Suzanne Simpson, the disappearing San Antonio realtor (UT alum)

chainsaw

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Yeah I know, I should have been clearer that he was the one I was quoting.

I understand trying to dogpile him with shame into saying something incriminating, but that kind of shit can backfire. We don't need unforced errors in the form of a stronger "coerced confession" defense.

Just heard Amanda Knox on the ticket this morning and her view of coerced confessions was interesting. According to her research, a lot of innocent, intelligent people end up confessing because of the mind games they play in interrogation rooms. 

I had an opportunity to watch police interrogate a serial rapist a few years ago. It was pretty fascinating how they got him to admit to the crimes. Of course in that instance he was guilty as hell. 

10 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Oh fuck. They'll never find her. Who knows where that dumpster was dumped. I actually had to fire my trash company due to inability to regularly pick up trash.

Landfills have to keep meticulous logs of where each dumpster load gets dropped.  They should be able to pinpoint it relatively quickly.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Just heard Amanda Knox on the ticket this morning and her view of coerced confessions was interesting. According to her research, a lot of innocent, intelligent people end up confessing because of the mind games they play in interrogation rooms. 

I had an opportunity to watch police interrogate a serial rapist a few years ago. It was pretty fascinating how they got him to admit to the crimes. Of course in that instance he was guilty as hell. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-05-24/police-pressured-him-to-confess-to-a-murder-that-never-happened-now-fontana-will-pay-him-900-000

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Bookman said:

This example describes one of the tactics they used on Amanda Knox to get her to “confess”. They told her she was traumatized and didn’t remember committing the murder, but they had extensive evidence she did it. Of course they lied.  

I worked the murder of the math teacher out in Hutto. She was put in a trash can and then that went to the dump, down near Creedmore. There was so much trash on top of her, unfortunately, that we knew the general area but she was down about 7 or 8 feet. We tried using air sniffers and probing down but could never recover her. It was pretty sad when the Ranger said it was time to go because there was no way we would find her. 

• Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, coachherman'sgrill said:

I worked the murder of the math teacher out in Hutto. She was put in a trash can and then that went to the dump, down near Creedmore. There was so much trash on top of her, unfortunately, that we knew the general area but she was down about 7 or 8 feet. We tried using air sniffers and probing down but could never recover her. It was pretty sad when the Ranger said it was time to go because there was no way we would find her. 

I assume if they can’t find the body that there is enough serious circumstantial evidence to get a shot at a conviction anyway.   I found a Ricky Allen Nissbet case from an appellate circuit that allowed a homicide conviction without a body based primarily on circumstantial evidence, but I did not see that it got overturned.  It would be great for the family to have the body for closure, but it seems like they can maybe send them away for a long damn time even if they don’t find her

13 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

It's just typical frat bitching. I was at UT and pledged the same year as Brad (but not Pike).

Pikes were fairly normal. Not complete dorks (like Betas) or cokehead rapists (like SAE).

We had our share of dorks like everyone.  Legacies and others sometimes get in.  But for the most part, as far as frats go, we were pretty diverse.  We had some blue bloods, regular guys not with a lot money, small town guys, etc. That was early 80’s.  College was fun.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Has there ever been a case where the woman went missing and everyone thought it was the husband but it turns out she actually cut and run? Other than Gone Girl.

That’s highly unlikely with what we know at this point.  Pretty hard to cut and run with no id, credit cards, phone, ect and make it very long these days.  

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

That’s highly unlikely with what we know at this point.  Pretty hard to cut and run with no id, credit cards, phone, ect and make it very long these days.  

I don't think that's what happened here, was just wondering if it'd ever happened before.

18 hours ago, Mittens said:

We had tall white guys, short white guys, fat white guys, skinny white guys, tan white guys, pasty white guys.  

We even had Jews!

15 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

There was a Texas Pike I knew that was convicted of bank robbery - from inside the bank!

Yep, he was a few years before my time.  

15 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

There was a Texas Pike I knew that was convicted of bank robbery - from inside the bank!

ZBT had one too, circa '92...guy robbed a bank on the Drag.  Big article in The Texas Monthly about it not long after the conviction.  He's out now and doing OK.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

I don't think that's what happened here, was just wondering if it'd ever happened before.

Oh shit now that I think of it I just watched a dateline where a lady staged her own abduction and they thought the husband killer.  She just showed up at a ex’s house and asked to stay.  She beat herself up and sent pics from a burner phone and all, ex figured out she’s nuts and kicked her out or called the cops and she was busted.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/16/2024 at 5:12 PM, Dbeasy said:

I agree with the usual advice to never cooperate with the police--especially if you are either, in fact, guilty, or if there is some (even a little) circumstantial evidence pointing to your guilt, as in this case.  But say I'm playing golf with friends and I'm texting my wife about dinner that night and that she'll go to the store to get stuff to cook, then our security cam shows her leaving the house, but she never returns home, her phone is off and she's nowhere to be found when I get home 3 hours later, I'm reaching out to friends to see if they know anything and I'm calling the police and telling them everything I know.  

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I agree with the usual advice to never cooperate with the police--especially if you are either, in fact, guilty, or if there is some (even a little) circumstantial evidence pointing to your guilt, as in this case.  But say I'm playing golf with friends and I'm texting my wife about dinner that night and that she'll go to the store to get stuff to cook, then our security cam shows her leaving the house, but she never returns home, her phone is off and she's nowhere to be found when I get home 3 hours later, I'm reaching out to friends to see if they know anything and I'm calling the police and telling them everything I know.  

Yeah, a husband with a disappeared wife should probably not talk to the popo, regardless of the facts.  He's gonna be an obvious suspect and the stories of cops wrongly focusing an investigation on an obvious suspect are too numerous to ignore.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

But say I'm playing golf with friends and I'm texting my wife about dinner that night and that she'll go to the store to get stuff to cook, then our security cam shows her leaving the house, but she never returns home, her phone is off and she's nowhere to be found when I get home 3 hours later, I'm reaching out to friends to see if they know anything and I'm calling the police and telling them everything I know.  

I mean, that's one way of telling us you killed your wife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

59 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

ZBT had one too, circa '92...guy robbed a bank on the Drag.  Big article in The Texas Monthly about it not long after the conviction.  He's out now and doing OK.

Really, only an affluent white guy could be doing ok with a fiduciary financial felony conviction in today's America.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Really, only an affluent white guy could be doing ok with a fiduciary financial felony conviction in today's America.

As far as i know , yeah he seems to have come out the other end aok. Owns a gym and takes people on hikes all over the country, kind of became a Zen master or some such.  Coincidentally to the OP, believe he is in San Antonio.  With a felony on his record, im sure his financial capabilities and other limitations that come with that will be somewhat limited, but at least he is a contributing member of society.  He would be appx 50 by now and not sure how long he did time for.

• Hook 'Em 1