RIP Pete Rose

Pimphand

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

My dad still wants him in the Hall of Fame. 

he should be recognized for being all time hits leader, but not a living member. he knew one of the few rules that can get you banned 

if inducted after his death, a former HoF teammate should induct him 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he should be recognized for being all time hits leader, but not a living member. he knew one of the few rules that can get you banned 

if inducted after his death, a former HoF teammate should induct him 

He should have been inducted into the HOF a long, long time ago.

• Hook 'Em 6

RIP. I'm pretty indifferent about the HOF. If they let him in posthumously I think it's obviously well deserved. If not, he broke a pretty important rule and I think the decision is justified. I always had the sense that the gambling thing was even more important at the time because of the mob's monopoly on gambling in most major cities. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Loved to watch him when I was growing up. He was who I wanted to be when I was in Little League. I insisted on using a wooden ‘Slugger with his signature on it. This was when the Big Red Machine was coming in to power. Maybe they will let him in to the HOF now. RIP CH.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

He was a gritty, overrated shitheel. I remember watching him break Cobb’s record and my dad muttering that he was a son of a bitch for what he did to Ray Fosse. 

That overrated shitheel had 4,256 hits.

I'm not sure that one is going to be broken.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, achooloco said:

He broke the rules. Keep him out of the HoF. Still RIP.

He signed a document agreeing to be banned for life. If anyone in this thread hasn’t read the Dowd Report, feel free to throw your computer in a dumpster and light it on fire. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

He signed a document agreeing to be banned for life. If anyone in this thread hasn’t read the Dowd Report, feel free to throw your computer in a dumpster and light it on fire. 

I'm not sure I care about the HOF, but I do not think they are bound by the ban.  Rose couldn't work in baseball, and I think everyone agrees on that.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The rule was posted, the punishment was spelled out on the posted sign, he did it anyway, he got caught, he signed an agreement to banishment including the Hall. 

Anyone who thinks he should be in the Hall is either ignorant of reality when it comes to Rose, a complete moron, or both. 

Animated GIF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The rule was posted, the punishment was spelled out on the posted sign, he did it anyway, he got caught, he signed an agreement to banishment including the Hall. 

Anyone who thinks he should be in the Hall is either ignorant of reality when it comes to Rose, a complete moron, or both. 

#TeamMoron

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

No one is hurt by putting a dead man in the hall.

Just make sure that the process they used for Lenin is used. I’m sure the 100 years or so have helped make it even better and more realistic.

Putting him next to Ted Williams cryo frozen head will be a nice touch. Two of the best hitters in all of baseball on display.

Edited by Dnaguy

My Astros fandom and much of Rose's playing career overlapped. The guy could definitely hit...but that's all I know to say good about him. The very definition of a hot dog. (He made Willie Montanez seem like an introvert.) Rose would dive to make routine catches look hard and was just as much a showboater in the batter's box and on the basepaths. I'm thrilled he never made it to Cooperstown.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

No one is hurt by putting a dead man in the hall.

You'd be telling older players who are definitely in that it's okay for them to bet on their own games. You can try to say that they'd be giving up being a living Hall of Famer but you're kidding yourself. Once you set that precedent with Rose you can't actually say "you have to die first." They would get in while alive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You'd be telling older players who are definitely in that it's okay for them to bet on their own games. You can try to say that they'd be giving up being a living Hall of Famer but you're kidding yourself. Once you set that precedent with Rose you can't actually say "you have to die first." They would get in while alive. 

Nah.

Dead people can’t celebrate. Baseball made its point.

Roger, Pete, Sosa, Big Mac and Bonds get in. Just make sure they die first.

It’s principled and petty all at the same time.

Win, win.

35 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Ehhh. Overrated? No problem with anything else you said though.

He was a slap hitter who played a long time. Most of his records are counting stats. He had a few MVP-type seasons and otherwise just hung around for 24+ seasons. Less than 200 homers, less than 200 stolen bases. Took out a defenseless player in a meaningless all star game and ruined that guy’s career. Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 7

38 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Fuck that guy. He was a first class piece of shit. Credible accused of statutory rape, a degenerate gambler, and a piece of shit. 

He was an absolute scumbag.  I can’t believe people still idolize that piece of shit.  

image.thumb.png.652f9e858ae87b39da140eced78b1443.png

• Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He was a slap hitter who played a long time. Most of his records are counting stats. He had a few MVP-type seasons and otherwise just hung around for 24+ seasons. Less than 200 homers, less than 200 stolen bases. Took out a defenseless player in a meaningless all star game and ruined that guy’s career. Fuck him. 

* Fewer

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Career longevity is kind of a big deal when it comes to HOF candidacy.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

First, Pete Rose was a fuckhead cunt.

Second, baseball would be a lot better sport if more guys hit .303 rather than all trying to be home run jockeys sporting .235 batting averages

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1