The Fair on Game Day

TXSooner518

DART is a total clusterfuck tonight.  Got on at MLK and it took an hour and a half to go about 6 stops.  Stopped at every station for 10 minutes while we waited for "train traffic up ahead".  One point there was a medical emergency in the train ahead so more waiting.  Got two stops away, stopped and waited and waited.  Eventually they told us that we are free to get out and stretch our legs while the traffic ahead of us cleared.  At that point we bailed and took a Lyft to make our connection to the TRE.  As we passed by the fair park station there were tons of people waiting to get on but we couldn't take any more on.  Those folks might be there til tomorrow.   I guess DART didn't think there were going to be many riders leaving the fair tonight.   Ok rant over!

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

DART is a total clusterfuck tonight.  Got on at MLK and it took an hour and a half to go about 6 stops.  Stopped at every station for 10 minutes while we waited for "train traffic up ahead".  One point there was a medical emergency in the train ahead so more waiting.  Got two stops away, stopped and waited and waited.  Eventually they told us that we are free to get out and stretch our legs while the traffic ahead of us cleared.  At that point we bailed and took a Lyft to make our connection to the TRE.  As we passed by the fair park station there were tons of people waiting to get on but we couldn't take any more on.  Those folks might be there til tomorrow.   I guess DART didn't think there were going to be many riders leaving the fair tonight.   Ok rant over!

I was also caught up in this.  It was truly awful on DART leaving the stadium.  It was also a total pain in the ass to get into the stadium area 3 hours before the game on the DART buses.  Additionally, getting into the stadium gates was a total clusterfuck, as well.  Took over 45 minutes to get in, while waiting in 90+ degree heat.  Then no cell phone service the whole game.  Having it alongside the State Fair is cool, but for crying out loud fix this other shit!  

• Hook 'Em 1

Same. Total nightmare. Will not be doing that again.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

Fixing the entrance gate situation cannot happen fast enough. What a cluster to get into the game. We headed to the stadium at 1:30 and still took 45 minutes to get in  

People movement around the whole Fair seems to be getting shittier and shittier on Game Day.  There's all the fans there for the game and then you throw in that Texas and DFW keep growing and you get all the non-game folks there for a Saturday at the Fair and it's busting at the seams in a lot of places.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With the later kickoff, there seemed to have been a real sweet spot at the Fair till about 11am. mdleast and I got into the Fair a little before 10 and walked right up to an empty Fletcher's stand right after the Midway sign, across from the log flume ride. It was glorious. The food pavilion was easy to get through but where the fuck did my cinnamon roll go to? Fuckers quit on me. We had to swap for the cotton candy bacon on a stick. Got beer in our usual places that were fine. Funnel Cake Ale with the powdered sugar on the rim is a can't miss. No Spaten at the Hans Mueller tent. Disappointing but went with an Oktoberfest. Around 11am it started to get really packed. There's just too many people in those tiny streets and way too much ancillary shit everywhere to try to dodge. I think that's part of why there's such bottlenecks around the stadium. I'm hoping the new concourses next year will help. The stadium needs more entrances and exits. We did okay at Gate C and got in around 2:10. We grabbed some waters and went in right as the band was heading onto the field. The 2:30 kick is going to take some getting used to especially if it's going to be in the damn 90s most years. We were in 113 and it wasn't bad since the sun was behind us but leading up to it was shitty. Cooling towels really helped and at least there was a breeze. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Needed more water in the stadium. Twice waiting in line for 20-30 minutes only to learn it was Ultra or Ultra 

my 14 yo daughter doesn’t drink ultra. 

hilariously- when the scoreboard said no more alcohol sales after 3rd - she laughed and said “no beer? What will they sell? Empty cups?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

Lol people actually take the DART?

just drive and park for free like 1/2 mile away. Its not hard and its easy in, easy out. Left the cotton bowl after the last play at 6:06 and was in my room at the hyatt regency downtown at 6:39. Seriously

redemption for online coupon purchases is fucking stupid dumb. Not having extra staff/gates for just this game is dumb. 230 kick sucks compared to 11am. Renovations are gonna be awesome. Why the fuck do we still have to use coupons and not tap for pay?

Hat tip for next year.  Park at the other end of the Green Line (Buckner Station).  I was worried that it'd bottleneck downtown, so I tried out the south end of the Green Line and was back at my truck 15 mins after leaving the Fair.  We were back in Rowlett by 7.  Our train car had 5 people in it.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hat tip for next year.  Park at the other end of the Green Line (Buckner Station).  I was worried that it'd bottleneck downtown, so I tried out the south end of the Green Line and was back at my truck 15 mins after leaving the Fair.  We were back in Rowlett by 7.

I’ve done that going to the fair on a non football weekend and it works amazingly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hat tip for next year.  Park at the other end of the Green Line (Buckner Station).  I was worried that it'd bottleneck downtown, so I tried out the south end of the Green Line and was back at my truck 15 mins after leaving the Fair.  We were back in Rowlett by 7.  Our train car had 5 people in it.

That's a great idea!  Will be trying that out next year.

4 hours ago, Bevo in VA said:

Ah, so you and I were in the same car. FML. 

3 hours ago, hornbri said:

Fixing the entrance gate situation cannot happen fast enough. What a cluster to get into the game. We headed to the stadium at 1:30 and still took 45 minutes to get in  

I was at the gate at 1:30, and my tickets would not scan. Tickets that I bought directly from our athletic ticket office, BTW. Those assholes made me walk through 50,000 people going the opposite direction to Will Call so they could print me new tickets. And I was far from the only one. I made it to my seat just before despite trying to be in it 45 minutes early. These electronic tickets are bullshit.

I was irate. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I was at the gate at 1:30, and my tickets would not scan. Tickets that I bought directly from our athletic ticket office, BTW. Those assholes made me walk through 50,000 people going the opposite direction to Will Call so they could print me new tickets. And I was far from the only one. I made it to my seat just before despite trying to be in it 45 minutes early. These electronic tickets are bullshit.

I was irate. 

Similar experience, but we were in line for just over 60 minutes and didn't make it to our seats until after Quinn's int/ou's missed fg.  😡

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Too add, the Cotton Bowl yesterday was borderline dangerous.  My son left 2 mins before half to get water.  He came back after the game had resumed and said the line didn't move.  I tried again a few mins later.  Nothing.  It also felt like it was 150 degree in the concourse post-game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Every Texas fan on the ou sideline sections even the upper deck got the best day ever. Breeze was blowing and they had shade literally all game. I bought on Texas side and I would have spent another 400 a ticket to get out of that shit show. By the 4th qtr my upper deck section 126 was barely cheering the sun has drained everyone. Water on the upper decks was a joke and they ran out a few times. 11am please from Here on out please since 7pm isn’t an option. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It bottles the mind that someone who isn’t going to the game would decide to go to the state fair during TX/OU. Who thinks, “You know what would be fun? Being in the worlds biggest clusterfuck and waiting in line for an hour to eat some deep fried shit while it’s 95 degrees outside. And let’s bring the newborn while we’re at it!” It’s like Darwins fucking waiting room around there.

I used to love the fair back in the day. Now it’s a serious burden. I dread trying to navigate it. Getting into the stadium is a nightmare. It’s like they purposely set it up to be as big of a choke point as possible. Maybe it gets better when the reno is done but they just seem so incompetent at everything.

I think some in Dallas simply don't know the game is happening this weekend and that's the only day they can take the family which is odd since DISD Fair days were Thursday and Friday of this week but some folks can't get off work. And I get what you're saying about it being a burden. mdleast and I talked about is the juice worth the squeeze given all the shit you deal with around the game. I think the best thing if we're going to do 2:30 going forward is to get all our shit in early like Fletcher's and then just hang out at the Magnolia Lounge area where they have the TVs and just wait for the time to get into the stadium for kickoff. That's a lot better than the constant lines and crowding. I think the game needs to go back to 11 though. Just a better time to not kill everyone and to get people in quickly. 

The sun was a beating before the game but wasn't bad in 113. Cooling towels and multiple waters bought before we walked in helped. We dunked our towels in the ice water and it stayed cold for a good quarter. 2nd half the sun was behind us and then tucked behind the stadium and it was great. The real sweet spot is the lower level, press box side to corner in the 40th rows like the poster above had. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been to about 15 TX-OU games over the past 25 years and I’ve always been a huge proponent of keeping it at the Cotton Bowl, best game environment in all of college football, Jerryworld sucks, etc.

Yesterday was by far one of the worst gameday experiences of any game I’ve ever been to. Crowd control pre-game is awful and borderline dangerous. They should have daily capacity limits for the State Fair to limit the amount of people going in who aren’t attending the game for this one particular day. They need wider gates at the stadium with more ticket scanners to expedite movement.

Inside the Cotton Bowl was not much better. It was elbow to elbow everywhere, which maybe that’s always been the case and I was just more annoyed because of the clusterfuck outside the stadium. Hopefully the renovations and new concourses will help.

The worst thing of all was the lack of water, food, and beer in the stadium. I left my seat in the second quarter to get more water and the upper level concessions had a line 75-100 people long. I skipped it and went back to my seat. Tried again a few minutes before half and lines were gone because the concessions were out…of everything. No water, no shitty Pepsi products, no chips, nothing. Went downstairs and the lines were long as well, waited for a few minutes in a line and then they ran out of water, only beer. Left that line and went to another very long line with water, realized I would miss the entire 3rd quarter in that line, so I went near the front and gave a random girl $20 for her to buy me 2 waters.

The beer guys were also running out of beer from what I saw. I luckily wasn’t planning on drinking yesterday but the booze options appeared to be Bud Light, Ultra, or White Claw, if you could even get one. Gross.

Awful concessions. How go you have 100k people at a stadium in 95F heat and not plan better on water? Running out in the first half? That’s a major problem.

At the end of the day, I was there to watch Texas beat the hell outta OU, and we got that done, so I left happy. I am hoping for some significant improvements in at least the stadium before next year.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

JerryWorld will never be an option, this take always cracks me up.  The only thing keeping it at the Cotton Bowl is tradition.  The millionaire and billionaire luxury suite owners in Austin and Norman aren't about to let the game move to Jerry's stadium where they'd be forced to kiss Jerry's ring and rent out suites from him.  If this game ever leaves the Cotton Bowl, it'll go home-and-home so that Longhorn and sooner BMDs can host the biggest rivalry game in all of football, in their own suites.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hahahahahh fuck this. What a shitty take

I understand what you’re saying. After further review, I’d rather make it a home and home instead of Jerryworld because fuck Jerryworld. 

16 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Yesterday was #40 for me and for the first time, I’d consider Jerryworld as an option. It was a clusterfuck in every possible way. Wild Turkey outlined it beautifully. 

Better you just stay home than it gets moved there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

JerryWorld will never be an option, this take always cracks me up.  The only thing keeping it at the Cotton Bowl is tradition.  The millionaire and billionaire luxury suite owners in Austin and Norman aren't about to let the game move to Jerry's stadium where they'd be forced to kiss Jerry's ring and rent out suites from him.  If this game ever leaves the Cotton Bowl, it'll go home-and-home so that Longhorn and sooner BMDs can host the biggest rivalry game in all of football, in their own suites.

Agreed. I think people who are angry about the experience yesterday need to email or tweet CDC. The contract has to stipulate concession requirements. I know the renovations will create more outdoor terraces on the upper levels so I'd imagine they will move a lot of the booths out there so that will free up the concourses. There's supposed to be escalators going in between the press box to endzones on both the Texas and OU ends. More stairs to lead down from the upper level and I think you can circumnavigate the upper level. Basically the front where everyone is packed in will be redone. I said upthread a big problem is all the stupid shit around the stadium that needs to move out. The dumb hospitality tent outside the Texas endzone that makes everyone get bottlenecked trying to get around it. All the dumb shit on the north end main entrance that bottles up people. We found a nice set of staircases near the press box that take you right down from the upper level to just under the main stairs. That made it a lot easier to get out because I don't think anyone is aware they exist. I'm not sure the extent of what they plan on renovating the non-press box side. I think the focus is the front entrance area and alleviating the bottlenecks there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It sounds like most of the problems were actually external to the Cotton Bowl itself, despite its inherent shortcomings that are tolerated for the sake of tradition.

No, the Cotton Bowl itself was the worst part. They were practically out of water by halftime for a 2:30 game in 95F weather. You simply can’t run out of water. It’s a safety issue if nothing else.

DKR has massive water dispensers in the concourses so you can refill a water bottle if you need to. It was near impossible to buy a water in the Cotton Bowl and there were no options to refill your empty bottle. Even their water fountains had plastic wrap taped across them.

The concession lines were extremely long and there are no TVs in the concourses so you will completely miss a chunk of the game while waiting to hopefully buy whatever you need if the line you chose doesn’t completely run out before you get to the front. I’ve never seen anything like it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Agreed. I think people who are angry about the experience yesterday need to email or tweet CDC. The contract has to stipulate concession requirements. I know the renovations will create more outdoor terraces on the upper levels so I'd imagine they will move a lot of the booths out there so that will free up the concourses. There's supposed to be escalators going in between the press box to endzones on both the Texas and OU ends. More stairs to lead down from the upper level and I think you can circumnavigate the upper level. Basically the front where everyone is packed in will be redone. I said upthread a big problem is all the stupid shit around the stadium that needs to move out. The dumb hospitality tent outside the Texas endzone that makes everyone get bottlenecked trying to get around it. All the dumb shit on the north end main entrance that bottles up people. We found a nice set of staircases near the press box that take you right down from the upper level to just under the main stairs. That made it a lot easier to get out because I don't think anyone is aware they exist. I'm not sure the extent of what they plan on renovating the non-press box side. I think the focus is the front entrance area and alleviating the bottlenecks there. 

100%.  Go to CDC with your issues, he really does react to fan concerns when he can.  The State Fair and the City of Dallas want to keep this game, they've put a lot of money into renovations over the past 20 years and they're putting a lot more into it now.  Most of the issues can be addressed with some common sense and some properly applied pressure.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yesterday was #40 for me and for the first time, I’d consider Jerryworld as an option.

I would rather dissolve the football program than see this game played in Jerryworld because I’ve seen Big 12 championships played there and that place has the environment of playing in a Costco. Screw that.

That said, the State Fair and Cotton Bowl experience needs to drastically improve. I know renovations are planned so I will hope for the best.
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Better you just stay home than it gets moved there. 

As an old who has stopped going to games entirely due to it just not being physically comfortable, I agree. 

Do not change shit just to accommodate people in my position. Too fat? Too old? Too needy? Stay the fuck away, there are PLENTY of young/able-enough people to keep the good shit alive. And those of us who are past those days, we can enjoy Texas whipping the fuck out of the Sooners on a nice couch in front of a giant TV.

Spoiler

(There should be free water dispensers, though.)

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Those of you bitching about the weather, this was like my 36th TX/OU (started going as a kid) and this wasn't even a Top 5 miserable weather TX/OU (and I was on the east side so no shade)  Yea it was 92-93 but it was dry, there was a breeze.  I'll take that any day over some of the mid-80s humid as fuck affairs or of course, games like 2000 where it was 50 and raining.  If yesterday broke you down weather wise you might want to consider Bad_Teammates post.  If these teams are good, this game will continue to be at 2:30 most of the time in the SEC, so get used to it.  

As I and others have mentioned, logistics need to be dealt with.  

• Hook 'Em 3

11am is the only option. if 2:30 is bad and it is for crowd and traffic I cannot imagine a 7pm game at the fair and having to leave. And I wanted a 7pm game too. No thanks. Hands down the worst game experience I've had in the 30 years I've attended. First game I was 16 and watched the 94 stonie clark blast heard round the world.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

No, the Cotton Bowl itself was the worst part. They were practically out of water by halftime for a 2:30 game in 95F weather. You simply can’t run out of water. It’s a safety issue if nothing else.

DKR has massive water dispensers in the concourses so you can refill a water bottle if you need to. It was near impossible to buy a water in the Cotton Bowl and there were no options to refill your empty bottle. Even their water fountains had plastic wrap taped across them.

The concession lines were extremely long and there are no TVs in the concourses so you will completely miss a chunk of the game while waiting to hopefully buy whatever you need if the line you chose doesn’t completely run out before you get to the front. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Well, neither of those things are inherent to the Cotton Bowl itself.  TVs and water dispensers can be installed.  External was probably the wrong word choice on my part.  Perhaps exogenous would have been a better choice.

The majority of the issues seem to be crowd handling and poor planning.

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I would rather dissolve the football program than see this game played in Jerryworld because I’ve seen Big 12 championships played there and that place has the environment of playing in a Costco. Screw that.

That said, the State Fair and Cotton Bowl experience needs to drastically improve. I know renovations are planned so I will hope for the best.

Fuck Jerry Jones, but let's not drag Costco into this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

the problem is not the stadium

all of the problems are caused by an enshittified dipshit culture entrenched in 1974

it's the people that are in control of the stadium, the fair and the trains

that's not us, it's not the thieves, and it's not the city of dallas

let's start with trains

at the conclusion of european soccer games in large stadiums, the nearest train stations have a dozen trains lined up ready to go; fill one, next one pulls up, and there is no "waiting for other traffic"; DART functions like american airlines - there is a schedule - and if anything irrops everything completely craters

for the ingress, they staff adequately with enough security lanes to process at-capacity trainfulls of people in minutes

the 230 kick in theory TRIPLES the amount of capacity with a "every 10 minutes schedule" and properly managed by professionals using all of their rolling stock running a train every 5 minutes they should be able to ingress and egress 25000 people with EASE

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I was irate. 

Same thing here. Tickets bought as part of my season ticket package. Download straight to my wallet. No prior problems. But tickets would not scan and had to trek to the box office - which of course was at the far end of the stadium in the OU side. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

11am is the only option. if 2:30 is bad and it is for crowd and traffic I cannot imagine a 7pm game at the fair and having to leave. And I wanted a 7pm game too. No thanks. Hands down the worst game experience I've had in the 30 years I've attended. First game I was 16 and watched the 94 stonie clark blast heard round the world.

Logistically, there is no way to get people out of the Fair Park area after 10pm. I've attended Fourth of July fireworks at the Cotton Bowl. There's maybe 30,000 people there if I'm being conservative. The traffic to get out is easily an hour. The streets are too tiny and the DART line cuts off the easiest access to the highway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And on another note, the Cotton Bowl may be a dump but for being able to view the game of football it is almost without peer from a sight line perspective.  

True, unless you're in the lower level behind the pillars. We once sat in row 65 under the overhang and it felt like we weren't even at the game. I think that was 2010 which was another Mack shitfest. They put in TVs under there so people can keep up with the action but you can't see a punt or deep throw. The pillars start at row 49 so anything after and you might get an obstructed view. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

As an old who has stopped going to games entirely due to it just not being physically comfortable, I agree. 

Do not change shit just to accommodate people in my position. Too fat? Too old? Too needy? Stay the fuck away, there are PLENTY of young/able-enough people to keep the good shit alive. And those of us who are past those days, we can enjoy Texas whipping the fuck out of the Sooners on a nice couch in front of a giant TV.

Reveal hidden contents

(There should be free water dispensers, though.)

Seconded.

We stopped going 10 years ago, but still buy 4 tickets so family members can take our place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Let's be honest. The stadium is a problem because it was never meant to house 100,000+ people. It was only ever meant to hold 65K. The buildout should've been a lot wider but they were working with the existing footprint. The endzone concourses are way too tiny and you throw in restrooms, concessions, water/beer stands, then it's a recipe for a clogged mess. The ability to get from the outside to the upper level is bad and vice versa. Like I said before, I think the renovations will address this. More entrances and exits. Escalators and more stairs to get people inside and out. Open areas to put in more concessions. It should help.

From this:

Screenshot2023-12-06at2_35_39PM.thumb.png.cc0d82c05fd6086a58a7cb5af7f21e82.png

To this:

GAsGB8RWcAAfCpx.thumb.jpg.a00c7fb7c1d7fc5c82cc3382b82927c8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1