The Veep Debate - Walz v. Vance, 9pm EST Tuesday, Oct 1st

Bullneck

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, Walz allegedly told Kamala Harris during her vetting process that he is a bad debater.  I don't know that more rehearsal would have helped.  It's entirely possible that his nerves led him off their strategic path.

It was not a surprise. He’s not an Ivy League law school smooth talker. He’s a folksy midwestern who went to state schools.

He did well. He was never going to out polish Vance. The most important takeaway from the CNN post-debate survey is he was relatable and not out of touch with common issues. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 9

I'm re-watching, and there's a lot of ammo here for painting Vance as insincere, disingenuous, and elitist. He denied the pregnancy registry that's part of Project 2025, the people for whom he's writing forewords

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Vance has Peter Thiel money behind him, something that Cruz, etc. can’t even begin to touch.  It won’t get him the White House, but he can do some damage in 2028,

He’s the tech bro Manchurian candidate.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Paul Ryan had to retire from politics, Tim Kaine is out as well, Sarah Palin became a meme and had her life fucked. Pence nearly was murdered and then jettisoned. 

VPs who lost had their careers effectively ruined. That's likely what's going to happen to Vance. He will never get the loser stink off of himself because he shit down his leg repeatedly. 

I agree that VP candidates don't really move the needle much on votes for. But Vance might be the most consequential VP pick for votes against.

He has the worst favorability rating of anyone on a modern Presidential ticket. He's somehow more repugnant to women than Trump because Trump is just the old lech Granduncle. Younger women deal with assholes like Vance on the regular and probably perceive him to be more dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

CNN surprisingly went in on Vance's personality shift into this wannabe moderate politician. Bro is playing hard to be the 2028 guy, like he knows the internals are bad bad.

That's the impression I got as well, JD is smart enough to read which way the wind is blowing.  I think he's more concerned about an political future he may have than running as dotard's VP.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I was a little irritated at the "normalizing" that went on last night, and some of the talking heads on my tv post-debate said that team Harris was trying to appeal to a very, very specific group of voters. Who don't want to see Walz up there throwing haymakers at Vance and calling him weird, etc. Makes sense I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

It’s basically Photoshop tricks to make the subject appear more attractive (like JV with a jawline). I don’t know what Collins is getting at other than trolling.

The opposite:

Hide contents

That’s just Charlie Kirk w a beard

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I thought this was an interesting perspective. 

Yep. I had the same thoughts last night. As a litigator, I would have made Vance choke on his words… and possibly made him look sympathetic in the process. Walz responded with affirmative statements of his own positions and policies, delivered like a regular Joe just trying to do the right thing. My sense is that will resonate better with the people that matter.

Walz seemed rough around the edges, but genuine. Vance came across as a garden variety slick, lying politician.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Megyn really hates it when you fact check the lies of her side. I love how angry she is now. She reverted back to her true form. Amusing given she used to be scared that MAGA was going to kill her. Now she's a bootlicker just like the rest of the pod people. 

How Dare You Greta GIF

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

And what's this grievance about? God damn it's hard to keep them all straight.

They dared to mute Vance when he tried to expound on his lie that the Haitians in Springfield are illegals.

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I was a little irritated at the "normalizing" that went on last night, and some of the talking heads on my tv post-debate said that team Harris was trying to appeal to a very, very specific group of voters. Who don't want to see Walz up there throwing haymakers at Vance and calling him weird, etc. Makes sense I guess. 

I don't know. If the other side knows what you're going to say, they can prepare devastating comebacks for things other than policy and facts. I think Vance tossed out the word "weird" hoping to evoke it from Walz.

Reagan used, "There you go again," twice. The first time against Carter, it scored big points even though I don't know why.

The second time Reagan used it, he was debating Mondale. Mondale was ready. He turned to look directly at Reagan and asked, "Do you remember when you said that before?" Reagan couldn't break eye contact as Mondale recalled the issue from the first time and pointed out how Reagan had failed in whatever regard it was related to. It was electrifying. I don't recall if this is the debate that had people doubting Reagan's mental soundness, but it likely was.

An amusing epilogue, the media harped about Reagan's possible mental decline. All the questions were focused on how he would perform in the second debate. Reagan had a joke prepared. "People are talking about age and holding the office of president. I just want to say that I will not hold my opponent's youth and inexperience against him."

The audience went nuts over this canned line. Reagan didn't look any more acute than he did in the first debate other than he'd memorized more lines. Afterwards, the media were all  chirping about how Reagan had proven his critics wrong. Charles Krauthammer (what a name! what a dark eminence!), before he went totally right, was asked what he thought of Reagan's performance.

"Well, I suppose, in purely neurological terms it was a success." 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wait, really? he tried to repeat that bullshit? I missed that in the all hubbub

Oh yes. He was talking about how “they” (Harris) used some lawyer trick to turn illegals into legal immigrants, just blathering on after his time was up. They talked over him and finally when he wouldn’t shut up, they muted him.

Edited by Sawbonz
Talk to text errors
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Oh yes. He was talking about how “they” (Harris) used some lawyer trick to turn illegals and illegals, just blathering on after his time was up. They talked over him and finally when he wouldn’t shut up, they muted him.

Yeah. The moderator said “thanks for explaining the legal process, JD”. Twice. Then he got the mute button.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Listen. It's pretty obvious that something horrible has happened to this woman and she's fucking damaged. And I don't mean the part where MAGA threatened to kill her. And I don't even mean her fucking Roger Aisles to get and keep her job, which explains her weird projection with Kamala Harris. And I don't have any idea what this damage was, was it in her youth, her adolescence, young adulthood? I don't know. But what I do know is something particuarly fucking dark had to happen to explain this shit:

Happily married to Doug, crazy in love with my children Yates, Yardley, and Thatcher, journalist.

I mean she was human trafficked to a bunch of centaurs from Narnia who wore her out all day every day for years kind of dark. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen. It's pretty obvious that something horrible has happened to this woman and she's fucking damaged. And I don't mean the part where MAGA threatened to kill her. And I don't even mean her fucking Roger Aisles to get and keep her job, which explains her weird projection with Kamala Harris. And I don't have any idea what this damage was, was it in her youth, her adolescence, young adulthood? I don't know. But what I do know is something particuarly fucking dark had to happen to explain this shit:

I mean she was human trafficked to a bunch of centaurs from Narnia who wore her out all day every day for years kind of dark. 

Her kids were all conceived via IVF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

38 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yep. I had the same thoughts last night. As a litigator, I would have made Vance choke on his words… and possibly made him look sympathetic in the process. Walz responded with affirmative statements of his own positions and policies, delivered like a regular Joe just trying to do the right thing. My sense is that will resonate better with the people that matter.

Walz seemed rough around the edges, but genuine. Vance came across as a garden variety slick, lying politician.

A lot of the people who are paying attention and have been paying attention for months, we aren't the audience for this. We've grown accustomed to the clapbacks, epic takedowns, and general theatrics. We winced at several missed opportunities to rip Vance's head off and shit down his neck, but that's because we know how much of a danger and liar Vance is.

The people who were just barely getting to know these candidates aren't looking for the things we're looking for. I think that's why Walz's results are exceeding what we thought they'd be.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

A lot of the people who are paying attention and have been paying attention for months, we aren't the audience for this. We've grown accustomed to the clapbacks, epic takedowns, and general theatrics. We winced at several missed opportunities to rip Vance's head off and shit down his neck, but that's because we know how much of a danger and liar Vance is.

The people who were just barely getting to know these candidates aren't looking for the things we're looking for. I think that's why Walz's results are exceeding what we thought they'd be.

I think even the less plugged-in among us can look at the two candidates and say, "If something were to happen to the President, would this person do a good job?" That's about as far as the analysis goes. I think a lot of people who were undecided (whoever the hell that is at this point) can easily make a choice on that criterion alone. 

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Vance’s oh shit moment when he got asked about who won the 2020 election wasn’t because he felt bad about being evasive, it was because he knew Trump wanted a full throated defense of his false claims

• Hook 'Em 2