An Official "I've Studied My Sample Ballot, I Know How I'm Voting, and Won't Be a Time-Wasting Jagoff at my Polling Place Whose Indecision and Lack of Preparation Causes Long Lines" Tracking Thread

chainsaw

My sample ballot is complete  

21 members have voted

1. 1. I've found my sample ballot

2. 2. My sample ballot is this complete

• 0% (YOU ARE A BAD GUY!!!)
    • 1 to 10 percent (BLATANT DISREGARD FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS. YOU ARE HEADED TO "AREA 51")
    • 11 to 20 percent (BLATANT DISREGARD FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS. YOU ARE HEADED TO "AREA 51")
    • 21 to 30 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 31 to 40 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 41 to 50 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 51 to 60 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 61 to 70 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 71 to 80 percent (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)
    • 81 to 90 percent (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)
    • 91 to 99 percent (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)
    • 100% (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)

Posted (edited)

Intro

Spoiler

Texans!

Sure, you might know who you're voting for at the top of the ballot (President, US Senate) but have you looked at your judicial, county-level, city council, and school board candidates yet? What about obscure local ordinances? No?

Well, what the fuck are you waiting for?

In many Texas locations, you can get a Sample Ballot that applies specifically to your polling place. You can use this Sample Ballot to know what races and candidates to research, and to decide in the comfort of your own home how you plan to vote in those downballot races.

Here are links for a randomly chosen set of Texas counties where people should be voting

Spoiler

Harris County

Dallas County

Bexar County

Travis County

Tarrant County

Fort Bend County

El Paso County

Williamson County

Hidalgo County

Cameron County

Hays County (not personalized)

Webb County

Starr County (not personalized)

Maverick County (shitshow)

Willacy County (may not be personalized)

Zavala County (shitshow)

Duval County (shitshow)

Dimmit County (shitshow)

Brooks County

Presidio County (shitshow)

Jim Hogg County

Culberson County (shitshow)

Finally, some pointers as you do your civic duty to reduce polling place congestion

• Lots of these downballot candidates have shoestring budgets, so you'll need to find their social media presence (if any) to figure out who they are and what they're about
  • It's okay to care so little about some of these races or propositions that you're willing to abstain, and it's perfectly acceptable to leave that part of your ballot blank
    • But remember, some of these IDGAF choices can wait until an editorial board you respect makes an endorsement, so don't forget to leave the door open to changing your mind as you get more information or input before you cast your ballot.

If any of you want to endorse or shit-talk a downballot candidate or proposition, that could be helpful information

Edited by chainsaw

I filled out my ballot and dropped it in the drop box last week. 

Thus, I have avoided finding time on Nov 5th to get over to the polling place, finding a parking place, and standing in line.  

This being NJ, I don't have to worry about open carry Maga idiots in tactical gear being disruptive.  I'm guessing that will happen somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. And if it’s an uncontested R, I’m leaving it blank. 

If you are a Republican you will not get my vote EVER again. The damage these clowns have done to our country and world as a whole is something I will never forget. I’d cast a vote for CHAIRMAN MAO or Prime Minister Tojo before I would ever vote for a Republican again. 

• Hook 'Em 4

just filled mine out. No brainer for the most part. I'm voting for every bond and every Dem at the Federal level. Only problem is for County Commissioner. The Republican is the incumbent and has been decent, serving in a bipartisan fashion for 30 years in the role. His Democratic challenger is charged with 4 felonies and 4 misdemeanors after creating online personas to post fake racist attacks against himself, including one named (I shit you not) "Antonio Scalawag". I think the charges are overblown and i don't really think being an online troll should be a criminal offense, but this dumbass' actions still pissed me off so I'm skipping that vote. It did provide a moment of disconnect for my GOP parents (who live in the same district). They mentioned having to get home to vote early against the felon. I asked them if they were voting against the felon for POTUS as well and got a lot of hemming and hawing about fake charges and projection towards me for bringing up politics (I didn't) in return. These people are gone, baby gone.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway - are any of the D candidates for Appeals Court or District Court judges in the Austin area so corrupt and/or incompetent as to justify considering an R candidate?  I recall back in the day there might have been a handful of competent R judges who weren't utter pieces of shit, but my view is that continuing to run with the (R) by your name at this point is disqualifying except in the most extreme of circumstances.  Any such circumstances to be aware of?  

Posted (edited)

I’m actually perfectly fine with everyone wasting their time, in certain parts of town, at certain hours on Election Day.

If on Election Day in Montgomery county they experienced Austin traffic on Halloween with rain, I’d nut my pants.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Gap03 said:

any of the D candidates for Appeals Court or District Court judges in the Austin area so corrupt and/or incompetent as to justify considering an R candidate?

In the contested race the R has some questionable vibes

about-1920x1278.jpg

ABOUT JOHN MESSINGER

People in government need more humility. Our courts are for everyone regardless of creed, but I believe God’s only Son had to die to pay for my sins. He doesn’t love me any more than He does the worst criminal. I’m not better than anyone whose case would come before me.

The opponent seems like a run of the mill Austin liberal.

For DA, there's the Jose Garza we all know and love for the D's and for the R's you have

Screenshot-2024-09-09-at-5.21.02%E2%80%A

betts.jpg

Daniel's Family

La familia de Daniel

Daniel values his relationships and is proud to have been married to his wife, Piper, for eight years. Together, they are raising two sons, Harvey and Malcolm, and their family is completed by the addition of Winston, their beloved pet pot belly pig.

What I'm trying to say is that, no matter what, it's gonna be a mustache guy. His website does seem to be very moderate and non-MAGA.

Everything else looks to be uncontested.

19 hours ago, Gap03 said:

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway - are any of the D candidates for Appeals Court or District Court judges in the Austin area so corrupt and/or incompetent as to justify considering an R candidate?  I recall back in the day there might have been a handful of competent R judges who weren't utter pieces of shit, but my view is that continuing to run with the (R) by your name at this point is disqualifying except in the most extreme of circumstances.  Any such circumstances to be aware of?  

Short answer: no.  Vote straight-ticket D.

I used to regularly recommend a mixed ballot in judicial races, because political reality meant that in some counties/districts, there were good judges running as R's.  No longer.  Association with the current R party is a complete and total disqualifier, and nobody willing to have that association can be trusted to make decisions about other people's lives.

My old man actually asked me for my thoughts on the ballot this weekend, so he'd be ready for early voting.  We pretty much just discussed the local non-partisan races (mayor, city council).  I told him for everything else, vote for the D.  His response "yeah, that was my thinking."  That's from my dad....who voted mostly R for most of my life.  He flat-out said "yeah, that party is just so fucked up, I can't vote for any of them."

So, that's the recommendation this year, and for probably the remainder of my life: in all partisan races, vote against the R.  Always.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I used to regularly recommend a mixed ballot in judicial races, because political reality meant that in some counties/districts, there were good judges running as R's.  No longer.  Association with the current R party is a complete and total disqualifier, and nobody willing to have that association can be trusted to make decisions about other people's lives.

My old man actually asked me for my thoughts on the ballot this weekend, so he'd be ready for early voting.  We pretty much just discussed the local non-partisan races (mayor, city council).  I told him for everything else, vote for the D.  His response "yeah, that was my thinking."  That's from my dad....who voted mostly R for most of my life.  He flat-out said "yeah, that party is just so fucked up, I can't vote for any of them."

So, that's the recommendation this year, and for probably the remainder of my life: in all partisan races, vote against the R.  Always.

Thanks!  Even if the Dems were running a Menendez-type candidate, I'd still probably just sit that one out.  Good to know that there are no such candidates on my ballot to worry about.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think even when the D is someone you would usually vote against, you can always abstain in protest as to that race

I appreciate the reminder & printed my sample ballot & researched the elections I wasn't fully familiar with, specifically the ACC and LISD contests. Color me surprised that the Leander school board openings choices are either a) normal member of the community w/ a kid or two in public schools in the district, or b) christofascist Moms for Liberty nutters who attended the J6th insurrection.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

just filled mine out. No brainer for the most part. I'm voting for every bond and every Dem at the Federal level. Only problem is for County Commissioner. The Republican is the incumbent and has been decent, serving in a bipartisan fashion for 30 years in the role. His Democratic challenger is charged with 4 felonies and 4 misdemeanors after creating online personas to post fake racist attacks against himself, including one named (I shit you not) "Antonio Scalawag". I think the charges are overblown and i don't really think being an online troll should be a criminal offense, but this dumbass' actions still pissed me off so I'm skipping that vote. It did provide a moment of disconnect for my GOP parents (who live in the same district). They mentioned having to get home to vote early against the felon. I asked them if they were voting against the felon for POTUS as well and got a lot of hemming and hawing about fake charges and projection towards me for bringing up politics (I didn't) in return. These people are gone, baby gone.

Patel is a moron of the highest order. If I *shudders* lived in Fort Bend, I would also abstain.

• Hook 'Em 1

My ballot is super easy. Zero non-partisan races, a couple of races with a D running uncontested, no races with a R running uncontested and just three propositions. Will vote Yes on Harris County flood control and No on the two HISD bonds because fuck Mike Miles.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

My ballot is super easy. Zero non-partisan races, a couple of races with a D running uncontested, no races with a R running uncontested and just three propositions. Will vote Yes on Harris County flood control and No on the two HISD bonds because fuck Mike Miles.

Same, we probably have the same ballot lol 

I live in suburban McLennan County. I'm going to back up that line so much that they're going to have to call in a taco truck with undocumented workers. At least they'll get one more decent meal before they throw out everything with flavor.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Talk to me about the HISD vote - I fully get  being pissed off at Miles - However, why is denying those funds to HISD a good idea?

That’s the only open item on my ballot.

SW Williamson County here. Only non partisan election for me is Leander ISD, and I know the three D endorsed candidates. There's a couple county court seats with Rs running unopposed, so I'll just leave those blank. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Talk to me about the HISD vote - I fully get  being pissed off at Miles - However, why is denying those funds to HISD a good idea?

Because I don’t trust Mike Miles or the state appointed Board of Mangers to be good stewards of these funds. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Miles wants it is reason enough to oppose it. It’s just more money to grift into his own charter school pockets in CO. Both parties oppose the bond. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, royiv said:

Because I don’t trust Mike Miles or the state appointed Board of Mangers to be good stewards of these funds. 

Those funds will be laundered to be used on "Abbott for POTUS 2028" campaign expenditures.

Don't give any money to any body that is run by the GQP, it will just be laundered to be spent on GQP political efforts and Lee Greenwood bibles.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Agree with the sentiment . . . especially for anyone living in a place like Travis County.  The outlier may be parts of the state that are flipping blue and where the D party has never had a realistic enough shot at winning to properly identify and vet candidates.  Hays county went strongly blue last cycle and ended up with a 19 year old district clerk that had no idea how to do the job, which unsurprisingly had real consequences for the county.   

1 minute ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Agree with the sentiment . . . especially for anyone living in a place like Travis County.  The outlier may be parts of the state that are flipping blue and where the D party has never had a realistic enough shot at winning to properly identify and vet candidates.  Hays county went strongly blue last cycle and ended up with a 19 year old district clerk that had no idea how to do the job, which unsurprisingly had real consequences for the county.   

Yeah, I used to feel that way, and worry about that kind of outcome.

No longer.  Just like I would never vote for a member of the Nazi Party just because they were experienced and had good ideas on how to fix potholes.  IDGAF.  You are aligned with a movement that wants to overthrow the Republic and hurt as many people as possible.  They can all fuck right off.

10 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Hays county went strongly blue last cycle and ended up with a 19 year old district clerk that had no idea how to do the job, which unsurprisingly had real consequences for the county.   

the dark knight joker GIF

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

In this case that message was indigent defendants being stuck in jail for longer than necessary when trials were delayed because the district clerk wan't competent enough to deliver jury summonses.  

a sad commentary on our affairs where the opposing party can't be trusted not to include Trump bibles along with those jury summons

25 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

In this case that message was indigent defendants being stuck in jail for longer than necessary when trials were delayed because the district clerk wan't competent enough to deliver jury summonses.  

Yep.  It's a fucking damned shame when we're in a position where we sometimes have to vote for "incompetent" over "evil and intent on destroying the Republic," but here we are.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

Anyone have any decent background info on Duchen v. Ashika for Austin City council (D10)or the AISD “at large” nominees?

Based on this, I'd go with Ganguly due to actually having been a teacher

https://communityimpact.com/austin/south-central-austin/election/2024/09/23/qa-meet-the-austin-city-council-district-10-candidates/

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm super-meh on both of them.  Duchen has a more practical platform....but he's the endorsed establishment candidate, and we all know how effective, thoughtful, and helpful the "establishment" agenda is in this town.

The problem is, the shortcomings of THAT agenda are topped only by the shortcomings of the more touchy-feely pie-in-the-sky agenda of people who want to do good, develop "alternative transportation," and whatnot.

My kingdom for a candidate who says "the business of a city is actual city business, not feel-good crap, not platitudes.  Budget.  Public safety.  City services.  Basic transportation blocking-and-tackling.  I won't do anything glamorous.  I'll just do the shit that has needed to get done for the past 30 fucking years."

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm super-meh on both of them.  Duchen has a more practical platform....but he's the endorsed establishment candidate, and we all know how effective, thoughtful, and helpful the "establishment" agenda is in this town.

The problem is, the shortcomings of THAT agenda are topped only by the shortcomings of the more touchy-feely pie-in-the-sky agenda of people who want to do good, develop "alternative transportation," and whatnot.

My kingdom for a candidate who says "the business of a city is actual city business, not feel-good crap, not platitudes.  Budget.  Public safety.  City services.  Basic transportation blocking-and-tackling.  I won't do anything glamorous.  I'll just do the shit that has needed to get done for the past 30 fucking years."

I want to see more working class people in government, even if it was just a short stint, they understand what that life is like and that matters. city council will never not be a shitshow

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I want to see more working class people in government, even if it was just a short stint, they understand what that life is like and that matters. city council will never not be a shitshow

I can't argue with that factor.  I really don't have a favorite here.  I don't think either of them will be worth a shit.  Alison Alter sure wasn't.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I can't argue with that factor.  I really don't have a favorite here.  I don't think either of them will be worth a shit.  Alison Alter sure wasn't.

Good a reason as any to leave it blank. These things are worth a google to avoid giving a nutjob the power of incumbency. Imagine what would happen if a message board crackpot ended up being elected

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Good a reason as any to leave it blank. These things are worth a google to avoid giving a nutjob the power of incumbency. Imagine what would happen if a message board crackpot ended up being elected

She'd end up being our actual best and most reasonable councilmember, demonstrating plainly how dysfunctional our council is?

Yeah, that's nuts.  It'd never happen.

• Rage+1 1