Game week thread, Week 6, Red River Shootout

Wulaw Horn

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Good. For all the flak Herbie gets, he's the best big game announcer on TV.

Agreed. I've quietly liked him for awhile now.

I think he's even better calling NFL games. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

that pick deep in OU territory was really close to a pick 6 and would have likely lost the game for us.  Dont recall who made the tackle but it was one of those tackles where it didnt seem like it was that important, but the dude had the entire sideline open

Colt made the TD saving tackle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Under Sark UT has scored 30 49 and 48 points in this game and is 1-2.  The offense is not and will not be an issue. If the Defense can just be avg this game won’t be close. 

Considering how the D has looked so far this year this is going to get ugly for the meth heads. 

Dont envision any scenario where OU wins this game. 

Stone cold lead pipe lock. UT -14 

The offense only scored 23 last year. 7 came on a punt block TD. The 3 turnovers, all by Ewers (2 INT’s and a fumble) were killers.

I do think it’s interesting that last year we had all this confidence and people predicting blowouts and Texas closed as a 3.5 point favorite. If I remember correctly the line was hanging out around 5-5.5 all week and a ton of late money came in on Oklahoma.

I think the spread this year (14.5) is the largest since the 2015 and 2016 games (both OU -16.5). Only the 3rd time Texas has been favored since 2009.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen a picture or video of the grounds crew painting the end zones? Asking because they used our correct home field font during 49-0 and went back to the Mack Brown font when we lost last year. If my math is right, correct font + storm trooper uniforms = win. If not I will ask CDC on Twitter while I complain about not being able to get reentry during home games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The offense only scored 23 last year. 7 came on a punt block TD. The 3 turnovers, all by Ewers (2 INT’s and a fumble) were killers.

I do think it’s interesting that last year we had all this confidence and people predicting blowouts and Texas closed as a 3.5 point favorite. If I remember correctly the line was hanging out around 5-5.5 all week and a ton of late money came in on Oklahoma.

I think the spread this year (14.5) is the largest since the 2015 and 2016 games (both OU -16.5). Only the 3rd time Texas has been favored since 2009.

I was more confident last year going into the RRS than any I can remember. After attending 30+ of these in person, you would think I would know better.

As brutal as the QE turnovers were, the defense really shit the bed. Gabriel killed us time and again with his scrambling, Ran for 100+ that day when he only ran for something like 350 yards total the entire season. And then the secondary breakdowns on that last drive were just gut wrenching. So many self-inflicted wounds. This team should have a really bad taste in their mouth from last year. I know I do.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is why I said concerns about formatting should be kept to yourself. This is an irritating and unnecessary post that is also unintentionally ironic. You're admonishing my posting approach while calling me "holier-than-thou" in a condescending manner simply because my post wasn't to your liking. Ridiculous. 

I know how to post in plain text. I often also incorporate bold formatting for key sections when I post. Sometimes, I don't have the time or inclination, and I really don't care if that impacts dozens of luddites or corner cases affected by such matters. 

In short, when I throw a dog a bone, I don't need to hear how it tastes. I'm not getting paid to post, much less for taking the time to copy paid subscriber content from elsewhere and post it here for others to consume.

I really thought you were going all Brick Top when I started reading this. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

I thought that's what I did? Should I have thrown in calling him "Turkish" for good measure?

Couldn’t hurt. Maybe I was expecting some British slang thrown in for good measure? Maybe a cunt or two? 

Hey the point is I understood what movie it was from!! 

28 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was more confident last year going into the RRS than any I can remember. After attending 30+ of these in person, you would think I would know better.

As brutal as the QE turnovers were, the defense really shit the bed. Gabriel killed us time and again with his scrambling, Ran for 100+ that day when he only ran for something like 350 yards total the entire season. And then the secondary breakdowns on that last drive were just gut wrenching. So many self-inflicted wounds. This team should have a really bad taste in their mouth from last year. I know I do.

I agree with every single word of this…

11 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Saturday will be my first time attending this game since they got rid of the physical game tickets, which used to have a separate stub for admission to the Fair.  The electronic ticket doesn't say anything about Fair admission on it. 

Do they scan your game ticket twice, once at the Fair entrance and again when you enter the stadium?

I am 99% sure we just walked by showing them the ticket. I don’t think it was scanned until entry to the stadium. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Ran for 100+ that day when he only ran for something like 350 yards total the entire season. 

This stat is indicative of how differently OU approaches this game than Texas does at least since the start of the Stoops era (and has clearly continued under BV).  They had shit for a backup (an even more raw JA) and an injury riddled QB with significant concussion history.  They knowingly risked their season running DG time and time last year because beating Texas is all that matters.  That approach is a big reason why we are 9-16 in this game since Stoops took over.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That approach is a big reason why we are 9-16 in this game since Stoops took over.

OU being a better football team than us for a lot of those years might also have been a contributing factor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

OU being a better football team than us for a lot of those years might also have been a contributing factor.

For sure.  But it is just indicative of their mindset.  I think Sark is a lot closer to that mindset than his predecessors.  

that pick deep in OU territory was really close to a pick 6 and would have likely lost the game for us.  Dont recall who made the tackle but it was one of those tackles where it didnt seem like it was that important, but the dude had the entire sideline open

Marquis Goodwin

There’s really not much to analyze in this matchup because we are so clearly better. There’s a chance that turnovers, injuries and ref fuckery happen and we lose, but the delta between our offenses is so great that it really shouldn’t be close. Reminds me so much of the Michigan game. I’m mostly curious to see if our OL can decisively win the battle again with a pretty damn good DL. 

Gooners don't have a chance this year. I don't care how good BV's defense is supposed to be, we will break through to the endzone a few more times than their feeble offense can manage.

That said I think we're all going to die in this fucking "autumn" weather. I can't decide if I should drink so much I don't care about being roasted alive or hydrate with actual H20 and see if I can still stand up for the eyes?

Watched the player availability stuff. 

Kurt is still a fucking cunt with his Temu Skip Bayless click baity repetitive shit question about the two TD line. Little bitch. 

Gbenda is a smart guy. I don’t know if he really doesn’t know anything about betting or whether he was trolling, but his response was great. 

Barron is charismatic AF. It seems like he could accomplish just about anything in life he wanted to. 

They’ve all absolutely bought into what Sarkisian is selling. You can hear the phrases he uses coming from them. Communication and rush lane integrity seem to be big talking points. 

Oklahoma is fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, ousux said:

Gooners don't have a chance this year. I don't care how good BV's defense is supposed to be, we will break through to the endzone a few more times than their feeble offense can manage. emoji869.png

That said I think we're all going to die in this fucking "autumn" weather.emoji85.png I can't decide if I should drink so much I don't care about being roasted alive or hydrate with actual H20 and see if I can still stand up for the eyes?

image.png.8991033ca92fd34af1da2d84118e0da3.png

Would OU beat Michigan? 

I'm not even trying to be funny I’m legit curious 

I haven’t watched a down of OU football this year, so I feel like I’m qualified to say:

Hell to the motherfucking no!

20 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Sometimes it's dim but that's just because the broadcast is broken and it works again shortly afterwards.

But another reason for being dim is if it's broadcast in HDR but your TV doesn't support HDR.  

Off topic but it does support HDR.  I don't get it. 

17 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Yes- it looks awful. I have an Apple TV 4K on a new LG plasma. The Georgia-Clemson opener was particularly terrible- almost pastel colors or something. Cancelled 4K package after the Georgia-Bama game looked like shit.

Family plan or I wouldn't pay for it either

My father in law has season tix as an Ex. He transferred them to me yesterday, and I’m now trying to transfer two of the four to my brother in law but not having any luck. Anyone ever dealt with this? Any ideas? Tried yelling muledick and it didn’t work.

Nah. I've given this game a pretty deep think and we're going to stomp the shit out of them wire-to-wire. 
They literally won't be able to do anything on offense. If they favor the run (which they will, because their entire WR corps is injured) we won't stay in dime like we did against MSU. We will adjust our gameplan to match what they're doing. Our defense is better overall than it was last year and their offense is much, much worse. Our DBs in particular have improved, and although the DTs have gotten a bit worse, the fall off is not that bad. Plus we're better at the edges. Almost all CFB games come down to which team has the better QB? They've got a true freshman at QB who, although talented, is not nearly on Ewers' level. Our safeties are going to pick up the slack that we've seen in the run game (mostly from our LBs) and that will be that for them on offense. I'll be shocked if they score more than 10 points. 
On the other side of the ball - our offense is in an entirely different league than theirs. We have one of the nastiest o-lines in CFB, we have a veteran QB who can comfortably distribute the ball against pretty much any defense, we have an insane stable WR who are among the best in the country. Our RB room is thin and one of our RBs is prone to turning the ball over. And turnovers are the one thing that might kill us. But I'm not overly preoccupied about that for a few reasons:

(1) If Blue can't get his shit together, bench him. Problem solved. But what if we need Blue's pass blocking? What if we're worried about depth and don't want him to quit on the season? 

(2) Just lean on the passing game. Yes, I would rather the offense be balanced and I would rather be "run first," but our passing game is B-A-N-A-N-A-S. It's fucking nuclear. We can bomb it all over the field and I don't see how they'll stop us. Quinn is not perfect, but he's not at all prone to throwing picks. And if they overcommit to stop the pass then that makes the running game that much easier, regardless of Blue's deficiencies. But, more importantly....

(3) I think Blue will clean it up and have a great game. Tashard Choice is still his coach. Dude is still in his contract year. He's had two weeks to think about this and work on things. Blue knows he needs to hit some home runs on the big stage to make an impression on the NFL. He can't afford to have a bad game and I think he will do everything possible to see that he doesn't. And if he still does, despite his best effort, see points (1) and (2).

Their defense is good, but it's not much better than Michigan's, if at all. And Sark STILL hasn't gotten deep in his bag this year. We immediately went vanilla against Michigan when he saw the game over. If we need it - and I don't think we will - Sark can pull out the stops and show OU some shit they haven't prepared for. I'd rather save that for UGA if we can, but we don't have to. There are just too many ways for our offense to beat the best defenses in the country, and OU is not one of those. 
We're not sleep walking into this game like we did last year. We are better and they are worse. We are absolutely going to ruin their Saturday and I don't think it will be close. 

/subscribed
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Nah. I've given this game a pretty deep think and we're going to stomp the shit out of them wire-to-wire. 

They literally won't be able to do anything on offense. If they favor the run (which they will, because their entire WR corps is injured) we won't stay in dime like we did against MSU. We will adjust our gameplan to match what they're doing. Our defense is better overall than it was last year and their offense is much, much worse. Our DBs in particular have improved, and although the DTs have gotten a bit worse, the fall off is not that bad. Plus we're better at the edges. Almost all CFB games come down to which team has the better QB? They've got a true freshman at QB who, although talented, is not nearly on Ewers' level. Our safeties are going to pick up the slack that we've seen in the run game (mostly from our LBs) and that will be that for them on offense. I'll be shocked if they score more than 10 points. 

On the other side of the ball - our offense is in an entirely different league than theirs. We have one of the nastiest o-lines in CFB, we have a veteran QB who can comfortably distribute the ball against pretty much any defense, we have an insane stable WR who are among the best in the country. Our RB room is thin and one of our RBs is prone to turning the ball over. And turnovers are the one thing that might kill us. But I'm not overly preoccupied about that for a few reasons:

(1) If Blue can't get his shit together, bench him. Problem solved. But what if we need Blue's pass blocking? What if we're worried about depth and don't want him to quit on the season? 

(2) Just lean on the passing game. Yes, I would rather the offense be balanced and I would rather be "run first," but our passing game is B-A-N-A-N-A-S. It's fucking nuclear. We can bomb it all over the field and I don't see how they'll stop us. Quinn is not perfect, but he's not at all prone to throwing picks. And if they overcommit to stop the pass then that makes the running game that much easier, regardless of Blue's deficiencies. But, more importantly....

(3) I think Blue will clean it up and have a great game. Tashard Choice is still his coach. Dude is still in his contract year. He's had two weeks to think about this and work on things. Blue knows he needs to hit some home runs on the big stage to make an impression on the NFL. He can't afford to have a bad game and I think he will do everything possible to see that he doesn't. And if he still does, despite his best effort, see points (1) and (2).

Their defense is good, but it's not much better than Michigan's, if at all. And Sark STILL hasn't gotten deep in his bag this year. We immediately went vanilla against Michigan when he saw the game over. If we need it - and I don't think we will - Sark can pull out the stops and show OU some shit they haven't prepared for. I'd rather save that for UGA if we can, but we don't have to. There are just too many ways for our offense to beat the best defenses in the country, and OU is not one of those. 

We're not sleep walking into this game like we did last year. We are better and they are worse. We are absolutely going to ruin their Saturday and I don't think it will be close. 

Just for the record

DFEI rankings:

Texas 4th

Michigan 8th

OU 10th

• Hook 'Em 2