Game week thread, Week 6, Red River Shootout

Wulaw Horn

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So our lowest offensive output of the year for us, and the highest any opponent has scored against us this season?

thinkin more like 37-13

It’s potentially the best O/D we’ve faced (testament to the ass offenses we’ve played thus far) and factor in the weirdness of the game so probably a safe bet. I’m not totally sold on them having a better D than Michigan though

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

We need to come out with intensity like we did 2 years ago and like Blow U did last year. Can’t let them hang around either. Their D is scrappy. I hope someone pancakes the fuck out of stutzman.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Didn’t go so great for us last year. In this game I’d rather start on D.

I doubt Sark thinks like that. He is going to want to start fast and make the freshmen QB play from behind and let Simmons introduce himself as a fellow freshman. I am sure he wasn’t happen vs MSU seeing them run 6-7 minutes off on their opening possession 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Definitely; those places look badass…

I had no idea it existed my son lives next to the one in Dallas so I googled it and there’s one 10 miles away I was like well fuck I’ll do that 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I just saw a weather forecast with a high of 96 in Dallas on Saturday. In that stadium around 4:00, it's going to feel like 126. 

It’s going to feel glorious. Good day to be in the stormtroopers. Good day for the Sooners to clear out early. Good day to be a Longhorn fan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I’ll say this:

the last time I was turbofucked out of attending this game was in 2022, when a last minute work trip bungled my plans. The result was me watching the 49-0 destruction on my phone and holding a cold pack to my turgid member to release the 3-hr erection. 

last year I was there in my seats, and we know how that went down. 

this year, I have to miss again due to some morons not knowing how to schedule a fucking wedding in this state. So if we do happen to beat the fuck out of OU again, my superstitious side would have me considering if I should attend a RRS again. 

SKIP THE WEDDING! SERIOUSLY DUDE, WTF. 

Just send them a nice card and gift and tell them you'll be there after they divorce and both get remarried. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

This. That's what did us in last year. OU had 0 TOs. We had 3.

That was my fault, guys.  I was rushing from my son's cross country meet so was not able to watch the first quarter when OU got a pick that should have been an easy TD to Sanders.  I won't let that happen on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. We walk out of Dallas with a win and I don’t care the damn score 

+1

Saint Darrell once had a press conference after a win like 10-7, and a reporter asked him if the narrow margin was a concern. His response was along the lines of "Nobody will remember you only won by three... they'll remember you won all your games."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Trivia! Casey Thompson plays for OU. Has a former starting Texas QB ever later played against us? Or even just been on the sidelines? 

Cam Rising was at Utah in 2019 during his transfer / sit out / RS year but not sure if he traveled to the Alamo Bowl 

Not a starter obv, but the only one that popped to my mind 

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NoName said:

Cam Rising was at Utah in 2019 during his transfer / sit out / RS year but not sure if he traveled to the Alamo Bowl 

Yeah that's the closest I could get. He never played here though.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

If they have to bench the QB would it be Arnold or Thompson that come in?

Thompson I’d guess. I think they are going to allow Arnold to redshirt if he wants. 

17 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I bought vip tickets to Cosm in LA to watch this on the dome. I have no idea what to think. Like last year we should mudhole them.  They don’t have a QB worth a shit. Our offense will pummel. We need the defense to show zero mercy 

Did you actually get a seat inside the dome? I looked into tix last week and only had standing room only available. Same for the Georgia game on the 19th.

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

Thompson I’d guess. I think they are going to allow Arnold to redshirt if he wants. 

If Arnold takes a redshirt -- i.e., doesn't play for the rest of the season -- seems like the natural result is a transfer.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If Arnold takes a redshirt -- i.e., doesn't play for the rest of the season -- seems like the natural result is a transfer.

Would be hilarious since they basically ran off Gabriel to ensure Arnold wouldn't transfer last year.

Or sorry, they won't ever admit they "ran off" Gabriel - it was just a super duper mutual decision to ensure their 5* freshman didn't bail after having to sit behind Gabriel for another year.  Sorry not sorry that Burnt Vegetables can't handle a QB room like Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Would be hilarious since they basically ran off Gabriel to ensure Arnold wouldn't transfer last year.

Or sorry, they won't ever admit they "ran off" Gabriel - it was just a super duper mutual decision to ensure their 5* freshman didn't bail after having to sit behind Gabriel for another year.  Sorry not sorry that Burnt Vegetables can't handle a QB room like Sark. 

To be fair, what Arch is doing at Texas is extremely uncommon these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Constant said:

To be fair, what Arch is doing at Texas is extremely uncommon these days. 

Yeah, it's really sort of a perfect storm of circumstances.  I think it'll be tougher to hold onto top QB recruits behind next year's Heisman winner Arch, after Ewers wins this year's Heisman and moves on to the NFL.

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, it's really sort of a perfect storm of circumstances.  I think it'll be tougher to hold onto top QB recruits behind next year's Heisman winner Arch, after Ewers wins this year's Heisman and moves on to the NFL.

Ha, don’t see Ewers winning the Heisman sitting at 691/8/2 right now. Miami is vastly overrated, but Ward is at 2219/20/5. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Ha, don’t see Ewers winning the Heisman sitting at 691/8/2 right now. Miami is vastly overrated, but Ward is at 2219/20/5. 

I agree.  I think it would take the Longhorns running the table and Ewers playing balls out for him to get an invite to NYC.   

I'm sure someone will find an example, but I can't think if a QB who won the Heisman in the last 20 years or so who didn't play in two games.  Sucks for Quinn, but them's the breaks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I only caught a little of the OU-Auburn game live, but watched a full replay last night.

Hawkins made 3 notable plays. The scramble for a 48 yard touchdown, an intermediate throw to the sidelines on a rollout for a first down, and a really nice deep ball to Hester in 1-on-1 coverage. That's about it. Not much else you can take or good or bad from the game. He's a good downhill runner, but not that shifty when having to move laterally. Auburn did a good job of spying him and keeping him check after that early TD. He was trigger shy in the pocket (not sure what defense Auburn secondary was in) and didn't throw in traffic. His ability to not turn the ball over was big for OU to sneak out of there with a win, but their offense just looked...limited.

Defensively I didn't see anything special from OU either. Stutsman had a quiet game.  Thorne had a lot of clean pockets but they couldn't connect enough with open guys down the field. Auburn had success throwing in the flats & perimeter, but Thorne really struggled throwing over the middle. At least 2 other balls could have been picked in traffic. Tigers ran the ball fairly well. Their true freshman kicker completely fucked them with missed FGs. #32 Thomas for OU had 2 huge pass rushes late to close out the game for OU. 

Fucking Sooner magic. Glad they used some up in that game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I only caught a little of the OU-Auburn game live, but watched a full replay last night.

Hawkins made 3 notable plays. The scramble for a 48 yard touchdown, an intermediate throw to the sidelines on a rollout for a first down, and a really nice deep ball to Hester in 1-on-1 coverage. That's about it. Not much else you can take or good or bad from the game. He's a good downhill runner, but not that shifty when having to move laterally. Auburn did a good job of spying him and keeping him check after that early TD. He was trigger shy in the pocket (not sure what defense Auburn secondary was in) and didn't throw in traffic. His ability to not turn the ball over was big for OU to sneak out of there with a win, but their offense just looked...limited.

Defensively I didn't see anything special from OU either. Stutsman had a quiet game.  Thorne had a lot of clean pockets but they couldn't connect enough with open guys down the field. Auburn had success throwing in the flats & perimeter, but Thorne really struggled throwing over the middle. At least 2 other balls could have been picked in traffic. Tigers ran the ball fairly well. Their true freshman kicker completely fucked them with missed FGs. #32 Thomas for OU had 2 huge pass rushes late to close out the game for OU. 

Fucking Sooner magic. Glad they used some up in that game. 

OU sucks.

Edited for brevity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

One of my takeaways watching live was that he was a little devil may care scrambling and running in traffic. Auburn rang his bell pretty good a few times. If he does that same shit I think there's a good chance someone takes him out of the game - hopefully without missing the first half against UGA.