Texas vs. Mississippi State - 3:15pm on SEC Network

Pancho

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

Washington missed three field goals and had two drives end on downs - including getting stuffed at the Rutgers 2 yard line. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is that good?

well, it's better than this....

• 1st & Goal at OU 1

(13:26 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for no gain to the OU 1
  • 2nd & Goal at OU 1

(12:48 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for no gain to the OU 1
  • 3rd & Goal at OU 1

(12:05 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for a loss of 1 yard to the OU 2
  • 4th & Goal at OU 2

(11:30 - 4th) Quinn Ewers pass complete to Xavier Worthy for 1 yd to the OU 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 8

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dunlap on OB said he counted 4 missed tackles for Hill on Saturday. Was not a good day for him.

I didn’t rewatch, but this matches what I saw live. Hill looked lost and slow on Saturday. It’s probably the first time he’s faced that Briles defense as a starting ILB, so it’s somewhat understandable. PK is also generally bad against that offense.

Shouldn’t affect us too much unless we have to play Tenn in the SEC title game, which I doubt happens. 

I rewatched the defensive plays only, and mostly had the same take away for the LBs. Sometimes they would shoot the gap perfectly for a TFL, other times they would hit the wrong gap or just crash into the line.  

I think this tells the story pretty well:

IMG_1475.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

So I just watched the game, obviously without the emotional element of real-time. Thoughts on the game:
1. Arch - holy shit. He was really really good. He missed a few things but several times hit the 2nd or third read. His passes were mostly on the money. His running was solid. Man, this dude is for real, as we all knew he is.  He played better this game.
2. Formula for Upsets - despite not being able to see the game, by the texts I was getting you would have thought Texas was a complete disaster. But really, the opponent slowed the game down with a persistent running attack, Texas had key mistakes at inopportune times, the tackling and angles were off at times, and they had way too many penalties. That is the formula for getting upset. But Texas still looked good a lot on D and O. Just need to reduce the mistakes. I’m less worried than I was before I saw the game. 
3. Wisner - solid. No surprise. 
4. Broughton and Gbenda- have these two started to turn the corner?
5. Stickiness - I like our DB stickiness as compared to previous Sark teams. 
6. Run Defense - I didn’t see guys getting blown off the ball, I saw more of LB’s in the wrong place. Lebby was the OC last year when they beat Texas. He knows how to draw up an offensive game plan against Texas that exploits its weaknesses. 
7. Speed - man the speed at WR is amazing  
Overall, I feel ok going into OU. After seeing Georgia roar back, that game is going to be a lot tougher. Enjoy this ride. It should be a good one, and maybe a great one.  

I like it. A well said observation.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So I just watched the game, obviously without the emotional element of real-time. Thoughts on the game:

1. Arch - holy shit. He was really really good. He missed a few things but several times hit the 2nd or third read. His passes were mostly on the money. His running was solid. Man, this dude is for real, as we all knew he is.  He played better this game.

2. Formula for Upsets - despite not being able to see the game, by the texts I was getting you would have thought Texas was a complete disaster. But really, the opponent slowed the game down with a persistent running attack, Texas had key mistakes at inopportune times, the tackling and angles were off at times, and they had way too many penalties. That is the formula for getting upset. But Texas still looked good a lot on D and O. Just need to reduce the mistakes. I’m less worried than I was before I saw the game. 

3. Wisner - solid. No surprise. 

4. Broughton and Gbenda- have these two started to turn the corner?

5. Stickiness - I like our DB stickiness as compared to previous Sark teams. 

6. Run Defense - I didn’t see guys getting blown off the ball, I saw more of LB’s in the wrong place. Lebby was the OC last year when they beat Texas. He knows how to draw up an offensive game plan against Texas that exploits its weaknesses. 

7. Speed - man the speed at WR is amazing  

Overall, I feel ok going into OU. After seeing Georgia roar back, that game is going to be a lot tougher. Enjoy this ride. It should be a good one, and maybe a great one.  

As was already stated this is a very good and reasonable assessment. I largely agree with most everything.

Some primary agreements/my thoughts based on performance to date.

1) This biggest area of improvement defensively is the secondary. It's is, imo, a marked improvement. Now, to be fair, we haven't played a good passing O all year. However, I have more confidence now against Georgia give this and the on/off or hot/cold nature of their QB. I don't think ousux brings much in the way of passing but they're our biggest test to date, imo. (Need to do some stats analysis, which i should have prior to this post but, lazy)

2) This biggest drop off I've seen in the D is in the gap fill game primarily but not entirely by the LB crew. Our D requires some assistance with line on gap fill, so isn't entirely on the LBers, but...

3) Wisner should be, imo, our primary RB moving forward. He might not have the flash/speed of Blue but he's consistent and he goes HARD. He's also go some nice moves. Effort.. amazing effort.

4) Arch It's interesting to watch him. Early in the game he seemed just a little out of sync with his timing and the speed of his reads. However, he doesn't let one mistake lead to more. He seems to overcome errors well. As the game progressed his confidence grew and so did his sync and read speed. He's growing, quickly. Really, Really quickly. It fun and amazing to watch. His long ball... is SPECIAL! 

5) I was as stressed as anyone else. Mainly, gap misses, back tackling on d and dropped balls, penalties and rhythm in general on O.  I'm absolutely certain part of that is due to recent history under other coaching regimes. For me at least. I suspect the same for others, cause old scars are soft spots, but that's just my spit ball.

6) Effort/intensity It really felt like MSU came out ready to play and wanting it way more than Texas. Again, that's a previous regime scar, and probably exacerbated the flinch response by me and other Longhorns.

7) ousux... I'm ready, I'm pretty confident the team will be. I love having a week off. I hope our players and coaches really amp up and come out ready to go full Mike Tyson on those punk ass bitches in Dallas.

Let's. FUCKING. GO!!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

I rewatched the defensive plays only, and mostly had the same take away for the LBs. Sometimes they would shoot the gap perfectly for a TFL, other times they would hit the wrong gap or just crash into the line.  

I think this tells the story pretty well:

IMG_1475.jpeg

I'm going to blame it on a hard game to get up for until I see otherwise in Dallas. 

We played like dogshit and still creamed those fools by 3 TDs in conference play and held them under 2 scores.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm going to blame it on a hard game to get up for until I see otherwise in Dallas. 

We played like dogshit and still creamed those fools by 3 TDs in conference play and held them under 2 scores.

Offensively, the 2 fumbles and the dropped would be TD largely impact the offensive production.  Some borderline holding calls impacted other drives.  The fumbles were on one guy and one guy only.  The drop was from a guy with limited targets thus far.  The Helm hold turned a 1st and goal from inside the 10 to a 3rd and 17.  It’s not like we had wholesale issues.

Defensively, MSU had a new QB  and their coach and players are still learning each other.  Their first two games they had roughly 20 run attempts each and about 50 the past two.  They may have already changed their offensive identity.

We won pretty convincingly so not sure it tells us a great deal.  We know we’re good.  We know we can play better.  You won’t always play your best.  Just play your best when you need it most.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Offensively, the 2 fumbles and the dropped would be TD largely impact the offensive production.  Some borderline holding calls impacted other drives.  The fumbles were on one guy and one guy only.  The drop was from a guy with limited targets thus far.  The Helm hold turned a 1st and goal from inside the 10 to a 3rd and 17.  It’s not like we had wholesale issues.

Defensively, MSU had a new QB  and their coach and players are still learning each other.  Their first two games they had roughly 20 run attempts each and about 50 the past two.  They may have already changed their offensive identity.

We won pretty convincingly so not sure it tells us a great deal.  We know we’re good.  We know we can play better.  You won’t always play your best.  Just play your best when you need it most.

The Helm hold was a bullshit call. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

well, it's better than this....

• 1st & Goal at OU 1

(13:26 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for no gain to the OU 1
  • 2nd & Goal at OU 1

(12:48 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for no gain to the OU 1
  • 3rd & Goal at OU 1

(12:05 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for a loss of 1 yard to the OU 2
  • 4th & Goal at OU 2

(11:30 - 4th) Quinn Ewers pass complete to Xavier Worthy for 1 yd to the OU 1

Yeah that series was so fucking insane and proof that Sark still has proclivity for going full retard.

12 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah that series was so fucking insane and proof that Sark still has proclivity for going full retard.

Dude this is crazy. I actually just emailed with Jay Hartzell and he was like "yeah, no, if @Pimphand has a better read on play-calling then I think he needs the job"

and, I mean, to cut to the chase he's offering you $200M to coach the team for 5 years. 

His only request is that you change your stupid fucking avatar picture. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude this is crazy. I actually just emailed with Jay Hartzell and he was like "yeah, no, if @Pimphand has a better read on play-calling then I think he needs the job"

and, I mean, to cut to the chase he's offering you $200M to coach the team for 5 years. 

Poor little angry scrub just got home from the bars haha.

On 9/29/2024 at 1:58 PM, BurntEyes said:

1) I know you missed it but the post was specifically talking about Sarks choices to take points off the board.

2) Please tell me the EXACT words you would use to describe Arch's pass on 4th and 4 immediately after we took point off the board. 

Note, you may not use "A TAD OFF" nor any facsimile of that specific language I chose to use in my post.

I'll hang up and listen.

I read your post, which is why I quoted his response and wrote mine. 

Your main point was a frustration with Sark taking points off the board, and in an attempt to further justify your point that it was idiotic you listed some evidence---some of which was clearly not true, and not just in a high school english class way of dissecting your chosen adjectives. 

Instead of just saying it was a weird game where we had already cost ourselves sure points, and wanted to make it a two score game, which would be a completely reasonable point, and wouldn't have elicited a single response from anyone. 

Imagine telling Sark who was watching Arch's best game to date, "Hey, you shouldn't go for it here because Arch won't be able to deliver." 

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Watch out for those solar flares. Our coordinator will be in his bunker during them. 

7 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

I read your post, which is why I quoted his response and wrote mine. 

Your main point was a frustration with Sark taking points off the board, and in an attempt to further justify your point that it was idiotic you listed some evidence---some of which was clearly not true, and not just in a high school english class way of dissecting your chosen adjectives. 

Instead of just saying it was a weird game where we had already cost ourselves sure points, and wanted to make it a two score game, which would be a completely reasonable point, and wouldn't have elicited a single response from anyone. 

Imagine telling Sark who was watching Arch's best game to date, "Hey, you shouldn't go for it here because Arch won't be able to deliver." 

Despite all your superfluous words in this message you never answered my question. Though you did manage to pull grammar smack, and strawman so excellent work. In all, you seem to agree to the rest of my post but took specific issue with a single sentence about the quarter back's performance to that point. 

Special work there amigo.

Edited by BurntEyes

10 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

I’m not going to get into any game analysis.  Just want to pimp Moore’s TD dance with the hurt leg.      That shit was  legit.  

It was great but not quite Jets hittin the griddy great. Need to amp it up in Dallas

6 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Yeah, I don't have an issue with going for it in general. I think where Sark got a bit lost is that normally when you're choosing to go for it (and what the analytics are based on), you don't know for sure you'll make the FG. So you're comparing the expected points of going for it with the expected points of kicking the FG. Generally, the expected points from kicking a 49 FG are significantly less than 3 because you could miss it, get blocked, etc. The calculus changes quite a bit (or should) when you know you'll get the 3 points. 

52 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Despite all your superfluous words in this message you never answered my question. Though you did manage to pull grammar smack, and strawman so excellent work. In all, you seem to agree to the rest of my post but took specific issue with a single sentence about the quarter back's performance to that point. 

Special work there amigo.

The specific play call, and the pass itself were both trash. Is that a good enough answer? 

Not sure you would find anyone to defend either one of those. 

And yet, neither of those has anything to do with you getting upset about numerous people calling out your reasoning/evidence.

I think everyone is in agreement that in this game, in that specific situation, we were fine with taking the points that were already on the board.

Edited by TheYoungHorn
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I don't have an issue with going for it in general. I think where Sark got a bit lost is that normally when you're choosing to go for it (and what the analytics are based on), you don't know for sure you'll make the FG. So you're comparing the expected points of going for it with the expected points of kicking the FG. Generally, the expected points from kicking a 49 FG are significantly less than 3 because you could miss it, get blocked, etc. The calculus changes quite a bit (or should) when you know you'll get the 3 points. 

It's a completely different equation from choosing to go for it vs choosing to take known point off the board and go for it. It a tight game, where those points can extend you out past 2 scores, the math says keep the points. Regardless of how the team is performing offensively.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

The Helm hold was a bullshit call. 

Yeah just went back and took a look at those drive killers (holds). Helm's was pretty BS, a couple other holds were maybe borderline but I can see how you call them. I certainly thought they were all BS in the heat of the moment. Problem for us was they were almost all on big plays.

Looking back through the drives, we only really had one real 'failed' drive, that was in the second quarter. All the other non-TD drives were behind the chains from holding calls or fumbles. The rest were TDs. But I guess that's what you get playing a generally successful ball control scheme-fewer bites at the apple

I’m totally expecting miss st. to go into the shitter and never score another point. Cock gobbler lebby played his Super Bowl against big meanie Texas. My FIL is innocent. It’s Texas fault. Fucking enabling pieces of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

From my seat, it looked as though it was legit.  Maybe he blocked the guy too hard.  In any event that was the play that killed that drive.

He had his hands on the edges of the defender’s shoulder pads. It was as minor a hold as you will see called. Certainly nowhere near what they were getting away with. 

On 9/30/2024 at 11:35 PM, Had Enough said:

Late post - But wanted to get this in before OU week begins .My Longhorns wife and I were on a cruise ship in the Atlantic or we would have been at the game (damn ship couldn't play the game either due to contracts).  Hope to make it down for a game of some sort soon..or see some of you fuckers on Friday night as usual.

First off - Congrats on the win . As noted ,MSU is not that good this year (fine...most years ) unfortunately Leach wasn't not a great recruiter and our OL (6 sacks ..) and Defense especially are lacking .

MVB got thrown into his first start since Shapen got hurt and is out for the year .

I was impressed with his play against a quality defense . The offense did truly meld and develop just enough . Neither of our running backs are great ..(we lost our  great back to southern cal). As expected , the Horns pulled away in the 2nd half . But not as much as I expected. 

Now the truth, Arch is damn good . If he does go back to the bench as expected , what a weapon you have standing by for next year ...or on standby if needed.

In closing, State might be lucky to win 5 games this year now . And I get the hate for Lebby, but he is a hell of a coach..and THAT guy isn't around the program. 

Alright , I'll close this in saying Fuck OU . 

And I'll be cheering along forever for the rest of the year now . Will be interesting to see how things shake out after today .

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Late post - But wanted to get this in before OU week begins .My Longhorns wife and I were on a cruise ship in the Atlantic or we would have been at the game (damn ship couldn't play the game either due to contracts).  Hope to make it down for a game of some sort soon..or see some of you fuckers on Friday night as usual.

First off - Congrats on the win . As noted ,MSU is not that good this year (fine...most years ) unfortunately Leach wasn't not a great recruiter and our OL (6 sacks ..) and Defense especially are lacking .

MVB got thrown into his first start since Shapen got hurt and is out for the year .

I was impressed with his play against a quality defense . The offense did truly meld and develop just enough . Neither of our running backs are great ..(we lost our  great back to southern cal). As expected , the Horns pulled away in the 2nd half . But not as much as I expected. 

Now the truth, Arch is damn good . If he does go back to the bench as expected , what a weapon you have standing by for next year ...or on standby if needed.

In closing, State might be lucky to win 5 games this year now . And I get the hate for Lebby, but he is a hell of a coach..and THAT guy isn't around the program. 

Alright , I'll close this in saying Fuck OU . 

And I'll be cheering along forever for the rest of the year now . Will be interesting to see how things shake out after today .

MSU played hard.  You all had me wanting to throw my IPad a couple of times.  The switch at QB I think threw our defense off a tad and the ball control strategy did as well.   Our offense wasn’t on the field that much in the first half in part due to ball control and a turnover which gave you all a bonus possession which was on a drive we are on pace to score.  Good luck the rest of the way out and if Vandy can pull an upset, your day will come.   Beat Ole Piss!  

• Hook 'Em 1