The Veep Debate - Walz v. Vance, 9pm EST Tuesday, Oct 1st

Bullneck

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Love Walz, but this is a time when I wish the pick had been Pete. What an absolute bloodbath that would be.

Walz is no slouch, but I'm assuming Pete has offered some killer one liners that could be of use. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, bolverk said:

In the 2022 debate with Mr. Ryan, Mr. Vance illustrated the technique by trying to boomerang an attack from Mr. Ryan back at him.

Mr. Ryan accused Mr. Vance of peddling the “great replacement theory,” the belief that Western elites want to “replace” and marginalize white Americans.

As Mr. Ryan spoke, Mr. Vance — whose wife, Usha Chilukuri, is the daughter of Indian immigrants — swayed behind a lectern awaiting his turn to speak. He fidgeted, moving his hands from the sides of the lectern before folding them in front of him.

Finally, he had enough.

“So,” Mr. Vance said, holding up his hand as if trying to stop Mr. Ryan.

“Hold on, JD, stop interrupting,” Mr. Ryan said.

“No, this is disgusting,” Mr. Vance shot back. “Because here’s exactly what happens when the media and people like Tim Ryan accuse me of engaging in the great replacement theory.

“I’ll tell you exactly what happens, Tim,” he continued. “What happens is that my own children — my biracial children — get attacked by scumbags online and in person because you are so desperate for political power that you’ll accuse me, the father of three beautiful biracial babies, of engaging in racism. We are sick of it.”

I would love to see Walz re-hash this in the hopes of baiting Vance into giving this same response about his "beautiful biracial babies" and then use as a segue into making the point that he does things like this (and he absolutely HAS peddled great replacement theory) because he doesn't give a shit about hurting people along the way - not his family, not hardworking Haitians, nobody - as long as it gives him the shot at political power.  And that's even worse than being fucking weird - which he clearly is.   

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Walz is no slouch, but I'm assuming Pete has offered some killer one liners that could be of use. 

I don’t know man, JD’s probably ready to break the glass on the “Jerk store” comeback if he needs to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I'm prepping Walz the last thing I would want to do is have him overthink this. Stick to talking points (abortion, tax credits, drug prices), take the openings Vance gives you, and just be your natural, likeable self. The rest will work itself out.

• Hook 'Em 7

I was just trying to think if I remember much of anything substantive from the last few VP debates:

2020 - "I'm speaking" and the fly on Pence's head
2016 - ..... nothing at all 
2012 - "That's a bunch of malarkey!" 
2008 - Palin wink and lipstick on a pig

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was just trying to think if I remember much of anything substantive from the last few VP debates:

2020 - "I'm speaking" and the fly on Pence's head
2016 - ..... nothing at all 
2012 - "That's a bunch of malarkey!" 
2008 - Palin wink and lipstick on a pig

Tim Kaine in the membrane

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

No one gives a shit about this VP debate.

That's the scary part. No Americans care.

Nope. Even though one is a psycho and there’s a decent chance he’ll be president in the next 2 years. 

Posted (edited)

Watching some Walz debate highlights from the past on MSNBC.  He can get plenty prickly when he wants to.

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

It’s gonna be lit. 

Well, if you asked me, that cameraman didn't handle that very well at all.  Terrible angle.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can you explain it differently so it makes sense to someone not 5?

It kind of loses the zing when it has to be explained. I still don’t get it.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

I have no idea but all I can think of is he “traded in” serving for public office to stay on the public dole. Or something?

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Love Walz, but this is a time when I wish the pick had been Pete. What an absolute bloodbath that would be.

Nah, there will be no asskicking no matter who the Dem up there is because Vance won't get rattled like Trump did.  He'll just spew his lies and bullshit over and over and over.  And then he'll do it some more.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

If I'm prepping Walz the last thing I would want to do is have him overthink this. Stick to talking points (abortion, tax credits, drug prices), take the openings Vance gives you, and just be your natural, likeable self. The rest will work itself out.

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yea there's no sense getting into the muck with Vance. Just stay positive and don't take Vance's bait.

Vance is going to be asked about the Haitian stuff and he's going to double down on the racism, I have no doubt about it, because he doesn't see it as racism.

There's nothing in his various speeches/appearances that Vance will parrot tonight that will make Harris-supporters undecided people tonight go "oh, I really like him".

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It’s the lie that he abandoned his unit.

I've had to tell a lot of people that the National Guard is not something where you can just give your two weeks notice and collect your stuff in a box and leave at the end of two weeks, and that in his position, there were a lot of people above him that had to sign off on it.  He also had to meet the requirements to retire.

If he put his paperwork in just a few weeks before it was known his unit was shipping out, he's going with them (it happened to several friends of mine), but in his case, he put in his paperwork well in advance (and back when he got out, it wasn't like the system now where dates are pinned down better).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

So apparently Vance is going to call Walz “Trader Tim”. Because he served for 24 years and retired to run for office. “Trader”.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can you explain it differently so it makes sense to someone not 5?

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I’m guessing they went with this because it sounds like “Traitor.” They think they’ll be able to call him Traitor Tim all night. 

it’s going to go over real well when he has to explain it. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Spotted on the way home today IMG_5938.thumb.png.ca140c6e53786fbe7b35f90d3223e938.png

It’s odd to me no matter who’s name is on the flags. 

Also nice job getting the crest in the shot.   But I guess they don’t believe in reducing fractions. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, royiv said:

@PenelopeWitherspoon Is this what enlightened New Yorkers sound like? Gotta admit, I’ve never seen this kind of behavior in Houston.

Those are the nuts that were at the Trump trial every day.

And if you have never seen nudity in Houston, well, you didn’t spend a lot of time in Montrose. Remember, I lived in Houston for years, from 2009 to 2019.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
Autocorrect sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m guessing they went with this because it sounds like “Traitor.” They think they’ll be able to call him Traitor Tim all night. 

it’s going to go over real well when he has to explain it. 

They may or may not, but the initial misspelling I'm blaming on autocorrect. 

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Those are the nuts that were at the Trump trial every day.

And if you have never seen nudity in Houston, well, you didn’t spend a lot of time in Montgomery. Remember, I lived in Houston for years, from 2009 to 2019.

I know you did. I live in Montrose so I’ve seen plenty, but I’ve never seen a belligerent Trumper harassing people.  I guess she’s just one of those New Yorkers that’s on a higher plane than the rest of us in Texas. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

They just played the Bentsen - Quayle debate in the entirety of the "Jack Kennedy" scene.  Call the police, I just witnessed a murder.

And Quayle is the guy who told Pence he had no option but to certify the election. 

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

So apparently Vance is going to call Walz “Trader Tim”. Because he served for 24 years and retired to run for office. “Trader”.

Yeah they had work shopped this line months ago for Trump to use against "Trader Joe" for his love of China or whatever, but I guess they ran out of ideas and are recycling it for this debate.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Really don’t think I can watch this one. I’ll just read this game thread.

Same here. I’ll read this and surf Twitter for clips. Vance is gonna lie and be weird and make this uncomfortable. 

• Hook 'Em 2