NBA 2024-25 Season Thread

Fastbreak

The Rockets signed Green and Sengun to pretty reasonable deals yesterday. I wasn't a fan of the Brooks signing, but their front office seems to be doing a lot of things right these days.  I thought they might go the route of waiting until the offseason to give them max cap flexibility. Bird in hand, I suppose. Plus the free agent crop isn't anything to get excited about.
The Nuggets also extended Aaron Gordon and he did them a solid by opting in for one more year. It gives them some flexibility in the short term but they are committed to their core four now for the foreseeable future. If they can get anything from the rest of their team, I kinda like them coming out of the west. Nobody is picking them and they still have the best player in the world. I feel like they were a bizzarro fourth quarter collapse against Minnesota from winning the west last year.
Looking forward to the season kicking off. Everybody is jocking OKC and Boston, but there is so much parity around the league. I think there's going to be some wacky shit happen this year.

Denver’s downfall will be lack of bigs. Saric isn’t a formidable backup to joker for 82 games. I think westbrook is past his prime, their 3 young guys in Braun, Strawther and Watson are going to need to take pretty substantial leaps before I believe they can contend..

Also who the fuck knows what’s up with fatty Murray. An absolute no show in the Olympics and his pre season wasn’t special besides one game vs Minnesotas 2nd and 3rd stringers. I read he gets going in about January but who knows. Got that bag and a ring, how motivated can he be
  • Hook 'Em 1

Denver’s downfall will be lack of bigs. Saric isn’t a formidable backup to joker for 82 games. I think westbrook is past his prime, their 3 young guys in Braun, Strawther and Watson are going to need to take pretty substantial leaps before I believe they can contend..

Also who the fuck knows what’s up with fatty Murray. An absolute no show in the Olympics and his pre season wasn’t special besides one game vs Minnesotas 2nd and 3rd stringers. I read he gets going in about January but who knows. Got that bag and a ring, how motivated can he be
Nobody has the twin towers anymore. Lack of bigs was only an issue against Minny.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Nuggets also extended Aaron Gordon and he did them a solid by opting in for one more year. It gives them some flexibility in the short term but they are committed to their core four now for the foreseeable future. If they can get anything from the rest of their team, I kinda like them coming out of the west. Nobody is picking them and they still have the best player in the world. I feel like they were a bizzarro fourth quarter collapse against Minnesota from winning the west last year.

There are a lot of question marks with their depth and their bench. Also have to see what version of Murray they get. 

But yeah - they still have the same core around Jokic and are well-coached. They'll win 50 games.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah this is the other side of the coin lol.

Nobody has the twin towers anymore. Lack of bigs was only an issue against Minny.

IHart/Chet/Jwill seem formidable

Gafford/Lively

Rudy/Randle/Naz Reid, sprinkles of Garza

Edey/JJJ/Clarke

Yes jokers the best in the world, but losing Holmes seemed like a bigger blow than is being led upon. Unless DJ can spare some minutes

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

IHart/Chet/Jwill seem formidable

Gafford/Lively

Rudy/Randle/Naz Reid, sprinkles of Garza

Edey/JJJ/Clarke

Yes jokers the best in the world, but losing Holmes seemed like a bigger blow than is being led upon. Unless DJ can spare some minutes

Losing Holmes hurt for sure, but the KAT/Rudy combo was the only one that ever seemed to bother Jok.  Minnesota was built to beat Denver.  And now that KAT is gone, I don't see anyone else with 2 bigs that can do what they could.  Gotta be big enough to not get immediately backed down if you're on him and athletic enough to rotate over to disrupt the shot if you're helping (all while not giving up easy dunks to Gordon).  Not many big duos can do that.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Losing Holmes hurt for sure, but the KAT/Rudy combo was the only one that ever seemed to bother Jok. 

Denver has only played Dallas once after the Gafford trade and it was a loss. Last year before the WCF I thought Dallas matched up better against Denver than Minnesota.  

C's picking up where they left off...unbeatable when the 3's are falling which they are. Tatum may have a bone to pick this year with the finals mvp and Olympics 

Mikal Bridges shot looks like absolute ass. why the hell did he tinker with it? He looks like chuck hayes 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And thats why the Celts shoot so many threes. The pro game is certainly higher scoring these days, but somehow less entertaining when they just jack up threes all game long. 

What’s not to love about 4 guys standing at the 3 point line watching a teammate dribble?

Widen the court, move the 3 point line back and untie the defense’s hands 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Not a great opener by the Wolves. They are missing KAT.

LOL. randle was ok for his first meaningful minutes in 10 months, and DD started cold. Mike Conley a casual 1-7, 2 assists, 3 TOs and -22 

I dont know what happened in the first 6 min of the 2nd qtr as i was putting my kids to sleep, left to go do that +1 at the end of 1 and suddenly its down 19 when i got done. 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Before the Timberwolves game, Redick said he was "thrilled to be a part" of the "historic" occasion of LeBron and Bronny entering the season on the same team. Redick said he consulted the father and son to get their input on how they would prefer their first game action together to play out.

"We had a couple conversations around it," Redick said. "I think everybody is on the same page. We want it to sort of make sense, and we want it to happen naturally and in the flow of a game."

18 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Lol. Boston has missed 13 3s in a row with the game record on the line

6 hours ago, Mittens said:

The ending of that Boston opener was unintentionally hilarious. Despite the large margin, watching the Celts brick trey after trey had me rolling. Kinda wanted to see them make history but not enough to care or do anything but laugh.

And Dalton Knecht is going to make my Spurs wish they'd used their second pick on him. Said it before the draft and will continue to say it--he'll be a contributor in the league. Probably not a star, but a solid third option for several seasons.