Wyoming forfeits Volleyball matchup with San Jose State

Iceman

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well I mean we have a United States Senator from our state running for reelection and his entire campaign strategy right now is based on this issue. So it kind of is. 

21 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

True, but I'd argue that no one is switching votes over it

I certainly hope that you're right, but you can't tell me that you haven't noticed the ridiculous influx of trans people (and LGTBQ+ in general) being mentioned in casual conversation/jokes among your friends, family, and social circles over the past few years. In my experience, from like zero ever to damn near every single right-leaning person I know finding a way to squeeze it into otherwise polite conversation. Sure, some were already MAGA adjacent, but a few (usually ones with kids) were seemingly "radicalized" largely because of the angry, fear-based messaging about schools making kids trans and widespread grooming that they're being fed from TV, podcasts, and politicians.

And, again, this thread, ostensibly about sports, only exists because of that. You know, the OP where state governments pressured their universities to forfeit to make this a story this--and only this--year.

21 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Can we please just get away from this discussion and go back to revoking citizenship of black peoples and deporting them?  

We were about to get a couple pages about who participates in more club sports because their kids are such prodigies if we didn't get sidetracked. Somehow, this is even worse.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Eliminate gender segregation in sport.  Qualifications would be based on something akin to a SPARQ score.

Someone on this site finally came up with a proposal to this issue. Not a bad one either…who gave you that idea? 

35 minutes ago, safe sex said:

It's not about switching votes; it's about scaring people to the polls.

FFS, Dixon, here in Texas they want to revert everyone who has had their gender marker changed on their driver's license and they want to KEEP A LIST of everyone who applies to have their gender marker changed. This has all happened within the last two months. And now Cruz is campaigning solely on transphobia.

"Awww, gee, I just don't see how this affects anyone's life or rights. Seems just like Freedom Fries to me. No big deal. Who cares?"

You child.

He’s either unserious or an asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

That's yet to be determined. Let us know when one of those excellent right wing spawns of yours signs to play somewhere. Hopefully they don't lose out to one of those scary trans kids.

I’m not right wing pal. My kids know how much I despise Trump. Talk about it regularly. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not right wing pal. My kids know how much I despise Trump. Talk about it regularly. 

How about Allred and Cruz?

Do you recall questions about @Brisketexan ever being a Republican?.

You're going to have to work hard to distance from your past positions. I recommend reading lots of Rick Wilson. And some Frum. 

What was the final straw with Trump? When did you turn?

49 minutes ago, safe sex said:

It's not about switching votes; it's about scaring people to the polls.

FFS, Dixon, here in Texas they want to revert everyone who has had their gender marker changed on their driver's license and they want to KEEP A LIST of everyone who applies to have their gender marker changed. This has all happened within the last two months. And now Cruz is campaigning solely on transphobia.

"Awww, gee, I just don't see how this affects anyone's life or rights. Seems just like Freedom Fries to me. No big deal. Who cares?"

You child.

Just jumping in, not to @ you

To me it comes down to giving rights, autonomy and dignity to a small but large enough community to deserve full attention. The right to choose gender and how one is addressed and perceived. The right to dress as you want, pee where you feel most comfortable and to be addressed how you prefer. Pretty simple that takes priority to secondary rights. 

The collateral damage of that is occasionally, like one in a 100,000 some transitioned male takes one scholarship?

I'll take that everyday versus the repression that leads to misery, depression and suicide. Leave kids some lattitude to decide thier own lives. Stop terrorising kids.Stop being assholes.

And this is a very complicated and nuanced discussion that I'm not am expert on; maybe let people and thier doctor decide. Why are people with zero knowledge about this issue so wrapped in policy. Stay in your Lane 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I certainly hope that you're right, but you can't tell me that you haven't noticed the ridiculous influx of trans people (and LGTBQ+ in general) being mentioned in casual conversation/jokes among your friends, family, and social circles over the past few years. In my experience, from like zero ever to damn near every single right-leaning person I know finding a way to squeeze it into otherwise polite conversation. Sure, some were already MAGA adjacent, but a few (usually ones with kids) were seemingly "radicalized" largely because of the angry, fear-based messaging about schools making kids trans and widespread grooming that they're being fed from TV, podcasts, and politicians.

And, again, this thread, ostensibly about sports, only exists because of that. You know, the OP where state governments pressured their universities to forfeit to make this a story this--and only this--year.

My aggie homie posted a meme of himself as a trans person drinking bud lite. Many lols and likes. The whole deal sucks. 45 taking our once okay state down with him for no reason. Our state should stand on its own  and on the shoulders of past leaders, we get carpet baggers with cheap double knits. They spit on thier own floors, I never understood that. Thier own floors.

17 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I get it. Can't possibly make everybody happy. I'm just skeptical of those 2 or 5 or 10's actual discomfort in truly gray area cases. Will the issue be them or their parents?

If you ask me - and im here to present my opinion, not someone elses - the competitors are the one with the highest stake.  The decisions of parents should be given as much weight as ours: near 0.  They're especially irrelevant when talking college+ athletes.

How one claims they feel or decide to present isn't qualifying to change sporting categories (how would it be controlled?).

The biology underlies the current day status quo. If the argument is to be made on biology, is it measurements? which measurements? physical surgery? age of transition? What rules might you propose that is robust against exploitation? The burden of proof belongs to those wanting to change the status quo.

13 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

If you think that, then you're following for the same schtick. There are two distinct issues:

(1) What is a reasonable way for a sport to handle this situation

And 

(2) Why is this situation being elevated to national importance. 

I think overall this thread has had reasonable discussion on #1. 

#2 is clearly bigotry. That's all it is. It is part and parcel of claims that the gays and transgenders are molesting and grooming children. It is fear mongering designed to get idiots worked up about something that has a near 0% chance of affecting them and that quite frankly they never cared about before (women's athletics).

We can have a polite discussion about #1. But the truth about #2 should undeniable to any truly unbiased person. 

#2 undeniably exists in the world, but why is it constantly being pulled in this thread to taint those trying to talk about #1.

the moralizing tactic of "you dont watch volleyball, why do you have an opinion? only bad people talk about it" is not polite discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

#2 undeniably exists in the world, but why is it constantly being pulled in this thread to taint those trying to talk about #1.

the moralizing tactic of "you dont watch volleyball, why do you have an opinion? only bad people talk about it" is not polite discussion.

Because this topic is not brought in good faith. It's another front in the culture war against those that the right would rather not exist.