Wyoming forfeits Volleyball matchup with San Jose State

Iceman

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

CBS Austin ran the same story. There is nothing out there contradicting the account of the incident. 

https://cbsaustin.com/amp/news/nation-world/volleyball-player-injured-after-transgender-opponent-spiked-ball-at-her-speaks-out

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They ran the same story everyone else did: a retroactive account strictly from Payton’s point of view. Maybe I’m jaded, but I, personally, find it hard to believe that in the year 2022, a transgender high school student could go around partially paralyzing blonde high school athletes in a county that Trump won by 40 points and there be absolutely zero public discussion for over 7 months.

They ran the same story because both are Sinclair owned stations. This was not an independent call. It is part of Sinclair's right wing propaganda to continue this culture war and persecute transgendered individuals. It isn't a new source. It is the exact same source with the exact same story. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

Despite effort to taint the concept of “segregation” with racial-discrimination, we still know its a good thing in sports. 

We segregate for convenience, and to award winners. We segregate by affiliation, geography, age, etc. 

We segregate to determine the fastest runner in a company, in a club, in a school, in a district, in a league, in a state, in a country, under-13, over-55, etc.

In any decent-sized grouping of the above, theres would not be a female winner. In a global competition, eg Olympics, there will never be a single event with a female winner. Not in running, swimming, jumping, lifting, throwing, skating, skiing, surfing, anything.

Gender segregation gives access for (born) biological women to win.

And yet theres been transwomen winners at high level competition in different sports.

I think it’s reasonable to view that as unfair to the biological women. And it’s a tenable position from logic, not from bigotry or cultural zealotry. 

• Hook 'Em 6

CBS Austin ran the same story. There is nothing out there contradicting the account of the incident. 

https://cbsaustin.com/amp/news/nation-world/volleyball-player-injured-after-transgender-opponent-spiked-ball-at-her-speaks-out

Wait…you mean a Sinclair station ran a piece produced to tell a packaged story by folks fully on board with an openly stated right wing agenda? I’m shocked.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, B00M said:

I don’t know shit about that particular case, but I know that a spiked volleyball can cause whiplash and brain injury without any obvious immediate symptoms. The brain interprets sensor data (think eyes, ears) and can essentially forget how to do it due to even mild injury. You then get stuck in a negative feedback/migraine loop that only prescription medication and gradual eye/vestibular PT can break and cure, respectively. My wife spent 6 months suffering ignorant (but specialized) doctors before we found a young neurologist who just happened to know a PT that specialized in this… all due to a spiked (then deflected) volleyball. Women are more susceptible to this sort of brain injury than men. 

(This post wasn't supposed to be quoting here, but I can't delete it on Mobile)

40 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Sports is segregated for fairness to the extent that is reasonable. There is no binary division in the human population more obvious than something split ~50/50*, with observable anatomical differences, with biological functional differences, so natural that it establishes societal/behavioral differences. 

And empirically along that division for every athletic outcome ever recorded in time there is the same ranked order in performance. 

That is why males/female sports segregation exist. And within it, we let the competitors self-sort for who has more physical advantages. 

That’s the first-order segregation that should not be controversial. If your fundamental premise is well different individuals are physically advantaged over others anyway….be clear: are you suggesting to eliminate gender in sports altogether? 

If so, theres no point to continue to the real point: addressing how to fairly and respectfully treating the 1%*

I'm suggesting it is all arbitrary. Fairness isn't the issue. Allowing more people to participate is. There is recent historic precedent for women's sports being one such divider, but it is hardly the only divider we have used historically. I don't even think it is necessarily a bad divider. But I do think legislating that divider via force of government and trying to do so uniformly for all sports is a not only a misuse of government resources, but also fucking idiotic. More critically, I don't think those pushing this issue now give a god damn about women's sports but instead are doing it solely to punish a class individuals they have decided to hate. It is bigotry that drives the narrative now just like sexism drove many of the dividers are society erected between men and women and how racism drove similar dividers between blacks and whites. I'm not going to pretend that bigots are doing anything but being bigots. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, troph said:

That’s the thing it’s always the trans. Win it’s the trans, lose well you just suck, injury it’s the trans, even when it’s not. 

You should already be used to that. Win a case- the client had a great case. Lose a case- the client had a shitty lawyer. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

You should already be used to that. Win a case- the client had a great case. Lose a case- the client had a shitty lawyer. 

Except I don’t ever lose as a lawyer.  😉 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Despite effort to taint the concept of “segregation” with racial-discrimination, we still know its a good thing in sports. 

We segregate for convenience, and to award winners. We segregate by affiliation, geography, age, etc. 

We segregate to determine the fastest runner in a company, in a club, in a school, in a district, in a league, in a state, in a country, under-13, over-55, etc.

In any decent-sized grouping of the above, theres would not be a female winner. In a global competition, eg Olympics, there will never be a single event with a female winner. Not in running, swimming, jumping, lifting, throwing, skating, skiing, surfing, anything.

Gender segregation gives access for (born) biological women to win.

And yet theres been transwomen winners at high level competition in different sports.

I think it’s reasonable to view that as unfair to the biological women. And it’s a tenable position from logic, not from bigotry or cultural zealotry. 

I feel like it's become a litmus test issue for which tribe we belong in, whether we want it to or not. 

I feel like I'm inherently accused of being transphobic if I don't believe transgender women should be competing in women's sports. I guess if that's part of the definition, then I am. 

I like your point about men being the open competition. If a woman is able to compete equally with men then by all means, she should be able to do so. I don't think the problem is as much about whether she's permitted to. It's about she's not able to compete athletically with the men, so there's a separate category created for women so there can be a more competitive footing among their peers.

In theory the idea of a more nuanced categorization that isn't completely binary can have some appeal, but in practice it becomes too subjective and people get into arguments about what subjective measurement is the ideal. It's simpler to say if you're born a woman you can compete against other women. If you're not, then you're not. Absolutely there are plenty of transgender women who will not dominate their biological counterparts in athletic endeavors, but all it takes is one, unfortunately, for the whole thing to feel unfair for people who were women at birth. 

To me it feels unfair for transgender women not to be able to participate in sports when that's such an important part of our existence. But it's also unfair in my opinion for women to compete against transgender women, when the whole purpose of having women's sports in the first place was to give them an exclusivity because of the acknowledgement that it would not be a fair competition to introduce men into the equation. It's my belief if you break the seal and say it's okay for transgender women to compete under certain circumstances it can be difficult to actually argue that arbitrary line, whereas if you make the line whether someone is born as a woman or not, the line seems as clear cut as it's going to get. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

(This post wasn't supposed to be quoting here, but I can't delete it on Mobile)

I'm suggesting it is all arbitrary. Fairness isn't the issue. Allowing more people to participate is. There is recent historic precedent for women's sports being one such divider, but it is hardly the only divider we have used historically. I don't even think it is necessarily a bad divider. But I do think legislating that divider via force of government and trying to do so uniformly for all sports is a not only a misuse of government resources, but also fucking idiotic. More critically, I don't think those pushing this issue now give a god damn about women's sports but instead are doing it solely to punish a class individuals they have decided to hate. It is bigotry that drives the narrative now just like sexism drove many of the dividers are society erected between men and women and how racism drove similar dividers between blacks and whites. I'm not going to pretend that bigots are doing anything but being bigots. 

Everything can be construed as arbitrary. You can argue an Under-18 sports league is arbitrary because what's the real difference between that and 17.5y/18.5y weeks besides a round number. My argument its a convenient boundary to split human population. Most of the world establishes 18 as the legal age of majority separating adults vs minors.  Therefore its less arbitrary.

Gender is an ultra convenient boundary to split human population. Its a world recognized distinction within human population, separating them by half!  It's very much less arbitrary.

Don't tar that as sexism, like age brackets isn't ageism.  Neither age or gender grouping in sports is done out of spite.

You talk around the periphery of the issue. You're clear you don't like people who push the issue. But you're not clear about your own view of the issue itself: is gender segregation in elite competition a good thing?

You kinda admit coyly that yes, its a good thing, but simply it shouldnt be determind by government. Is that the right read?

16 hours ago, troph said:

I'm 49 and a late transitioner and I fit squarely within female athletics parameters, from my hormone levels and physical strength, all the way down to my red blood cell count, red blood cell size, hemoglobin concentrations which are down the middle female range (some folks claim O2 carrying capacity is a reason why trans athletes shouldn't be allowed to compete). there is a way for everyone to win here (which does require more stringent requirements on trans athletes (thank you Lia Thomas grrrr), but nah, let's make it a south park skit and a wedge issue for voters, that makes sense.

The opening responses capped by this one were strong enough to incline me not to read much further. There is something particularly cowardly about singling out such a tiny element of the citizenry for contempt and persecution. Of course, it's also about gays and lesbians without having to say it out loud. The bully goes after the smallest.

As Troph writes, there would have been a way to arbitrate this sports problem given time and proper consideration. Now, it's joke on the one hand and a dire threat to the country on the other. I cannot stop my dark and violent thoughts regarding the anti-republic party that feeds on this with unending appetite. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel like I'm inherently accused of being transphobic if I don't believe transgender women should be competing in women's sports.

To me it feels unfair for transgender women not to be able to participate in sports when that's such an important part of our existence. But it's also unfair in my opinion for women to compete against transgender women, when the whole purpose of having women's sports in the first place was to give them an exclusivity because of the acknowledgement that it would not be a fair competition to introduce men into the equation. It's my belief if you break the seal and say it's okay for transgender women to compete under certain circumstances it can be difficult to actually argue that arbitrary line, whereas if you make the line whether someone is born as a woman or not, the line seems as clear cut as it's going to get. 

Theres an annoying policing that accompanies this topic using appeal to motive ("youre a bigot") and then to emotion ("why do you want to exclude minorities"). Its surprisingly not as much on this thread, but it toxifies the ability to discuss it elsewhere.

Transgender people can participate in sports. Theres no ban against it. And in low-stakes, casual competition -- grade school, rec leagues, amateur -- who cares everybody play where they want none of you are lebron james just have fun. In elite competition like collegiate sports, professional leagues where theres real stakes on the table (money, trophies, careers), yeah absolutely use the imperfect but clearest-cut 99.9%-fair method.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t really, because such a situation will never affect my athlete daughters, but to suggest it’s not newsworthy is definitely a take. Having a poster, without any comment, neg my opinion that 90%+ of the country agrees with, is indicative of a Cunts Run Amok board. 

Your daughters aren't athletes.

I’m just confused why neither school has declared they won’t play the scheduled contest with SJSU that falls after the election

And almost every team uses male practice players. Nebraska even used one in their scrimmage to have enough players for 2 full teams. Programs have to BEG for guys to come in to practice against them 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

You kinda admit coyly that yes, its a good thing, but simply it shouldnt be determind by government. Is that the right read?

There is no reason for the government to be involved.  It's not involved in any other sport sanctioning issues.  Especially not one of this tiny magnitude.

• Hook 'Em 6

40 minutes ago, immamac said:

No one in this thread has ever watched a Wyoming or SJSC or whoever the fuck the other team is playing a single fucking volley of volleyball. 

80% of people in this thread have never even seen anything other than highlights of Olympic, Texas or other seemingly aligned fandom.

25% have maybe watched a complete match of women's volleyball

10% have watched more than 1 in a season that wasn't the final four or playoffs. 

I doubt there's even a single person who has watched the majority of the games in a season and could tell you all the players on the roster without a roster. 

Stop acting like you all give a single fuck about this. It's a non issue that none of you give a shit about and it's clickbait outrage nonsense that doesn't fucking matter and negatively impacts 10s of people in a completely benign way. 

Not everything has to turn into an example of something you think you need to fix or that is a description of the world we live in as a whole. 

Well yeah, but millions of people saw that South Park episode where Randy Savage wore a bow on head and dominated a bunch of women. This is their concern, dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, immamac said:

80% of people in this thread have never even seen anything other than highlights of Olympic, Texas or other seemingly aligned fandom.

10% have watched more than 1 in a season that wasn't the final four or playoffs. 

I doubt there's even a single person who has watched the majority of the games in a season and could tell you all the players on the roster without a roster. 

41 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hell I vet there's less than 5 who can even tell you the positions without googling it. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdgnT7fP0hSfguYnH9GZ8

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is no reason for the government to be involved.  It's not involved in any other sport sanctioning issues.  Especially not one of this tiny magnitude.

that i agree on.  its up to each organization to decide whats appropriate for their sport, subject to the pressure of their participants and customers. likewise govt shouldnt be involved in the opposite direction.

what i dont agree with -- and people tend to gloss over this part directly to their own moral conclusion -- is if people feign as if gender is irrelevant in sports..

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

that i agree on.  its up to each organization to decide whats appropriate for their sport, subject to the pressure of their participants and customers. likewise govt shouldnt be involved in the opposite direction.

what i dont agree with -- and people tend to gloss over this part directly to their own moral conclusion -- is if people feign as if gender is irrelevant in sports..

Your starting position is that gender is fixed and immutable. It’s not. There are extreme outliers that took advantage of rules created out of fear and lack of forethought. Those rules need to be changed, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a real workable solution that alleviates concerns for all.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Very few "feign" that it is irrelevant.  Hell, we've got a trans person right here on this thread that wrestles with vague notions of fairness vs. broad participation.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Nobody has said that, you’re the one glossing over shit to continue your disingenuous narrative. Troph and others have made clear that it deserves some attention and nuance when it comes to competitiveness, she’s said it multiple times. You choose to ignore it and it’s why people are rightfully inferring that you’re just one of millions of people who are using this as a pretext to simply undermine the very existence of transgendered persons.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, troph said:

I think the fact that I have outlined in three posts reasonable positions on this and I’ve received almost zero engagement from the no males in female sports is pretty fucking telling. People like this as a wedge issue, they like having an existential threat to latch on to, they like having a crusade against others. It’s the human way. Like I said, not enough good faith here to find a reasonable solution. It makes me sad. Makes me want to take a break from humanity and this place, again. 

I am finding it difficult to just watch a political world where logic, facts, and good faith carry so little weight. In fact, they're scorned by one side. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You do know all of this is happening in the context of a concerted effort (by the very fine people that you voted for) to make trans people untermensch? There are a bunch of hateful fascists pushing across their local governments and private orgs to redefine trans people as dangerous sexual deviants that are coming for your children. 

Just watch a fucking football game, your man cruz has one of those ads every goddamn quarter. 

This shit isn't happening in a vacuum 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, troph said:

I think the fact that I have outlined in three posts reasonable positions on this and I’ve received almost zero engagement from the no males in female sports is pretty fucking telling. 

You did have reasonable takes on it.  I felt like this post below was pretty close to what you said.  I know there are likely differences in how you all would handle the more competitive ages/sports but common ground on rec, early youth, etc.  52-80 may have even been less restrictive than your post as it appears they don't even care about HS level competition.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Transgender people can participate in sports. Theres no ban against it. And in low-stakes, casual competition -- grade school, rec leagues, amateur -- who cares everybody play where they want none of you are lebron james just have fun. In elite competition like collegiate sports, professional leagues where theres real stakes on the table (money, trophies, careers), yeah absolutely use the imperfect but clearest-cut 99.9%-fair method.

No one in this thread has ever watched a Wyoming or SJSC or whoever the fuck the other team is playing a single fucking volley of volleyball. 
Stop acting like you all give a single fuck about this. It's a non issue that none of you give a shit about and it's clickbait outrage nonsense that doesn't fucking matter and negatively impacts 10s of people in a completely benign way. 
Not everything has to turn into an example of something you think you need to fix or that is a description of the world we live in as a whole. 

Slorch'd
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Please point to the members of this board that are doing that, since it is so concerning for you.

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

You did have reasonable takes on it.  I felt like this post below was pretty close to what you said.  I know there are likely differences in how you all would handle the more competitive ages/sports but common ground on rec, early youth, etc.  52-80 may have even been less restrictive than your post as it appears they don't even care about HS level competition.

His other posts make it clear 99.99% fair is a complete ban. 99.99% fair empirically would mean inclusion but that’s not his position. If I’m wrong about his position, then I’m happy to be corrected.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

His other posts make it clear 99.99% fair is a complete ban. If I’m wrong then I’m happy to be corrected. 

I hope you take my posts the right way. I'm saying this particular thread topic is irrelevant to most everyone. I'm pretty sure we have a thread for discussing the topic of transgender athletes and participation somewhere and it's not this thread. I'm not saying that the opinions or discussion is unwarranted or unwelcomed I'm saying this particular thread about a forfeit volleyball game doesn't make a fuck. 

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

My daughter is a 4X Jr Olympian T&F athlete and runs for a competitive 5A Texas high school. My son has been going to USA Swimming ladder meets all over the state since he was 8 and swims for the same high school. I've never seen a trans athlete in 10 years of track and swim meets, but I have had numerous people who have never been to a meet telling me what a huge problem it is. 

You are just not opening your eyes man. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Meanwhile - another school forfeited playing them (so now, Wyoming, Southern Utah, Boise State and Utah State). 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/fourth-school-joins-wave-women-s-volleyball-19812157.php

Creating a fucking schedule imbalance within the MWC, but with realignment, does the MWC have the balls to make these schools forfeit their conference seasons without pissing them off enough to leave?  

Utah St is the only one of the 4 bitchass schools and San Jose who even has a chance of making the NCAAT without an auto-bid

UNLV said fuck all that, we playing.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Purely from a strategy standpoint, any single player that can result in 4 automatic wins seems like a good investment.

That's exactly right. They used their big brain go ensure they are going to win the conference. Then they can take the show on the road and get everyone else to forfeit or cower in the shadows of this incredible player who everyone knows the name of. Household name, legendary athlete, so good at volleyball that all the opponents forfeit because they know they never had a chance to begin with. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

This is why I said you don't have athletes. If your volleyball player was any good AT ALL they would be playing on a travel club team and thus playing tournaments all over the country. At the very least they would be playing tournaments in Texas that also had teams that traveled to Texas to compete. 

This whole "I don't have to worry about it because Texas" shit is laughable. You don't have to worry because there are only 3 trans players in the entire US out of 5k D1 players. Last year my kid played Tour of Texas 1&2(Dallas &Austin), Triple Crown(Kansas City), Pacific NW qualifier(Spokane), Red Rock Rave(Vegas), Far Western qualifier(Reno), Windy City Qualifier(Chicago), Lone Star Classic(Dallas) and Girls Junior Nationals. You know what we didn't see or care about? Trans players. But at each one of those tournaments there will be teams from out of state. 

Most kids don't really care about this. The parents do and usually are using it as a political wedge issue. No one cared about this girl until it was an election year. She's been around 4 years now. Also, 15 kills is hard to have when you are an outside hitter(the person that gets the ball the most) in a 5 set match. Even if you say most matches go 4 sets that works out to be less than 4 kills a set. The girl has won player of the week yet and doesn't even have the highest hitting percentage at her position on her own team much less the conference. Do better.

She plays on a travel team all over the country. My daughters are very long and fast and springy. Appreciate your presumptions. You should type longer posts. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Creating a fucking schedule imbalance within the MWC, but with realignment, does the MWC have the balls to make these schools forfeit their conference seasons without pissing them off enough to leave?  

Utah St is the only one of the 4 bitchass schools and San Jose who even has a chance of making the NCAAT without an auto-bid

UNLV said fuck all that, we playing.

UNLV got smoked. They didn't even get a single point and the superstar player spiked every single ball and injured all their players. UNLV now can't play volleyball in conference because they don't have enough players who can play without the fear paralyzing them from the traumatic experience of being so utterly and helplessly dominated by the great San Jose Community School volleyball team. 

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

It is so ridiculous this is an issue. And I was told this wasn’t an issue. A fabricated deal. Glad that 25 (26 I thought) states have barred males from participating in women’s sports. Glad my daughters and I live in Texas. 

Fewer health care resources, bounties on their head < women sports.    Great priorities man.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

weird.

i don't understand how or why this is the next political culture war.

but it is both of those things - a political issue and a culture war.

so i'm moving it to cloak room.

for my honest take - i had this come up in a personal capacity relatively recently (guess it was around the time of the olympics) from an older male. i shrugged and said "where is this happening?" his answer was some high school or some shit, but let's go ahead and apply my answer here:

so fucking what. 

this is not a big issue. yall can elephant walk your way all the way to an outrage, i guess, but that still means you're interested in someone else's junk. which is weird to me. but whatever.

You see, the right is extremely concerned about maintaining fairness in contests.

• Haha 7