Hearing Aids

So, starting to research hearing aids for my dad. He needs a new pair.

He was going through the VA but dealing with them is another story in itself. We are not going that route this round.

Curious if there are “superior” brands or new technologies that I can review. 

Appreciate any thoughts.

I just bought one for an ear that went bad due to an inner ear disorder. I decided to buy a high quality one because my military buddy said the one he got from the VA was problematic. I chose the Oticon Intent 1. It’s $3k for each ear. But it uses AI to optimize sound in your ear. I’ve been extremely happy with it so far. I’ve had none of the issues otherscomplain about with theirs. My MIL also got Oticon Real, a previous generation design and she loves them. 

Phonak has a brand new one that is coming out that is supposed to also be hot shit. But it wasn’t available yet when I purchased. Spend money on quality. You wear them all day every day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I have one bad ear (thanks a lot hair metal), and got one from Costco a little less than a year ago.  Phillips.  I am not terribly impressed.  I need to check and see if any local hearing centers will allow a trial run before forking over something like $3K for one (the Phillips was $750 at Costco) to see if there is a big enough difference.

Since hearing loss is different for everyone, there is not one brand that is best for everyone. One that works for me may not work for you. Go see a doctor, have them test you to see what you need, and then try out several pairs. It took me a while to find a pair that worked for me and even longer to get that pair dialed in, but I'm grateful I did it.