Tennessee @ Arkansas - ABC (NOT CBS)

ztejas

18 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I was there in person, in Longhorn Band, in the other end zone.  It was real and it was spectacular.

It was a perfect day for football.  Sunny but cool with a little breeze.  We put "God Bless the USA" in our halftime show so we wouldn't get booed.  Everyone stood up when we started playing it.  We didn't get booed.

On the last play, the middle opened up.  I could see a straight empty path from the QB all the way to ... really no one ... just the back of the end zone.  On the throw, Jones came out of nowhere and got crushed at the same time the ball got there.  We had no idea what had happened until he stood up and started pumping his fist and the stadium just went silent.

We jumped around for a while and eventually played Texas Fight and the Eyes of Texas.  The director told us that going to the buses right now was a bad idea so we should just stay and play.  So we played full blast for about fifteen minutes to an empty stadium.

We went outside to the buses.  While we were loading, this old guy with a plastic hog hat came over.  He said "That is IT!  I QUIT!  I am never ever coming back to this place.  Who wants my hat?"  My friend said "I'll take it!" and wore it on the bus all the way back to Austin.

That's awesome.  If you switched flights in Dallas, I may have given you a high five.  I was about 10.  Listened to the game on the radio.  Eric Metcalf was my first favorite player.  Anyway, it just so happened that my mom was flying back from New Orleans that evening.  We went to pick her up and saw a bunch of folks coming back from the game.  I know for a fact some of them were cheerleaders because I distinctly recall getting fuzzy when one of the hotties gave me five.  I believe there were others (band?) that were part of Texas' official contingent.  That was the day I knew I was going to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's awesome.  If you switched flights in Dallas, I may have given you a high five.  I was about 10.  Listened to the game on the radio.  Eric Metcalf was my first favorite player.  Anyway, it just so happened that my mom was flying back from New Orleans that evening.  We went to pick her up and saw a bunch of folks coming back from the game.  I know for a fact some of them were cheerleaders because I distinctly recall getting fuzzy when one of the hotties gave me five.  I believe there were others (band?) that were part of Texas' official contingent.  That was the day I knew I was going to Texas.

Would have loved to have been at the airport but in the 80's Longhorn Band travelled by bus if the full band was going.  We did go through Dallas that night but we were at some bus depot near downtown in the middle of the night for a few hours waiting for new drivers.  However I will tell you a story about LHB on a plane...

We got invited to the 1989 Inaugural Parade in DC and we were first in line, because GHWB was from Texas and we were from Texas.  The Aggie Band was about three groups behind us.  We were looking at a long bus trip until some unknown Texas alum rented a DC-10 for us.  We had to get approval from the mayor to fly out of the old airport in the middle of the night.

We flew to Dulles, landed, went to a parade practice and then headed for our first tourist stop.  Arlington National Cemetery.  We parked right beside the Aggie Band.  We got off and started talking.  One Aggie said "That was a rough trip.  Two days on the bus.  I am so happy to be off the *$^$ bus.  How 'bout y'all?"  One of our guys responded with "Man, that sounds rough .... We flew in this morning."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Felt Tennessee letting Arkansas score was a bonehead move.  There was 1:22 on the clock and the had 2 timeouts.  If Arkansas ran the clock down as much as they could with a backup QB (no guarantee) and made the FG with their backup kicker (no guarantee), Tennessee would still get the ball back with :25-:35 seconds left and has a great kicker.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Felt Tennessee letting Arkansas score was a bonehead move.  There was 1:22 on the clock and the had 2 timeouts.  If Arkansas ran the clock down as much as they could with a backup QB (no guarantee) and made the FG with their backup kicker (no guarantee), Tennessee would still get the ball back with :25-:35 seconds left and has a great kicker.

No guarantee they’d have held Arkansas to a field goal. They were getting gashed. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

No guarantee they’d have held Arkansas to a field goal. They were getting gashed. 

No guarantee Arky scores because there's no guarantee the backup QB doesn't fumble a snap on the next play or the the center snaps a ground ball from nerves or holder bobbles the snap on a FG try. What was guaranteed by Tenner is they had to go score a TD with a freshman QB in a hostile road environment in a minute. Just like with aggy, you always have to give Arky the chance to drop the pop up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gernblansten said:

No guarantee Arky scores because there's no guarantee the backup QB doesn't fumble a snap on the next play or the the center snaps a ground ball from nerves or holder bobbles the snap on a FG try. What was guaranteed by Tenner is they had to go score a TD with a freshman QB in a hostile road environment in a minute. Just like with aggy, you always have to give Arky the chance to drop the pop up.

No, there are go guarantees, but reasonable people play the odds rather than hope for unlikely scenarios all to align in their favor. 

Expecting field goal range, let alone making it, in 30 seconds with no timeouts and that same freshman QB isn’t a guarantee, either.

If I trusted my backup kicker, I’d have told my offense to drain clock — the pig QB was doing a good job of that, unless I’m misremembering — and not to score that quickly. 

I bought tickets for our game in Fayette-nam, so I now get marketing shit from Arky football.  Got an email today where they are trying to sell 6 in. sections of the goalpost from this game for $500.  Guess they are trying to raise money for the fine.

Shonda Rhimes GIF by NETFLIX

2 hours ago, hornian said:

Why is this in the Tennessee/Arkansas thread?

My apologies, I thought the comparison between Arkansas and Vanderbilt's goalpost celebrations and subsequent fundraising opportunities would have provided sufficient inference.  I'll spell it out next time.

• Hook 'Em 2

This game was boring as hell

Ja'Qiimden Jackson didn't do shit, and Bobby has his arms all in the air worrying about this dude. He doesn't do much of anything other than trying to use his weight to move the pile. 

My god, with Bobby talking him up you would think he's the next Ced Benson

He's highly overrated, and our defense can stop him. It's not  it like Green cam hit a barn if he were locked inside. 

The only thing Arkansas brings is their hatred for Texas. Their team doesn't have the talent to keep up. But according to Bobby they're a real threat

At where? Not on offense. Not on defense. Where is this nonsense coming from? Because they were talented in the 70s? It's mind bottling. They're a bad team that we should handle quiet easily even with their toothless fans.

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

1 minute ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

This game was boring as hell

Ja'Qiimden Jackson didn't do shit, and Bobby has his arms all in the air worrying about this dude. He doesn't do much of anything other than trying to use his weight to move the pile. 

My god, with Bobby talking him up you would think he's the next Ced Benson

He's highly overrated, and our defense can stop him. It  not  it like Green van hit a barn if he were locked inside. 

The only thing Arkansas brings is their hatred for Texas. Their team doesn't have the talent to keep up. Bit according to Bobby they're a real threat

At where? Not on offense. Not on defense. Where is this nonsense coming from? Because they were talented in the 70s? It's mind bottling. They're a bad team that we should handle quiet easily even with their toothless fans.

I didn’t think it was boring at all. A game doesn’t have to be 45-42 to be exciting. There were fuckups and drama and an injured QB and lead changes. Me gusta.