Emergency Alert - EXTREME THREAT WTF

rage-a-holic

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sorry, best we can do is get him to run for higher office, which he will easily win, because "BACK THE BLUE!"

Well, he is stepping down ar the end of the year so I would guess that’s the next step.

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

How do we go about getting the cocksucker responsible for this fired?

You mean this guy?

Skipping Rick Perry GIF by Dancing with the Stars

On August 18th, 2008, Governor Rick Perry signed Executive Order RP-68, creating the state's Blue Alert program.

I find it humorous that the URL source for this is under "intelligence" -- for many reasons.

Also "counterterrorism," for many additional reasons.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/intelligence-counterterrorism/blue-alert

• Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, royiv said:

Amber Hagerman. Kidnapped and murdered in the DFW area sometime in the 90’s.

Just a weird side note, the apartment complex where they found her next to was a well known party spot in the area during the summer.  Pool was open to everyone, whatever beer and booze. Music cranking. Openly weed and blow by the pool.  Playing water volleyball all day.  More than likely some titties coming out, and maybe a fight.

RIP

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

So every Texan had their phone blown up this morning because some white dude is "suspected in violence against a Texas law enforcement officer". In Memphis TX, which is almost 450 miles away from me.

The only emergency alert I leave turned on in my phone is for "Extreme Threats to Life and Property". 

This is not that, you stupid fucking assholes.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2024/10/04/blue-alert-issued-for-man-suspected-in-violence-against-texas-law-enforcement/

Is this why my phone was blowing up at like 5 AM this morning?!?!!

we have had several of these crack of dawn wake up the entire state for no fucking reason alerts and they have all come from way west of the I-35 corridor

this feels like a gubbermint geofence implementation problem

also, if your phone is on silent, you get the "message" but without the F5 warning squawk

i put my phone on silent when i crash

if i miss the alert on the inbound russian nukes, i die in my sleep

if i miss the 10km asteroid we somehow missed (don't look up!) i get a few more minutes of sleep before i die

everyone else can wait until coffee

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Sanders said:

This might be a dumb question but are silver and blue alerts named after colors because the person that coined them think Amber was a color instead of a person?

And don't get me started on Clear Alerts.  They use those for everybody between Amber and Silver.  But the name "Clear" makes it sounds like everything is OK.  I think, Oh good, they found the person.  All clear. 

6 minutes ago, SameSame said:

We have 5 people in our home with phones and two Apple watches.  We heard it and heard about it. 

And by the way, yes I am turning off all settings on every device in the home today.

They can blow up the Pope for all I care.  We’re not doing this stupid shit again like this morning.

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

You mean this guy?

Skipping Rick Perry GIF by Dancing with the Stars

I find it humorous that the URL source for this is under "intelligence" -- for many reasons.

Also "counterterrorism," for many additional reasons.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/intelligence-counterterrorism/blue-alert

That’s gotta be the first time any aggy has scored a W on me.  Well played, Rick.

christian bale GIF

35 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

Therewasone?.gif

I slept through the alert and would’ve slept through the cop getting shot inside my bedroom. Team Deep Sleep.

That’s me too. We are on vacation this week though so the only alarm would be about a crazy moose or other moose related activities. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we have had several of these crack of dawn wake up the entire state for no fucking reason alerts and they have all come from way west of the I-35 corridor

this feels like a gubbermint geofence implementation problem

They have the ability to ping specific cell phone towers, and they've done that with weather alerts.  The could have pinged all of the towers within 20 miles of there.

But do you think they care?  The guy was last seen at 11pm, and so rather than wait until 6am or 7am, they are going to wake everybody up and let everybody know that one of their own was injured.

The suspect has now recently been spotted in Far West and is heading south towards Circle C. He was last seen with a handful of Apple Watches and iPhones. Suspect is suspicious looking and has a penchant for buggary and snatching apple products off of unsuspecting people. 

2 hours ago, SameSame said:

And by the way, yes I am turning off all settings on every device in the home today.

They can blow up the Pope for all I care.  We’re not doing this stupid shit again like this morning.

Blowing up the Pope would spare some boys from being molested.

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just wanted yall to note…notice how there hasn’t been any apology or responsibility taken by law enforcement, even as a full day has gone by? That’s how little they think of you. Remember that.

They are too busy not catching the dude.

He's going to turn up in a culvert about 50 feet from where they last spotted him.

Holy shit, the arrogance.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/alert-heard-around-the-state-most-important-thing-to-know-emergency-alerts/500-5ce02f5d-eff7-4536-b17c-06da45b93f11

Alerts like these are supposed to be sent out between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., so what made this one the exception? The urgency of the situation is what made this different. 

6 News spoke to Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Bryan Washko about how residents here in Central Texas can help officers when it comes to emergency alerts.

"You know that if it was your child, if it was your loved one, your elderly grandparent or a family member that was clearly in danger, you definitely would want the 32 million Texans to give you a hand in looking out for those people," Washko told 6 News. "Try to remember the first three characters [of the license plate] because you got to think these people that are out there are passing tens of thousands of people on our highway, and it just takes that one person who remembered."

Washko knows that alarms like this can be annoying but wants to remind everyone that there are ways they can help law enforcement. 

Now, what everyone wants to know, how to turn off the alarm. Here are the steps:

Androids:

Settings>Notifications>Wireless emergency alerts>turn off

iPhones:

Settings>Notifications>scroll to emergency alerts>turn off emergency alerts

If something happened to a family member in Houston, I don't expect somebody in fucking Amarillo to be able to do anything about it.

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The arrogance.

Seriously…is ANYONE here surprised? “Fuck you, we’re cops, we’re more important than all of you, peasants.”
That’s it. That’s their entire ethos.

A cop got killed and an alert went out.  Anybody else gets murdered pretty sure we are all not getting an alert.  And look anybody getting murdered ain't a good thing, it's the notion that because it happened to be a cop it's somehow more important than every other one that chaps my ass.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

So the cops want us to do their job for them?

No. Allegedly the cops found a dude burgling some shit, and they did what most here think cops don’t do and actually tried to effect some good in their community and arrest aforementioned burglar of shit. Burgle bro decided he didn’t have the time for piggy shenanigans and started blasting. Head Hog gets hit with enough lead from burgle bro (or other cop, holla Goines and HPD!) to warrant a get to tha choppa ride. Once dust settles enough that Roscoe P Coltrane can identify who shot Boss Hog, alert goes out because general consensus is anyone that burgles stuff then shoots cops is someone that feels not much left to lose and thus is quite possibly a danger to anyone in his path. People mad they weren’t smart enough to turn those alerts off years ago.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No. Allegedly the cops found a dude burgling some shit, and they did what most here think cops don’t do and actually tried to effect some good in their community and arrest aforementioned burglar of shit. Burgle bro decided he didn’t have the time for piggy shenanigans and started blasting. Head Hog gets hit with enough lead from burgle bro (or other cop, holla Goines and HPD!) to warrant a get to tha choppa ride. Once dust settles enough that Roscoe P Coltrane can identify who shot Boss Hog, alert goes out because general consensus is anyone that burgles stuff then shoots cops is someone that feels not much left to lose and thus is quite possibly a danger to anyone in his path. People mad they weren’t smart enough to turn those alerts off years ago.

Yeah because millions of Texans who live hundreds of miles away were in danger of this guy and "in his path"... on foot... in the panhandle... at 4:53am... 5 hours after the incident happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Cop defender has logged in

Yeah because millions of Texans who live hundreds of miles away were in danger of this guy and "in his path"... on foot... in the panhandle... at 4:53am... 5 hours after the incident happened. 

I mean,I highly doubt he stayed afoot for much longer after the incident occurred. I also highly doubt they had him identified and then waited 5 hours to push that information out; rather it took them that long to identify him and then went public with it. I’m sure it takes a lot of hard police work to identify who in the sprawling metropolis of Memphis would do such a thing.

7 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

Therewasone?.gif

I slept through the alert and would’ve slept through the cop getting shot inside my bedroom. Team Deep Sleep.

Yea I had my phone on silent but I still think the alert goes off usually but I don’t remember a thing so I probably turned that shit off in my sleep.  Just slighty worried I don’t remember anything about the alert nudging me at all and I didn’t even drink anything last night…

Edited by Hook1997

iPhones:
Settings>Notifications>scroll to emergency alerts>turn off emergency alerts
I can get to "Notifications" on my iPhone but there is no "emergency alerts" option under it.  

It is at the very bottom. Scroll down, past the notifications settings for all of your apps and it is at the very bottomc1ef9636c68317448d2aba8b9f7f61ab.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1