Unpopular movie opinions

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

The Alamo (2004) was a great movie and Billy Bob stole the show. Everything after Crockett getting executed should’ve been cut

Haha, I’m going to go half-Lobo on this one.  I saw this at the premiere in Austin with John Lee Hancock in attendance.  I had followed production and he said it was his dream project (we had a mutual acquaintance and connected previously over our love of Willie Morris).  If you had followed the property, it had been in development hell for a decade or more and pretty much every hot shit screenwriter had done a draft.  Hancock would parlay his success shooting the low budget The Rookie, and part of why he was able to get attached was that his script would be a lot cheaper than the previous iterations.  

Anyway, the movie wasn’t bad, but the vibe in the theater was underwhelming and you could just feel the anxiety during the post screening Q&A.  Obviously Billy Bob Thornton killed, but everything else seemed like one of those TNT historical TV series but without any of the depth to actually connect to the characters.  I do recall Harry Knowles was there, slobbering over Hancock and trying to pretend he saw a different movie.  

On 10/10/2024 at 9:54 AM, Texzilla58 said:

The Sound of Music is the worst garbage ever.  Von Trapp was an Austrian Nazi.  Maria was a gold digging whore.

Heard a great podcast about some women who grew up not having the second VHS (or Beta) of Sound of Music.  To her the movie ended with the Hitler Youth guy kissing the hot daughter (not the blond [pedobear]) and the hot older daughter going weeeee!

When she learned that there was a second half where Julie Andrews came back and they all ran from the Nazis it blew her mind.

Plus,

On 10/10/2024 at 10:13 AM, HouTex said:

Shawshank Redemption is way overrated.  I’ve tried to get through it several times and I’m bored to death and stop watching.  

That is unpopular because it totally fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I appreciate this, because I've never gotten past how great it is.

Who are the guilty parties?  And are they also drunken buffoons?

Fugit is terrible throughout, as is Deschanel. The guy playing Ben Fong Torres is also really bad. 

8 hours ago, Da Fino said:

The problem with I Am Legend was that the book was staggeringly better than the movie they made out of it. 

The movie needed a different title. It’s fine as a movie but the book explains why the main character is a “legend.”  And the vampires are more interesting because of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Fugit is terrible throughout, as is Deschanel. The guy playing Ben Fong Torres is also really bad. 

Interesting observation.  And I can't argue with the Fugit part (I kind of fell in love with the Deschanel character.  Like I did with most of the movie.)  But his weird acting actually helped you focus on the other characters.  He didn't insist upon himself.  He was just a weird, young kid.

But I also like your observation because rock/pop music is like that.  Much of it is "bad" and unfinished and unclean, and it's the badness that makes you remember it.  I can think of two example that many people would find to be messy or unpolished, but are just fantastic and perfect.  So in a weird way, bad lovable acting is just like the music that we fall in love with.  Most times you forget it but sometimes you fall head over heels for it when you don't expect it. 

17 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

i loved that movie but admit i haven't seen it in over a decade. i have a real issue with how they chose to end it, as i feel like it makes no sense. i've had this conversation/argument on this board more than a few times, but i stand by it. good movie, bad wrap up.

Fugit was fine.  Not everyone is Chalamet or DiCaprio talented when they are 15.

Almost Famous’ biggest problem is that Crudup is admirably trying but Crowe originally wanted Brad Pitt and that Tyler Dursen charisma.  

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i loved that movie but admit i haven't seen it in over a decade. i have a real issue with how they chose to end it, as i feel like it makes no sense. i've had this conversation/argument on this board more than a few times, but i stand by it. good movie, bad wrap up.

Yeah I remember that. Your issue was how the magazine just totally shit all over him based on that one phone call between the fact checker and a band member. I can't watch that movie now without thinking of that every time. 

And for the record, I fucking love that movie. If you haven't seen the extended director's cut, you're missing out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I remember that. Your issue was how the magazine just totally shit all over him based on that one phone call between the fact checker and a band member. I can't watch that movie now without thinking of that every time. 

yeah, they fucking loved it. then got off the phone with the band who denied it "denied it!" says that annoying rolling stone girl. then torres shakes his head with a "i can't believe i trusted you" look, which makes no sense.

then, you can hear someone say "what did you expect, he's just a fan", which again, makes no sense, because a fan would've written the opposite of what he wrote.

and then later, it's like oh, i called them and said you told the truth, so they fixed it lol.

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Fugit was fine.  Not everyone is Chalamet or DiCaprio talented when they are 15.

Almost Famous’ biggest problem is that Crudup is admirably trying but Crowe originally wanted Brad Pitt and that Tyler Dursen charisma.  

This was on again the other night, so I watched it for the 100th time.  I think I agree that Fugit was fine.  He's an awkward 17 year old playing an awkward 15 year old.  If he was smooth, it would be a little weird.  In the bigger moments ("I AM THE ENEMY" and "I LOVED HER"), he's not great, but in the quieter moments, I think he plays the wide eyed kid well.

I do disagree on the Crudup/Pitt thing. I think with Pitt, it's a different movie, and the whole movie would be imbalanced.  That kind of super wattage would take away from the movie.  The strength of the movie is the scruffiness of it with smaller actors reflecting the level of the band who isn't quite there yet.  It would have made more money, but I don't think it would feel as casual or rewatchable.  

I do want to add one thing.  Every time I watch it, I love Jason Lee more.  He's such a charismatic and fun performer ("actually, THAT you can print").   He had a fine career and is beloved by men of a certain age, but I wish he had more shots like this.

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, they fucking loved it. then got off the phone with the band who denied it "denied it!" says that annoying rolling stone girl. then torres shakes his head with a "i can't believe i trusted you" look, which makes no sense.

then, you can hear someone say "what did you expect, he's just a fan", which again, makes no sense, because a fan would've written the opposite of what he wrote.

and then later, it's like oh, i called them and said you told the truth, so they fixed it lol.

Crowe lived that character, for the most part. Are we sure something like that didn't really happen?

On 10/15/2024 at 12:10 PM, Helobious said:

Is it unpopular to say reading is no different than watching TV or sitting there scrolling tiktok? They all involve you passively sitting there not creating anything or being productive. 

This is the dumbest opinion on this thread.  Reading requires you to form the images in your head to imagine the visuals of the story being told to you. Being read a story as a child and imagining it in your own head was probably the very first creative thing you ever did (and last for some of you).   It’s not passive at all, it requires thought. There are decades and decades of studies showing that reading improves your capacity for learning in ways that screen time definitely does not.   

On 10/15/2024 at 12:10 PM, Helobious said:
Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stringer said:

This was on again the other night, so I watched it for the 100th time.  I think I agree that Fugit was fine.  He's an awkward 17 year old playing an awkward 15 year old.  If he was smooth, it would be a little weird.  In the bigger moments ("I AM THE ENEMY" and "I LOVED HER"), he's not great, but in the quieter moments, I think he plays the wide eyed kid well.

I do disagree on the Crudup/Pitt thing. I think with Pitt, it's a different movie, and the whole movie would be imbalanced.  That kind of super wattage would take away from the movie.  The strength of the movie is the scruffiness of it with smaller actors reflecting the level of the band who isn't quite there yet.  It would have made more money, but I don't think it would feel as casual or rewatchable.  

I do want to add one thing.  Every time I watch it, I love Jason Lee more.  He's such a charismatic and fun performer ("actually, THAT you can print").   He had a fine career and is beloved by men of a certain age, but I wish he had more shots like this.

Without Jason Lee, several Kevin Smith movies would be forgettable 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2024 at 11:36 AM, Helobious said:

No Country for Old Men was a great movie, but lol at anyone thinking Chigurh is a realistic character or portrayal of evil. No “hitman” (those don’t exist btw) is going to risk killing as many random people as he did for no reason

Chigurh was a psychopathic killer and thought Javier Bardem’s portrayal might have been the most realistic ever.

On 10/15/2024 at 3:22 PM, LCHorn said:

Haha, I’m going to go half-Lobo on this one.  I saw this at the premiere in Austin with John Lee Hancock in attendance.  I had followed production and he said it was his dream project (we had a mutual acquaintance and connected previously over our love of Willie Morris).  If you had followed the property, it had been in development hell for a decade or more and pretty much every hot shit screenwriter had done a draft.  Hancock would parlay his success shooting the low budget The Rookie, and part of why he was able to get attached was that his script would be a lot cheaper than the previous iterations.  

Anyway, the movie wasn’t bad, but the vibe in the theater was underwhelming and you could just feel the anxiety during the post screening Q&A.  Obviously Billy Bob Thornton killed, but everything else seemed like one of those TNT historical TV series but without any of the depth to actually connect to the characters.  I do recall Harry Knowles was there, slobbering over Hancock and trying to pretend he saw a different movie.  

Always thought Alamo 2004 was doomed once Ron Howard walked away.

On 10/16/2024 at 4:38 PM, Stringer said:

Alvin and the chipmunks was powerhouse filmmaking. 

Here’s a high res version of Blood In, Blood Out I found in YouTube a while back. Enjoy!

One semester in college back in the late 90’s my roommates and I decided to drop cable and had a Blood In, Blood Out VHS and wore that thing out. It was on loop for almost the entirety of 1999. We knew every word of every line to a 3+ hour movie. Good times!

On 10/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, mr. sunshine said:

I used to watch the CBS Evening News with my father every week day when I was a kid. It was anchored by some fellow named Cronkite back then. Followed the war in Vietnam, Manson, Watergate, etc. Anywho I still remember the first TV ad for Star Wars and him declaring it "a bunch of crap."

But I also remember him saying AC/DC were a bunch of homos just based on the cover of Highway to Hell so it's not like he was clairvoyant or anything

Are we talking about your dad, or Cronkite, saying these things?

1 hour ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Here’s a high res version of Blood In, Blood Out I found in YouTube a while back. Enjoy!

One semester in college back in the late 90’s my roommates and I decided to drop cable and had a Blood In, Blood Out VHS and wore that thing out. It was on loop for almost the entirety of 1999. We knew every word of every line to a 3+ hour movie. Good times!

Give me some chon chon!