RIP Pete Rose

Pimphand

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Pete Rose is/was banned from baseball for what he did.  I specifically never said the Astros should be banned from baseball for what they did.  not sure why you are confused.

and i will go on record saying the Astros should not have been banned from baseball for what they did.

I looked back and you, as far as I scrolled, did not start the false equivalence.  

But to be clear, bringing up the Astros in a thread about Pete Rose makes you either stupid, dumb or attempting to deflect from his admitted crimes and faults via a false equivalence.

It you thought the Astros cheated, take it to that thread. If you want to talk Pete Rose, stay here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bateshorn said:

I looked back and you, as far as I scrolled, did not start the false equivalence.  

But to be clear, bringing up the Astros in a thread about Pete Rose makes you either stupid, dumb or attempting to deflect from his admitted crimes and faults via a false equivalence.

It you thought the Astros cheated, take it to that thread. If you want to talk Pete Rose, stay here. 

Oh the Astros cheated.  Pete Rose did not cheat but he did gamble on baseball and hurt the integrity of the game on the field. I'm indifferent on him in the HoF but there are known players that hurt the integrity of the game that are now in the hall.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Oh the Astros cheated.  Pete Rose did not cheat but he did gamble on baseball and hurt the integrity of the game on the field. I'm indifferent on him in the HoF but there are known players that hurt the integrity of the game that are now in the hall.

He signed a paper agreeing to a lifetime ban, which includes the hall. Not sure what else there is to debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

He signed a paper agreeing to a lifetime ban, which includes the hall. Not sure what else there is to debate. 

Oh I know.  He is never getting in because he gambled on baseball games but I find it funny that the whole reason for the rule was to uphold the integrity of the game.

edit: people in baseball have been debating it since he signed the paper.

Edited by dcar00

16 minutes ago, Atlas said:

I feel like you have some sway on this board.  Are you begging people for saying the Astros cheated?  Weird.  You do your thing.

I’ve negged you for threadshitting. This thread had jack shit to do with the astros and sign stealing. You attempted to derail the discussion. Negged. Get right or get fucked. If you were on the Astros cheating thread with your plaintive whines about folks holding Pete Rose in judgment while the Astros committed these apparent sign-stealing atrocities, I’d not be present. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Oh I know.  He is never getting in because he gambled on baseball games but I find it funny that the whole reason for the rule was to uphold the integrity of the game.

edit: people in baseball have been debating it since he signed the paper.

That’s always been the great argument against the ban: yay well, baseball players in general are pieces of shit, teams cheat. who can say, lots of people have debated it. 

but that’s not the case, the Dowd Report was overwhelming, and Pete Rose signed a paper agreeing to a lifetime ban. Doesn’t matter what a couple of choades on a Texas board think: it matters what Pete Rose did, of his own free will, at the time. 

it’s functionally no different than someone agreeing to penalties as part of a civil suit. It’s binding and done. 

Deserves got nothing to do with it. Although he also deserved it, imho. 

2 hours ago, runthebone said:

He was pretty pleasant when my son and I met him at the Reds Hall of Fame last summer.

(But it was pretty obvious he is actually kind of an ahole)

(But RIP)

How much did Rose charge you?

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

That’s always been the great argument against the ban: yay well, baseball players in general are pieces of shit, teams cheat. who can say, lots of people have debated it. 

but that’s not the case, the Dowd Report was overwhelming, and Pete Rose signed a paper agreeing to a lifetime ban. Doesn’t matter what a couple of choades on a Texas board think: it matters what Pete Rose did, of his own free will, at the time. 

it’s functionally no different than someone agreeing to penalties as part of a civil suit. It’s binding and done. 

Deserves got nothing to do with it. Although he also deserved it, imho. 

you do realize that he signed the lifetime ban and then after the fact(years later) the Hall of Fame decided that he would not be eligible. At the time he signed a lifetime ban did not mean you were never eligible for the Hall.  He didn't sign a piece of paper that agreed to a lifetime ban and not being eligible for the HoF.  This is why there actually has been a debate.

He also could ask for reinstatement, which baseball consistently denied.  for good reason because he kept changing his story on it.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you do realize that he signed the lifetime ban and then after the fact(years later) the Hall of Fame decided that he would not be eligible. At the time he signed a lifetime ban did not mean you were never eligible for the Hall.  He didn't sign a piece of paper that agreed to a lifetime ban and not being eligible for the HoF.  This is why there actually has been a debate.

He also could ask for reinstatement, which baseball consistently denied.  for good reason because he kept changing his story on it.

Yeah. Sure. The HOF was maybe gonna let him in, but then they fucked him? Right? Who knows, it was possible?

Hows Shoeless Joe’s candidacy going?

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Yeah. Sure. The HOF was maybe gonna let him in, but then they fucked him? Right? Who knows, it was possible?

Hows Shoeless Joe’s candidacy going?

I never said they fucked him.  you were Mr. "he signed a piece of paper agreeing to a ban, which includes the hall".  I'm just telling you that the paper he signed didn't say anything about HoF. In fact it was so unclear that the HoF had to actually write a new rule, years later.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I never said they fucked him.  you were Mr. "he signed a piece of paper agreeing to a ban, which includes the hall".  I'm just telling you that the paper he signed didn't say anything about HoF. In fact it was so unclear that the HoF had to actually write a new rule, years later.

Like I said, how was Shoeless Joe’s bid going at that point? Field of Dreams was 1989, right?

The Hall is a separate institution from MLB. But if Rose didn’t know what he was signing then he’s even dumber than I thought. And I think he’s very stupid.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Like I said, how was Shoeless Joe’s bid going at that point? Field of Dreams was 1989, right?

The Hall is a separate institution from MLB. But if Rose didn’t know what he was signing then he’s even dumber than I thought. And I think he’s very stupid.

yes, I know the Hall is separate.  I was clarifying what he actually signed didn't say anything about the HoF and that it was unclear enough the HoF decided to finally make an actual rule as it relates to the permanently banned list.

1 hour ago, Atlas said:

I feel like you have some sway on this board.  Are you begging people for saying the Astros cheated?  Weird.  You do your thing.

Bro shut the fuck up. No one with a sack of functioning testicles cares enough about the Astros sign-stealing in 20 fucking 24 to thread shit on a RIP Pete Rose thread. Good fucking Christ. 

This thread should be about discussing a very complicated legacy and highlighting the good and bad that the man did. Talk about whether he should be in the Hall. Post vids like @tx 3 putt did where he's straight captivating two other baseball legends talking about the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And - personally - I'm not old enough to have a super nuanced take on the man - but I think that being the all-time hits leader (likely until the heat death of the universe unless something changes drastically) is fairly decent consolation. 

However - if I'm looking at who is and isn't in the hall - I think Rose has zero fucking case until someone like Bonds is allowed in. There are more problematic exclusions than Pete Rose imo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And - personally - I'm not old enough to have a super nuanced take on the man - but I think that being the all-time hits leader (likely until the heat death of the universe unless something changes drastically) is fairly decent consolation. 

However - if I'm looking at who is and isn't in the hall - I think Rose has zero fucking case until someone like Bonds is allowed in. There are more problematic exclusions than Pete Rose imo.

Rose is never getting in.  Bonds, Clemens, et al should be in now that Ortiz is in but they ran out on the clock on them because writers are basically short dudes who are pissed they kept getting picked last.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Rose is never getting in.  Bonds, Clemens, et al should be in now that Ortiz is in but they ran out on the clock on them because writers are basically short dudes who are pissed they kept getting picked last.

I just think it's funny that arguably the greatest baseball player of all time isn't in the sport's hall of fame. 

Basketball and football do not have this issue. 

Just think about how many guys in the 90s and 00s and still to this day are dirty but just never piss hot. It almost has to fucking outnumber the guys that do get popped.

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just think it's funny that arguably the greatest baseball player of all time isn't in the sport's hall of fame. 

Just think about how many guys in the 90s and 00s and still to this day are dirty but just never piss hot. It almost has to fucking outnumber the guys that do get popped.

this is directly related to the short dudes who always got picked last

8 minutes ago, DallasGatr said:

I have been a (paying) member on this site since who knows when. Never negged anyone but I have the itch to shoot my load all over the one equating my beloved Astros to Pete Rose. Can you clue me in?

I agree it's an unfair comparison. 

You guys are way bigger pieces of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

It was 1968 and I attended my first baseball game ever at Crosley field in Cincinnati. In the lineup that day were Bench, Rose, Perez and May. I was too young to remember much but it did instill a love of baseball throughout the 70’s for the Big Red Machine. Always rooted for Rose. Over time it became clear he was a bit of an ass and a gambling cheater. I don’t think he should be in the HOF. Mfr gambled on Reds games. The complaints about him being an over-rated hitter are ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Fuck the Pete Rose debate. Dude was a scumbag pile of shit. He bet on games. He claims he only bet on his team to win, yeah fucking right, because degenerate gamblers are known for their honesty.

He spent his whole life whining about it too. Bitch, you're more famous not being in the HOF. Just shut up.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I learned this in Florida as a young man. "Shrimp Sharers Will Be Charged Full Price!" was the sign at a seafood place in Clearwater, Florida in 1986.  It was a buffet. I didn't understand so I asked the waitress what it meant. She told me that there were lowlife pieces of shit who would sit at a table of 4 but only 2 people would order all you can eat shrimp and the 2 lowlifes would eat off their plate.  Rose knew the rules, the consequences and he willfully broke them. He is a fucking idiot.

Working in a restaurant I’ve seen people share ice teas

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Fuck the Pete Rose debate. Dude was a scumbag pile of shit. He bet on games. He claims he only bet on his team to win, yeah fucking right, because degenerate gamblers are known for their honesty.

He spent his whole life whining about it too. Bitch, you're more famous not being in the HOF. Just shut up.

Well he finally did...taking that big dirt nap now...

8 hours ago, oh_snap said:

This is pretty easy, whether you love him or hate him: He was given a life time ban. His life is now over. So it’s time to let him in. Most hits ever, pretty silly not to let him in now. 

When is Joe Jackson's enshrinement?

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, huge said:

Do you think SJJ should be in?

I think he has a better argument because Landis made up his punishment ad hoc, although with precedent from other leagues. But I believe he should remain out. That precedent should never be compromised.

He came to practice for a team I was on several years ago and spoke to us.  He referred to himself as 'hit king' throughout the talk which was basically 20 minutes of him telling us how much of a badass he was.  He was wearing a white almost shiny warm up / track suit and shiny white baseball cap with 'hit king' on the front.  He had on white tennis shoes that were some kind of animal skin and old lady reading glasses with a gold metal chain attached to them.  He kind of looked (and was dressed) like Elton John.  

• Haha 5

If anyone watched the Pete Rose doc on HBO, after episode 1, you're like "loved the player, but not a great guy."  After episodes 2, 3 and 4, you're like "this guy was a huge a piece of shit and is still a huge piece of shit."  And I 100% believe he bet against the Reds.  And even if he didn't, betting on them to win is bad enough.  As a player, betting on your team to win would eventually be forgivable.  As a manager, absolutely unforgiveable.  

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Let him in the HOF, but put his plaque in the back of a urinal in the men’s room.  

Or in the ladies room with the alternates.

10 hours ago, oh_snap said:

This is pretty easy, whether you love him or hate him: He was given a life time ban. His life is now over. So it’s time to let him in. Most hits ever, pretty silly not to let him in now. 

It's pretty easy if you have the facts correct -- He was not given a lifetime ban; he was placed on the "permanently ineligible list."

There, now it should be "pretty easy."

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pete Rose is not "arguably the greatest baseball player" of all time.  He was a very, very good player but a stat chaser.  If he hadn't been the Reds manager from 84-86, would he have broken Cobb's record?  And Cobb set the original record in 2700 fewer plate appearances, 2600 fewer ABs and 500 fewer games.  

Someone probably would have signed him for the publicity and ticket sales and he was still a decent hitter in 1985. But WAR wise he was replacement player at best for last 8 years of his career and an outright liability in 4 of those. 

• Hook 'Em 3