NHL Regular Season: 2024-2025

Vertuzzi

I know it technically started last week in Prague but nobody watched that shit so go fuck yourself. We get this shit started tomorrow with a nice triple-header on ESPN, which includes my B’s. I have a Stanley Cup Final of Bruins/Oilers, with the B’s taking the series in six and sending McJesus packing to look for a new team outside of Alberta. Fuck the Habs, fuck the Leafs, fuck the rest of Canada, and fuck the Stars (had to throw it in for all you Texas people). 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I think the central is going to be a buzzsaw this season, possibly more so than normal. every team up and down got better (except Dallas - they maybe stayed the same).  I think the Metro will be a pretty easy Division. Pens, Caps, Flyers, Isles, and Jackets all look to be middling teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

Central and Atlantic are going to be the toughest divisions in each conference. My biggest question is if Tampa will still be a playoff team. They certainly could but they aren’t the same team from ‘19-‘22. 

14 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think the central is going to be a buzzsaw this season, possibly more so than normal. every team up and down got better (except Dallas - they maybe stayed the same).  I think the Metro will be a pretty easy Division. Pens, Caps, Flyers, Isles, and Jackets all look to be middling teams.

yeah, as much as people are thinking my boys (Canes) are going to take a step back this year when people talk about missing the playoffs entirely I'm like "bro, have you even looked at the rest of this division? 3rd place is as bad as it's likely to get unless something ridiculous happens". Isles could goalie their way into a Wild Card spot again but I think that's their upside. Everyone else outside the top 3 is either rebuilding or needs to rebuild.

Central is ridiculous - everyone but Chicago has a realistic chance this year at being a playoff team. 

I'm not sold on any of the rebuilding Atlantic teams taking that next step yet. Detroit's probably the closest but not sold on that goaltending. 

Pacific is almost as predictable as the Metro. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Scoring seems to be way up this season, right?

yeah, probably. I've been thinking goaltending is becoming weaker league-wide and skating skill is much higher than in the recent past. I play fantasy hockey and my top performer right now Is Mo Seider, a defensemen on Detroit. I think scoring skill and ability is way up across the league and goaltending is relatively weaker than, say, when the Bolts were winning their cups. Vasi definitely carried them through those cups - not sure if the same can be said for any current NHL tender

Frozen Frenzy tomorrow - all 32 teams in action. One of those time I 'm glad I work from home and put on multiple screens.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

if every team is playing today, why not start at noon and have a game start every half hour? seems like squeezing everything past 5p is chaos, not frenzy

That would be too smart for the NHL to ever think about.