Long Term Rental vs Airbnb/VRBO (as the owner)

My girlfriend has to go back to Mexico for most of 2025 to finish her degree and the stupid internship BS Mexico requires.

I plan to rent out my house in SW Austin for a year, either LTR or STR. LTR sounds much easier, but I wanted to get advice/pros/cons from anyone here that does it.

In that situation, LTR all the way.

STR's are a pain, and won't always be rented. Plus the headaches you'll be trying to deal with from another country, even if it's just Mexico.

If it was a beach/vacation destination, then maybe the extra during the summer makes up for the less busy times. That's not the case here. And with a LTR, you won't be paying the bills. STR, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

For LTR, furnished or unfurnished? If I rent as furnished, I would still have to put a bunch of shit in storage, stuff I can't transport to Mexico but that I wouldn't want renters having access to.

If I was moving somewhere for 6-12 months, sure I wouldn't mind furnishing it, but if it was a 1, 2 even 3 month kind of thing....fuck moving shit for that short of a stay.  It probably depends on how flexible you want to be and how you position the LTR minimum.

And yea, take down the sex swing for sure.  

market has been overwhelmed by STR and that's not really renting it's straight up hospitality which is a complete and total pain in the ass (we were in this business from 2017-2023 and it suuuucked even when we made good money). minimum 30 days really is a hybrid. rent furnished for a year, it's one tenant you have to find then it should be done and easy. less money but it doesn't seem like money is the complete driver here, easy seems important here too.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

House in Austin? Definitely LTR. 12 month lease if you don’t need to be back in the house in less than a year. If it’s priced right you’ll have 10+ renters to choose from. 

This. No need to complicate it. 

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

For LTR, furnished or unfurnished? If I rent as furnished, I would still have to put a bunch of shit in storage, stuff I can't transport to Mexico but that I wouldn't want renters having access to.

Every surface in the entire home will be jizzed on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Every surface in the entire home will be jizzed on. 

This is actually a key difference between long term and short term renters to consider.  Long term renters shit and piss all over everything, short term renters jizz and vomit all over everything.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

When I bought my first house, we really didn't know the people h door.  The wife was a bit cunty.  She warmed up eventually and we all became pretty neighborly, but, at the time of these events, we didn't really know them.  

I noticed them load up their car with luggage and leave.  Over the next several days, there were a few people I noticed coming and going, and on a saturday, there were a half-dozen cars there. 

fast forward to the following sunday.  Late in the evening, they return from their vacation and immediately put their kids to bed.  Then, as they are ready to go to bed themselves, they pull back the sheets.  Jizz, piss, shit, you name it     They run into the kids rooms, pull them out of bed, and it's the same.  Every bed in the house has been fucked in,  jizz on the sofa, lube bottles in the garbage, etc.  

They had hired a girl from the vet clinic to "pet sit" and she threw some wild sex parties.    The neighbors told me later, after we became friendly.  They replaced every mattress, threw away everything in the fridge (especially the ranch dressing and mayo), bought new linens, etc.  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

When I bought my first house, we really didn't know the people h door.  The wife was a bit cunty.  She warmed up eventually and we all became pretty neighborly, but, at the time of these events, we didn't really know them.  

I noticed them load up their car with luggage and leave.  Over the next several days, there were a few people I noticed coming and going, and on a saturday, there were a half-dozen cars there. 

fast forward to the following sunday.  Late in the evening, they return from their vacation and immediately put their kids to bed.  Then, as they are ready to go to bed themselves, they pull back the sheets.  Jizz, piss, shit, you name it     They run into the kids rooms, pull them out of bed, and it's the same.  Every bed in the house has been fucked in,  jizz on the sofa, lube bottles in the garbage, etc.  

They had hired a girl from the vet clinic to "pet sit" and she threw some wild sex parties.    The neighbors told me later, after we became friendly.  They replaced every mattress, threw away everything in the fridge (especially the ranch dressing and mayo), bought new linens, etc.  

Name of Pet sitter?  for @tx 3 putt of course