Smart Rx Assist-- Legit?

OK, I take a couple of cancer meds, Keytruda and Lenvima. At the moment I don't have to pay anything for the Keytruda. I do pay about 9-10 thou/year for Lenvima but whatchagonnadoo.

Viva Health insurance sent me a letter telling me about how I can get copay assistance if I sign up for Smart Rx Assist. Smart Rx Assist calls up a day or two later offering to sign me up for assistance with Keytruda. I say I wanna talk to my wife first bc she has various tricksy payment things set up already. Plus I'm pretty sure my Keytruda is covered.

Today, my oncology office calls up saying they got some weird message from a third party concerning assistance for my Keytruda bills, which are $0. I let em know I didn't sign up for anything nor did I sign anything.

This last bit sounded odd, and got me wondering how legit Smart Rx Assist is. I am sure they get $ if they sign me up. I wonder if they are going about it Wells-Fargo checking account style.

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm confused. If you don't pay anything for Keytruda why are you trying to get copay assistance for it?

I'm not. This Smart Rx entity showed up, may have contacted my doctor's office, and I am afeared they could foul up a good thing.

@RDCanecutter Is keytruda an infusion service received at a clinic? If so, they could be why there isn’t a drug copay since your copay is actually an copay to your doctor for services. 

Are you paying high amounts to the doctor each year? This could be what SmartRx assist will assist with. Might be worth following through on this. Of course if you hit your overall out-of-pocket max regardless, it might not matter other than delaying the max threshold until later in the year.

The only 0.001% chance that I would worry is could the process lead to the keytruda infusion being rejected by your insurance as not necessary based on new information. I’m not saying this could happen but I would ask the doctors business manager about their experience with smart Rx.

Warning. I’m just some guy on the internet and don’t work in health insurance or with doctor offices so don’t take my thoughts as gospel.

good luck on your health.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The only 0.001% chance that I would worry is could the process lead to the keytruda infusion being rejected by your insurance as not necessary based on new information.

100% this. The way things are set up now, I get the drugs I need and the yearly co-pay ends up being the same whether it hits me early or late in the year.

I'll see the doc next week and maybe we'll get this sorted out in person. The good thing is that maybe we'll be talking about insurance details instead of a third eye growing on my elbow.

9 hours ago, Handcruser said:

All I know is someone is trying to make money off your bad luck and they don’t care if you get fucked in the process.

I'll see my doc next week, and do whatever she says to do. That method's gotten me 6 years of overtime.