Game week thread, Week 6, Red River Shootout

Wulaw Horn

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think that is the 9.95er answer, because they wont come out say Venables is a known sign stealer. He was hated in the ACC for it. Offensively, you only have part of the field where you have to worry about hearing the comms. Perhaps I have my tinfoil hat on, but I feel better about the game knowing Venables scumbaggary is going to be limited. 

Yeah Clemson and Venables definitely known for great sign stealing...

Screenshot_20241010-134310_kindlephoto-4877920.png.ab9fb0a74ac51336c88522deb41875df.png

Screenshot_20241010-134816_kindlephoto-5178801.thumb.png.1509b0e3c8bbba4eb3c8240fee840117.png

https://www.si.com/college/2020/11/06/clemson-signal-stealing-dabo-swinney-daily-cover

Ryan Day with a sly comment about it...

Screenshot_20241010-134617_kindlephoto-5057961.thumb.png.94d0a4df90461511a50a9e9492ad1454.png

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Helmet communication may help some, but other signals are still vulnerable...

This year, several teams are still using stuff (see below) in hopes of reducing sign stealing...

image.png.958a2daf10c5e2192ea55700ce5ffd3b.png

Those screens aren't working well, because I can tell he's calling the touchdown play.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I was at that game, and had about the best seats I've ever had for the OU game.  As I recall, Ricky busted a long run for a TD that made the crowd go wild, but it got called back for holding.

On 10/9/2024 at 1:35 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

As much as I would love to come out and just stomp them, that rarely happens in this game.

Texas needs to do more stomping, but this game regularly has one team crush. Average margin of victory since 2000 is 16.88 points.

On 10/9/2024 at 2:47 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

But that means fuck all in this game. 8 out of the last 9 of these have been one score games, and we've trotted out some of the worst Texas teams in history over that timespan.

And what was the score of that outlier? Beatdowns happen in this game. And this will be one of the best Texas teams coming out that tunnel.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Alien Octopus said:

The only thing I am concerned with is that we have not really faced a qb who can run and throw. Not sure how PK will scheme. We certainly have plenty of speed to harass the qb and to spy. But have not seen them defend this yet. Will see Saturday. I am sure the OU coaching will be taking a page out of Vandy and Arky D last week and play keep away with TOP. I feel we win on turnovers, though OU has show this to be their super power, I feel our Defense is much deeper and more athletic. I watched the OU fucks play against Auburn. They were lost until the end.

I think the Mississippi State QB was dual threat.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Unremarkable news.  Our punter is likely to get as much action on Saturday as I did on prom night.

Did your mom take all your action that night?

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

He was definitely on some calls early last year, not sure if that was scouting or stealing. IF Texas scores 40, I will convince myself the comms made a difference. 

I dont think coaches talking to players is that big of a deal, when Texas has the ball. Quinn and Stutsman have been around. They pretty smart guys (football IQ) and have seen a lot. Probably more beneficial for younger players like Hawkins. 

I expect Texas to score 41 or so, as is. 

I think it’s pretty advantageous to feed them info coming down from above that they might not be able to see. I think being able to talk to the QB without having to wait for a series to end or calling a time out can be a pretty big deal. 

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Texas needs to do more stomping, but this game regularly has one team crush. Average margin of victory since 2000 is 16.88 points.

And what was the score of that outlier? Beatdowns happen in this game. And this will be one of the best Texas teams coming out that tunnel.

Each TX/OU game is completely its own animal.

Below are the 8 games this century that had double digit point spreads. Twice Texas has won outright (in bold) as a dog and covered four more times. That's 6/8 for those of you keeping score at home. This game is generally played closer than what is expected. I can't see any reason that we don't beat the living piss out of them, but I have seen too much shit go down in that stadium. And fuck this being the first time in almost 20 years that we are a double digit favorite against those assholes.

2019 -- Oklahoma 34, Texas 27 (point spread: Oklahoma -10.5)
2016 -- Oklahoma 45, Texas 40 (point spread: Oklahoma -13.5)
2015 -- Texas 24, Oklahoma 17 (point spread: Oklahoma -16.5)
2014 -- Oklahoma 31, Texas 26 (point spread: Oklahoma -16.5)
2013 -- Texas 36, Oklahoma 20 (point spread: Oklahoma -13.5)
2011 -- Oklahoma 55, Texas 17 (point spread: Oklahoma -11)
2007 -- Oklahoma 28, Texas 21 (point spread: Oklahoma -12)
2005 -- Texas 45, Oklahoma 12 (point spread: Texas -14)

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Below are the 8 games this century that had double digit point spreads. Twice Texas has won outright (in bold) as a dog and covered four more times. That's 6/8 for those of you keeping score at home. This game is generally played closer than what is expected. I can't see any reason that we don't beat the living piss out of them, but I have seen too much shit go down in that stadium. And fuck this being the first time in almost 20 years that we are a double digit favorite against those assholes.

2019 -- Oklahoma 34, Texas 27 (point spread: Oklahoma -10.5)
2016 -- Oklahoma 45, Texas 40 (point spread: Oklahoma -13.5)
2015 -- Texas 24, Oklahoma 17 (point spread: Oklahoma -16.5)
2014 -- Oklahoma 31, Texas 26 (point spread: Oklahoma -16.5)
2013 -- Texas 36, Oklahoma 20 (point spread: Oklahoma -13.5)
2011 -- Oklahoma 55, Texas 17 (point spread: Oklahoma -11)
2007 -- Oklahoma 28, Texas 21 (point spread: Oklahoma -12)
2005 -- Texas 45, Oklahoma 12 (point spread: Texas -14)

Why didnt you show all the ones where Texas was double digit favorites this century?

• Rage+1 4

6 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

We winning by a big margin. Ou has lost too much, and Hawkins isn't saving them every play, especially when you have Simmons, Burke. Vasek, and Sorrell about to kill you because their line is so bad. 

Funk Right! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This.

I have seen enough of these to know better.  Yes, on paper, we should fuckstomp them back to Bolivia.  But I have seen a lot of Texas-0U games where the better team (on paper) doesn't always win.  I'm not going to celebrate this one until the scoreboard shows Texas with more points than 0U with zero left on the clock.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Hopefully PK has a good enough game plan here. The key will be keeping Hawkins in the pocket. Play contain, don't over pursue and let him scramble for big plays on 3rd down. 

On offense don't be afraid to go to Bond early and often if the running game isn't there. Dude is explosive and has a knack for getting open for chunk plays.

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

The key will be keeping Hawkins in the pocket. Play contain, don't over pursue and let him scramble for big plays on 3rd down. 

Disagree. Pressure him often and early. He isn't that dangerous of a runner - doesn't avoid contact and is certainly a worse passer with pressure in his face. 

This isn't Caleb Williams or Kyler. It isn't even Gabriel back there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Disagree. Pressure him often and early. He isn't that dangerous of a runner - doesn't avoid contact and is certainly a worse passer with pressure in his face. 

My impression, based on what players and coaches have said publicly, is this, with lane discipline. 

Guys like Gbenda and Ant Hill have a tendency to overpursue. OU is not strong at WR. Stay in your lane and keep this dude from extending plays on 3rd down and get off the field. No need to be 3rd and Orlando.

Edited by 6th Street

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Guys like Gbenda and Ant Hill have a tendency to overpursue. OU is not strong at WR. Stay in your lane and keep this dude from extending plays on 3rd down and get off the field. No need to be 3rd and Orlando.

He put up 19 points and 291 yards against Auburn. We are better at literally every position on both sides of the ball than Auburn. And I think he has less receivers now.

This kid does not scare me. I'd put money down that he's more likely to leave injured or have multiple turnovers than have 300 yards of offense. 

Gabriel was lighting teams up last season coming into this game. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I agree play games with the coverages and bring pressure. Sometimes it might just be edges winning against their shitty OTs, but we absolutely made a mistake against Williams. We got real gun shy after his long run on 4th down when he had him stopped twice and neither guy could make the tackle. The worst thing you can let a young QB do is let him sit in the pocket and get into a rhythym.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Hopefully PK has a good enough game plan here. The key will be keeping Hawkins in the pocket. Play contain, don't over pursue and let him scramble for big plays on 3rd down. 

On offense don't be afraid to go to Bond early and often if the running game isn't there. Dude is explosive and has a knack for getting open for chunk plays.

Have a good defensive game plan and get your WR1 involved in the passing game, hopefully our coaches have considered this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Have a good defensive game plan and get your WR1 involved in the passing game, hopefully our coaches have considered this. 

Should we try to score more than them ? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

PK is watching film on Hawkins probably saying to himself "If we can't stop this guy I'm gonna be finding a new job"