24/25 Astros Offseason thread

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

So Bregmans are pregnant with kid 2.  

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So…he’ll start to finally warm up in late May and then go on the paternity list for a week and have to start all over again. 

Some other team's problem now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas loses in humiliating fashion in the biggest home game we've played in at least 15 years

Interest rates up 3/4 of a point since the fed lowered the rate last month when everyone thought it was going to get better

Yankees and Dodgers playing for a World Series title after we lost in 2 to the Tigers. 

Kill me now.  I hate sports ball. I hate life.  I mean- not really- but wish I had not gotten out of bed today, I think.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So let me tell you how petty I am.

These are screenshots from Pena's instagram. Personally i have an issue with this fucker wearing that hat. I am not even sure if it is a Brooklyn Dodgers hat or an alternate Red Sox hat, but fuck it either way. Why the hell are you wearing a logo o another baseball team? Wear nike, or heb, or fuckstick academy, or even new england patriots i don't give a shit. But wearing another baseball team just rubs me the wrong way.

And if it is Brooklyn Dodgers then ok I get it old team, jackie robinson blah blah blah....IT IS STILL THE FUCKING DODGERS MAN.

4e423d9b0c9374e60eb017ab7aacfbd9.jpgcc27db43fd3f94f649d607db9fe83263.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

So let me tell you how petty I am.

These are screenshots from Pena's instagram. Personally i have an issue with this fucker wearing that hat. I am not even sure if it is a Brooklyn Dodgers hat or an alternate Red Sox hat, but fuck it either way. Why the hell are you wearing a logo o another baseball team? Wear nike, or heb, or fuckstick academy, or even new england patriots i don't give a shit. But wearing another baseball team just rubs me the wrong way.

And if it is Brooklyn Dodgers then ok I get it old team, jackie robinson blah blah blah....IT IS STILL THE FUCKING DODGERS MAN.

4e423d9b0c9374e60eb017ab7aacfbd9.jpgcc27db43fd3f94f649d607db9fe83263.jpg

I wish he wore an Orioles cap all the time. Because that means my pipe dream of him going to Baltimore for Gunnar Henderson after the 2022 season would have come true.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 straight days without baseball so how about an Altuve 3000 hits check in?

I think I jinxed him in early September or whenever it was I said he had an outside shot at 200 hits for the first time since 2017.  He still finished 2024 with 185, his most hits in a season since then.  His career total is 2232. 

If he averages 154 per season through the end of this contract in 2029, he'll have 3002 hits.  It will all depend on injuries.

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Unless his BB/K rates improve from last season, I don't think there is anyway he reaches 3K. 

How do you mean?  That will hurt his value as an offensive player but for racking up hits, less walks is beneficial.  The K rate jumped up in 2023 but stayed the same in 2024.  His babip was .337, above his career average.  The K rate climbing above 20% and the babip falling as he loses speed and infield hits would be the warning signs but if he can play 140-150 games per year I think he'll get there.  He's never averaged below 1.1 hit per game played in a full season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Unless his BB/K rates improve from last season, I don't think there is anyway he reaches 3K. 
He will end his career with most hits in Astros history as long as he plays 140+ games a year the rest of this contract.

154 hits aint shit for him. Especially when that avg will lower when he hits another 175 next season.

Its all about health
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

How do you mean?  That will hurt his value as an offensive player but for racking up hits, less walks is beneficial.  The K rate jumped up in 2023 but stayed the same in 2024.  His babip was .337, above his career average.  The K rate climbing above 20% and the babip falling as he loses speed and infield hits would be the warning signs but if he can play 140-150 games per year I think he'll get there.  He's never averaged below 1.1 hit per game played in a full season.

Striking out limits his chances for hits, he is obviously starting the decline portion of his career. If he K rate continues to trend like it did last season, those are a lot of PAs where he doesn't get a hit. There's also the possibility that he completely falls off the cliff like Abreu did, and not being able to control the strike zone contribues to that.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Yeah if he completely washes out quickly he won't get there.  Not everyone ages the same.

Totally agree, but I think of the hidden metrics of K/BB rates as a part of that aging. I think Altuve established himself as a supserstar in 2014. Since then, the difference between his K and BB rates has averaged 5.65. Last year it was 10.5, the only other year it was that bad was the 2020 Covid season. That was also the highest K rate of his career at 18.6, last year it was 17.4.  It might not matter, but I don't think it is a sustainable track to reach 3K.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I read an article today that mentioned Teoscar to the Astros for 3-$71M. Had a career year at 33 for the Dodgers, everyday LF. I don't hate it. Dana Brown was in the Toronto organization when they traded for him.

add profar too

dump chas, meyers to #4

• Like 1

The Astros have officially announced the coaches for the 2025 season. 

Tony Perezchica has been hired as third base and infield coach/run prevention coordinator, to replace Gary Pettis.

Joe Espada: Manager
Omar Lopez: Bench Coach
Dave Clark: First Base
Tony Perezchica: Third Base
Alex Cintron: Hitting Coach
Troy Snitker: Hitting Coach
Josh Miller: Pitching Coach
Bill Murphy: Pitching Coach
Jason Bell: Now major league coordinator/outfield coach
Michael Collins: Catching coach
Tommy Kawamura: Game planning coach

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

add profar too

dump chas, meyers to #4

Profar can't play CF, that would leave you without a real CF. Unless you trade Tucker and get a CF back in the deal.

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Astros have officially announced the coaches for the 2025 season. 

Tony Perezchica has been hired as third base and infield coach/run prevention coordinator, to replace Gary Pettis.

Joe Espada: Manager
Omar Lopez: Bench Coach
Dave Clark: First Base
Tony Perezchica: Third Base
Alex Cintron: Hitting Coach
Troy Snitker: Hitting Coach
Josh Miller: Pitching Coach
Bill Murphy: Pitching Coach
Jason Bell: Now major league coordinator/outfield coach
Michael Collins: Catching coach
Tommy Kawamura: Game planning coach

Cintron and Snitker mean the same shitty offensive approach.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

throw away at bats from abreu, CF and LF. no tucker for most the season. we did pretty damn good with a sub par roster

hopefully more even production at 1st. anthing out of CF and LF. Room for improvement from all 

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.46.22.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.47.04.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.47.45.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.48.17.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.49.00.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.49.27.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 18.50.03.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

11th in runs scored

3rd in GIDP

21st in SBs.

27th in BBs

If they didn't hit HRs the Astros struggled to score, because as good as their average was they were a mediorce abysmal base running team. Only the Angels and Yankees were worse, but the Yankees hit 47 more HRs and walked 224 more times than the Astros.

Edited by HtownHorn

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

Altuve has the option of going back to being a slap hitter in his later years which he was already once very good at being.  That's a plus in his favor of slowing the decline down.

Great. Just what we need.

Altuve on the bases more often instead of rounding them.

one problem with having a team with mediocre power is we never fucking stole bases.  If you are going to suck at power you better be able to steal bags consistently, especially with players like Pena.  That fucking tool should be running every single time he gets on 1st base like all the top base stealers are doing.  He has the 11th best sprint speed (really like 5th when it comes to the number).....Ohtani is fucking 174th (29.8 to 28.1)  and has almost 60 steals.  Pena stole 20 fucking bags.    

Meyers is our 2nd "fastest" guy (28.9) and stole 11...hell Tucker (26.0) is slow as fuck compared to these guys and stole 11 in his shortened season 

Jeremy Pena should have no less than 40 steals per season at this point where they have made it easier to steal.  

• Hook 'Em 3