An Official "I've Studied My Sample Ballot, I Know How I'm Voting, and Won't Be a Time-Wasting Jagoff at my Polling Place Whose Indecision and Lack of Preparation Causes Long Lines" Tracking Thread

chainsaw

My sample ballot is complete  

21 members have voted

1. 1. I've found my sample ballot

2. 2. My sample ballot is this complete

• 0% (YOU ARE A BAD GUY!!!)
    • 1 to 10 percent (BLATANT DISREGARD FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS. YOU ARE HEADED TO "AREA 51")
    • 11 to 20 percent (BLATANT DISREGARD FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS. YOU ARE HEADED TO "AREA 51")
    • 21 to 30 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 31 to 40 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 41 to 50 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 51 to 60 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 61 to 70 percent (SELFISH CITIZEN)
    • 71 to 80 percent (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)
    • 81 to 90 percent (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)
    • 91 to 99 percent (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)
    • 100% (CHAMPIONSHIP COMPLETION LEVEL)

I found some Q&A's for some of our local school board positions.  Any of them that was in favor of vouchers or even voucher-adjacent got cut from the list.  Those with constant focus on student discipline got cut.  Not that I'm not for putting shithead students in their place, but if that's your main focus and you harp about it constantly then fuck you.

To round out my selections for some of the other local races, I strolled up the street to the house with the Harris - Walz sign and wrote down the names of the candidates they were promoting.  Done and dusted, I'm ready to rock.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Short answer: no.  Vote straight-ticket D.

I used to regularly recommend a mixed ballot in judicial races, because political reality meant that in some counties/districts, there were good judges running as R's.  No longer.  Association with the current R party is a complete and total disqualifier, and nobody willing to have that association can be trusted to make decisions about other people's lives.

My old man actually asked me for my thoughts on the ballot this weekend, so he'd be ready for early voting.  We pretty much just discussed the local non-partisan races (mayor, city council).  I told him for everything else, vote for the D.  His response "yeah, that was my thinking."  That's from my dad....who voted mostly R for most of my life.  He flat-out said "yeah, that party is just so fucked up, I can't vote for any of them."

So, that's the recommendation this year, and for probably the remainder of my life: in all partisan races, vote against the R.  Always.

11 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I appreciate the reminder & printed my sample ballot & researched the elections I wasn't fully familiar with, specifically the ACC and LISD contests. Color me surprised that the Leander school board openings choices are either a) normal member of the community w/ a kid or two in public schools in the district, or b) christofascist Moms for Liberty nutters who attended the J6th insurrection.

Independent in Travis County Leander here. My R voting has been dwindling for years, like a urine stream after five minutes at three in the morning. I think I’m straight ticket D this election, maybe for the first time ever? Any indication of heavy religious focus by a candidate now automatically means a No vote for me. Eff the hypocrites. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Independent in Travis County Leander here. My R voting has been dwindling for years, like a urine steam after five minutes at three in the morning. I think I’m straight ticket D this election, maybe for the first time ever? Any indication of heavy religious focus by a candidate now automatically means a No vote for me. Eff the hypocrites. 

i was split ticket for years also, can remember the last R i voted for 

Straight ticket. Like everyone else in this unbelievably predictable poll.   

Guess you missed the part where many of us used to split tickets, even being heavier on the R side of the ticket.
Shit has changed. We saw it and figured it out. You haven’t.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, royiv said:

My ballot is super easy. Zero non-partisan races, a couple of races with a D running uncontested, no races with a R running uncontested and just three propositions. Will vote Yes on Harris County flood control and No on the two HISD bonds because fuck Mike Miles.

Man... Everyone wants to vote no on the schools and then say "look at how bad the schools are, no wonder everyone leaves."

Mike Miles is a trap. Don't fall in it. The bond doesn't increase taxes.

13 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Man... Everyone wants to vote no on the schools and then say "look at how bad the schools are, no wonder everyone leaves."

Mike Miles is a trap. Don't fall in it. The bond doesn't increase taxes.

Absolutely not. I understand the sentiment, but you’re toeing the company line. I don’t trust Miles or the Board of Managers that are all Abbott stooges. Get rid of them and I’ll vote for the school bonds.

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Man, maybe ... honestly I haven't looked at it yet.  The current AISD board is full of teachers and past principals.  What they need is a few accountants.

The current board turned down free money two years ago, like $50 million in non-taxpayer dollars over a period of years.  They could use it now.  They passed a deficit budget that set them on a path to spend down their reserves to critical levels, hoping the lege would bail them out and the lege did not.  Now they are going to have to pass a big tax increase and make major cuts over the next two years to get the budget back to level.

The board is struggling to cut anything because these are people that ran to improve stuff and not cut stuff.  It's not in their nature to cut.

They had an efficiency audit, mandated by the VATRE election, that showed that even with Robin Hood taken out, they spend $1500 more per student than peer districts yet somehow pay their teachers and administration less than peer districts.

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Man, maybe ... honestly I haven't looked at it yet.  The current AISD board is full of teachers and past principals.  What they need is a few accountants.

The current board turned down free money two years ago, like $50 million in non-taxpayer dollars over a period of years.  They could use it now.  They passed a deficit budget that set them on a path to spend down their reserves to critical levels, hoping the lege would bail them out and the lege did not.  Now they are going to have to pass a big tax increase and make major cuts over the next two years to get the budget back to level.

The board is struggling to cut anything because these are people that ran to improve stuff and not cut stuff.  It's not in their nature to cut.

They had an efficiency audit, mandated by the VATRE election, that showed that even with Robin Hood taken out, they spend $1500 more per student than peer districts yet somehow pay their teachers and administration less than peer districts.

Dang it, sorry I was talking about the Austin ISD board trustee elections, sorry.

There are only two seats up for grabs, district 2 in East Austin and an at-large seat at position 8.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/south-central-austin/education/2024/09/12/get-to-know-the-austin-isd-school-board-candidates/

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Dallas has a ton of local propositions about which I know nothing. Guess I will have to start doing some research. 

In the past, for me, shit like this has been the root cause of voting taking a long time. Sometimes I really sit there and debate, other times I don't care and just choose whatever.

Now I'll usually wait for the Chronicle endorsement team to explain whether they're for or against a proposition (and why). I don't always agree with them, but having a plain english discussion of the editorial board's views of the consequences is useful in helping me choose.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

In the past, for me, shit like this has been the root cause of voting taking a long time. Sometimes I really sit there and debate, other times I don't care and just choose whatever.

Now I'll usually wait for the Chronicle endorsement team to explain whether they're for or against a proposition (and why). I don't always agree with them, but having a plain english discussion of the editorial board's views of the consequences is useful in helping me choose.

Texas League of Women Voters is where I start. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Texas League of Women Voters is where I start. 

Co-sign.  Always a great, and (even though the GQPers complain about it now, because they are deranged nutbars) neutral, fact-based analysis.

Seriously....they have always been the go-to source, and haven't changed their methodology or approach, but now the GQP hates them and calls them biased when they say something as simple as "Candidate X states that his number one issue is preventing sloth attacks in Texas.  Texas has never recorded an attack of a sloth on a human being."

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

I like the league of voters, too. The more information, the better. I try to get an editorial board because they're less afraid to say things like "this is just a bullshit Matt Mackowiak grift" or "Elon Musk dropped $750k on this race"

Edited by chainsaw

On 10/7/2024 at 4:22 PM, bonnieblue said:

Anyone have any decent background info on Duchen v. Ashika for Austin City council (D10)or the AISD “at large” nominees?

I spoke with Ashika on the phone today. I don’t live in Austin, but my parents live in the district she’s running in. My dad and I share the same name so it’s not unusual that I get phone calls during election season intended for him. I ended up chatting with her for a few minutes and she seemed competent. If I lived in Austin, I’d probably be inclined to vote for her given her background and the fact that she’s younger and female, two things we need more of in politics.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I spoke with Ashika on the phone today. I don’t live in Austin, but my parents live in the district she’s running in. My dad and I share the same name so it’s not unusual that I get phone calls during election season intended for him. I ended up chatting with her for a few minutes and she seemed competent. If I lived in Austin, I’d probably be inclined to vote for her given her background and the fact that she’s younger and female, two things we need more of in politics.

she was canvasing in my neighborhood, old fashion style, door to door. 

got my vote.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2024 at 9:25 AM, chainsaw said:

my go-to as well. I just just rip the section out and take it into the voting booth with me. Definitely helps with confusing propositions.

gets me in and out quickly

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2