The Fair on Game Day

TXSooner518

My group walked up on that main entrance and I says to everyone “follow me”. We walk thru the food court, out around towards the goal line entrance and were to our seats in less than 10 minutes. Cotton Bowl favors the experienced. Could have also gone toward the OU side and been right in. This isn’t Lucas Oil Stadium. This is a place with soul. 

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The coupon scam is designed to make it impossible to only pay for what you want.

And the enshittification factor went over the line when they changed the price of a coupon from 50 cents to 1 dollar, but none of the vendors changed the number of coupons to purchase ANYTHING.

A jumbo Fletchers went from $4 to $8.

Those 4-coupon Coors?  $2 to $4.

The ferris wheel?  $10 to $20.

Never reported, never discussed.

At this point, you really are just looking like a whiny bitch who should just stop coming to the game. Prices go up? No fucking shit. Go price a beer and corny dog at JerryWorld or a Mavs game. And here's the thing, you don't actually have to pay for any of that. You can get by with $2 waters at the Food and Fiber building or some fucking divinity. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

There are 10 fucking gates. Why would you ever go in a b or c 

We came in on the side with D and E. Both were just as crowded. C was fine. There were probably 6 scanners which might explain why it wasn't too bad. I think we waited 10 minutes around 1:55. 

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

To be fair they were under priced and just got correctly priced. 

I don't think the coupons are a scam and I like them. I always have $100 worth for next year when I leave intentionally and using the online ordering/pickup is quick and painless. 

Everyone that is bitching is acting like a 200k+ person event that happens once a year that has no real reported incidents that I can find of violence, Serious medical emergency or otherwise is just a whiny fucking pussy. 

Get to the fucking fair early, it's not hard. Everyone acting like they have something else going on all fucking day are blowhard assholes. No one is doing jack shit the rest of the day who is traveling to Dallas specifically for the game. Dallas residents have even less of an excuse. 

Everything is fried are you fucking morons gonna complain about the lack of healthy low calorie options next? 

There’s no funnel cake on earth not draped somewhere on Scarlett Johansson’s body that’s worth $12. Sorry ass churro wannabe things, anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There’s no funnel cake on earth not draped somewhere on Scarlett Johansson’s body that’s worth $12. Sorry ass churro wannabe things, anyway. 

Corn dogs are also like .20 cents tops food cost. It's not about the "what it's worth" it's about the experience. 

Funnel cake with your kid after a fun day on their first big ferris wheel is worth whatever they are asking.  

No one is making any of you buy any of this shit, it's like bitching that Vegas has slot machines everywhere that take you money and don't pay out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Corn dogs are also like .20 cents tops food cost. It's not about the "what it's worth" it's about the experience. 

Funnel cake with your kid after a fun day on their first big ferris wheel is worth whatever they are asking.  

No one is making any of you buy any of this shit, it's like bitching that Vegas has slot machines everywhere that take you money and don't pay out. 

I didn’t mention corn dogs because, yeah, fine, that’s part of the experience. 

Funnel cakes are a method of transport for fucking powdered sugar. When they’re good, they’re not good. 

I never claimed anyone was making me buy anything. I’m still, as far as I know, on pretty solid ground expressing an opinion on the prices. 

Hell, I just paid $600 for a ticket to a regular season game I knew was going to be a beat down. I’m not above spending money for an experience. That shit ain’t it. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We came in on the side with D and E. Both were just as crowded. C was fine. There were probably 6 scanners which might explain why it wasn't too bad. I think we waited 10 minutes around 1:55. 

There were more than 6 scanners at C.  Probably 10 or more.  I've been on East Side more often and not and entry hasn't been much of an issue.   I'm almost positive the last time I was on West gate B wasn't bad either so that is where I tried first before pivoting to C.  I don't know how anyone could have predicted that the morons in charge of the cotton bowl would put  (and then leave)10 or so scanners at C with only 2 at B but that's what they did.  45 minutes before scheduled kick should be plenty of time to be in line to get into stadium, even that stadium under construction, with borderline competent gameday management.  But guess I'll just plan on at least an hour next year.

Edited by Skipper

I haven’t been to the game in a while but I always like to enjoy watching at home by starting my day with a frozen corn dog and enough jack and coke to put fix my trajectory to be black out by kickoff. If somebody showed up at my door step with an authentic fletchers corny dog at half time I’d probably play $800 for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

At this point, you really are just looking like a whiny bitch who should just stop coming to the game. Prices go up? No fucking shit. Go price a beer and corny dog at JerryWorld or a Mavs game. And here's the thing, you don't actually have to pay for any of that. You can get by with $2 waters at the Food and Fiber building or some fucking divinity. 

Back in my day!!!

Historic Vids on X: "McDonalds menu from the early 1970s. 1940: McDonald's  debuts its first barbecue-themed menu in San Bernardino, California,  offering barbecued beef, ham, or pork with french fries for 35

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn’t mention corn dogs because, yeah, fine, that’s part of the experience. 

Funnel cakes are a method of transport for fucking powdered sugar. When they’re good, they’re not good. 

I never claimed anyone was making me buy anything. I’m still, as far as I know, on pretty solid ground expressing an opinion on the prices. 

Hell, I just paid $600 for a ticket to a regular season game I knew was going to be a beat down. I’m not above spending money for an experience. That shit ain’t it. 

Shit take.....funnel cakes are amongst the top 5 fair foods no matter what. 

If you don't like funnel cakes at a fair regardless of price you're literally a Nazi.

And if you don't like these nachos at a stadium you're definitely a Nazi.

Ballpark Nachos : r/stonerfood

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Shit take.....funnel cakes are amongst the top 5 fair foods no matter what. 

If you don't like funnel cakes at a fair regardless of price you're literally a Nazi.

And if you don't like these nachos at a stadium you're definitely a Nazi.

Ballpark Nachos : r/stonerfood

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve thought through all the permutations and arrived at a defensible conclusion. I know I have when I see you taking the opposing position.  

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve thought through all the permutations and arrived at a defensible conclusion. I know I have when I see you taking the opposing position.  

You're hating on funnel cakes, let that sink in....

I'm sure you also bitch about price of popcorn at the movies.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

You're hating on funnel cakes, let that sink in....

Like I said… sorry ass churro wannabes. 

Even without Scarlett Johansson, an average churro filled with cajeta is better than any funnel cake anywhere on earth. Always. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Like I said… sorry ass churro wannabes. 

Even without Scarlett Johansson, an average churro filled with cajeta is better than any funnel cake anywhere on earth. Always. 

It's not even the same thing as a churro. That's like saying you prefer a pear to an apple. Churro's are more dense where as funnel cakes are fluffy and airy. Just stop with your hate man or I'll report you!

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's not even the same thing as a churro. That's like saying you prefer a pear to an apple. Churro's are more dense where as funnel cakes are fluffy and airy. Just stop with your hate man or I'll report you!

They’re both fried batter. One is bland ass shit with powdered sugar and one is golden delicious awesomeness with cinnamon sugar and cajeta. 

This is where the goodness is.

IMG_2504.jpeg

• Drool 2

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

They’re both fried batter. One is bland ass shit with powdered sugar and one is golden delicious awesomeness with cinnamon sugar and cajeta. 

This is where the goodness is.

IMG_2504.jpeg

They're completely different desserts. You're fucking brain dead if you think a churro is the same as a funnel cake.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I'm a cheap ass, but I eat like 1 maybe 2 funnel cakes a year so I'll fork over the extra few dollars given I just spent over a grand for a pair of tickets to a football game.  The Texas State Fair funnel cakes are second to none and worth every penny dollar.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm a cheap ass, but I eat like 1 maybe 2 funnel cakes a year so I'll fork over the extra few dollars given I just spent over a grand for a pair of tickets to a football game.  The Texas State Fair funnel cakes are second to none and worth every penny dollar.

Anyone with a fried pastry in his username gets a free pass from me on such choices. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They're completely different desserts. You're fucking brain dead if you think a churro is the same as a funnel cake.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's like saying a biscuit is the same as a ciabatta bun, just stop you fucking Neanderthal.

are you able to read?  did public schools fail you?

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I walked in E gate 20minutes before the game and there was zero line.  D had about a 20-30min wait it appeared.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

To be fair they were under priced and just got correctly priced.

$8 for a corndog is correctly priced?

of course at a pro palace that's a discount

but a 100% price increase combined with the easily fixable shit they don't ever fix is worth bitching about while still adamantly supporting the idea the game can't move

the 2 are not either/or

the game doesn't move

fix the enshittification

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

$8 for a corndog is correctly priced?

of course at a pro palace that's a discount

but a 100% price increase combined with the easily fixable shit they don't ever fix is worth bitching about while still adamantly supporting the idea the game can't move

the 2 are not either/or

the game doesn't move

fix the enshittification

Poor

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Poor

This is the same guy that bitches about having to pay extra to watch games on a streaming service that's $5 a month. And he bitches every single time there's a game on that service. But his big protest of not buying the streaming service is going to turn the tide!

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This is the same guy that bitches about having to pay extra to watch games on a streaming service that's $5 a month. And he bitches every single time there's a game on that service. But his big protest of not buying the streaming service is going to turn the tide!

On October 25th he won’t be purchasing gas to boycott the Pride at the pump 💪 

The lines for coupons complaints always make me laugh and are very telling. 

People often just get in the first line they see and put absolute faith that all the people in line in front of them must have made a good decision.

There are places on the fairgrounds that never, never, never have more than two or three people in line for coupons. The reason why is that most people just get in line with the hordes right by Big Tex or some dumb fucking shit. 

If it's your first time there, I get it. Everybody's gotta learn. But if you've been more than two or three times and you're still getting stuck in super long lines for everything, you're not a very smart person.

Edited by TornACL
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, hornbri said:

I like the way nothing in that article explained why they are still holding on to coupons. 

Maybe it is sunk cost fallacy, maybe it is to reduce crime, i think it is just greed. The fair is just getting free money from all the tickets that get lost or go unused every year. 

It's not really an article. Zero journalistic effort went into writing that. It's nothing more than a recap of uninformed opinions offered on a Reddit thread.

This is what passes for journalism these days.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

i have principles of lust that are easy to understand

On 10/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, skilesare said:

The person in charge of coupon booths will likely be hung by the concession vendors.  I would imagine that they did 20% of the business they could have between 11:30 and 2:30 due to the lines at the coupon booths. 

applepay convenience has to supersede any advantage that coupons may have brought in 1982.

1982?  Try 1952.

15 hours ago, TornACL said:

The lines for coupons complaints always make me laugh and are very telling. 

People often just get in the first line they see and put absolute faith that all the people in line in front of them must have made a good decision.

There are places on the fairgrounds that never, never, never have more than two or three people in line for coupons. The reason why is that most people just get in line with the hordes right by Big Tex or some dumb fucking shit. 

If it's your first time there, I get it. Everybody's gotta learn. But if you've been more than two or three times and you're still getting stuck in super long lines for everything, you're not a very smart person.

My complaint with the coupon lines are they clog up the paths around the fair slowing everything to a crawl. Put those booths off the main paths and we're all good.

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My complaint with the coupon lines are they clog up the paths around the fair slowing everything to a crawl. Put those booths off the main paths and we're all good.

My annual observation is there is a line of 200 people for one booth in the middle of the main walkway and then tucked up against a building 100 feet away is a set of four credit card only kiosks that has 2 people in front of it.   Hell I even saw a 3 sided staffed booth that had 50 person lines on two opposing sides and the third side I walked by and waved to the lady inside.  we shrugged and laughed at the people in the lines to either side.

As a general rule, when you walk in the gates go to the second ticket booth, not the first one.  Get your tickets well before you get to Big Tex.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Lat22 said:

With the extra 3.5 hours to kill, I had time for my first turkey leg in a looooong time. Gotdamn it was good. 

And actually a Turkey Leg is one of the more reasonable priced things at the fair or amusement parks when you consider the amount of meat you get in one turkey leg. At least the last time I got a turkey leg, the cost was around $10. Much better and filling than paying $8 for one corn dog.

I probably wasn’t alone in witnessing the group of five or six 80-somethings in a scooter convoy trying to navigate wall-to-wall people around noon near Big Tex. Was halfway expecting one of them to do a Livia Soprano and put a few people on the ground. Even worse were (are) the idiotic parents (more than one instance) who chose to bring their 2 or 3-year old in a stroller on the most crowded day at the Fair, one full of drunkenness and assorted wayward behavior. The Fair runs for almost a month. Within that timeframe are plenty of Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Capitalize on those days. Take a day of PTO if need be. Just think twice about subjecting and bringing a really young child into the mass of people and lunacy that was this past Saturday. 

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

200,000 people were at the Fair on Texas OU Saturday according to The Ticket. That's just insane. For context, I believe 2.4 million people visited the Fair over the 24 days. 

Question for the 110,000 there without tickets for the game: What the fuck were you thinking?