn’t a good number. While I appreciate the respect Vegas, Purdue at fOSU is the only conference game that can cover a spread that big. 

I don't disagree with you but, absent a couple of boneheaded plays and play calls (Blue's fumbles, Cook's drop, Sark taking points off the board, a boatload of bad penalties) and I think we would've had an excellent chance to cover that even with them completely changing their game to play keep away from our offense. It looked clear to me that MSU REALLY wanted to beat us and our own team still did more to frustrate our general plan than they did

• Hook 'Em 1

That did not look like a briles offense at all. It was power run to the tune of 3.5 every time, barely move the chains, and some rpo mixed in to catch our lbs in conflict and throw slants behind them.  A couple of deep shots late but only when the score started to get away. 

Briles would have made us defend sideline to sideline with wr screens and outside runs, not just between the hashes. 

Couple of other random thoughts while I’m posting- thought it was interesting that the refs chose not to flag the msu running back for his halfassed swing and then head butt if hill after he got stuffed and then hill shoved him. equally interesting that they were going to give msu an auto first down on an iffy facemask on 3rd and 27, on a play where both players were really grabbing at each other and at minimum Simmons was being held, but picked the flag up after a chat. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I probably missed it if already discussed, but it looked like Sark pulled DJ Campbell out of the game in the second half after he nearly drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after a TD. Hutson looked so tiny playing RG.

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Your Honor, I strenuously object as it is not my faultthat I'm regarded ...

35:30 is the sequence that led to Campbell being pulled.

Not that big a deal IMO but I’m guessing the staff had already issued a warning to everyone.

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think we are just going to have to live with Sark being over-aggressive at times. It’s just who he is as a coach. We don’t bitch when it works. He is very confident in his offense and his abilities to call the right play. It tends to work out for him over time

I guess sometimes it works. I don't recall it ever working with implications as dire as when it doesn't work. I guess that slick reversal of route we did a few times with Worth was good. It was likely necessary, too. I just don't remember the game.

I do bitch when it works. It encourages him to repeat the error in judgment.

4 hours ago, nycHorn said:

The missed tackles and push the pile on their runs (2-3 yards pushed into 6-7 yards) were the most frustrating of parts. Hopefully we get healthy in the RB room and can disperse the load rather than rely on Blue.

I dispersed a load in your mom last night.

Sorry man...I couldn't leave that hanging curve ball out there.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Care to elaborate?

there is nothing to elaborate, it's made up garbage. 

Arch was near perfect in actually throwing the ball, he had a handful of plays in the first half where he was a second too late on decisions--to either check down, tuck and run or throw it away--and maybe another 2-3 throws where it looked like he forced it into the wrong read, but other than that, he was nails. 

Yeah, he is a little slow in picking up clear extra edge defenders, but again RB blitz pickup is beyond awful, on a PA-pass if you have a free rusher you have to adjust your angle to pickup if that is your assignment. 

Look, there were also a couple plays Arch should have checked out of, but not sure where he is in that freedom--plus one was for sure in the 4th when Sark was probably insistent to stay in run calls--even if we should have switched to a different run. 

Arch was near perfect in actually throwing the ball, he had a handful of plays in the first half where he was a second too late on decisions--to either check down, tuck and run or throw it away--and maybe another 2-3 throws where it looked like he forced it into the wrong read, but other than that, he was nails. 
Yeah, he is a little slow in picking up clear extra edge defenders, but again RB blitz pickup is beyond awful, on a PA-pass if you have a free rusher you have to adjust your angle to pickup if that is your assignment. 
Look, there were also a couple plays Arch should have checked out of, but not sure where he is in that freedom--plus one was for sure in the 4th when Sark was probably insistent to stay in run calls--even if we should have switched to a different run. 

Arch is already pretty fucking good and will be a Bona-fide superstar next season. Ewers is still the better option running the offense, though he will never touch Arch’s ability to throw deep (wow) but it’s amazing the talent in the QB room right now.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

I’ll just add. There is big gap between Ewers and Arch on the extremes. Arch is a great deep ball passer. He does seem to struggle at times with the short throws. Vast majority of the time Ewers is putting that throw on the upfield shoulder giving the receiver a great YAC opportunity. Arch has thrown that a bit behind at times, slowing the play up 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Theories on how much Lebby’s FIL helped with MS State’s game plan? I’d guess a lot. 

I don't think it was that complicated or surprising of a game plan and was fairly obvious given the roster disparity + QB with no experience.   It's what Kentucky did earlier in the day and it's what damn near every team other than UGA will probably try to do to some extent.   Certainly what Michigan wanted to do as well until we got the lead.  If Blue doesn't fumble on the 2nd series and we score it would have probably been over at that point.  Shortening the game only works if you can keep  within striking distance.    

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

1) I know you missed it but the post was specifically talking about Sarks choices to take points off the board.

2) Please tell me the EXACT words you would use to describe Arch's pass on 4th and 4 immediately after we took point off the board. 

Note, you may not use "A TAD OFF" nor any facsimile of that specific language I chose to use in my post.

I'll hang up and listen.

4 minutes ago, Yesh said:

On run defense - we were giving them a light box and Simmons has no idea how to play a pulling blocker.

This is made up garbage. 

Simmons was near perfect in actually pulling a blocker, he had a handful of plays in the first half where he was a second too late on decisions and maybe another 2-3 plays where it looked like he pulled it into the wrong way, but other than that, he was nails. 

Look, there were also a couple plays Simmon should have pulled better, but not sure where he is in that freedom--plus one was for sure in the 4th when Sark was probably insistent to stay in run calls--even if we should have switched to a different run.

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This is made up garbage. 

Simmons was near perfect in actually pulling a blocker, he had a handful of plays in the first half where he was a second too late on decisions and maybe another 2-3 plays where it looked like he pulled it into the wrong way, but other than that, he was nails. 

Look, there were also a couple plays Simmon should have pulled better, but not sure where he is in that freedom--plus one was for sure in the 4th when Sark was probably insistent to stay in run calls--even if we should have switched to a different run.

Not sure what this has to do with Collin Simmons and his inexperience in run defense?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The spread was that high because Mississippi State normally plays uptempo. 

Like CSU, they completely changed how they played against us. Ran the ball a lot and just tried to control time of possession. I guess only losing by 22 is a win for a SEC school.

it was brilliant

same thing heupel did in norman last week

run the ball 50 times and choke the home team's oxygen supply

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Phil WIth Hair said:

Not sure what this has to do with Collin Simmons and his inexperience in run defense?

Nothing at all, I was being pedantic, sarcastic and regarded all at the same time. It's a pretty magical combination I'm able to pull off in my own mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2