The Wild Robot

Didn’t see a thread on this; I took my younger daughter last night at it was fantastic. Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon) directs and you get Lupita Nyongo, Mark Hamil, Pedro Pascale, Ving Rhames, and Catherine O’Hara in voice roles. 

This is really the first Dreamworks animation movie that rivals (and surpasses) the best of Pixar in appeal for adults and animation quality IMO. It’s not quite as good as their absolute best like Wall-E. At some moments you forget you’re watching computer and not hand-painted.  

Just a great movie all around, even older kids will really like it and every adult in the theatre loved it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My family went to this last weekend and we saw it in 4D (interactive bouncy seats that spray water and smoke +3D) and everyone had a good time.   I am not sure we will do 4D again, but for this movie it worked.   Pretty well done, though they did stray from the books a bit.  

While we have yet to see the Wild Robot, when I've taken my kid to see other movies and I saw this preview, I was like, this movie is gonna mess me up when we watch it. The previews gave me a Bambi feel. Hopefully it's not too brutal. The movie looks great though.

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw it this week. This was a beautiful film! I hope they have at least one more Wild Robot movie. The story was cool and it really drove home some positive things for both kids and adults to take from it. The animation was just ridiculously good as well. If you have kids definitely take them to watch this.

51 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

While we have yet to see the Wild Robot, when I've taken my kid to see other movies and I saw this preview, I was like, this movie is gonna mess me up when we watch it. The previews gave me a Bambi feel. Hopefully it's not too brutal. The movie looks great though.

It’s not that brutal but there are plenty of moments. 

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We saw it today. Really really good. Reminded me of Iron Giant. Maybe more movies like this and less sequels and prequels...looking at you, f'ing Disney. 

Iron giant was what I kept thinking of although really different movies. Robots looked similar.

I thought it was good but not great. Kung Fu Panda (should have taken the Oscar over Wall-E. Fight me) is the best dreamworks movie and this wasn’t quite at that level but it was better than 99% of things geared towards kids

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

We saw it today. Really really good. Reminded me of Iron Giant. Maybe more movies like this and less sequels and prequels...looking at you, f'ing Disney. 

Watching Ducktales with my kids.   It is sad how that show has better writing and acting that the Acolyte and is more exciting.  

Took son for fall break. I hid my tear when the goose flew away with the flock. Pissed me off that I got emotional there. 

Also saw transformers and was pleasantly surprised with the origin story. I expected to hate it but it wasn't bad. Not perfect but better than expected.