Voting Questions? Surly Poll Workers and Election Helpers Have Answers!

Nice Guy Eddie

This is a good site as well.   Progress Texas hosts it and it's easy to navigate and gives extra information like voter ID requirements and polling places and times.  It's also multilingual with English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin and Vietnamese.  (I KNOW!!, the dreaded immigrants!)

Go Vote Texas    

Also a great source for any questions for voting (early, in person, overseas or by mail) or to report any suppression crap going on at any polling site (inside or out) is the Texas Voter Hotline -  844 TX VOTES (844-898-6837).  Its 8-5 up until early voting, and then 7-7.  Also can look up polling times and locations for you.    My Texas Votes TDP site

• Hook 'Em 5

I’ve been bugging people in my circle to check and make sure their registration is up to date. It only takes a few seconds and can head off an issue at your polling location when you go to vote, early of course.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I looked up the Elections office information for certain Texas counties that were selected entirely at random. If there's any errors I'll try to fix them

Harris County

• https://www.harrisvotes.com
  • Harris County Administration Building
    • 1001 Preston St, 2nd Floor, Room 200, Houston, TX 77002
    • Phone: 713-274-8200
  • Bellaire Branch
    • 6000 Chimney Rock Rd, Houston, TX 77081
  • Clay Road Branch
    • 16715 Clay Rd, Houston, TX 77084
  • Jim Fonteno Branch
    • 14350 Wallisville Rd, Houston, TX 77049
  • John Phelps Branch
    • 101 S. Richey, Suite E, Pasadena, TX 77506
  • Mickey Leland Branch
    • 7300 N. Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77091
  • Palm Center Branch
    • 5300 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021
  • Raul C. Martinez Branch
    • 1001 SGT. Macario Garcia, Houston, TX 77011
  • Spring Branch Branch
    • 1721 Pech Rd, Houston, TX 77055

Dallas County

Bexar County

Travis County

• https://tax-office.traviscountytx.gov/voters
  • Main Office
    • 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751
    • Phone: 512-854-9473
  • Southeast
    • 4011 McKinney Falls Pkwy, Suite 1200, Austin, TX 78744
  • Downtown
    • 700 Lavaca St, Austin, TX 78701

Tarrant County

Fort Bend County

El Paso County

Williamson County

Hidalgo County

Cameron County

Hays County

Webb County

Starr County

• https://www.co.starr.tx.us/page/starr.Elections
  • 100 N. FM 3167, Ste. 218, Rio Grande City 78582
  •  Armandina Martinez
    Director
    Ph: (956) 716-4843

Guadalupe N. Gonzalez
    Election Supervisor
    Sonia Rodriguez
    Election Clerk
    Rebecca Reyna
    Voter Registrar/Tech

Maverick County

Willacy County

Zavala County

Duval County

• https://www.co.duval.tx.us/page/duval.Elections
  • Elections Administrator                       
    400 E. Gravis                         
    Basement
    P.O. Box 308                                                                                        
    San Diego, TX 78384
    Tel: (361) 279-6278
    Fax: (361) 279-6297
    bobby.gonzalez@co.duval.tx.us
  • Gracie Cruz - Deputy Voter Registrar
    (361) 279-6275

Dimmit County

Brooks County

Presidio County

Jim Hogg County

Culberson County

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I looked up the Elections office information for certain Texas counties that were selected entirely at random. If there's any errors I'll try to fix them

Harris County

• https://www.harrisvotes.com
  • Harris County Administration Building
    • 1001 Preston St, 2nd Floor, Room 200, Houston, TX 77002
  • Bellaire Branch
    • 6000 Chimney Rock Rd, Houston, TX 77081
  • Clay Road Branch
    • 16715 Clay Rd, Houston, TX 77084
  • Jim Fonteno Branch
    • 14350 Wallisville Rd, Houston, TX 77049
  • John Phelps Branch
    • 101 S. Richey, Suite E, Pasadena, TX 77506
  • Mickey Leland Branch
    • 7300 N. Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77091
  • Palm Center Branch
    • 5300 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021
  • Raul C. Martinez Branch
    • 1001 SGT. Macario Garcia, Houston, TX 77011
  • Spring Branch Branch
    • 1721 Pech Rd, Houston, TX 77055

Dallas County

Bexar County

Travis County

• https://tax-office.traviscountytx.gov/voters
  • Main Office
    • 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78751
  • Southeast
    • 4011 McKinney Falls Pkwy, Suite 1200, Austin, TX 78744
  • Downtown
    • 700 Lavaca St, Austin, TX 78701

Tarrant County

Fort Bend County

El Paso County

Williamson County

Hidalgo County

Cameron County

Hays County

Webb County

Starr County

• https://www.co.starr.tx.us/page/starr.Elections
  • 100 N. FM 3167, Ste. 218, Rio Grande City 78582
  •  Armandina Martinez
    Director

Guadalupe N. Gonzalez
    Election Supervisor
    Sonia Rodriguez
    Election Clerk
    Rebecca Reyna
    Voter Registrar/Tech

Maverick County

Willacy County

Zavala County

Duval County

• https://www.co.duval.tx.us/page/duval.Elections
  • Elections Administrator                       
    400 E. Gravis                         
    Basement
    P.O. Box 308                                                                                        
    San Diego, TX 78384
    Tel: (361) 279-6278
    Fax: (361) 279-6297
    bobby.gonzalez@co.duval.tx.us
  • Gracie Cruz - Deputy Voter Registrar
    (361) 279-6275

Dimmit County

Brooks County

Presidio County

Jim Hogg County

Culberson County

Here is the Secretary of State's list of Election Administrators by county.  Election Administrators by county   It also has a link at the top that takes you to county websites.

Be aware that especially in the larger counties the address to send applications to vote by mail can be different than the county Election Administrators.  Here's that link Emails and addresses for applications to VBM per county

• Hook 'Em 1

I just recently figured out a avenue for someone to get removed from the voter rolls: we were sent multiple voter registration applications to our address - basically one for each variation of my fiancé's last name (she was a hyphen last name kid and has been married/divorced so there are a bunch of variations). Anyway, she is registered under a single last name (her father's) now and it's the same on all of her official documents. She presented me the multiple applications and asked if she needed to fill any of them out - we immediately checked her info online and she was registered with her current name. All of the applications were for "other people" - in other words, if she had ever registered under that name it is still on the rolls. Since this is coming from Travis County I don't think it's purposely nefarious (they can't assume people with similar names are the same people). But I could easily see this being a way someone gets flagged as double registered. Double and triple check your info, folks.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

When does early voting start

Mon Oct 21st.  goes until Fri Nov 1st.

Word of warning about voting. Everyone loves to take a picture or film their ballot. Technically that's against the rules (law?) so just don't do it. The rule is actually about not using an electronic device in the vote center. I would assume vote center folks have a tendency to attract former hall monitors. I assume you can film your absentee ballot at home.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

My kid got her registration card last week.  She turns 18 on the last day of early voting so we will go vote as a family then.  She asked if it's kosher to flash both middle fingers and yell "FUCK TRUMP" as she exits the polling station.  I said, you'll be an adult, do what you want.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid got her registration card last week.  She turns 18 on the last day of early voting so we will go vote as a family then.  She asked if it's kosher to flash both middle fingers and yell "FUCK TRUMP" as she exits the polling station.  I said, you'll be an adult, do what you want.

Legally, probably because free speech and all that

But it could incite a social media shitstorm she and you don't need

we should all vow to do as little as possible to get our ballots thrown out when we vote. bring a picture id and your voter card, if you have it, wear nondescript and normal clothes (no political or campaign merch). bring a printed copy of the ballot with your selections, leave your phone in the car if you have to, be extra friendly to the poll workers, and don't talk to anyone coming or going. I still think it's bullshit that the non-harassment perimeter doesn't extend to the parking lot. I expect a lot of canvassers and ne'er-do-wells alike will be bugging people heading in and exit pollers will be trying to talk to people coming out.

zoolander-zoolander-movie.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Yay elect an megalomaniac idiot who cares about himself and his bank account but is at least not a United States hating communist or instead elect a stupid virtue signaling communist who already has fucked your life over and will lead to final annihilation of this once great nation!

One day you will learn to not participate in the bread and circus but clearly you think you are "saving democracy" even though you live in a constitutional republic with no fucking democracy.

Go ahead and warn/ban me now it's cool ;-)

57 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yay elect an megalomaniac idiot who cares about himself and his bank account but is at least not a United States hating communist or instead elect a stupid virtue signaling communist who already has fucked your life over and will lead to final annihilation of this once great nation!

One day you will learn to not participate in the bread and circus but clearly you think you are "saving democracy" even though you live in a constitutional republic with no fucking democracy.

Go ahead and warn/ban me now it's cool 😉

Imagine Pimphand's mental state once aggy takes a couple more L's between now and the election

10 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I couldn't make heads or tails out of that post.

What are you trying to say?  Maybe take out the vagueness and use actual names.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I couldn't make heads or tails out of that post.

What are you trying to say?  Maybe take out the vagueness and use actual names.

He's saying that Trump is "an [sic] megalomaniac idiot who cares about himself and his bank account but is at least not a United States hating communist" and that Harris is "a stupid virtue signaling communist who already has fucked your life over and will lead to final annihilation of this once great nation!" Further, he goes on to say that the US is a constitutional republic but not a democracy.

In other words, he's channeling the insanity you see in his avatar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pimphand said:

whatever, just leave Bill out of this. he would have laughed at you

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/2/2024 at 9:10 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Mon Oct 21st.  goes until Fri Nov 1st.

Word of warning about voting. Everyone loves to take a picture or film their ballot. Technically that's against the rules (law?) so just don't do it. The rule is actually about not using an electronic device in the vote center. I would assume vote center folks have a tendency to attract former hall monitors. I assume you can film your absentee ballot at home.

Poll worker here, but never was a hall monitor. The crew that I work with tends to look the other way. If it’s super conspicuous, we just give a polite reminder. I would be more worried about partisan poll watchers.

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2024 at 12:22 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

bring a printed copy of the ballot with your selections

Agree with this advice in the primary, but in the general you shouldn’t need this to remember to vote a straight D ticket.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Agree with this advice in the primary, but in the general you shouldn’t need this to remember to vote a straight D ticket.

I have yet to vote in a general election where there aren't some down-ballot races that are not party affiliated and if I don't have a reminder of who I chose I won't have a clue. otherwise, yes.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I have yet to vote in a general election where there aren't some down-ballot races that are not party affiliated and if I don't have a reminder of who I chose I won't have a clue. otherwise, yes.

I've had to do the same for the down-ballot stuff and was once scolded several years ago for checking the notes I typed in my phone. I had no idea they weren't allowed—smartphones were relatively new at the time. It didn't even occur to me to take a photo and share it on social media. I was just proud of myself for not wasting paper and was actually kind of irked at that moment. I just didn't get the hubbub about the issue.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I've had to do the same for the down-ballot stuff and was once scolded several years ago for checking the notes I typed in my phone. I had no idea they weren't allowed—smartphones were relatively new at the time. It didn't even occur to me to take a photo and share it on social media. I was just proud of myself for not wasting paper and was actually kind of irked at that moment. I just didn't get the hubbub about the issue.

it's because our election laws are designed to make it harder to vote. there really is no other reason

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

When we re-upped my son’s license over the summer (freshly minted 18 YO) we checked the “register to vote” option. Got his card about two weeks later. He’s psyched. Left or right, go exercise it man. Not everyone on this planet can.

Edited by HiggyBaby

we should all vow to do as little as possible to get our ballots thrown out when we vote. bring a picture id and your voter card, if you have it, wear nondescript and normal clothes (no political or campaign merch). bring a printed copy of the ballot with your selections, leave your phone in the car if you have to, be extra friendly to the poll workers, and don't talk to anyone coming or going. I still think it's bullshit that the non-harassment perimeter doesn't extend to the parking lot. I expect a lot of canvassers and ne'er-do-wells alike will be bugging people heading in and exit pollers will be trying to talk to people coming out.

Also try to look white

Don't want to rehash 2020, but I will. Jane Nelson, our secretary of state and former state senator, telling it like it is for those who need to hear it. Not sure if her Republican colleagues would approve if it was 2020 and "COVID IS NOT A DISABILITY."

They cannot enforce disability status, everyone is eligible.

"Voting by mail in Texas has been available to elderly voters and voters with physical disabilities for decades. Remember, however, that many of the legal safeguards designed to protect voters and their ballots are impossible to enforce in the privacy of the voter’s home."
https://www.votetexas.gov/voting-by-mail/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Voting moron amnesty here. How does mail in work? I will be back in California mostly for the rest of the year with other travel mixed in. Never done it before

You may be too late to get a ballot. Call the election office of your home county and ask them what you can do.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Print this out

https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/forms/6-1f.pdf

Mail it to Dallas county

https://www.dallascountyvotes.org/vote-by-mail/apply/

• Heider Garcia- Early Voting Clerk
    Dallas County Elections Department
    1520 Round Table Drive
    Dallas, Texas 75247

I presume you're already registered to vote in Dallas County. The deadline for the mail ballot application looks to be October 25, but I'd do it ASAP just in case there's delays.

Mail Ballot Application Deadline

Election Name Election Day Application Submission Deadline
Joint & Special Election Saturday, May 4, 2024 Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Primary Runoff Election Tuesday, May 28, 2024 Friday, May 17, 2024
General Election Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Friday, October 25, 2024

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I'm in CA.  Received my ballot in today's mail.  Voted straight-ticket dem, and I was so excited I literally drove straight to the post office to send it off. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

CA has a terrific tracking system, and I will receive a text when the county receives my vote (barcode on envelope), just as I did when they mailed out my ballot. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Last year the US Post Office took four weeks to get my Christmas cards from North Austin to faraway kingdoms like Del Valle and Spicewood, so I wouldn't exactly feel good about putting my ballot in the mail.

5 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Last year the US Post Office took four weeks to get my Christmas cards from North Austin to faraway kingdoms like Del Valle and Spicewood, so I wouldn't exactly feel good about putting my ballot in the mail.

Username fits.

• Haha 5

• immamac changed the title to Voting Questions? Surly Poll Workers and Election Helpers Have Answers!

I normally enjoy speaking with the politicians at the polls. For whatever reason, they often choose my local library to stand around for canvassing. I spoke with a republican running in the Feb primary for at least an hour.

I normally wear my cowboys hat when I go vote. I peel off the old sticker before going in and apply a new sticker after voting.

The double entandre isn’t subtle.

IMG_1566.thumb.jpeg.aa9c6c22c21add179802c1a66c043909.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Harris County. Let’s Fucking Go ! ….

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2115.jpeg

IMG_2114.jpeg

IMG_2113.jpeg

Setting my alarm early for Monday morning. I’ll be voting at the West Gray Multi-Service Center first thing. Can’t wait!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, GenXer said:

I normally enjoy speaking with the politicians at the polls. For whatever reason, they often choose my local library to stand around for canvassing. I spoke with a republican running in the Feb primary for at least an hour.

I normally wear my cowboys hat when I go vote. I peel off the old sticker before going in and apply a new sticker after voting.

The double entandre isn’t subtle.

IMG_1566.thumb.jpeg.aa9c6c22c21add179802c1a66c043909.jpeg

That's pretty fucking bold wearing that hat, man.  I mean, people are going to know you're a Cowboys fan.

If you run into problems in line or at the polls and think something isn't quite kosher, call 844-TX-VOTES.  We've got a pretty seasoned crew of volunteers who are backed up by a boiler room full of voter protection attys to help with anything.  We also have a group of poll watchers on the ground who work through us.  

We take notes on record the basis of each call, and also the counties where the issue was reported from.  That way we can determine if there are trends in certain counties or particular polling sites.    

Like I said before, it's tied to MyTexasVotes.com, which is TDP's VoPro section of their web presence.  

Some of the issues we deal with daily starting about a month before EV begins, through EV and continuing after Election Day are:

Vote by mail questions like how to apply, who can apply, what are the deadlines, how do they know their applications have been accepted and then after the election in the event there was some curable error made on the mail in ballot, we help get those resolved.

Voter ID and registration questions

Polling locations and times of operation

Polling location incidents

Provisional ballots and Limited ballots

Emergency medical ballots

I just list these out because some of you might run into something like this.  Say you are planning to vote in person, but you have some sort of accident and are stuck in a hospital during EV and ED.  Or like what Zepol is dealing with going to CA.  

It's pretty amazing how difficult they have made it to vote, and on top of that all the latest intimidation plays by Paxton and his band of henchmen.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2