NBA 2024-25 Season Thread

Fastbreak

On 9/30/2024 at 5:21 AM, Fastbreak said:

The season is almost here!

My totally scientific season W/L predictions:

image.png.6f50b5c50e0e65b9ee265495aa100136.png

TL:DR  The West is stacked and some good team(s) are going to get fucked.

Records in the east are going to be inflated at the top and in the middle of the conference because there are going to be so many tankers - Charlotte, Detroit, Washington, Brooklyn are going to be shamelessly racking up Ls.

I'm keeping an eye on Chicago - word is that Lonzo Ball is going to be ready to go opening night. It would be the most Bulls thing ever to finally embrace the tank, then get a healthy Lavine and Ball for once and end up playing their way out of the lottery.

I'm still processing the KAT trade and what it means for both teams. While I always thought he was braindead, I think the Knicks won the trade - you don't often get a 4 time, 28 year old all star for a one year rental on an injury prone black hole, a heavily protected 1st, and a solid but not spectacular perimeter role player. They essentially gave up nothing but cap flexibility for him. The Wolves had to do something because of their own cap problems, but that's not much of a return considering what they gave up for Gobert. I wonder how their offensive spacing works without Towns, especially when you don't have to guard Gobert outside of 4 feet.

The west is going to be a slog. Nobody is outright tanking except for Portland. And maybe Utah. That will change with injuries, but most of the teams look to be going for it.

It's bad enough that OKC is completely loaded, but those assholes are a Kawhi injury away from buying another lottery ticket in a loaded draft. I still don't like their ISO heavy offense, but they are going to be an absolute motherfucker on defense. They were soft in the middle last year and Giddey got played off the floor in the playoffs, but they fixed all of that this offseason. 

I like Memphis to be in the top tier of the west. I think people are sleeping on how good they were before Morant spun out. I also like New Orleans, but I like them every year. They had a great off season but as always are Zion health dependent.

Denver has got to take a step back, right? Jokic needs more help.

The Mavs will go as Kyrie goes. I don't trust his injury history or him in general but so far so good in Dallas with him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If the Clips start like 2-8 before Kawhi is ready to come back I can’t imagine him giving full effort. Already there is little chance for him to play back to backs. Thats why I am so low on them.

I can easily see a bottom feeding team.

Records in the east are going to be inflated at the top and in the middle of the conference because there are going to be so many tankers - Charlotte, Detroit, Washington, Brooklyn are going to be shamelessly racking up Ls.
I'm keeping an eye on Chicago - word is that Lonzo Ball is going to be ready to go opening night. It would be the most Bulls thing ever to finally embrace the tank, then get a healthy Lavine and Ball for once and end up playing their way out of the lottery.
I'm still processing the KAT trade and what it means for both teams. While I always thought he was braindead, I think the Knicks won the trade - you don't often get a 4 time, 28 year old all star for a one year rental on an injury prone black hole, a heavily protected 1st, and a solid but not spectacular perimeter role player. They essentially gave up nothing but cap flexibility for him. The Wolves had to do something because of their own cap problems, but that's not much of a return considering what they gave up for Gobert. I wonder how their offensive spacing works without Towns, especially when you don't have to guard Gobert outside of 4 feet.
The west is going to be a slog. Nobody is outright tanking except for Portland. And maybe Utah. That will change with injuries, but most of the teams look to be going for it.
It's bad enough that OKC is completely loaded, but those assholes are a Kawhi injury away from buying another lottery ticket in a loaded draft. I still don't like their ISO heavy offense, but they are going to be an absolute motherfucker on defense. They were soft in the middle last year and Giddey got played off the floor in the playoffs, but they fixed all of that this offseason. 
I like Memphis to be in the top tier of the west. I think people are sleeping on how good they were before Morant spun out. I also like New Orleans, but I like them every year. They had a great off season but as always are Zion health dependent.
Denver has got to take a step back, right? Jokic needs more help.
The Mavs will go as Kyrie goes. I don't trust his injury history or him in general but so far so good in Dallas with him.

Donte hit 283 3s at 40% last year. That’s more than solid perimeter player lol.

Joins a bench of Dillingham/NAW and 6MOY Naz Reid, and only lost Kyle Anderson? I don’t think randles in kats tier of talent. I also don’t think he’s as bad as people are saying but I’ve seen some seriously bad randle playoff games- 2023 vs Atlanta. Suppose we have the luxury to sub that BS out for Naz while the Knicks couldn’t because taj Gibson

54 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Donte hit 283 3s at 40% last year. That’s more than solid perimeter player lol.

Joins a bench of Dillingham/NAW and 6MOY Naz Reid, and only lost Kyle Anderson? I don’t think randles in kats tier of talent. I also don’t think he’s as bad as people are saying but I’ve seen some seriously bad randle playoff games- 2023 vs Atlanta. Suppose we have the luxury to sub that BS out for Naz while the Knicks couldn’t because taj Gibson

Oh, I like Divincenzo quite a bit. He's a really good rotational piece. He can obviously shoot the shit out of the ball, can run some point, has championship experience, and is on a bargain deal for the next three years. Any team in the league would love to have him on their roster. But you essentially traded KAT for him plus Randle, who is one of the more overrated guys in the league IMO. He wasn't in the Knicks plans going forward. I also didn't realize that he had a $31 million option for another year, that he will almost certainly pick up. 

It should be interesting to see how the pieces fit. I wonder how many non-shooters you can put on the floor around Edwards and still give him room to operate. There will be some offense/defense trade-offs I imagine.

I also love me some Naz Reid. I want to see what he looks like playing starter minutes in a contract year.

The Lakers will go as far as Bronny will take them. The franchise is now on his shoulders since we’re paying him to be part of this.

I can probably throw a rock further than the distance they go with him, but man it will be a fun train wreck to watch. Father and son taking an iconic franchise over a cliff will be scintillating to witness.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2024 at 2:46 PM, Mittens said:

Celtics won the softest title in a decade and are predictably talking a bunch of shit. 

Your "best player" couldn't even get on the floor in Paris. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Oh, I like Divincenzo quite a bit. He's a really good rotational piece. He can obviously shoot the shit out of the ball, can run some point, has championship experience, and is on a bargain deal for the next three years. Any team in the league would love to have him on their roster. But you essentially traded KAT for him plus Randle, who is one of the more overrated guys in the league IMO. He wasn't in the Knicks plans going forward. I also didn't realize that he had a $31 million option for another year, that he will almost certainly pick up. 

It should be interesting to see how the pieces fit. I wonder how many non-shooters you can put on the floor around Edwards and still give him room to operate. There will be some offense/defense trade-offs I imagine.

I also love me some Naz Reid. I want to see what he looks like playing starter minutes in a contract year.

I agree with MN. "Solid but not spectacular" is underselling DD. He's somewhere between those two adjs. 

Now - maybe he thrived in that system with the other Nova grads in a way that he might not in Minny. 

I don't know who won the trade. I think it's 50/50 enough where it will take some time to tell. 

Edited by ztejas

43 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I still can't believe that the Warriors couldn't find a way to make Divincenzo serviceable.  He shot 40% from 3 for them, but they never got him shots.

The Warriors FO has been a mess basically since KD left. It's becoming more and more impressive that they won that 2022 title. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Talk about negotiating from a position of strength.

"You're really going to make Brian Windhorst the face of breaking NBA news, huh? Good luck with that."

Does Windy even want that job? Seems like it would cut into his feeding schedule.

Edited by Pam Cummings

12 hours ago, Derka said:

example no. 6,347 why lebron will never, ever be the goat. just imagine michael crying about some shit like that. that’s crazy. 

How MJ would handle a preseason trip to Milwaukee.

Screenshot_20241010_120521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c8518cc397d92bc4ceefa877f1a45638.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DD is fucking awesome. are we sure KAT was the best player in that deal? lulz 

DD was chirping at the Knicks bench while at the foul line about "this is what happens when you run the show" probably directed towards Thibs. Rick Brunson has followed Thibs every step of the way so he's a minion of thibs. hilarious. The first regular season game between these 2 is going to be electric 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Where is the cutoff for that? He hit 283 3s in the regular season and gave them 18 ppg in the playoffs.

Maybe an All-Star appearance or two? For a player on his 5th team in 7 seasons, seems weird to not realize that he's a cog, not a gear.

It would be one thing if the Knicks gave him up for scraps. But, for all my MANY issues with KAT and his contract, he's a 4x All-Star with career 23/11 averages and a higher 3PT% than DD, and he's only a year older than him.

No real issue with it--I like the fire--but whether he is or isn't on the Knicks makes virtually zero difference to their title aspirations. Maybe they'll regret trading for KAT one day (probably sooner rather than later), but losing DD because of it will be down the list of reasons.