Game week thread, Week 6, Red River Shootout

Wulaw Horn

19 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I bought vip tickets to Cosm in LA to watch this on the dome. I have no idea what to think. Like last year we should mudhole them.  They don’t have a QB worth a shit. Our offense will pummel. We need the defense to show zero mercy 

Please tell us how that went. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Thompson I’d guess. I think they are going to allow Arnold to redshirt if he wants. 

2nd time I've seen this mentioned.  I guess he didn't redshirt last year?  I assumed he did as little as he played but guess not

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

2nd time I've seen this mentioned.  I guess he didn't redshirt last year?  I assumed he did as little as he played but guess not

It looks like he played in five games (before the bowl) last year.

image.png.f6a7b05d153b40ffd8dcfccc401482f0.png

19 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I bought vip tickets to Cosm in LA to watch this on the dome. I have no idea what to think. Like last year we should mudhole them.  They don’t have a QB worth a shit. Our offense will pummel. We need the defense to show zero mercy 

Let us know how the Cosm experience goes. I’ve been wanting to check it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

This guy never started for us, but he was on the roster and ended his career as the Baylor starter.

Capture.PNG.9507ade9d8c1dceda0906766700db7d5.PNG

Good one. I know he started the 1998 season as the backup, but not sure if he ever got into a game here. 

Did he ever actually play against us at Baylor? If so I've blocked that out.

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

No he did not. Played just enough to burn a shirt, and not enough to get any better. Mismanaged horribly from Lebby/Venables. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

As much as I despise them, Lebby and Gabriel worked well together. 

I can leave any hatred for Gabriel behind, because he's doing pretty well after leaving OU in the lurch now that Arnold has showed his suck, and he's now at Oregon where my daughter just started college.

Lebby, on the other hand, always has my blessing to die in a grease fire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

You don’t have to mention in every post about Oregon that your daughter goes to school there. 

Unless you post pics. 

I'm sorry for posting about my daughter going to Oregon, and I'll try to post less about my daughter going to Oregon.  Did I tell you my daughter's at Oregon?

And no pics, so I'll GTFO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I thought it was like 4 games you could appear in and still redshirt?  It's why Owens played so much in blowouts this year.

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

It looks like he played in five games (before the bowl) last year.

image.png.f6a7b05d153b40ffd8dcfccc401482f0.png

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Good one. I know he started the 1998 season as the backup, but not sure if he ever got into a game here. 

Did he ever actually play against us at Baylor? If so I've blocked that out.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/greg-cicero-1.html

He wasn't very good.  There used to be an iconic photo of us hammering him on the web.

3 hours ago, Constant said:

Thompson I’d guess. I think they are going to allow Arnold to redshirt if he wants. 

I think that decision is probably going to come down to Arnold, not the coaches. Pure speculation, but he maybe in the process of packing his sh!t up to hit the portal. If that is the case, he is going to do everything in his power to stay on the sidelines the rest of the season and preserve his redshirt. 

On 10/6/2024 at 10:50 AM, mdmost said:

We're a 14 point favorite

I understand why Texas is a significant favorite across basically every metric/ratings system and yet if I were to bet, never in my life would I consider anything but OU and the 14 points. just too large a spread for this rivalry.

On 10/6/2024 at 10:59 AM, Ghost of Shag said:

A lot of fucking posts this past week overlooking OU with stuff like “Let’s hate on Georgia” or “what time will the Georgia game be…”

Get focused, Shaggy. This game is always unpredictable.

The whole "get focused" bit is stupid because:

On 10/6/2024 at 11:05 AM, horngrad03 said:

We don't play. We're fans.

but I will say, I don't see how you can be a fan of Texas football and even think about another game the past week or two. If OU is just another game then just watch the NFL, which is a much better pure football product at this point.

On 10/6/2024 at 11:21 AM, Surly Bevo said:

I expect OU to have an offensive strategy similar to many of the others we have faced thus far.  Run the ball, try to muddy it up see if we can make some mistakes that gets the ball rolling for them.  We need to come out and do unto them what they have done to us so much the last couple decades and blow them out before things ever really get started.  

The Texas run defense has shown some vulnerability, most recently against the architect of OU's winning game plan last year, so this is absolutely the route I'd go if I'm OU. I'd be running Hawkins liberally and making Texas consistently stop the run, including the QB run game. You probably need a turnover or a big return or something(s) like that for that approach to get you over the top, but they aren't winning if they get in a situation where they have to pass to play catch up on offense, and the defense is getting worn out by an elite Texas offense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The Texas run defense has shown some vulnerability, most recently against the architect of OU's winning game plan last year, so this is absolutely the route I'd go if I'm OU. I'd be running Hawkins liberally and making Texas consistently stop the run, including the QB run game. 

If I were to bet, I’d bet that the reason Texas didn’t change anything to address the frustrating but ultimately ineffective running game for Mississippi State is for precisely this reason.

Protect ball. Don’t fall down in the secondary. Move to 6-0. 

(Bonus points for catching wide open TD passes to make running even less of a viable option for OU.)

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If I were to bet, I’d bet that the reason Texas didn’t change anything to address the frustrating but ultimately ineffective running game for Mississippi State is for precisely this reason.

Protect ball. Don’t fall down in the secondary. Move to 6-0. 

That's what I'm telling myself. Sark clearly treated the game as a scrimmage so maybe the order was: "Nope, play this straight up. We'll hit on some scores and get out of here without tipping anything." Or if not, then at least that they've had two weeks to reflect and implement a solution.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'm sorry for posting about my daughter going to Oregon, and I'll try to post less about my daughter going to Oregon.  Did I tell you my daughter's at Oregon?

And no pics, so I'll GTFO.

20241007_162743.gif

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's what I'm telling myself. Sark clearly treated the game as a scrimmage so maybe the order was: "Nope, play this straight up. We'll hit on some scores and get out of here without tipping anything." Or if not, then at least that they've had two weeks to reflect and implement a solution.

I mean, granted, I didn’t analyze every play so I may be completely full of it, but did they change anything at all on defense?

Sarkisian said, “stop the RPO, make passes dropbacks, and ‘good luck’ winning with four yards a carry in today’s game.” He as much as said it was a scrimmage and Mississippi State couldn’t win with what the defense was going to let them do.

I guess we’ll see. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

14 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We cannot turn the fucking ball over like last game.

Yes, OU is not a shut down defense. They are very good vs the run, but vulnerable vs the pass. They just gave up over 10 yards an attempt to Auburn (pass defense ranks in the 70s).  I dont think OU can hold up in the backend against Texas. They lost one of their best players in their NB. They are highly reliant on Havoc plays. They are top 5 in turnovers forced and top 10 in sacks. If Texas protects Quinn, I expect the offense to put up some pts. Texas has seen a better DL this year an held up well (Michigan)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yes, OU is not a shut own defense. They are very good vs the run, but vulnerable vs the pass. They just gave up over 10 yards an attempt to Auburn (pass defense ranks in the 70s).  I dont think OU can hold up in the backend against Texas. They lost one of their best players in their NB. They are highly reliant on Havoc plays. They are top 5 in turnovers forced and top 10 in sacks. If Texas protects Quinn, I expect the offense to put up some pts. Texas has seen a better DL this year an held up well (Michigan)

Yes, we ought to be able to light them up like a couch in Columbus, Ohio.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I think that decision is probably going to come down to Arnold, not the coaches. Pure speculation, but he maybe in the process of packing his sh!t up to hit the portal. If that is the case, he is going to do everything in his power to stay on the sidelines the rest of the season and preserve his redshirt. 

I agree. He has a right to he upset about how this was all handled. I believe he can still be an elite quarterback, but it’s pretty clear he needs a less big pressure situation to grow in. Obviously it doesn’t help every single wideout he worked with this summer is currently hurt. 

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

That was my fault, guys.  I was rushing from my son's cross country meet so was not able to watch the first quarter when OU got a pick that should have been an easy TD to Sanders.  I won't let that happen on Saturday.

Special teams made up for it with a blocked punt that bounced right into Malik Muhammad’s arms for a TD

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yes, OU is not a shut down defense. They are very good vs the run, but vulnerable vs the pass. They just gave up over 10 yards an attempt to Auburn (pass defense ranks in the 70s).  I dont think OU can hold up in the backend against Texas. They lost one of their best players in their NB. They are highly reliant on Havoc plays. They are top 5 in turnovers forced and top 10 in sacks. If Texas protects Quinn, I expect the offense to put up some pts. Texas has seen a better DL this year an held up well (Michigan)

That turnover margin is inflated a bit by an insane +6 against Temple. That's nearly half of their 13 season turnover total. I still think they're very capable of forcing them and that pick 6 against Auburn turned the game, but they only got 1 against Auburn and 2 against TN. Both those teams were playing with inexperienced QBs. Hopefully we don't go down that road because I don't see how OU wins without winning the turnover battle and/or special teams miscues. 

These are the offenses OU's defense has faced per FEI. 

Temple (#130)

Houston (#109)

Tulane (#35)

Tennessee (#25)

Auburn (#72)

I thought OU's defense might be decent after the Tennessee game but now I'm pretty sure Tennessee's offense was just drastically overrated. Arkansas shut them down too. 

Not sure OU has faced a top 30 offense yet. Granted, we haven't played a good offense yet either. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

These are the offenses OU's defense has faced per FEI. 

Temple (#130)

Houston (#109)

Tulane (#35)

Tennessee (#25)

Auburn (#72)

I thought OU's defense might be decent after the Tennessee game but now I'm pretty sure Tennessee's offense was just drastically overrated. Arkansas shut them down too. 

Not sure OU has faced a top 30 offense yet. Granted, we haven't played a good offense yet either. 

Ha. OU’s defense might suck because they *may not have played a top 30 offense* (even though you just posted they have), but Texas’ defense definitely doesn’t suck even though they *definitely* haven’t played a top 30 offense. 

Last year it was you with the strength of schedule nonsense and Texas lost. Now this year it’s splitting hairs and ignoring stat rankings you just posted. 

Texas is the better football team. We all know it. We also all should know the better team wins this game far less than they should. Can it not just be left there?

1 minute ago, Constant said:

Ha. OU’s defense might suck because they *may not have played a top 30 offense* (even though you just posted they have), but Texas’ defense definitely doesn’t suck even though they *definitely* haven’t played a top 30 offense. 

Last year it was you with the strength of schedule nonsense and Texas lost. Now this year it’s splitting hairs and ignoring stat rankings you just posted. 

Texas is the better football team. We all know it. We also all should know the better team wins this game far less than they should. Can it not just be left there?

….he literally closed it with saying we also haven’t played a good offense

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

….he literally closed it with saying we also haven’t played a good offense

And that will continue to be the case even after Saturday. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Do you expect a Sooner fan to read? 

I’m working on the assumption you believe Texas’ defense is superior to OU’s. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:

I don't think comparing D's matters much. 

I think OU's D has to be dominant to win this because your offense sucks. I don't think OU's defense is dominant but probably decent. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think comparing D's matters much. 

I think OU's D has to be dominant to win this because your offense sucks. I don't think OU's defense is dominant but probably decent. 

Thats what will be great about Saturday. Some questions will certainly be answered. 

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe. Our 2015 win really didn’t answer a damn question about Texas.

or 2013. or 2024 for ou. or so many of these fucking games. 

god i fucking hate ou.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Constant said:

Texas’ defense doesn’t have to be better than OU’s. It has to be better against OU’s pedestrian offense than OU’s is against Texas’ lethal offense. Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

I agree. He has a right to he upset about how this was all handled. I believe he can still be an elite quarterback, but it’s pretty clear he needs a less big pressure situation to grow in. Obviously it doesn’t help every single wideout he worked with this summer is currently hurt. 

He definitely got a shit sandwich of no OL and no WRs. Just a terrible situation to develop a QB. Looked like Texas for years 

• Like 1