Unpopular movie opinions

30 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

This is fair. It's a very Denzel type thing in that mostly everything is top notch but it's literally the same character 

Speaking of Denzel. I yelled at the kids the other day, "SHOE PROGRAM! 23 HOUR LOCK DOWN!"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. He won the Oscar because he did something different. 

And so did Keaton. 

Denzel has 2 Oscars and 10 noms.

Keaton has 0 wins and 1 nom. 

Granted this is the type of film knowledge I'd expect from this thread. 

Probably not unpopular among movie critics and snobs, but among most people— Master and Commander was by far the best picture of its year and was miles ahead of LOTR: Return of the King where some of Jackon’s worst impulses shine. LOTR: The Two Towers was better and should have beaten Chicago (which is forgettable) but Road to Perdition was better than both.

Apocalyoto is one of the best movies of the last 25 years, period. Completely succeeds as a pure action and chase movie. But it’s also shot in Yucatec Maya and is deliberately ambiguous about the current popular interpretation of pre-Colombian America. It’s some real auteur shit and it isn’t recognized because Mel Gibson is a lunatic crypto-Nazi and because it says some uncomfortable things about pre-Colombian America. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 9

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Probably not unpopular among movie critics and snobs, but among most people— Master and Commander was by far the best picture of its year and was miles ahead of LOTR: Return of the King where some of Jackon’s worst impulses shine. LOTR: The Two Towers was better and should have beaten Chicago (which is forgettable) but Road to Perdition was better than both.

Apocalyoto is one of the best movies of the last 25 years, period. Completely succeeds as a pure action and chase movie. But it’s also shot in Yucatec Maya and is deliberately ambiguous about the current popular interpretation of pre-Colombian America. It’s some real auteur shit and it isn’t recognized because Mel Gibson is a lunatic crypto-Nazi and because it says some uncomfortable things about pre-Colombian America. 

image.gif.2082ad03240d2db77477daccf89ff2da.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Damn. You’re right. I could have sworn Keaton won for Birdman. 

I was just busting your balls.

Gun to my head I'd have guessed he had one or at least more than 1 nom.

One of Denzel's is a supporting.

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Master and Commander was by far the best picture of its year and was miles ahead of LOTR: Return of the King where some of Jackon’s worst impulses shine. LOTR: The Two Towers was better and should have beaten Chicago (which is forgettable) but Road to Perdition was better than both.

It sounds like you just don't like Lord of The Rings that much. Which is fine.

Well you're in the right thread.

I'm a big fan of both M&C and Road to Perdition. Lost in Translation is also awesome. I like Apocalypto but don't love it. 

I think all 3 LOTR should have won Best Picture, personally.

8 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’d agree that a lot of classic 80’s stuff doesn’t hold up but casdyshack does.

Shawshank Redemption is almost perfect in my opinion but I can see why it’s not for everyone. I identify with Andy Dusfrene for some reason 

Of course Caddyshack holds up. So does Airplane, Weird Science, Vacation, Christmas Vacation, European Vacation, Major League, Naked Gun, and Coming to America. His opinion is unpopular because it’s fucking laughably wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

The drunken bar scene and Bill Paxton’s entire persona hold up. I will fight you. 

I like weird science - watched it for the first time rather recently. Anthony Michael Hall was a ridiculously good teen actor. 

Just thought it was funny that of all of his classics Weird Science made the list.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I was just busting your balls.

Gun to my head I'd have guessed he had one or at least more than 1 nom.

One of Denzel's is a supporting.

It sounds like you just don't like Lord of The Rings that much. Which is fine.

clerks-clerks-ii.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Return of the King was way too long. Mystic River should have won Best Picture in 2004. 

Return of the King winning in 2004 feels like a mea culpa for Two Towers not winning in 2003. 

Mystic River is fantastic and IMO Eastwood’s best.  Honestly of all the LOTR movies, Fellowship of the Ring was best versus its competition. Much better than A Beautiful Mind, which is not worth watching again after the gimmick is revealed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

While nothing like the book (should have had a different title)

World War Z holds up incredibly well. Great score, non offensive CGI, solid to great acting and a tight 120min run time. Just a well made zombie movie (even if the twilight purist have problems with zombie movie law). 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 10/11/2024 at 4:58 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Great take on Apocalypto. It's a masterpiece and the ending is astounding.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/14/2024 at 3:40 AM, notre dame joe said:

There will never be another truly epic film because no producer is going to pay for thousands of extras instead of cgi. 

When you watch the behind the scenes and making of saying all 3 should have won isn't unreasonable. 

No one had done anything like that before and to your point it probably will never be done again.

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

While nothing like the book (should have had a different title)

World War Z holds up incredibly well. Great score, non offensive CGI, solid to great acting and a tight 120min run time. Just a well made zombie movie (even if the twilight purist have problems with zombie movie law). 

I think I Am Legend is underrated and holds up very well.

Saw Tombstone for the first time a couple weekends ago. The whole love story angle truly sucked. I wanted to hate the rest of it but I actually liked it, had several great characters. 

The Alamo (2004) was a great movie and Billy Bob stole the show. Everything after Crockett getting executed should’ve been cut

The Great Gatsby (2013) is nothing but a fun, fantastic movie

Bridesmaids is one of the better comedies of the past 15 years

Godzilla: Minus One should’ve won best foreign film last year 

Star Wars sucks. All of them, objectively 

Godfather is boring and unrealistic as any comic book movie. 

No Country for Old Men was a great movie, but lol at anyone thinking Chigurh is a realistic character or portrayal of evil. No “hitman” (those don’t exist btw) is going to risk killing as many random people as he did for no reason

Counterpoint : hand puppet Jaguar head.

23 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

The problem with I Am Legend was that the book was staggeringly better than the movie they made out of it. 

Were the zombie/vampire/infected also superhuman in the book?  That detail made no sense and ruined the movie for me.

Eh.  Fellowship of the Ring was the best of the three but when they gave the Oscar to Return of the King it was really for the entire trilogy.  

Also, movie critics are pompous mirthless blowhards that don't know shit, so there is that.