RIP Pete Rose

Pimphand

55 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The rule was posted, the punishment was spelled out on the posted sign, he did it anyway, he got caught, he signed an agreement to banishment including the Hall. 

Anyone who thinks he should be in the Hall is either ignorant of reality when it comes to Rose, a complete moron, or both. 

I learned this in Florida as a young man. "Shrimp Sharers Will Be Charged Full Price!" was the sign at a seafood place in Clearwater, Florida in 1986.  It was a buffet. I didn't understand so I asked the waitress what it meant. She told me that there were lowlife pieces of shit who would sit at a table of 4 but only 2 people would order all you can eat shrimp and the 2 lowlifes would eat off their plate.  Rose knew the rules, the consequences and he willfully broke them. He is a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2

I became a huge MLB fan in the late ‘70s. That was before the great statistical awakening brought by (mainly) Bill James. That’s why a right handed.320 hitting 1st baseman of modest range with a .365 OBP and .395 SA was considered one of the best players in the game. 

He was pretty-to-very good fora long time, though, and was competitive in a sport where the long seasons make that difficult. 

I got no problem with him being kept out of the HoF. Shoeless Joe was almost certainly a better player and he can’t get in. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He was a slap hitter who played a long time. Most of his records are counting stats. He had a few MVP-type seasons and otherwise just hung around for 24+ seasons. Less than 200 homers, less than 200 stolen bases. Took out a defenseless player in a meaningless all star game and ruined that guy’s career. Fuck him. 

Yeah if I can math decently, around 3/4 of his hits are singles. His defensive war is abysmal, and his total war for his last 7 seasons while he chased Cobb was 1.2 so he was a replacement level player.  Most of that was in his 40s so good for him I guess. 

Basically he had an entire very average career after his pretty long very good career, to get to that hit number. 

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Rules can be broken, that is true.

You are correct.  Those that impact the bottom line seem more important than those that actually impact the on field results.

• Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, Atlas said:

Relativism is fun.  Rules can be broken and be okay, but not certain rules.  Sounds like a sound set of beliefs.

The Astros were punished. The only relativist here is you. Break the rules, get caught, get punished. 

Btw, come on, the Astros punishment was a joke.  Every single franchise would take that punishment for a title.  Increased ticket sales, merch, advertising more than paid for that fine.

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Atlas said:

Btw, come on, the Astros punishment was a joke.  Every single franchise would take that punishment for a title.  Increased ticket sales, merch, advertising more than paid for that fine.

So you're saying that if punishments aren't severe enough then anyone would break the rules. Which means Rose shouldn't be in the Hall. Oops.

Again, you're the only one trying to have it both ways, the only difference is you are letting specific team fandom make you seem silly. 

• Like 1

Everything that's been listed by y'all in this forum.  Not going to look it up.  My memory says something like a $25m fine, GM and manager jettisoned, some first round draft picks forfeited.  That close enough?  Every team would sign up for that.

And again, the biggest transgression is the Astros messed with everybody else's money.  Regular season incentives, post season incentives, all of it.

• Fuck You 4

Just now, Atlas said:

Everything that's been listed by y'all in this forum.  Not going to look it up.  My memory says something like a $25m fine, GM and manager jettisoned, some first round draft picks forfeited.  That close enough?  Every team would sign up for that.

And again, the biggest transgression is the Astros messed with everybody else's money.  Regular season incentives, post season incentives, all of it.

Again, why do you think the punishment was so lenient?

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

So you're saying that if punishments aren't severe enough then anyone would break the rules. Which means Rose shouldn't be in the Hall. Oops.

Again, you're the only one trying to have it both ways, the only difference is you are letting specific team fandom make you seem silly. 

Re-read, I don't give a shit if Rose is in the hall.

• Fuck You 4

Just now, Atlas said:

Re-read, I don't give a shit if Rose is in the hall.

So you're only in this thread to make it about a different topic entirely, presumably because you still cry about the Astros' 2017 World Series Championship. There's are threads made for you to cry about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Career longevity is kind of a big deal when it comes to HOF candidacy.

this is true. career war of 79.5.  highest WAR of any player "eligible" and not in the HOF who did not take steroids.  Schilling is right beneath him on the WAR list.

Still hopeful Schilling gets in some day.

He was the definition of "if you can hit, you don't sit" and was 2nd all time in doubles.  The guy played damn near every day  for 20 years and even won a couple GG's. He's not top 25 but he's a top 50 player all time for sure.

I'm torn on Rose and the HoF because it was clear as day what the rule was and why it was there.  That said fucking David Ortiz is in the HoF so I really don't see why Peter Edward Rose can't be.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Again, why do you think the punishment was so lenient?

Because if you asked any fanbase or ownership if they would take that punishment for a title, I think they would all agree.  I could be wrong, but outside of two or three, I doubt it.  A $25m fine is a joke after winning a title for any baseball team.  GM/Manager?  Astros seem fine?  Draft picks? Astros seem fine.

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So you're only in this thread to make it about a different topic entirely, presumably because you still cry about the Astros' 2017 World Series Championship. There's are threads made for you to cry about it. 

I made a reply to an obvious Astros fan that said don't break the rules in the very spirit of this board.  Sorry you it hit you so hard.

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Atlas said:

Because if you asked any fanbase or ownership if they would take that punishment for a title, I think they would all agree.  I could be wrong, but outside of two or three, I doubt it.  A $25m fine is a joke after winning a title for any baseball team.  GM/Manager?  Astros seem fine?  Draft picks? Astros seem fine.

It was lenient. I’m a rangers fan. What the Stros did doesn’t compare to Rose. Why are we comparing the two?  People need to get over the Stros. Rose is overrated, the worst liar, and a world class scum bag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Most of that was in his 40s so good for him I guess. 

It was a lot easier back then to keep getting run out there past your ability to contribute.  Especially when you were the manager.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

That overrated shitheel had 4,256 hits.

I'm not sure that one is going to be broken.

Some day.  If Ichiro were born on this side of the Pacific it already would have.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You know which of his records is even more unbreakable?

image.png.401134d77f4ea3b948a1f36db3d0921e.png

That’s like the Russell Westbrook turnovers stat (or missed career field goals); he’s the NBA champ of the hollow stat accumulation. 

Bill James used to argue that, given the choice, you’d be better off with Graig Nettles at 3B than Pete Rose. Nettles had a crappy BA, but decent OBP and really good SA, plus he was a terrific fielder (if you measure by range and throwing, rather than just error percentage). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Holy shit, are your guys actually Red Herring the Astros to deflect from the fact that Pete Rose was a legitimate piece of shit?

no I think they are just saying the Astros cheated their way to a title.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no I think they are just saying the Astros cheated their way to a title.

I’m a Red Sox fan. I give them no quarter, but there isn’t a big sign in the clubhouse that says 

“thou shalt not have thy relievers scan the catchers signs and relay them to the dugout or be banned for life”

Jfc, the Dodgers were stealing signs on Bobby Thompsons shot heard round the world. 

It isn’t about cheating: it’s about breaking the only fucking rule that is involuble and got Shoeless Joe banned. 

Also, not being a fucking pedophile. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m a Red Sox fan. I give them no quarter, but there isn’t a big sign in the clubhouse that says 

“thou shalt not have thy relievers scan the catchers signs and relay them to the dugout or be banned for life”

Jfc, the Dodgers were stealing signs on Bobby Thompsons shot heard round the world. 

It isn’t about cheating: it’s about breaking the only fucking rule that is involuble and got Shoeless Joe banned. 

Also, not being a fucking pedophile. 

sure.  I didn't say the Astros should be banned from baseball.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One guy is, and I’m negging him for doing. I hope he keeps posting. 

Oh no way, neg me!  I simply responded to a post by an obvious Astros fan that said, don't break the rules, unless you want to get punished.  Break whatever rules you want.

• Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

sure.  I didn't say the Astros should be banned from baseball.

That’s a false equivalence: you are equating two things that are at best tangentially connected (cheating, baseball) to make an argument that has minimal connection. 

Pete Rose never played for the Astros. There is no other relevancy here other than they are both in the MLB. Are you also going cite Jason Grimsley retrieving a corked bat in 1994 to create another false equivalence?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

That’s a false equivalence: you are equating two things that are at best tangentially connected (cheating, baseball) to make an argument that has minimal connection. 

Pete Rose never played for the Astros. There is no other relevancy here other than they are both in the MLB. Are you also going cite Jason Grimsley retrieving a corked bat in 1994 to create another false equivalence?

Pete Rose is/was banned from baseball for what he did.  I specifically never said the Astros should be banned from baseball for what they did.  not sure why you are confused.

and i will go on record saying the Astros should not have been banned from baseball for what they did.

Edited by dcar00