Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, B00M said:

How has warrens war manifested itself? The IRS was interested in crypto as early as 2014 but reporting requirements have seemingly increased every year. BTC ETFs are now well established and ETH ETFs are here now too. If Warren is waging a war, it seems she’s losing or has little influence. 

I see now that orange man has dabbled in ethereum (not sure how he acquired it, if he still hodls it, if he paid taxes on it, etc). The republicans seem to be embracing crypto but I struggle to trust they won’t fold like cheap suits as the dollar comes under more and more pressure in the coming years

She has used every seemingly every media or hearing opportunity to attack the industry. She's the cosponsor of the most aggressive anti crypto legislation out there and has been trying to whip support for it for a year or two. She famously put in a campaign fundraiser video that she's building an anti-crypto Army. 

The BTC etf was approved because all legal arguments against it had been beaten.

Will Republicans fold like cheap suits? Quite possibly. I don't count on any politicians, but they have signaled more than the other side that they're open to it. On the state level, some red states have aggressively embraced it. Texas, Florida, and Wyoming to name a few. 

Anything that moves the needle even temporarily is a positive. Then as NGU and more people adopt it, it becomes even harder to stop.

Edited by Howlin wolf
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

My only fear on crypto legislation is if we have a major terrorist attack, and it's found that it was funded with crypto. Meaning that the terrorists used crypto to get around normal banking/KYC rules.

And honesty if there is a terrorist attack, it would seem reasonable that crypto would be involved to some extent. I imagine that some of our govt agencies pay their shady, foreign contacts in crypto. It would have to work in the opposite direction as well.

Personally I don't care about crypto that required KYC. And I could see a new blockchain as a solution providing KYC.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My only fear on crypto legislation is if we have a major terrorist attack, and it's found that it was funded with crypto. Meaning that the terrorists used crypto to get around normal banking/KYC rules.

Like this BBC reporting? North Korea: Missile programme funded through stolen crypto, UN report says

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess my fundamental question is how you guys intend to actually use bitcoin, etc when it’s illegal in the US? I feel like it’s just a matter of ‘when’ given our irresponsible fiscal policy. Perhaps it’s paranoid ignorance but VPNs only do so much. At least if private gold ownership gets banned (again), you can trade it without leaving digital receipts. 

36 minutes ago, B00M said:

I guess my fundamental question is how you guys intend to actually use bitcoin, etc when it’s illegal in the US? I feel like it’s just a matter of ‘when’ given our irresponsible fiscal policy. Perhaps it’s paranoid ignorance but VPNs only do so much. At least if private gold ownership gets banned (again), you can trade it without leaving digital receipts. 

I would sell it off it was made illegal and that point it could be worth 10% of todays price. If not lower.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I think the government will likely get tougher on Btc ownership, but political shifts like the current one make them less potentially onerous. 

There's also the question of how one makes Btc illegal? You can't hold private keys? How do you get someone to hand them over if they're keys for coins that haven't moved? There’s “boating accidents” etc.

It's very difficult to ban a peer 2 peer technology and transfers when it comes down to it. 

This also isn't 1933. People will be far less likely to comply with immoral orders like that. The population is not nearly as cohesive/gullible. We know why they would want to do something like that. To eliminate any lifeboats off a sinking fiat currency. Tyrannical behavior. 

Fun fact-the reason that it's 2016 blocks between difficulty adjustments is it’s the reverse of (Executive Order) 6102. 

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would sell it off it was made illegal and that point it could be worth 10% of todays price. If not lower.

We are not the same. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

That ship sailed long ago IMO.  Pandora's box is wide open.

That would appear to be unlikely. The most obvious way to impede Bitcoin usage would be to outlaw self custody. Somehow make owning “self hosted” wallets difficult or illegal. That’s certainly seemed to be what Warren was after. Just have it be through an etf held by large banks. That is why Trump’s explicit statements are important. 

57 minutes ago, B00M said:

I mean, maybe?

IMG_1461.jpeg

They're up another 10% on a down market day. 

I haven't dug any on them, but that chart combined with being small biotech has me thinking they failed on a product. Now they put some remaining cash in btc while they pivot. 

It does show that if you have excess cash and put it in btc, your company will be rewarded. This company can now hodl, they can issue more stock at a higher price for new product research or whatever. There's a lot of money sloshing around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The bitcoin financial services firm Unchained recently announced a partnership with the University of Texas (UATX) to establish the first long-term endowment fund held in bitcoin (BTC). The goal of this collaboration is to raise $5 million, which will be invested in BTC for at least five years.

In a statement, Unchained characterized this initiative as an important step in the quest to integrate bitcoin into higher education. ...

https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-firm-unchained-partners-with-university-of-texas-to-launch-5-million-bitcoin-endowment-fund/

On 6/1/2024 at 9:44 PM, bernorange said:

I could see UT more than happy to accept btc and perhaps willing to keep it as btc, but I would be surprised that they would be as progressive to buy btc from cash donations.

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I could see UT more than happy to accept btc and perhaps willing to keep it as btc, but I would be surprised that they would be as progressive to buy btc from cash donations.

It's just more spending of public money to prop up digital monopoly money

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Any org with an endowment should be willing to accept crypto donations unless it goes against their mission or it would piss off their regular donors. As to whether they hold the crypto donations as crypto should be up to their investment strategy and based on what the crypto donor has required.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:53 AM, Captainant said:

Hoo boy do I have bad news for you. It’s just the start. Incentives line up for more of this to happen. Good interview here. Get the vibes this professor is a hodler 

Wen UTIMCO

• Fuck You 3

On 6/1/2024 at 9:44 PM, bernorange said:

On 6/3/2024 at 7:22 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On 6/3/2024 at 7:53 AM, Captainant said:

6 hours ago, Z-Ro said:

Hoo boy do I have bad news for you. It’s just the start. Incentives line up for more of this to happen. Good interview here. Get the vibes this professor is a hodler 

Wen UTIMCO

From further research that article is wrong. UT-Austin is not partnering with Unchained. It’s the University of Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The charged political landscape around cryptocurrencies continues to get more electric as lawmakers in the House are looking to implement a House Appropriation budget that could prevent the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) from implementing its controversial Staff Accounting Bulletin 121 (SAB 121).
Crypto fans rejoiced at the rare bipartisan approval achieved in both chambers of Congress, but the celebration was short-lived as President Biden vetoed the legislation late on Friday.

Numerous lawmakers, including Senator Cynthia Lummis (R-WY), vowed to continue fighting against the measure, which many in the crypto industry say will only serve to stifle innovation and put the U.S. even further behind more welcoming jurisdictions.

And it didn’t take long for the next step in the battle to emerge as FOX Business reporter Eleanor Terrett reported on Tuesday of the appearance of a new item on the docket for the House Appropriation budget bill set to be debated on Wednesday.

“Look what has found its way into a @HouseAppropsGOP budget bill that is set to be marked up at a hearing tomorrow at 8:30AM EST,” Terrett tweeted. “One of the provisions, or ‘policy riders,’ of the bill prohibits the @SECGov from using appropriated funds to implement SAB 121, as well as its controversial climate disclosure rule.”

“It also provides the SEC with just $2B in overall funding in fiscal year 2025, compared to the $2.59B requested by @GaryGensler earlier this year,” she added. “It also cuts back funding of the SEC’s ‘aggressive’ Enforcement Division by $168M.”

“I’m told the bill will likely pass on party lines tomorrow and then will have to be negotiated with any appropriation bill the Senate passes,” Terrett said. “But positive news for the SAB 121 policy rider is that many Senate Dems also voted to overturn SAB 121, including @SenSchumer, so it’s likely that the provision will be kept in when the final bill ultimately finally gets voted on.”

https://www.kitco.com/news/article/2024-06-05/house-pushes-back-against-biden-veto-crypto-sees-rising-prominence

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, B00M said:

Nope. There are like 3 people that will be swayed by this liars ramblings about crypto 

Ok, B00Mer. 

im going to venture to guess that you don’t traverse bitcoin/crypto twitter. 

Biden’s name is mud. Most crypto owners are young. This feeds into other issues that are there. Dismiss at your own peril. 

• Fuck You 5

On 6/14/2024 at 8:36 PM, Orange Coin said:

Ok, B00Mer. 

im going to venture to guess that you don’t traverse bitcoin/crypto twitter. 

Biden’s name is mud. Most crypto owners are young. This feeds into other issues that are there. Dismiss at your own peril. 

I dabbled in crypto and concluded it had the same utility as precious metals with higher risk. I’m probably younger than you. No, I don’t waste time reading about fucking crypto on the xitter. EABOD and DIAF k thx byeee

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So a company that was about to go bankrupt (for whatever reason, despite apparently having a good software product) decided to start using its remaining cash to buy bitcoin and the price of bitcoin went up? Is that what he proved? And if the price of bitcoin had gone down? See? Market timing works and is totally sustainable and every company should just convert their dollars to bitcoins. Good for the Harvard students for seeing past the shiny object. 

Edited by B00M
Look at all those young people who aren’t crypto worshippers! Fuck that though, who cares what young intelligent people think — this desperate exec made a lucky bet, he knows best!